C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

5 mins of weird engine noise on startup?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-04-2015, 06:11 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
E350e W213
Originally Posted by deafcon
Any M274 built at the Infiniti plant in Dechard before serial number ~43000, or built in Germany before roughly serial ~400000 could develop the problem. New wrist pins went into production engines starting April 20th.
How do you find the serial number? My car was built between April 15th and the 25th. That's all I know.
Old 12-04-2015, 04:13 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Originally Posted by Vancouverite
Mine is still at the dealer if you can believe that. Almost 3 weeks. Took about a week to get the parts and then one of the parts in the kit was wrong so have to wait for that too. On the bright side got a 2015 slk as a loaner. Not too bad.

Did the dealer and mbusa/Mercedes Canada and etc offer you anything for your troubles?
Not so far. I haven't spoken to MBUSA about this yet, and the Service Adviser at the dealer just updates me on the repair every few days. I am not sure if they would offer anything. That is why they have a warranty, to repair issues.

With that said, from my end, I kind of feel like they should. I am not very happy that I am basically getting a partial engine rebuild on an 11 month old car with under 15K miles on it. From my mechanical knowledge, they have to at minimum pull the head and the oil pan to get to the connecting rods on the crank shaft. Then new pistons, rings, connecting rods get installed. What if there is cylinder wall damage? Are they going to just hone them while the motor is in the car? I don't think they will pull the motor for this? And then reassembly of the engine, hoping that the technician does everything 100% correct. Not happy at all.
Old 12-14-2015, 07:12 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
c300
check my update

Originally Posted by rustycruiser
Not so far. I haven't spoken to MBUSA about this yet, and the Service Adviser at the dealer just updates me on the repair every few days. I am not sure if they would offer anything. That is why they have a warranty, to repair issues.

With that said, from my end, I kind of feel like they should. I am not very happy that I am basically getting a partial engine rebuild on an 11 month old car with under 15K miles on it. From my mechanical knowledge, they have to at minimum pull the head and the oil pan to get to the connecting rods on the crank shaft. Then new pistons, rings, connecting rods get installed. What if there is cylinder wall damage? Are they going to just hone them while the motor is in the car? I don't think they will pull the motor for this? And then reassembly of the engine, hoping that the technician does everything 100% correct. Not happy at all.
Here is my update

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ml#post6644316
Old 12-14-2015, 08:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 Mercedes C 300
I'm sorry you're having problems with it.

Last edited by Dusboby; 12-16-2015 at 09:41 AM.
Old 12-17-2015, 03:30 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
2015 W205
Originally Posted by rustycruiser
My car has been at the dealer a few days, also awaiting pitons, rings, wrist pins etc to get this fixed. In the mean time, they did replace the rotors and pads to eliminate the cold weather squeal. Rocking a GLA loaner at the moment, not very impressed with the dual clutch 7spd in it.
A follow up to this. My car has been at the dealer for this issue since Thursday November 27th. The official diagnosis of the engine noise only occurred a week after that on Thursday December 3rd due to weather issues and other work. The Service Adviser called me today to let me know they finally just got the last of the parts in two weeks later, and are waiting for a tool to arrive. So 3 weeks in the shop total so far, with 2 of those waiting for parts. Hopefully they will be able to start the work this week.

I can't lemon this car either, as it was a CPO. It had only 42 miles on it when purchased, so was in essence a brand new CPO.
Old 01-18-2016, 12:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
question

Can someone explain to a non-mechanic (me) whether this is a serious problem or not, and what are the ramifications? Mine is an August 2014 build C300. From day one I've had the knocking sound when the car is cold and I let off the gas. It goes away after the car runs for several minutes. I always figured it was normal, but now I am thinking this is the "wrist pin" issue. I'd rather not have a rebuild done, but if the issue reduces the expected life of the engine significantly, I don't think I have any real choice but to get the work done.
Old 01-19-2016, 03:24 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Exclamation Calling all cars! (W205s with 2-ltr 4-cyl engines built before 04/20/15)

Originally Posted by djdj
Can someone explain to a non-mechanic (me) whether this is a serious problem or not, and what are the ramifications? Mine is an August 2014 build C300. From day one I've had the knocking sound when the car is cold and I let off the gas. It goes away after the car runs for several minutes. I always figured it was normal, but now I am thinking this is the "wrist pin" issue. I'd rather not have a rebuild done, but if the issue reduces the expected life of the engine significantly, I don't think I have any real choice but to get the work done.
Originally Posted by gocal73
Warning to anyone owning a W205 C300 built before April 2015: Heed the warnings in this thread. Mine did not have terrible engine noise but when I brought it in for Service A last week I asked them to check the TSB to see if it applies to my car. When they asked what I was hearing, I simply told them there is some ticking noise mostly when cold. I also admitted that I was not sure if this was abnormal or not, as I have nothing to compare it to. I asked them to check into it for themselves and let me know what they think. Two days later the dealer informed me that the pistons need to be replaced.

My advice is that everyone owning a C300 W205 take your car to your dealer with the TSB information and ask them to check it out. I printed this tread and gave it to them. When I dropped the car off, it was evident that they were taking this problem seriously, so something bad must be going on with these engines. If you are leasing, maybe you don't care. However, if you own the car you better care! Consider what replacing the pistons and possibly more due to this problem will cost when the car is off warranty.
Will be interested in how this all turns out. They did tell me to keep the MB loaner until the work is complete. Looks like 2-4 weeks.
Originally Posted by gfmohn
The exact cutoff date is 04/20/15. As I wrote in my post #30, "Note added 01-03-15: see the comment by deafcon at https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w2...il#post6612605. So that readers do not have go to deafcon's comment, here is the operative sentence, "Any M274 built at the Infiniti plant in Dechard before serial number ~43000, or built in Germany before roughly serial ~400000 could develop the problem. New wrist pins went into production engines starting April 20th." That is, 2-ltr 4-cyl ENGINES built before 04/20/15 are probably defective. There is some comment elsewhere that this defect is a Mercedes DESIGN problem, not an American assembly problem. So engines made in GERMANY can also be affected! I do not have any further information about engine numbers or cutoff dates.

The date an engine was built is probably NOT the same as the production date of the car! The production date of a car can be easily obtained from the dealer. The engine production date (or the serial number of the ENGINE) has to be obtained from the Mercedes Electronic Parts Catalogue (EPC). Use of the EPC is free, but it was not made for amateurs. If this information is necessary (because a car was made around the cutoff date), I recommend that the owner not tangle with the EPC, but go straight to his or her dealer.
Follow this link to "new C300 with Engine noise." This thread is the active thread for this problem. The two quotes after the quote of your post are from "new C300 with Engine noise." (The second quote is my own.)

The Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) number is LI07-70P061851. (Note that the first two characters are "LI", with the letter I, not number 1.) Bulletin Summary: due to unfavorable tolerance of piston wrist pin, resulting in knocking, clattering/rattling noises, causing an enlarge end float connecting rod in piston, from crank assembly of engine when cold. Vehicles covered in this TSB: 2015 Mercedes Benz C180, 2015 Mercedes Benz C200, 2015 Mercedes Benz C220, 2014 Mercedes Benz C250, 2015 Mercedes Benz C250, 2014 Mercedes Benz C300, 2015 Mercedes Benz C300, 2015 Mercedes Benz C400.

The actual text of the TSB is available behind various paywalls only. But you can be sure your dealer has it!
Old 01-20-2016, 12:31 PM

2015 C300
Had the same issue. I took it in for service, they said they needed to change the pin from the rack inside the engine compartment.

It takes a week to order the part and then more time to throw it in since they have to take apart the engine.
Old 01-21-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Let's concentrate discussion on the thread "new C300 with Engine noise."

Originally Posted by realness101
Had the same issue. I took it in for service, they said they needed to change the pin from the rack inside the engine compartment.

It takes a week to order the part and then more time to throw it in since they have to take apart the engine.
Follow this link to "new C300 with Engine noise." This thread is the active thread for this problem.
Old 05-25-2018, 05:53 PM

2007 Mercedes-Benz C230 Sport
So,

I noticed this "rattling" sound when I drove my first w205 (2015 C300) loaner. Thought it was something out of the ordinary, until I drove another loaner (which made the same noise during a cold start). THEN, I actually leased one with 0 miles, and it too does the same exact thing.

Problem is - you need to simply drive your car smoothly (not roughly) until it has reached its optimal temperature. This noise only happens during the warm-up of the car. Also (on that note), i would not recommend letting it idle during a cold start. You're supposed to immediately shift it in Drive and accelerate slowly until it has reached its optimal temp (but I guess that would be for another forum page)!

As far as the noise - it doesn't sound too attractive, but it was definitely engineered this way; and, there is absolutely nothing wrong with your car.
Old 06-14-2018, 07:02 PM

2015 C300 sport (W205)
YESS

Originally Posted by vancity604
I recorded the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jb...ature=youtu.be

You hear me accelerating and cruising. The rattling noise happens when I'm not accelerating.

Is this the sound everyone else hears?
THIS IS THE EXACT SAME SOUND IM GETTING IN THE SAME SENARIOS ON START UP FOR ABOUT 5 MIN !! Can someone tell me what it is?? I got my 50k Service and they still didn’t fix it!!!
Old 06-14-2018, 10:04 PM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Originally Posted by BigGucciNick

THIS IS THE EXACT SAME SOUND IM GETTING IN THE SAME SENARIOS ON START UP FOR ABOUT 5 MIN !! Can someone tell me what it is?? I got my 50k Service and they still didn’t fix it!!!
If it’s the wrist pin rattle you’re referring to you’re a little late to this party. I suggest reading through the whole thread which will direct you to an even longer thread. Prob wanna get your dealer on the phone to schedule an appointment. Are you still under warranty?
Old 03-21-2019, 12:26 AM

C300 W205
Yes

Originally Posted by vancity604
I recorded the sound:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J1jb...ature=youtu.be

You hear me accelerating and cruising. The rattling noise happens when I'm not accelerating.

Is this the sound everyone else hears?
yes this is what I hear too
Old 04-30-2019, 05:24 PM

C 250
I have two problem on noise for my C205 (C250 petrol) that light clliking light rattling sound very significant when I leave the car days not running especially in colder day fortunately the low temperature in my area only reach 15 C at the lowest and 2-3 minutes it goes away, the warmer the car or outside temperature the less noise or quicker. However after 60k KM run, usually morning the other noise (like a flute or trumpet low frequency) keep on sounding on and off.
I took the car to generic repair shop, they jack up the car, and I can hear the sound on and off behind radiator. and they said its pump and they check primary water reservoir is fill, so they said the pump is not working well, but not critical as it is not for the engine, so I took it home and continue driving.

Since I was in agreement with them, that it was Low Temperature water pump system (see picture below) So My opinion was for cold weather operations, some of them said for intercooler, some of them said for interior heating, So I try to open my self (located just on the left bottom of radiator /facing rear) after opening the pump it looks like aquarium pump, I did not test it and i was rushing to order online, there are 2 price, one for USD350-400 and the other one is USD 80-90 (new but the seller said its called ATC remanufacture etc), but it looks new to me, so without doing more analysis for experimental purposes, i bought the cheaper one. After installation the new electric pump I can still hear the sound but less quieter but still im not happy,

Then I realised that there is another water reservoir for another cooling system (Not the normal reservoir for engine) that was empty, no wonder the pump sometimes sounds like light rattling and pinging sounds. After filling 1-2 minutes with 1/4 litre, the reservoir is full but still not going into the system, however after another 20-30minutes drive the reservoir is empty again, and I add water again until 3 times and consumed 1 1/2 litres of coolant and Now Noise is gone.

I was wondering if anyone can expand what is this water pump does? I thought one function is when the car stop and engine stop, this pump is still working to make another radiator cool, thanks
Old 10-13-2020, 07:38 AM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts
2020 S560 4Matic
Just came across this topic. My 2015 S550 4Matic makes some ticking noises in the dashboard when first started. I thought it was air vents and other HVAC duct diverters positioning themselves. I tried listening to the audio recording further on, but couldn’t hear much but background noise.
Old 03-22-2022, 08:09 PM

c250 CGI sport. 2015
Liquid in the intercooler.

Originally Posted by Pants-Flyer
I have a similar rattle,but I can only hear it when the engine is off!

My W205 is only a few weeks old and only covered 400miles.

But while playing in the garage the other night I found a funny rattle from the engine.

However its only there when the engine isn't running.

So from cold if I put the ignition in position 2 and leave it there the rattle will start.

I've attached the following video, which does seem to make it sound slightly worse than it really is.
For example its only just audible in the cabin, with the doors closed.

Once the engine is warm I can't hear it.

W205 Engine Rattle - YouTube
noticed the same sound. Dealer answered the same thing. Try turning on the contacts without running the engine. Press and release throttle and if you fet that sound with the engone not running. The intercooler is low in red coolabt. Fill to level and it should stop giving that sound. It worked for me. Mechanic was in awe that i solved it. The only reason i thought of that is because it was still doing it with engine not running during start stop function.