C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Blue LEDS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:33 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
gallardo, c300, rover supercharged, cayenne S
Blue LEDS

Ive seen in some youtube videos, that if you bought the active LED package, and u unlock the car, the LEDs become blue and then turn to white in about 5 seconds. Im from Canada, and have a 2015 c300, and this isn't working for me! I spent over 1000 on the package and my LEDs never become blue! anyone know why this is? I attached one video of the blue LEDs. Also, does anyone know if apple carplay works with the c class and iPhones?
Old 05-23-2015, 07:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C300 RWD
Originally Posted by Sahaj.c
Ive seen in some youtube videos, that if you bought the active LED package, and u unlock the car, the LEDs become blue and then turn to white in about 5 seconds. Im from Canada, and have a 2015 c300, and this isn't working for me! I spent over 1000 on the package and my LEDs never become blue! anyone know why this is? I attached one video of the blue LEDs. Also, does anyone know if apple carplay works with the c class and iPhones?
W205 Blue Light - YouTube
NEW 2015 MERCEDES BENZ C180 Avantgarde W205 - LED Intelligent Light System - YouTube
The LED lights turning blue to white on start up is not available in the North American market. Cost is one speculation. The other, is NHTSA is picky on exterior lighting...we can't get the flashing lights in rear lighting for rear end collision avoidance packages.

Apple car play is not available, despite earlier indication that it might be. You can of course hook your bluetooth phone up to the system for music/phone, but not for the Apple interface. For what it's worth, on few cars with it (Ferrari as one), it's said not to be ready for prime time.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:08 PM
XPS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Golf
Yeah it's not available in North America because of our old automobile laws that requires a distinct low-beam and high-beam mode separately. Since these active beam headlights are pretty much always on high beam, regulations ban this really neat and advanced technology.

The blue transition you see is only available with Mercedes ILS (Intelligent Light System) which you won't find here in NA

I know, I was really sad too

However, that can change in Canada with the enactment of the free trade agreement between Canada and EU: Comprehensive Economic and Trade Agreement (CETA) in 2016. This trade will remove the taxes imposed on European cars and parts. It will also annex on motor vehicle regulations (UNECE standards). But right now, it is wishful thinking.

Last edited by XPS; 05-23-2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2015, 02:35 PM
Super Moderator

Received 747 Likes on 728 Posts
bone stock E55 AMG
wonder if it can version coded...
Old 05-23-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Active headlights

Originally Posted by XPS
Yeah it's not available in North America because of our old automobile laws that requires a distinct low-beam and high-beam mode separately. Since these active beam headlights are pretty much always on high beam, regulations ban this really neat and advanced technology.
My U.S. active LED headlights (Lighting Package, state of Massachusetts] do not seem to have separate hi-beam/lo-beam. Nothing clicks on and off. Instead, the lights swivel up and down. When another vehicle approaches, they swivel very quickly; I do not see it happen. They do so at just the right distance too. They also swivel down for areas lit by streetlights too. In this case, they are too conservative. I often would prefer to have hi-beams available on the dimly lit suburban roads in this area. There are a lot of deer. There is no override to manually select h-beam. There is a manual override to select lo-beam (for safety).

They also shoot light to the side when I turn the steering wheel. They appear to do so by lighting a separate light. (This is a big improvement over my previous car, a 2007 C280. The absence of light to the side was first thing I really disliked about that car. This first occurred when I was trying to find my way out of the local community center. I was familiar with this area, yet the headlights shed so little light to the side that I could not tell if I was on the road out or was on one of the flanking parking lots. In fact, I was on one of the lots. When I reached the end of the lot, I had to back up and turn back toward the road. In doing so, I almost hit a large tree stump that was higher than my fender. If it had been a normal, low tree stump, I would have hit it.)

When an on-coming vehicle passes, the action of the lights swiveling up is very visible. No differences in brightness occur. Last year, I rented a small BMW sedan in Germany. The headlights on that car worked about the same, except that they swung to the right when another vehicle approached. So I don't think that differences are due to differences between U.S. (at least in Massachusetts) and European regulations. At one time, I am sure that U.S. headlight regulations banned moving headlights. So regulations have changed, so they can change again. They will just take some time.
Old 05-24-2015, 11:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
You can manually have high or low beam if you move the headlamp switch out of the automatic mode. In this setting, the auto high/low is off and the headlamps work based on the position of the stalk. Ur owners manual can provide more specifics.
Old 05-24-2015, 01:22 PM
XPS

Golf
Originally Posted by gfmohn
So I don't think that differences are due to differences between U.S. (at least in Massachusetts) and European regulations. At one time, I am sure that U.S. headlight regulations banned moving headlights. So regulations have changed, so they can change again. They will just take some time.
The regulations between US and EU are definitely different. US regulations take forever to change, because it requires a lot of steps and costs more money for the companies.

A little history though, I believe it was in the late 1960's when US required the low/high beam regulation and that hasn't changed since.

US forbids this techy because they honestly don't believe in LED technology as an article I read awhile back with their reasoning is because of the rear LED's actually causes more collisions than standard incandescent bulbs.

Unfortunately, Canada had followed US' footsteps.
Old 05-24-2015, 04:57 PM

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts
2021 E450, 2020 C43, 2015 C300, 2007 C280
Originally Posted by silberrosa
You can manually have high or low beam if you move the headlamp switch out of the automatic mode. In this setting, the auto high/low is off and the headlamps work based on the position of the stalk. Ur owners manual can provide more specifics.
Originally Posted by XPS
The regulations between US and EU are definitely different. US regulations take forever to change, because it requires a lot of steps and costs more money for the companies.

A little history though, I believe it was in the late 1960's when US required the low/high beam regulation and that hasn't changed since.

US forbids this techy because they honestly don't believe in LED technology as an article I read awhile back with their reasoning is because of the rear LED's actually causes more collisions than standard incandescent bulbs.

Unfortunately, Canada had followed US' footsteps.
To silberrosa: Thanks for pointing this out. I read this section, but didn't figure that out. I might turn the automatic hi-beam/lo-beam off, if I was on a long parkway, lit by street lights, but with little or no traffic. Otherwise, it is too valuable a feature for me to switch it on and off. Oddly, the manual makes no mention of automatically switching off the hi-beam when street lights are detected. Yet I am sure that this is this case.

To XPS: Are you saying that moving headlights are still banned? I am certain that after an on-coming vehicle passes, I can see the lights swiveling up (on dark trees by the roadside, for example).
Old 05-24-2015, 08:34 PM
XPS

Golf
Originally Posted by gfmohn

To XPS: Are you saying that moving headlights are still banned? I am certain that after an on-coming vehicle passes, I can see the lights swiveling up (on dark trees by the roadside, for example).
No I don't think moving headlights are banned or the issue here.

I think it just boils down to the active and constant high beams.
Old 05-25-2015, 07:19 AM
RTX

2015, W205, C 220 BlueTEC AMG Line
Although I have this blue thing available, I find it unnecessary. In most cases, as I park facing a wall (parking lot/garage), I don't get to experience this option often!

Nevertheless, I wish they made the color configurable. For instance, it turns red if the last driving mode was S+.

Last edited by RTX; 05-25-2015 at 07:23 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 03:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
bmw m3
Originally Posted by RTX
Although I have this blue thing available, I find it unnecessary. In most cases, as I park facing a wall (parking lot/garage), I don't get to experience this option often!

Nevertheless, I wish they made the color configurable. For instance, it turns red if the last driving mode was S+.

Do you have the. ILS or standard LED lights?
Old 05-27-2015, 03:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 88 Likes on 60 Posts
2024 GLS450
Originally Posted by XPS
No I don't think moving headlights are banned or the issue here.

I think it just boils down to the active and constant high beams.
The active and constant high beams are available in the US as is ILS. Are you saying you can't get them in Canada?
Old 05-27-2015, 11:33 PM
XPS

Golf
Isn't what differentiates our "ILS" with the true "ILS" is the multibeam ILS?
Old 05-28-2015, 01:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300
Intelligent LED

Check out this video:

Old 05-29-2015, 10:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
B200T
Originally Posted by MDMercedesGuy
The active and constant high beams are available in the US as is ILS. Are you saying you can't get them in Canada?
They don't call it ILS here. They have "Active LED high-performance lighting system", which does follow the turns. Adaptive Highbeam Assist is also an option, but that option just turns it off and on. It does not light up around the road around the car ahead of you (as the video above that samyc300 posted), which Adaptive Highbeam Assist Plus does. I don't think you have that in the States either. From Youtube videos, the technology works really well, so it's a shame we don't get it here in North America...

more info about the differences here:
http://www.daimler.com/dccom/0-5-121...0-0-0-0-0.html