C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Squeaking noise after lowering with H&R

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-20-2015, 05:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016, MB C220 AMG S205 4Matic
Squeaking noise after lowering with H&R

Hi guys,

I lowered my car a couple of days ago, with H&R lowering springs.
Almost straight after, just a couple of KM after we installed it at the shop.

It started squeaking from the front of the car, first it sounded like it was coming from the center of the dashboard just underneath the window.
I'we had the car on the lift again, to check that everything was mounted correctly and that all the bolts were tightened. And everything looked perfect. The springs were seated correctly in the seat beds.

The whole job was a very simple task, so there isn't a lot that could go wrong. Especially in the front, there just the wheels of, taking out the 1 bolt at the bottom of the coil, and then just 3 simple nuts at the top.
Has anybody had anything like this? The car is still like new, only about 2000km on the clock. Is it the ball-joints, the bushings? Maybe cause they work in a different "area" then they are used to?

I need to get this sorted out, I HATE when cars are making noises, esp when I just bought the car brand new..
Grateful for any help and experiences like this.
Old 04-20-2015, 02:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2013 BMW 328xi
If the only thing done was done at the shop that changed the springs I would think you should be talking to them about what they might have done that could have caused the problem.
Old 04-20-2015, 03:53 PM

Originally Posted by voip1
If the only thing done was done at the shop that changed the springs I would think you should be talking to them about what they might have done that could have caused the problem.
I was with them the whole time, I have myself probalby changed springs / shocks / coilovers on over 10 of my cars. So everything was done as it should and it is a very simple job.

We have now tried loosen the bolts to some bushings and etc when the car is on a lift with the wheels in normal mode, maybe it could be that there is a pressure in the bushings when everything is working in another angle. But that wasn't the problem either. The shop came to a conclusion that its probably the springs squeaking up against the rubber seat on top.

I have been in contact with H&R, and they are telling me I have to buy a tube that we put on the springs. But not enough that I have to pay extra for the tubes, we have to take appart everything again at a shop, and do another wheel alignment. I'm kinda pissed over this. They should warn you when you buy that this could occur. Then I would have bought it straight away. Its not the money for the tubes, but the whole job off doing everything over again.
Old 04-20-2015, 04:16 PM

2013 BMW 328xi
Originally Posted by IstvanC
I was with them the whole time, I have myself probalby changed springs / shocks / coilovers on over 10 of my cars. So everything was done as it should and it is a very simple job.

We have now tried loosen the bolts to some bushings and etc when the car is on a lift with the wheels in normal mode, maybe it could be that there is a pressure in the bushings when everything is working in another angle. But that wasn't the problem either. The shop came to a conclusion that its probably the springs squeaking up against the rubber seat on top.

I have been in contact with H&R, and they are telling me I have to buy a tube that we put on the springs. But not enough that I have to pay extra for the tubes, we have to take appart everything again at a shop, and do another wheel alignment. I'm kinda pissed over this. They should warn you when you buy that this could occur. Then I would have bought it straight away. Its not the money for the tubes, but the whole job off doing everything over again.
Well, that's the risk you take when you put aftermarket wheels or suspension parts on a car that hasn't even been on the market for very long.

It sounds like H&R is guessing and their proposed fix isn't even guaranteed to fix things.

I went down this road before with some aftermarket rims on an Audi 10+ years ago that required hub rings. Alignment and balance was never right after putting those rims on and after $1K+ trying to fix it I finally sold the rims and put the factory ones back on.

Sometimes it's just not worth the trouble.
Old 04-21-2015, 01:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
+1
Old 04-21-2015, 04:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 267 Likes on 163 Posts
S213

You dont have to realign when just loosening the struts and fitting them again.
Old 04-21-2015, 07:43 AM

2015 C400 4 Matic
A lot of times when you lower a car or stiffen a suspension it can cause squeaks. My Subaru was a big pain until I ripped all the interior out and re-padded all of the contact points.
Old 04-21-2015, 08:04 PM

2015 c400 amg, 2007 ml350, 2008 c350 amg sports package - totaled
same thing happened to me. i used vogtland springs and now have the exact same squeak. sounds like its coming from the center console. i was just going to put the stock springs back on. the vogtland springs are way too stiff for me. i like taking corners with them but you feel every bump on the road and it takes big bumps HARD. really hard. so i was just going to swap back to stock and if it continues to squeak i was going to take it to the dealer.
Old 04-22-2015, 03:27 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Lowering springs can cause the anti roll/sway bushings to be noisy. Try lubricating with rubber compatible spray or grease.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:42 AM

Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
Lowering springs can cause the anti roll/sway bushings to be noisy. Try lubricating with rubber compatible spray or grease.
We've already tried that! We have done everything, the mechanic said its from the springs, probably up against the rubber seat bed on top where the springs are squeaking.

I have now been send rubber tubes from H&R to put on, hopefully that will help. Cause its annoying the **** out of me.
Old 04-23-2015, 06:43 AM

Originally Posted by bguybrad
same thing happened to me. i used vogtland springs and now have the exact same squeak. sounds like its coming from the center console. i was just going to put the stock springs back on. the vogtland springs are way too stiff for me. i like taking corners with them but you feel every bump on the road and it takes big bumps HARD. really hard. so i was just going to swap back to stock and if it continues to squeak i was going to take it to the dealer.
Really? That sound really strange. Have you tried doing anything about it? The funny / good thing about my H&R springs is that they feel just as hard / comfy as my standard AMG springs. So thats good at least!
Old 04-23-2015, 04:34 PM

2015 c400 amg, 2007 ml350, 2008 c350 amg sports package - totaled
where did u get the HR springs from? i might try switching to those. or i might just go back to stock.
Old 04-23-2015, 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by bguybrad
where did u get the HR springs from? i might try switching to those. or i might just go back to stock.
I bought mine from eBay.de (I live in Sweden)
Old 05-05-2015, 04:05 PM

Just wanted to report that I think I've finally found the problem. After all these times at the workshop, trying to figure out what's wrong. Taking everything apart to be 110% sure everything is correctly mounted. It seems like it has nothing to do with my lowering springs..

I went to my dealership, and went in to the mechanics. They directly found a issue that's been reported on squeaking sounds from the front suspension. And a special lubricant oil is used. They didn't have time to do it there, so they borrowed me the oil and I lubricated it my self. It is the "rubber stop" or what ever it's called. That prevents the damper to fully compress. So I lubricated it as they told me. And for 2 days it's been good.

Pretty annoying from a brand new car, and the mechanics said they had a similar problem with the 204. And all this time I've been having headache over this annoying squeaking time. Well well let just hope this lubrication doesn't wear of to quickly.
Old 07-29-2015, 01:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

4 wheeled car.
IstvanC, do you have any photos of your car lowered?
Old 08-06-2015, 07:29 AM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
Past:2010 ML63 AMG, 2011 C63 AMG, 2011 E63 AMG, 2015 C400 4matic & 2014 CLS550 4matic. Now: 2017 C43
Good to know.
Thanks.
Old 08-07-2015, 07:54 AM
RTX

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015, W205, C 220 BlueTEC AMG Line
Just wanted to report that I think I've finally found the problem. After all these times at the workshop, trying to figure out what's wrong. Taking everything apart to be 110% sure everything is correctly mounted. It seems like it has nothing to do with my lowering springs..

I went to my dealership, and went in to the mechanics. They directly found a issue that's been reported on squeaking sounds from the front suspension. And a special lubricant oil is used. They didn't have time to do it there, so they borrowed me the oil and I lubricated it my self. It is the "rubber stop" or what ever it's called. That prevents the damper to fully compress. So I lubricated it as they told me. And for 2 days it's been good.

Pretty annoying from a brand new car, and the mechanics said they had a similar problem with the 204. And all this time I've been having headache over this annoying squeaking time. Well well let just hope this lubrication doesn't wear of to quickly.
Well, for next time, ask the shop how many w205 have they actually lowered before yours.
As you're now happy with the results, perhaps you can show off a bit with some new photos?
Old 08-08-2015, 10:13 AM
Super Moderator

Received 175 Likes on 142 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I know this might sound counter intuitive but if the lubrication does not last try some belt spray. It is elastomer compatible. Contains no seal swell agents & is designed to work really hard for a long time.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:38 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
W205 C250 AMG
Mine's is squeeking too. Use a rubber hose and slide them up real nice. If it's hard to put in it, just use grease. Upper and lower sides. Now. it's all good. No more squeeking
Old 10-26-2015, 12:24 AM

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts
w205 c400 c63s
I bought mine from eBay.de (I live in Sweden)
Hi am using H&r too.. just want to find out if i got exactly the same as you it.. its 1.2 inch drop front and rear bright blue color of the spring.. also , i find it stiffer compared to stock when the car is on high speed and car can be bouncy coming/approaching bridge or uneven road on HIGH speed... are they normal to h&r for 4matic sports suspension
Old 10-26-2015, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by darwin329
Hi am using H&r too.. just want to find out if i got exactly the same as you it.. its 1.2 inch drop front and rear bright blue color of the spring.. also , i find it stiffer compared to stock when the car is on high speed and car can be bouncy coming/approaching bridge or uneven road on HIGH speed... are they normal to h&r for 4matic sports suspension
Hi! It couldn't be the same, first of all I then had the C220 Bluetec RWD S205 (Wagon), so its not the same as petrol. And not the same for the 4matic.

For my new 4matic I haven't bought any yet, I think I'll wait for the spring to come. Just idiotic for me to lower it before the snow comes
Old 10-26-2015, 01:58 PM

w205 c400 c63s
Thanks for the reply. Enjoy your new 4matic😊
Old 11-10-2015, 05:44 PM

w205 c400 c63s

Hi where exactly the rubber/damper is located in the front suspension? is it right in the center of the spring? top or bottom? I changed my springs too just to make sure i wont get the squeaking sound in the future . Can i also ask the name of the OIL so i can get it at the dealership.. Thanks so much
Old 11-15-2015, 02:28 PM

w205 c400 c63s
Originally Posted by vortechvr6
Mine's is squeeking too. Use a rubber hose and slide them up real nice. If it's hard to put in it, just use grease. Upper and lower sides. Now. it's all good. No more squeeking

hi where do you exactly apply the grease? am afraid i might get the squeaking sound too
Old 11-15-2015, 02:29 PM

w205 c400 c63s
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I know this might sound counter intuitive but if the lubrication does not last try some belt spray. It is elastomer compatible. Contains no seal swell agents & is designed to work really hard for a long time.
where can i get the belt spray? can you recommend brand? thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Squeaking noise after lowering with H&R