C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Rattling driver' side window glass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-12-2015, 09:01 AM

Received 7 Likes on 2 Posts
w205
Originally Posted by djdj
I've had mine to the dealer twice to correct the window creaking. They added some dressing to the rubber that the top of the window meets when closed. This seemed to work for about two days and the creak returned. They told me there is no permanent fix.

The creaking can also be replicated by pushing on the top of the interior door trim when the door is closed. Drop the window a bit and it stops. Open the door, and the sound can't be replicated. I assume therefore that the creak comes from the top of the door seals rubbing against the body of the car, though I can't figure out why the sound can't be replicated with the window open a bit.

I've read in other threads here that the door seal creaking can be addressed by silicone lubricant on the felt door seal.
lubricant door seal
after 3 days rattle sound is gone
Old 10-06-2015, 11:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C43
Hi, Milin from Bangkok here. Sorry to bring this back but just want to update on my situation:

Took the car to dealer 3 times to fix this particular problem. The first two times, the noise was gone for a week each. The last one they said they added more felt lining at the window. Noise was gone for 3 weeks. And now it's back on again.

Desperately and confidently, I went to buy the Anti-Friction tape from BMW. They have this problem a lot with their cars as well apparently. Applied the tape on the car body where it meets the door's felt lining. This worked magically on my GTI so it must works now I thought to myself.

Unfortunately, the noise was back as soon as I drove out from the parking lot. The damn tape didn't work. Now hopeless.

So my previous idea about the origin of the noise was wrong. I thought the noise would come from the felt on the door touching/rubbing with the car body. This was the culprit of the same noise in my GTI. Now that it rubs against the anti-friction tape and the rattle doesn't go away which I now assume that the problem isn't there.

I now think it's actually the window (the glass itself) having some play and rub against either rubber or felt (inside the top of window frame) when fully closed. Perhaps it's too tight, perhaps not.

Also heard from dealer that there "might" be a recall on this very issue next year. So from now till then, I guess i won't bring it to the dealer any more unless there is any known fix for this.

Anybody found permanent solution yet?
Old 10-06-2015, 02:45 PM

2015 C300 Sport
Going to dealer on Thursday

If anyone has any fresh info about the "supposed fix" from Germany I would really appreciate the information.

The last time the dealer tried to fix the issue, they put a a big gash on my window tint (which I had to take time off to get fixed) and the rattle came back in about a week. So I am not optimistic.

I am going to the dealer for my 10K mile "A Service" on Thursday and want to see if they can actually fix the issue. It is the most annoying thing about my car.
Old 10-08-2015, 07:46 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
I applied a bit of silicone lube spray to the felt and rubber door seals around the top of the door and the seals they contact on the door. It seemed to work for several days, but then the creaking returned.

I heard the same thing from my dealer that others have heard -- that there may be a permanent fix in the future -- but, frankly, I don't trust my dealer service department to tell me the truth (for reasons unrelated to this issue).
Old 10-08-2015, 08:58 AM

'13 Infiniti G37
Just got mine back from the dealer last night for a list of issues. Out of the 10 i gave them they could only "fix" 2. The window and wipers. For now rattle is gone but we will see for how long.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:33 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
My car has been in the dealer for 4 days now, and they had to order some parts to try and fix a passenger window frame rattle, they've replaced screen for the radio to remove the creaking from that, and they're investigating solutions (probably acoustic glass) for the wind noise.

All in all, not a bad thing if my only problem with the car is a little bit of noise that is very obvious because the rest of the car is so quiet. I just wish my loaner vehicle wasn't a CLA250... I dislike that car very much.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:51 PM

2017 C43
Ok..The anti-friction tape didn't seem to do the trick so I sprayed silicone grease on the door seal and window seal. That didn't work either. The rattle is still there. To be fair, the dealer tried to fixed this issue 3 times already and the noise has been significantly less than the first week I purchased the car. So they must have done something right or at least on the right track. Nevertheless, the rattle hasn't been entirely eliminated.

The SA told me that until now, there are trying to fix the issue as majority of the W205 here in Thailand have this problems and there has not been any permanent solution yet. Mostly, the noise will disappear for a while (in my case, around a week or so), then it comes back.

After 3 trips to dealer (they kept the car 1 week each) to fix the issue, anti-friction tape i got from bmw and silicone spray, I'm running out of idea. I guess I will just stop messing with it for now (until next nice idea comes up). Recall by MB will be launched next year to fix the issue as I was informed by the dealer. Hope the news is legit.
Old 10-09-2015, 12:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Porsche 981 CS, C450, 3000GT VR4
is this wind noise and windows rattle problem more prevalent on the w205 or did the w204 have the same problems ?
Old 10-11-2015, 07:56 AM

2017 C43
Originally Posted by skullboy
is this wind noise and windows rattle problem more prevalent on the w205 or did the w204 have the same problems ?
They gave me c200 w204 as a loaner car when i took my car in to fix a few issues, the car is quiet and no rattle.
Old 12-12-2015, 09:14 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
Has anyone discovered a fix? Silicone dressings seems only to last for a few days.
Old 12-12-2015, 01:25 PM

2015 C220 Bluetec Sport Premium estate
I've had squeaking from the door seals for a while as well - cars been back to the dealers and had the doors realigned, but that didn't solve the issue. Silicone dressings seemed to make the squeaking even worse, so I ended up trolling the Internet for solutions, and have found one items which really did make a big difference to the noise - cleaning the seals and contact points with diluted Flash liquid. I know that this can strip wax coatings and similar off the bodywork, and I think that this has actually helped the seals to...well, seal better.
Worth a try if nothing else works...

Last edited by Macmerc; 12-12-2015 at 04:38 PM.
Old 12-20-2015, 10:27 PM

W205 C250 AMG 2015
First of all .. I love the car and first time own Mercedes Benz's car. I really disappointed with the quality of w205 coz for me the price of this car above other brand and I think this car has BEST quality. After I visited 6th times to MB dealer, the rattle on every doors dont have a permanent fix solution. I think this case happened to all w205. MB should recall as soon as possible for fixing this problem. Why MB take so long to recall it ?
Old 12-20-2015, 11:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by stapol
First of all .. I love the car and first time own Mercedes Benz's car. I really disappointed with the quality of w205 coz for me the price of this car above other brand and I think this car has BEST quality. After I visited 6th times to MB dealer, the rattle on every doors dont have a permanent fix solution. I think this case happened to all w205. MB should recall as soon as possible for fixing this problem. Why MB take so long to recall it ?
Probably because what you said about it happening to all W205 is not accurate. I have no window rattles and I know at least 6 others with a C class who don't have window rattles either.
Old 12-21-2015, 05:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
I get this noise from both front windows dependent on temps. I've narrowed it to both the door top trims (the fake leather door tops where you might rest your elbow) and the top window rubber surround.

For me it's related to body twist and I've set myself the task to lubricate all rubbers in those areas.

Failing that it's back to the dealer.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300
Serviced 12/29/2015, Possible fix

I was told by the local dealership about a service bulletin to address this sound and it appears to be working just fine in my car. They wrote on the service sheet some code: (LI72.00-p-061833) which involves the installation of some sort of adhesive tape and additional lubrication in the guide rails. They performed it on all 4 windows. Let's hope it doesn't comes back.
Old 12-31-2015, 12:51 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by cbeta
I was told by the local dealership about a service bulletin to address this sound and it appears to be working just fine in my car. They wrote on the service sheet some code: (LI72.00-p-061833) which involves the installation of some sort of adhesive tape and additional lubrication in the guide rails. They performed it on all 4 windows. Let's hope it doesn't comes back.
Thanks for the info, I have an appointment next week, let's see if it gets any better.
Old 12-31-2015, 03:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Been out in mine today after PTFE spraying and wiping down all seals. No more noise from the doors/Windows.
Old 04-04-2016, 08:42 AM

2015 C300
Temporary Solution

Originally Posted by cbeta
It looks like a temporary fix... couple weeks later sound came back.
The following users liked this post:
MBSebas87 (04-07-2018)
Old 04-04-2016, 02:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Still no door or window creak noise issues here since my last post above.

Now on to an annoying plastic clicking from the comand screen over rough ground...
Old 12-31-2016, 04:54 PM

W205 C220 AMG Line
Hey Maniac, where exactly did you spray? I've got some PTFE Grease which I'm hoping to use tomorrow
Old 01-02-2017, 07:28 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C250 2016
For the rubber I bought EINSZETT GUMMI PFLEGE STIFT RUBBER CARE, and noise was gone. Used 6 months ago, and I just reapply this winter just for precaution.

There was some noise is the same area when you rest your elbow.
I replicated the noticed pushing the front windows from the inside. The noise was gone when the stealership replaced my windows for the acoustic ones. May be the regular windows are too loose.

best regards.

Originally Posted by ManiacGT
I get this noise from both front windows dependent on temps. I've narrowed it to both the door top trims (the fake leather door tops where you might rest your elbow) and the top window rubber surround.

For me it's related to body twist and I've set myself the task to lubricate all rubbers in those areas.

Failing that it's back to the dealer.
Old 03-02-2017, 06:18 PM

C Class W205 Estate
I have the same issue with the driver's side window (and many other issues).
I have taken the car back five times now and it is currently getting fixed again. They have added felt and taped up all the loose wires in the door as well as adjusted the seatbelt holder. It is difficult to work out when the noise will occur. I have found that it mostly happens on humid days but on some humid days it will be silent and on some dry days the noise will be present. The noise may be present in the morning and gone in the afternoon so even though it seems like the dealer has fixed the issue, it may just be that the weather has changed and nothing has been fixed. I have the estate and I also had this noise in the boot (trunk) of the vehicle which Merc fixed.
Here is a video of my issue:
Other issues include:
- Driver's door opening while driving
- Panoramic sunroof leaking
- Air suspension lift kit would not go down after a hot day.
- Vanity mirror broke
- Auto parking drives me into the gutter