C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2015 C300 Light upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-28-2015, 05:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes C300
2015 C300 Light upgrade

I currently own a 2015 C300 with the regular halogen lights.

I really wanted to upgrade the headlights to Xeon Headlights with HID (which imho looks way more nicer). I checked with the dealership, they said they cannot do it (without providing me a reason as to why they won't).

Can the headlights be upgraded? or is it a limitation in the car that u cannot upgrade headlights (coz *i don't know* the Xeon lights may need more power or something?).

Also, upgrading the headlights should not affect the warranty right?

Any response is highly appreciated.

Thanks
Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts
G63, C190 AMG GTC, W209 CLK63 BS, W208 CLK430
HID requires a new system because the power requirements are different and needs a balast to manage the power requirement. Regular bulbs are like a candle compared to HID which is like a laser pointer.

You may find a kit for HID's but you'd have to buy entire new headlights and get them installed and wired, easily over $1000 for the change to HID.

Xenon by comparison is also a bulb like Halogen but the gasses are different. Xenon lasts longer, looks more whiter and is just a bit brighter with the same wattage, but it costs more, and it's still a bulb compared to HID which uses lenses to focus light created by an electric arc in a vacuum of metal vapor in a capsule.

There are HID kits for universal systems but would require modification to your headlights including cutting and such (depending on the kit), which could void your warranty.

-RyanG
Old 04-29-2015, 11:22 AM

2015 Mercedes C300
Thanks RyanG for the information. The above information was highly useful.

Its unfortunate that Mercedes doesn't allow you to upgrade the lights.

But to your point about the Xenon Headlights (without the HID), I can still get those correct without voiding the warranty (since its the same wattage and all).
Old 04-29-2015, 11:26 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
CLA-250, C-300
Originally Posted by aceachuth
Thanks RyanG for the information. The above information was highly useful.

Its unfortunate that Mercedes doesn't allow you to upgrade the lights.

But to your point about the Xenon Headlights (without the HID), I can still get those correct without voiding the warranty (since its the same wattage and all).
Search the board. There is a guy in here that did a conversion, if you really like the look and are savvy on handling electric components, you might be able to do the conversion DIY.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Mercedes C200 (W205) Avantgarde petrol RWD
Originally Posted by bartola
Search the board. There is a guy in here that did a conversion, if you really like the look and are savvy on handling electric components, you might be able to do the conversion DIY.
This is the thread- this guy is persistent
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ghlight=Huyuci
Old 04-29-2015, 03:51 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by aceachuth
Yes, but they are totally worthless. The coating they put on the bulbs ruins your visibility in rain and fog. Read about it here
http://www.ebay.com/gds/Whats-the-Di...8258733/g.html
Old 04-19-2016, 01:11 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C180K 2009
2015 C300 Light upgrade

Hello
greetings from Mauritius
It is difficult to upgrade your existing Halogen headlamp to Mercedes projector lens+ HID ones due to coding issues and headlamp harness differences.
What is easier to perform is a halogen to HID conversion, by using H7 HID bulbs made for reflector headlamps(bulbs are either for LHD or RHD) and Quick-start CANBUS ballasts rated at 35W.
IF you want more info you can send me a PM.
Old 04-19-2016, 09:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by autolight_mtius
Hello
greetings from Mauritius
It is difficult to upgrade your existing Halogen headlamp to Mercedes projector lens+ HID ones due to coding issues and headlamp harness differences.
What is easier to perform is a halogen to HID conversion, by using H7 HID bulbs made for reflector headlamps(bulbs are either for LHD or RHD) and Quick-start CANBUS ballasts rated at 35W.
IF you want more info you can send me a PM.
^^^^^
This!

Question? Can momentary on functions and keyless entry headlight on functions be disabled with command? This would need to be done for most HID conversions.
Old 04-20-2016, 01:32 AM

C180K 2009
2015 C300 Light upgrade

Hello Mr J
Why would you want to disable these functions?
And as far as i know they are not accessible via COMAND.
Have a nice day
Old 04-20-2016, 03:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by autolight_mtius
Hello Mr J
Why would you want to disable these functions?
And as far as i know they are not accessible via COMAND.
Have a nice day
Unless the tech has changed since I last played with it, momentary on functions will cause problems with HID systems very quickly. The momentary on function for headlamps either needs to be extended for a greater interval or turned off altogether in order to avoid damaging the HID system.

Has something changed recently that I'm not aware off? I think all the Morimoto retro kits still advise to disable the momentary on function for HID headlamps. Depending on the setup, sometimes the DRL need to be disabled unless that function can be routed to a LED emitter that also tricks the canbus.
Old 04-20-2016, 03:45 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
Personally I don't know why Mercedes even offered the C Class with the standard halogen lights. Why not offer roll up windows while your at it.
Old 04-20-2016, 04:14 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by CO2010
Personally I don't know why Mercedes even offered the C Class with the standard halogen lights. Why not offer roll up windows while your at it.

Because that way they have something they can upcharge on packages. Most ridiculous they've done was offer folding rear seats as an upgrade option....
Old 04-21-2016, 12:17 AM

C180K 2009
2015 C300 Light upgrade

OP asked about a way to upgrade the halogen headlamp, which comes without Xenon and LED strip. That's why i suggested the upgrade to HID bulbs.
AFAIK the momentary-on will not affect the working of the HID ballast(lifetime maybe) as the quick-start ones go to maximum brightness in about 6-8 seconds. I have HID on my fog lamps in my W204 and i have been using them for about a year now with no problem.

Even here in Mauritius i don't understand why Xenon+ Led wasn't given in the basic packages. We're also busy doing retrofits for front and rear camera in those cars. Cheap moves from MB
Old 09-20-2017, 04:19 PM

2016 mercedes c300
Hi I also made the mistakes that you did. I would like to ask you more information on it. Is there another way I can reach you to discuss more into this?
Old 09-20-2017, 05:31 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
The momentary on is an issue with cheaper ballasts because with HID the ballast has to strike the arc which is a high voltage (burst) ignition sequence for the light to start working. Once the arc is stable the ballast adjusts voltage down as the light warms up. Basically, continual high discharge rates and cheap capacitors or components don't go well in the long run. It'll work for a while and then die. You can get quality digital ballasts which are suited for momentary on/off (e.g. those suited for high beams) but even there it's difficult to know unless you have reviews or recommendations.

Have a look at retro fit LED instead of HID kits. They use the same principle (i.e. replacement bulb which is suited to fit the socket of choice), but their electronics are completely different and much better suited to short on/off bursts. The LED kits can however cause you other issues - especially on CANbus systems which are designed to monitor the load of things like your lighting for example.
Old 09-20-2017, 06:56 PM
SPONSOR/MBworld Guru

Received 211 Likes on 202 Posts
MB W204/W212, BMW E66, Porsche 958, VW MK6 TDI, Maserati Ghibli SQ4
Originally Posted by DBOC205

Have a look at retro fit LED instead of HID kits. They use the same principle (i.e. replacement bulb which is suited to fit the socket of choice), but their electronics are completely different and much better suited to short on/off bursts. The LED kits can however cause you other issues - especially on CANbus systems which are designed to monitor the load of things like your lighting for example.
In addition.... LEDs in housing not designed specifically to capture LED surface mounted light spread will result in reduced throw distance, dark spots, and light scatter. LEDs just don't have true 360 spread which your housing was designed to capture.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by AZN Optics
In addition.... LEDs in housing not designed specifically to capture LED surface mounted light spread will result in reduced throw distance, dark spots, and light scatter. LEDs just don't have true 360 spread which your housing was designed to capture.
+1

I've retrofitted LEDs on other vehicles with reflector housings as fog lights. They will not work well for retrofitting the main headlamps in a reflector housing. The housing would need to be replaced with a projector style. I haven't seen any aftermarket LEDs yet that can compete with a good HID setup. The factory intelligent LEDs on my car are amazing but all the aftermarket LEDs I've seen are not even in the same league.
Old 09-21-2017, 01:13 AM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
All true. The lights need to be projector based. Even if you're ignoring the illegality of doing so, using HID or LED on a basic reflector style light is not only a danger, but a bloody nuisance to other road users.
Old 09-21-2017, 07:01 AM

C180K 2009
Led bulbs nowadays come with certifications such as DOT, Emark, Rohs and CE.
Cut-offs are similar to halogens, as bright as HIDs and glare-free.
If you'd like a pair we'd be glad to have them shipped to you. Shipping fee applies.
Old 02-20-2024, 10:10 PM

C300 Mercedes 2015
Originally Posted by bartola
I installed halogen headlights in my c300. The only light comes on are the amber lights? Can anyone help or have an idea