C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Soooo confused about C300 suspension options

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-25-2015, 01:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC
Question Soooo confused about C300 suspension options

Getting close to buying a C300, I thought I understood the suspension options, but just came back from test driving two cars and now I am confused.

I have spent a lot of time with the build tool on mbusa.com, and from that I was under the impression there were three suspension options (not including the AirMATIC) and which one you got was deterred by the top level "package option" you picked:
  • C300 Sedan -> the std. supsension
  • C300 Sedan w/ Luxury Package -> (485) Comfort supension for Elegance
  • C300 Sedan w/ Sport Package -> (486) Sport Suspension

But now I am thinking there are really only two options (not including the AirMATIC), ins't clear to me which one the std. ends up with. I have two order sample order sheets for std. C300s by two different dealers and both ended up with the (485) Comfort supension for Elegance, so maybe that's the default, but that seemed at odds with what today's sales person said.

I also have a copy of the W205 Dealer Ordering Guide, and I can't find a 3rd non-AirMATIC suspension option (though if it was std. I suppose it might not show up as an option....)

Soooo
Old 04-25-2015, 02:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 4Matic 2015
Also note, probably due to a bug in their system - you can still order Sport Package with (485) Comfort supension for Elegance. Whichever way you choose - make sure dealer picks both package and suspension number you want.
Old 04-25-2015, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I had a C300 Luxury with 17" tires as a loaner, for over a week, while my C300 base with 18" tires was in for service. Even with the difference in tires, both suspension setups felt basically the same to me. The 18's may have been slightly stiffer, but any difference was very slight.

This led me to believe that both the base and Luxury share the same suspensions. I may be wrong, but I still haven't seen anything but the 485 and 486 suspension codes on any W205 with the steel suspension.
Old 04-25-2015, 10:38 PM

2015 C300
Get the 486 suspension DO NOT GET the other unless you are over the age of 60 and you get a car to go from a to b... I have the other and its REALLY bad Camry like comfortable in a straight line but make one quick turn and pray for your life.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:55 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
The sport suspension in Miami seems a waste. Their roads are mostly cemet and there's not a curvy road to be found within a few hundred miles to really enjoy the slight sharper handling for the trade off of feeling how poorly they maintain they maintain roads.

I think al 3 steel suspicions are fairly spaced apart in differences. Not huge. And airmatic simulates the 3 but always flatter and more forgiving and negates most of the effect of runflats. Test drive all 4 and pick what you think will fit your purpose.

Last edited by floridadriver; 04-26-2015 at 10:58 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 10:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by floridadriver
The sport suspension in Miami seems a waste. Their roads are mostly cemet and there's not a curvy road to be found within a few hundred miles to really enjoy the slight sharper handling for the trade off of feeling how poor they maintain they maintain roads.

I think al 3 steel suspicions are fairly spaced apart in differences. Not huge. And airmatic simulates the 3 but always flatter and more forgiving. Test drive all 4 and pick what you think will fit your purpose.
Yes, not everyone will need, or even want, the Sport suspension. The base setup handles fairly well, especially with the 18" tires, and is very easy to control in hard cornering. That was my experience after 7 months in one. Now I have A sport, and while it is a bit flatter in turns and feels more agile to me, it doesn't dramatically change the character of the car. I have yet to drive a steel suspension W205 that feels like a Camry ... none are softly sprung and all offer a fairly stiff ride.

This is not a track car, nor is it intended to be. It does offer capable handling with decent ride characteristics, but it is neither the best handling nor the most comfortable suspension system in its segment. Competent yes, class leading no.

Last edited by StanNH; 04-26-2015 at 11:04 AM.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by StanNH
Yes, not everyone will need, or even want, the Sport suspension.
I think up where you are it would make more sense. No autobahn, but NH has some fun roads. Florida you're excited if you can get up to speed on rural straight and flat streets, an expressway or A1A. Scenic and great weather sure...but... not an enthusiast driver choice. But cars which LOOK clean and sporty are popular. Though Miami and some other areas here, a MB won't turn many heads or get you front valet parking...too many $250k+ exotics here.

That said, still doesn't keep the w205 from being THE perfect car to have here on any set up. Classy, great size, good combination of everything. And won't be stolen before that fancy Lamborghini parked next to you.

Last edited by floridadriver; 04-26-2015 at 11:15 AM.

Trending Topics

Old 04-26-2015, 11:35 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Yes, not everyone will need, or even want, the Sport suspension. The base setup handles fairly well, especially with the 18" tires, and is very easy to control in hard cornering. That was my experience after 7 months in one. Now I have A sport, and while it is a bit flatter in turns and feels more agile to me, it doesn't dramatically change the character of the car. I have yet to drive a steel suspension W205 that feels like a Camry ... none are softly sprung and all offer a fairly stiff ride.

This is not a track car, nor is it intended to be. It does offer capable handling with decent ride characteristics, but it is neither the best handling nor the most comfortable suspension system in its segment. Competent yes, class leading no.
In the handling dept. I am looking more for competent than class leading, I don't plan to take this car autocrossing, nor are the road conditions on my daily commit partially sporty (though maybe more interesting than floridadriver's).

Somewhat randomly I actually got chance to sit in a C300 (400? shouldn't matter here) with the Sport Package Option and discovered the sport seats to be somewhat tighter than I would want on daily basis (though good if I wanted to autocross), so it seems likely I won't get the sport's suspension (if as I suspect the sport suspension is only available with the Sport Package Option).

StanNH, I am sure it was painful, but FWIW, I find your extend experience w/ a broad range of 2015 C-class variants quite helpful and I am thankful that you are sharing it here.
Old 04-26-2015, 11:43 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by floridadriver
The sport suspension in Miami seems a waste. Their roads are mostly cemet and there's not a curvy road to be found within a few hundred miles to really enjoy the slight sharper handling for the trade off of feeling how poorly they maintain they maintain roads.

I think al 3 steel suspicions are fairly spaced apart in differences. Not huge. And airmatic simulates the 3 but always flatter and more forgiving and negates most of the effect of runflats. Test drive all 4 and pick what you think will fit your purpose.
Especially after last winter their are certainly road maintenance problems up here.

My goal yesterday was to drive two of the options, but I am not sure I succeeded. Part of my goal for this thread is to pick up enough information so I can ask for the right thing to test drive.

Seriously tempted by the AirMATIC (when possible defer a decision!), but planning on holding on to this car for a long time and I think the potential maintenance issues of the AirMATIC have me scared off (also not clear to me its possible to find C300 with AirMATIC to test drive).
Old 04-26-2015, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pdp8
StanNH, I am sure it was painful, but FWIW, I find your extend experience w/ a broad range of 2015 C-class variants quite helpful and I am thankful that you are sharing it here.
Thank you, I appreciate that. In the end, it all worked out fine thanks to a very supportive dealer. Between all the loaners and my own two cars, it did give me the opportunity to drive several variations of the C-Class.

The W205 is, in fact, a well balanced and well thought out compact sedan which does provide a fairly comfortable ride with very good handling qualities. As with any option, the choice of suspension depends solely on your own needs. We are all built differently, drive differently, and have different priorities in what we want in a car. Nothing beats hands on experience ... and all the comments and opinions aren't worth a single test drive in the car you're hoping to purchase.

One person's "must have" is another person's "must not have." Putting all my service issues aside, my new C300 Sport was special ordered and is exactly what I want in this car. My first C300 was available, and close to what I thought I wanted but, as I lived with the car on a daily basis, I found there were some things I would have changed. Ideally, you can come up with a configuration that will nail it on your order. You should wind up with a car that makes you smile.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:17 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
I had the bright idea of asking MB USA via the web site, here's the reply:

Thank you for your email to Mercedes-Benz USA.

The 2015 C-Class Sedan is equipped with the standard Comfort Suspension.

The Sport Suspension is available with the Sport Package.

The AIRMATIC Air Suspension is available with the AIRMATIC Package.

We appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Kind regards,
As a programer I find "2015 C-Class Sedan" a maddeningly unspecific name, but I think this is pretty definitive that there are only two steel suspension available for the C300.

This means in spite of my best efforts on Saturday I failed to drive a car with the sports suspension...oh well
Old 04-27-2015, 08:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pdp8
I had the bright idea of asking MB USA via the web site, here's the reply:

"The Sport Suspension is available with the Sport Package."
I find this line very interesting because they did not say "equipped." I wonder if those 485 setups in the Sport weren't mistakes after all, and MB is now offering a choice of suspensions with the Sport Package.
Old 04-27-2015, 09:49 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC
I find this line very interesting because they did not say "equipped." I wonder if those 485 setups in the Sport weren't mistakes after all, and MB is now offering a choice of suspensions with the Sport Package.
Hmm, she also said "AIRMATIC Air Suspension is available with the AIRMATIC Package", I think 'available' may be just be how MB's support people are trained to say equipped - though who knows.

It isn't unique to MB, but I love how big corporations can be so unclear.
Old 06-09-2015, 07:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300 4Matic
Anyone ever get an update or find out if the Sports Package should be equipped with only the sports suspension (486)? Was it determined to be an error in ordering that the 485 comfort suspension should not be able to be had with the Sports Package?

If so, have or will dealers update the springs from the 485 to the 486 under warranty?

If it is actually an option - has anyone chose on their own, to equip their W205 with the Sports Package and the 485 Suspension vs the 486?

Thanks
Old 06-09-2015, 09:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by dnice-1

If it is actually an option - has anyone chose on their own, to equip their W205 with the Sports Package and the 485 Suspension vs the 486?
Why? That's like buying a Mustang without the V8...

All I know is when I test drove a C300 that did not have the sport suspension (all they had on the lot), it felt too soft for me...especially in the curves. In addition, I also ordered the 19" wheels for even better handling/stopping since they come with Summer tires.

My Winter wheels I'll be ordering will be 18" though...with Winter performance run-flat tires...Pirelli Winter Sottozero Serie II (210), 225/45R18 on all four wheels.
Old 06-10-2015, 09:26 AM

Mercedes W205 C180 Amg, Mercedes X205 GLC250 4MATIC Exclusive
If i were you i would choose 677 Suspension (Same as 485 comfort suspension but 15mm lower)
Old 06-10-2015, 10:25 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
I have the C300 with standard steel suspension. My biggest regret is not getting the air suspension. I just completed a 7,500 mile cross country tour, and I could not believe how bad this suspension was on really bad roads - or even bad parking lots. Here in South Florida roads are mainly smooth, so it wasn't until I got to a place like Colorado Springs (The worst roads and parking lots I have ever seen - I mean really really bad!), that I realized how bad it was. I have 18" wheels. It's like the tires are made of solid rubber. When I drove over one of the many cracks in the road, the suspension felt like it was bottoming out and sent a loud bang and shutter through the whole car - actually painful. My passengers asked me why I paid so much money for a car with such an awful ride, and I had no good answer. Even going through a parking lot at 5 mph, it still bangs hard over the big cracks. I can't believe more people don't complain about it on this forum.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:37 AM

c300
Originally Posted by hpilot
I can't believe more people don't complain about it on this forum.
People need to stop complaining on these forums and start complaining to their service advisors. I have never seen a forum with so many complains.. we definitely don't need more lol.

I have the sport suspension. very good ride. no issues so far. i didn't even know about the Airmatic till after i ordered the car lol. No regrets. rides fantastic
Old 06-10-2015, 10:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by laz81

People need to stop complaining on these forums and start complaining to their service advisors. I have never seen a forum with so many complains.. we definitely don't need more lol.
Isn't that the whole idea behind a PUBLIC forum...to voice concerns & get information?

BTW, a lot of the complaints I've read here were posted AFTER dealing with their dealership.
Old 06-10-2015, 10:51 AM

2015 C300

I have the sport suspension. very good ride. no issues so far. i didn't even know about the Airmatic till after i ordered the car lol. No regrets. rides fantastic
OK, lets call it discussions instead of complaining - that's what you do on forums. Unless there is something wrong with my car. I can't imagine a firmer suspension than I have (sport) being described as a good ride over rough roads. Maybe I need to have it looked at?
Old 06-10-2015, 11:28 AM

c300
I live in Montreal and the roads are really bad here. Your suspension shouldn't be bottoming out and sending a loud bang over cracks.. I get that only when i drive over crazy deep potholes (we have a lot of those in Montreal). I have the sport suspension (486). for me the suspension is good.. very good actually. Maybe you should have it checked out.. nothing to lose
Old 06-10-2015, 11:48 AM

c300
Originally Posted by MASSC300
Isn't that the whole idea behind a PUBLIC forum...to voice concerns & get information?

BTW, a lot of the complaints I've read here were posted AFTER dealing with their dealership.
The only thing you can read here are complaints. 2 out of 3 threads are about wind noise or my car is not starting or keyless go is not working or my wipers are to tight. As an owner of a W205.. i can't relate to most of these. It's nice to have discussions about things regarding the car but it seems the every thread is a negative one. These are new cars and under warranty... Just go get it fixed. Some issues (Wind noise in particular) were horribly handled by Mercedes. Maybe make it a sticky so everyone can read on it. I guess some people come here looking for things to complain about..Personally i bought this car knowing their would be issues (like all other cars).. if any issues arise i'll go to the dealer and get it fixed.. if they refuse to fix it or can't fix it then i'll open a "complain" thread.
Old 06-10-2015, 12:18 PM

2015 C300
The only thing you can read here are complaints. 2 out of 3 threads are about wind noise or my car is not starting or keyless go is not working or my wipers are to tight. As an owner of a W205.. i can't relate to most of these. It's nice to have discussions about things regarding the car but it seems the every thread is a negative one. These are new cars and under warranty... Just go get it fixed. Some issues (Wind noise in particular) were horribly handled by Mercedes. Maybe make it a sticky so everyone can read on it. I guess some people come here looking for things to complain about..Personally i bought this car knowing their would be issues (like all other cars).. if any issues arise i'll go to the dealer and get it fixed.. if they refuse to fix it or can't fix it then i'll open a "complain" thread.
The problem is that most things people complain about here can't be fixed. Why would someone come to a forum like this just to sing the praises about their car? They come here to see if others have the same problem, and if anyone else might have a suggestion to remedy their issue. I really don't think it's meant to be a fan site. What is a "complain" thread?
Old 06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG

The only thing you can read here are complaints. 2 out of 3 threads are about wind noise or my car is not starting or keyless go is not working or my wipers are to tight.
Then don't read those threads that involve customer's complaints, simple as that. The thread titles are very clear.

Sounds like you're the one complaining now.

Old 06-10-2015, 12:31 PM

c300
Originally Posted by MASSC300
Then don't read those threads that involve customer's complaints, simple as that. The thread titles are very clear.

Sounds like you're the one complaining now.

I don't read those threads.. And this thread's title as you can see is not associated with a complain. I replied to your comment. I am definitely not complaining. You quoted me and i replied back with my observation. anyways enough . I hope you won't be opening any complain threads when you get you car

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Soooo confused about C300 suspension options