C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Can multiple phones be paired?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2015, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Can multiple phones be paired?

Maybe a stupid question, but it's one I have no answer for.

I currently have a single iPhone 6 Plus paired to my C300. (That had to be paired from the phone, rather than from the car. The initial search for a new phone yielded nothing from COMAND.)

I'll be adding another iPhone 6 Plus later this week, and have no experience using more than one smartphone in the car at the same time. Is the Bluetooth pairing the same, and what happens when a call is made or comes in if both phones are in the car?

Thanks for any help.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
I don't see any reason why another phone can't be paired. When multiple paired phones are in the car, the car connects only with the first phone available on start up (first come first serve). The only problem I have with two paired phones in the car is this- suppose I get out of the car at a gas station / shop to buy something (leaving the other passenger & phone inside the car), since my phone is out of range the car automatically connects with the next available phone and remains like that even after I return. You can understand the frustration when you want to answer a phone using Bluetooth, it wouldn't work because it is already connected to the other phone. So now whenever we travel together I ask my wife to turn off the Bluetooth, unless she is driving. Hope this helps.

Last edited by pamiboy; 05-19-2015 at 12:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by pamiboy
The only problem I have with two paired phones in the car is this- suppose I get out of the car at a gas station / shop to buy something (leaving the other passenger & phone inside the car), since my phone is out of range the car automatically connects with the next available phone and remains like that even after I return. You can understand the frustration when you want to answer a phone using Bluetooth, it wouldn't work because it is already connected to the other phone. So now whenever we travel together I ask my wife to turn off the Bluetooth, unless she is driving. Hope this helps.
I've been searching for more information, and I did come up with something that might help with your situation. It said if you bring up the options menu, it will let you choose which device you want connected. I obviously haven't been able to try that yet, but there is apparently a way to select which phone the car defaults to.
Old 05-19-2015, 12:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts
E 350
The default option would be nice to have. I have no idea how to activate that if at all it is available in my car.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:13 PM
XPS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Golf
Originally Posted by pamiboy
When multiple paired phones are in the car, the car connects only with the first phone available on start up (first come first serve). The only problem I have with two paired phones in the car is this- suppose I get out of the car at a gas station / shop to buy something (leaving the other passenger & phone inside the car), since my phone is out of range the car automatically connects with the next available phone and remains like that even after I return. You can understand the frustration when you want to answer a phone using Bluetooth, it wouldn't work because it is already connected to the other phone. So now whenever we travel together I ask my wife to turn off the Bluetooth, unless she is driving. Hope this helps.

That's really interesting. My sisters Optima, it allows multiple phones to be connected and saved. The options allow you to put the connected devices into order of priority so it will connect to the highest person on the list. If she goes out like a gas station, it would connect to mine (down the list) but reconnect to hers as it senses her signal when she comes back.

Very convenient.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300
I don't think you can have more then one phone connect at a time. Normally it connects to the phone last used.
In my car i have my phone and my gf saved. But only one phone is connected when we are both in the car. But if she drives the car last and parks. Then we get in the car together it will automatically connect to her phone. I wish the car decided what phone to connect to by the memory seat setting selected.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:44 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
We need a default option. I always Bluetooth my music through my iPod. It ALWAYS connects to the music on my iPhone first. I have to go into the options menu and change the device.
Old 05-19-2015, 01:49 PM

c300
Originally Posted by CO2010
We need a default option. I always Bluetooth my music through my iPod. It ALWAYS connects to the music on my iPhone first. I have to go into the options menu and change the device.
I use Spotify of my Music on my iphone and for some reason the car always opens iTunes lol. I wish i could turn iTunes off and make spotify first choice
Old 05-19-2015, 02:57 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Stan - yes you can have multiple phones paired - however, only one can be connected at the time. To change which one, you need to go to Telephones and select another.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jolt8631
Stan - yes you can have multiple phones paired - however, only one can be connected at the time. To change which one, you need to go to Telephones and select another.
So, an incoming call to the phone that is not selected will not be able to be answered via the Bluetooth connection even though it's been paired? I had thought that an incoming call would automatically bring up that phone as long as it was in the car. If not, I guess it becomes critical that the driver's phone be selected before driving off.
Old 05-19-2015, 03:52 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Correct. If the call comes in on the phone that is connected, it will ring the car and can be answered. If the other one rings, then the phone will ring, only.

If you are quick (Favourites Button?) you can swap the connection, before your answering service kicks in....
Old 05-19-2015, 05:34 PM

Received 106 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
I would really like to see a 'priority' or 'default' setting for the paired phones as well, or even better, have it linked to the key fob or the seat memory. When you share the driving duties with another phone user, manually pairing the right phone is something you tend to consistently forget about.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300 RWD Sport Premium
Originally Posted by laz81
I use Spotify of my Music on my iphone and for some reason the car always opens iTunes lol. I wish i could turn iTunes off and make spotify first choice

What's really frustrating is, my last connection was my iPod streaming music via Bluetooth. It specifically asks if you want to use the last player used and I push the button in to confirm yes. And it STILL connects to my iPhone and plays the music on the phone!! Mother of god
Old 09-30-2016, 10:56 PM

E300 2017
Key fob

Originally Posted by DBOC205
I would really like to see a 'priority' or 'default' setting for the paired phones as well, or even better, have it linked to the key fob or the seat memory. When you share the driving duties with another phone user, manually pairing the right phone is something you tend to consistently forget about.
Key fob is how it works on BMW. That fob also auto adjusts the seat,mirrors,steering, even temperature, and radio station to THAT drivers preferences. BMW also lets you connect two phones at the same time, with the priority (for outbound calling) determined by the key fob used to open drivers door. I was surprised at the limited memory in the E.
Old 10-01-2016, 03:54 AM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
It connects to the phone physically closest to the head unit. If I have my phone in my pocket and work phone in the boot then it connects to my personal phone and not the one in the boot. I've swapped them round to prove it.