C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Is it the Burmester or the iPod?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-26-2015, 05:33 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c-class
Is it the Burmester or the iPod?

Just picked up a c300 sport (yes with leather!). Before I picked up the car I went to buy an iPod Touch. I loaded all 10,000 of my songs into it, so it would be ready for when i picked up the car.

Driving the car with the ipod plugged in i am noticing that the songs "crackle" sometimes, I don't really know how to explain it, it's not a "skip," it's like a crackle or a corruption in the music file. It is doing it on most songs. Like once or twice during the song.

This never happened with my old ipod classic in my 2013 subaru.

Is this a Burmester thing? Or is it a problem with my ipod (maybe songs got corrupted when I loaded the ipod?)

Maybe what I need to do to answer my own question is plug the old ipod into the car and see what happens?
Old 04-26-2015, 05:41 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Do you have the AVC (Auto volume) set to on?

Other thing to try is to see if it is the seat adjustment switches " buzzing" with harmonics - see the Posts on here about Burmester noises..
Old 04-26-2015, 05:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Take a look at this thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ight=Burmester
You are looking for the video loaded by crxsnow.

Don't know if either of these apply to your car, but worth a look.

Last edited by jolt8631; 04-26-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 04-26-2015, 08:41 PM

C450 (pre-ordered Jan 14)
I had a problem that would fit that description. Turned out to be a bad cable running from the iPod to the stereo.
Old 04-27-2015, 04:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I've not tried auto volume on, but I have no issues playing music from my iPod Classic 120GB.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:23 AM

c-class
It is not a rattle. It is more like a distortion in the song, like a bit of static-y noise a few times during the song. Like instead of a high pitch when someone is singing high/loud, you have a scratchy static noise.

I am going to plug the ipod in to another car and see if it happens there.
i have a feeling this is an itunes glitch or an ipod glitch, if this is not something that you guys are experiencing

i will also check the cable, thanks!!!!!

will report back.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Its going to be a process of elimination. The same track on multiple devices etc. Its worth checking if auto volume is on in vehicle settings as this has been reported by some to cause clipping (signal distortion). It sounds like it could be this in your case.

I remember the other week playing a new Madonna album and this track came on with crackling, I wasn't happy... until I realise it was a fake vinyl scratch noise as part of the music that I'd never heard before because the Burmester was the only system sensitive enough to pick it out.
Old 04-27-2015, 08:38 AM

W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
I personally think it may be the Burmester.... I get the same crackling once or twice during some songs... Mine are all from iTunes playing from an SD card.... Not too sure
Old 04-27-2015, 08:58 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
Does it sound like digital switching noise common on early CD players?
Old 04-27-2015, 02:16 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
I have the same setup with no problems at all. However, I would never buy music from iTunes, so all my songs are 320 kps mp3.

"I remember the other week playing a new Madonna album" Really, Madonna!
Old 04-28-2015, 02:08 PM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by ejperryman
Just picked up a c300 sport (yes with leather!). Before I picked up the car I went to buy an iPod Touch. I loaded all 10,000 of my songs into it, so it would be ready for when i picked up the car.

Driving the car with the ipod plugged in i am noticing that the songs "crackle" sometimes, I don't really know how to explain it, it's not a "skip," it's like a crackle or a corruption in the music file. It is doing it on most songs. Like once or twice during the song.

This never happened with my old ipod classic in my 2013 subaru.

Is this a Burmester thing? Or is it a problem with my ipod (maybe songs got corrupted when I loaded the ipod?)

Maybe what I need to do to answer my own question is plug the old ipod into the car and see what happens?

I have the exact same issue. It is weird because it doesn't skip but it sounds like a scratchiness and you are right, 1-2 times a song. I tried a different cable and it still does it. I have a nano ipod, what are you using?
Old 04-28-2015, 02:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

And do you have auto volume enabled?
Old 04-28-2015, 03:01 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by coladin
I have the exact same issue. It is weird because it doesn't skip but it sounds like a scratchiness and you are right, 1-2 times a song. I tried a different cable and it still does it. I have a nano ipod, what are you using?
Why don't you take your ipod to a dealer showroom and attach it to one of the cars there. That may help you troubleshoot. I brought a thumb drive with me when I was shopping for this car to see how it would sound...
Old 04-28-2015, 11:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300
It's Burmester. I'm severely disappointed. I've tried messing with all the settings on the car as well as my phone. Pretty much the only time it doesn't do this is when you're playing a CD (which I do not do anymore). I usually stream from my Android, and it's always there no matter the app, or audio quality.

People have said to adjust settings, which does help, but it just doesn't do well when you're streaming.

So many factors effect it, phone settings, audio quality, etc, but yes, everyone has been complaining about it.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:23 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
Originally Posted by hpilot
Why don't you take your ipod to a dealer showroom and attach it to one of the cars there. That may help you troubleshoot. I brought a thumb drive with me when I was shopping for this car to see how it would sound...

I don't think it is the iPod because it worked perfectly fine in my AMGs, my wife's E wagon, I think it has something to do with compatibility with the new sound system. I am willing to bet if I get a new iPod it won't do it. Mine is almost full so I may do so anyways.
Old 06-13-2015, 07:09 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
I hope this helps everyone that has an issue with the sound quality in their C class with Burmester.

Try resetting the command system. Reset is found below the "auto volume" in the vehicle settings. It is one click down and off the screen.
It will wipe all your settings, but for me, it has solved all the audio problems I had.

Popping/skipping
Poor HD radio/sat radio quality

I have not put many minutes on the system since making this discovery I wanted to share with you all. I'll monitor and update if anything goes back to bad.

Good luck and best regards,
Old 06-13-2015, 10:03 PM

c300
Rattling speakers is in your head

It won't matter because the dealer technicians will tell you they don't hear it and MBUSA has denied there is an issue. My dealer said I was hearing things. It is clear as day if you listen to CDs or iTunes music. Mostly vocals and high pitch guitar. Not noticeable at all with bass. So it has to be the higher to mid range frequencies that cause it. The amazing thing is Burmester is well aware of the issue and you should contact them by email or call. They are taking VIN numbers and have methods to pimp the door that they can email you to show your service technician. The crackling and rattle of the speakers was bad enough I had to turn the car in. There would be no way I could drive a car with this lousy audio system. On top of that every single bluetooth phone call would also crackle and buzz the speakers. How Mercedes Benz can release a luxury car with these problems is beyond belief. Isn't there any oversight. Doesn't the CEO of Mercedes like to listen to music in the car. How can this be acceptable.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:12 AM

2015 C300
I'm writing to Burmester today and I'll post up their response if/when I get it.

In the meantime, I've searched high and low in my vehicle settings area and I do NOT have an option for auto-volume anywhere. I can tell it's on because I can hear the stereo get louder once I hit around 15 mph and quieter when I drop below that.

That combined with my car's >sometimes< inability to index either of my plugged in iPhones, and sometimes the complete inability to connect over Bluetooth makes me think my command software needs to be reinstalled. It took three months for my dealer to agree to the reinstall in my 2013 C250 when it had other issues, so I see a long, crackly road in my future.
Old 06-15-2015, 07:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by falterego
I'm writing to Burmester today and I'll post up their response if/when I get it.

In the meantime, I've searched high and low in my vehicle settings area and I do NOT have an option for auto-volume anywhere. I can tell it's on because I can hear the stereo get louder once I hit around 15 mph and quieter when I drop below that.

That combined with my car's >sometimes< inability to index either of my plugged in iPhones, and sometimes the complete inability to connect over Bluetooth makes me think my command software needs to be reinstalled. It took three months for my dealer to agree to the reinstall in my 2013 C250 when it had other issues, so I see a long, crackly road in my future.
Sadly I doubt Bermester can help you if speaker mountings or other parts in the car might be causing this. Burmester might be able to help with signal input specifications if you're going to pursue that/if its a gain issue.

The auto volume option is in VEHICLE SETTINGS (press the car on the dash then toggle down and click SETTINGS. A really silly place to put it IMHO. In my BMW auto volume settings are under the tone/sound menu, which is far easier to find.
Old 06-15-2015, 03:20 PM

C250 AMG Line
Might sound strange but it's the ambient lighting. I'm UK based with the same problem that was referred to MB Germany after about 5 different visits to the dealer. As far as I can tell the fix was to replace the Ambient Lighting. Low and behold I'd say the Hi Fi Audio is as good as solved - although on the telephone resonance can still be heard. It's 100 times better than it was though.
Old 06-19-2015, 05:03 PM

2015 C400 4Matic
No change, it slowly creeps back in. Could it be a buffer issue? Memory?
I am disappointed frankly.

Is there a contact e-mail for Burmester.

Originally Posted by Futuresante
I hope this helps everyone that has an issue with the sound quality in their C class with Burmester.

Try resetting the command system. Reset is found below the "auto volume" in the vehicle settings. It is one click down and off the screen.
It will wipe all your settings, but for me, it has solved all the audio problems I had.

Popping/skipping
Poor HD radio/sat radio quality

I have not put many minutes on the system since making this discovery I wanted to share with you all. I'll monitor and update if anything goes back to bad.

Good luck and best regards,

Last edited by Futuresante; 06-19-2015 at 05:12 PM. Reason: adding question
Old 09-04-2015, 10:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400
Bump, did anyone find a solution for the static noise that comes and goes when playing music loudly?
Old 09-04-2015, 12:30 PM

2015 C300 4Matic Luxury
Originally Posted by rc400
Bump, did anyone find a solution for the static noise that comes and goes when playing music loudly?
I am no expert but when I heard it a couple of times in last two-three weeks it sounded like something that gets triggered by a specific frequency after a volume threshold. If that is the reason, there may not be any solution.

What is your equalizer set to? I am at 7-4-3. Try this, the problem is minimal for me to ignore.
Old 09-04-2015, 01:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C400
Originally Posted by Zenyatta
I am no expert but when I heard it a couple of times in last two-three weeks it sounded like something that gets triggered by a specific frequency after a volume threshold. If that is the reason, there may not be any solution.

What is your equalizer set to? I am at 7-4-3. Try this, the problem is minimal for me to ignore.
Mine is set at 0-0- -2 .

I'll give it a try at 7-4-3, thx!
Old 09-04-2015, 07:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C300
Plug your ipod into your computer and play it with the same wire to see if you encounter the same issue. It could very well be the cable. Does the Ipod have bluetooth feature? if so, it may be better to just do bluetooth instead. I've been playing songs off of my phone via bluetooth and it works great.

Also, what's this auto volume thing that everyone is talking about? where do i go to turn it on/off?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Is it the Burmester or the iPod?