C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Car won't start

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2020 GLC 300 4-Matic
Car won't start

Here is a video of what the car was doing when I would attempt to start it.

This happened one time before but, I waited 2 minutes and it started right up. On Monday I got up and drove over to my grandma's house and took her to a doctors appointment with her car. When we came back I went to try and leave and the car wouldn't start. I called the dealer and talked to a guy in the service department and he told me to try the second key. So I got a ride to my house and got the second key. No luck with starting it with the second key. I called Mercedes roadside assistance and the guy on the phone wanted to send a tech out at 10:00 PM to "Look at the car". He said its most likely a battery and the tech could sell me one when he came. This is where I lost it! I said to him, "The car is brand new and your going to make me purchase a battery." I told him that I wanted the car towed to the dealer. It took me 10 min just to get him to say ok. He didn't want to do that.

Any way enough ranting. So the car is at the dealer and my service advisor contacted me later and told me it was some kind of major relay module in one of the fuze boxes. He said they don't carry them in stock and had to order one from Germany. He said it should be here by the end of the week.

I will update once I find out what exactly went wrong.
Old 05-07-2015, 02:48 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Pretty much the same thing happened to me. The MB guy told me over the phone the battery must be low. By the time he got there about an hour later, it started fine. I took it to the dealer, and they kept it for three days and said nothing was wrong. Next time I will get a video. Check it out here: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...ght-lemon.html
Old 05-07-2015, 03:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
They were able to diagnose the cause and order the part. It's not a common problem, but it looks like your dealer has a handle on it and your car will be fixed and back soon.
Old 05-08-2015, 04:27 PM

2020 GLC 300 4-Matic
Got a call from my service advisor and he said they are replacing the whole fuse box and some major relay module. The part was ordered Tuesday and is coming from Germany. He said the parts should be Monday morning.
Old 05-10-2015, 10:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by neweramike
Got a call from my service advisor and he said they are replacing the whole fuse box and some major relay module. The part was ordered Tuesday and is coming from Germany. He said the parts should be Monday morning.
Great info, thanks for sharing. Will keep in mind if happens and dealer says "it's normal".
Old 05-12-2015, 01:24 PM

2020 GLC 300 4-Matic
Ok another update. Was told yesterday that they were finishing everything up and the car would be ready in the morning. So today I stopped in around 11 am since I had not herd from them yet. I found out that the fuse box and module are not the problem. He sad they don't know whats wrong yet but they are still diagnosing it.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:28 PM

2020 GLC 300 4-Matic
Quick Update!-Today is day 15 and my car is still in the shop. They contacted me a few days ago and said that they had to test every wire that's in the main wiring harness. They called me back the next day and said that its some module. So my advisor said that he ordered one and was having it overnighted and would be here on Monday. So Monday comes around and they called me around 4pm and said that the part they replaced is still not the problem and that they are having MBUSA diagnostic team come out the next day to see if they can fix it.
Old 05-19-2015, 05:27 PM

Quick Update!-Today is day 15 and my car is still in the shop. They contacted me a few days ago and said that they had to test every wire that's in the main wiring harness. They called me back the next day and said that its some module. So my advisor said that he ordered one and was having it overnighted and would be here on Monday. So Monday comes around and they called me around 4pm and said that the part they replaced is still not the problem and that they are having MBUSA diagnostic team come out the next day to see if they can fix it.
Tell them the only acceptable way to fix the problem is a new car. 15+ days for a car in the shop and they still can't figure out the problem for a car that is only 2-3 months is retarded. Cases like this is where MB needs to take care of their customers by buying back the car.
Old 05-28-2015, 10:26 AM

2020 GLC 300 4-Matic
Little late on this update but I have been on vacation. The day I left for vacation my service advisor called me and told me they have found out what was the problem. He said a "Bent wire" under the drive floor was causing the problem. Told me the next day the would finish everything up and they will deliver it to my house.

A little annoyed that it took that long to find what was wrong, since they had both driver and passenger floors pulled up and had some of the computer modules out.

Anyway just go home and going to go out for a drive since I haven't had my car in almost a month now.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 97 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG

I called Mercedes roadside assistance and the guy on the phone wanted to send a tech out at 10:00 PM to "Look at the car". He said its most likely a battery and the tech could sell me one when he came.
I would have lost it at this point as well.

I would also be on the phone to Mercedes Benz asking them how will they be compensating me being without my brand new car for almost a month.
Old 05-28-2015, 11:02 AM

2020 GLC 300 4-Matic
I just sent an email to corporate to see what they can do since the car is brand new!
Old 05-28-2015, 11:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
I just sent an email to corporate to see what they can do since the car is brand new!
Suggestions about getting a new car from MB-USA because of a service issue are not at all realistic. Except in extraordinary circumstances, typically involving life safety issues, this just isn't going to happen. I know of a couple of MB-Tex cases that led to replaced cars at no cost, but those were literally brand new vehicles that had just been picked up.

Your car also doesn't meet Lemon Law criteria, so that rules out the most obvious line of legal redress. I think contacting MB-USA directly, as you have done, is the best approach. They will assign a Case Manager who should also contact your service manager. My guess is that they'll offer what has become a typical "low level" settlement, which is usually a one year warranty extension and some cash credit at your dealer for service or accessories. Assuming your car has no further issues, that's probably as good as it's going to get.
Old 05-28-2015, 03:14 PM
Super Moderator

Received 178 Likes on 145 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I'll bet it was a CANBus connection that was loose. These are two-way networks. These cars are not hard wired via harnesses in the traditional sense. The CAN Networks cut down on miles of wiring.
Old 04-16-2023, 12:45 PM

2015 C300 4matic
Unhappy C300 4 magic vehicle inoperable message after collision assist plus

Little late on this update but I have been on vacation. The day I left for vacation my service advisor called me and told me they have found out what was the problem. He said a "Bent wire" under the drive floor was causing the problem. Told me the next day the would finish everything up and they will deliver it to my house.

A little annoyed that it took that long to find what was wrong, since they had both driver and passenger floors pulled up and had some of the computer modules out.

Anyway just go home and going to go out for a drive since I haven't had my car in almost a month now.
Now I'm having this same issue hoping the information I got from mikes situation will help me out. no accidents only 54k miles the problem comes and goes with my weird weather in MN but now its not starting at all my plan is to rip up my driver side floor mat and look for wires that may be displaced. Any further help info or tricks would be extraordinarily appreciated thank MB World forum friends.