C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Tyre wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-27-2016, 09:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250 Bluetec S205 Estate AMG Line
Does anyone have the factory MB Alignment specs on the S205/W205? It would be good to compare to the actuals.

Given that they come in 18's and 19' wheel options I'm wondering if the different wheel sizes have different alignment setups.
Old 04-28-2016, 02:01 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Same car here similar build date...

Alignment front was out it was scrubbing fronts, full alignment covered by my dealership.... Improved... Lightened the front end feel too unsurprisingly.

Chirping sound is the keyless go relay module... Memory serves N59 ?!?
Software reset apparently to sort...
Mine will be sorted at next service...

I have had a host of minor issues.. On top of these.... Hopefully you haven't...
Old 04-28-2016, 02:09 AM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Originally Posted by BowzeR
I didn't have any success asking the dealer to honor this as a warranty fix.

Im contact MB through social media Facebook to raise a complaint hopefully can get something acknowledge from there end, i believe this is a factory issue and it should be publicly known the alignment is out from the factory or there is a serious tire wear issue on the W205/S205 Models.

Next tires I will going to fit is Michelin Pilot Super Sports. The Run Flat tires are a more of a liability... MB quoted $700AUD to replace one tire.
May not be out from factory per Se...
The transport companies with their tie downs on the wheels have caused numerous tyre and alignment issues... It's a known in the service departments.. Not all but some....
Old 04-28-2016, 04:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220d AMG Line Estate
Originally Posted by pvrick
The Pirelli p zero run flats are lousy, in my opinion.
Couldn't agree more, noticed my fronts are totally gone on the edges this morning, not acceptable after 10,000m. Never expected to be replacing tyres after 8 months, will not be buying Pirelli that's for sure!
Old 04-28-2016, 05:24 AM

C250 AMG Prem +
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago
Which Bridgestone RFT did you get ? DriveGuards ?
They are Bridgestone Potenza's -
Old 04-28-2016, 10:04 AM

Originally Posted by Shadwell
May not be out from factory per Se...
The transport companies with their tie downs on the wheels have caused numerous tyre and alignment issues... It's a known in the service departments.. Not all but some....

If the dealership knows this they should be making sure the QA on known issues are within spec with all their cars, im sure they undergo a visual inspection but if the transport is deemed to be a problem they should be looking to fix this.

Ive owned cars from other makes. This is definitely the first time I've had a car that wears its tires on the outer shoulder especially for a Rear wheel drive car that traditionally chews up the rear tyres faster than the fronts there is something not quite right here.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:21 AM

Originally Posted by TheKarmicKoder
Couldn't agree more, noticed my fronts are totally gone on the edges this morning, not acceptable after 10,000m. Never expected to be replacing tyres after 8 months, will not be buying Pirelli that's for sure!
I think a lot of people on the forum are not liking the Pirelli's however my concern is if im going to cough up $1500-$2000 for a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports only to find the same outer wear issues after 5000-10000km of "normal" driving I'm definitely not going to be a happy motorist.

It would be interesting to see if other owners who have moved to non-run flats experience better tire wear. And like my earlier post would be good to understand what the actual factory recommended alignment setup is and compare.

Another hunch I have is whether or not using the adaptive cruise aka Distronic system has any influence in accelerating tire wear. Its a great feature in slow moving traffic that's for sure. The assisted steering wheel corrections are definitely more noticeable on highways and the feel of the wheel in my experience feels lighter. Im wondering if all these minute adjustments on the steering at highway speeds is doing bad things to the tires up front.

This is my hunch and I don't have any solid evidence to suggest otherwise but to conduct this would mean you would have to own this vehicle and not use this feature on a new set of tires and clock up those kms. Not sure if anyone who bought this car would plan on not using this feature for sake of proving something LOL
Old 04-28-2016, 10:23 AM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I think a lot of people on the forum are not liking the Pirelli's however my concern is if im going to cough up $1500-$2000 for a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports only to find the same outer wear issues after 5000-10000km of "normal" driving I'm definitely not going to be a happy motorist.

It would be interesting to see if other owners who have moved to non-run flats experience better tire wear. And like my earlier post would be good to understand what the actual factory recommended alignment setup is and compare.

Another hunch I have is whether or not using the adaptive cruise aka Distronic system has any influence in accelerating tire wear. Its a great feature in slow moving traffic that's for sure. The assisted steering wheel corrections are definitely more noticeable on highways and the feel of the wheel in my experience feels lighter. Im wondering if all these minute adjustments on the steering at highway speeds is doing bad things to the tires up front.

This is my hunch and I don't have any solid evidence to suggest otherwise but to conduct this would mean you would have to own this vehicle and not use this feature on a new set of tires and clock up those kms. Not sure if anyone who bought this car would plan on not using this feature for sake of proving something LOL
I think that`s unlikely since if not for distronic, you would be doing those minor corrections yourself. IMO, not a factor.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:30 AM

C250 AMG Prem +
I agree - there is something not as it should be here.
Im am probably getting 18K out of the rears which I will live with for a rear drive with a lot of torque.
After what I found once the tyres were off the car (see pic posted earlier ) I would recommend that everyone inspects the inside edges closely.
As I said before my alignment was checked and its now been checked twice in the 18 months of having the car - both times no adjustment was needed.
I would be surprised if its anything to do with Distronic + in the UK we don't get the steering correction feature.
My hunch is that the issue is with the Pirelli P Zeros in MOE form not being up to the job.
Old 04-28-2016, 10:47 AM

Originally Posted by mightywhites
I agree - there is something not as it should be here.
Im am probably getting 18K out of the rears which I will live with for a rear drive with a lot of torque.
After what I found once the tyres were off the car (see pic posted earlier ) I would recommend that everyone inspects the inside edges closely.
As I said before my alignment was checked and its now been checked twice in the 18 months of having the car - both times no adjustment was needed.
I would be surprised if its anything to do with Distronic + in the UK we don't get the steering correction feature.
My hunch is that the issue is with the Pirelli P Zeros in MOE form not being up to the job.
I didn't know that good to know and I guess that helps eliminate that suspicion... shame how different markets have some good features and not the other... in Australia we cannot have the mBrace integration with our smart phones... Remote Engine start is deemed illegal here sigh*

Love to get some feedback on folks who have their models delivered with Continentals RFTs, when i was out looking at the showrooms I have seen models shipped with these.
Old 04-28-2016, 09:34 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 Mercedes C300 Sport
Originally Posted by mightywhites
They are Bridgestone Potenza's -
I heard some BMW drivers go 25,000 miles on DriveGuards. The ride is quieter and handle better in wet/snow. Few W205 users also liked them. Not a tire for performance drivers, so you can't attack that curve at 90 mph.

I see lots of drivers here going with the Conti DWS06 (non RF) plus some kind of fix-a-flat kit. I'll probably have to replace mine soon (next 2-3 months) and haven't made a decision yet.
Old 04-29-2016, 07:16 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C450
Originally Posted by Jay_Chicago
I heard some BMW drivers go 25,000 miles on DriveGuards. The ride is quieter and handle better in wet/snow. Few W205 users also liked them. Not a tire for performance drivers, so you can't attack that curve at 90 mph.

I see lots of drivers here going with the Conti DWS06 (non RF) plus some kind of fix-a-flat kit. I'll probably have to replace mine soon (next 2-3 months) and haven't made a decision yet.
I just installed some Yokohama Adven Sport A/S's on my 450 last week from P-zero run flat MOE's. Overall handling hasn't changed dramatically. Ride is improved and they have a higher wear rating than the Pirelli's. Bonus they are all season versus the summer only P-zero.

I paid around $1200 all in for them, so I think that equals to about 65 bucks in US money.......lol
Old 04-29-2016, 12:24 PM

C250d Estate AMG Line
Just picked up a nail in one of my rears, on examining the tyre I was shocked at the wear after only 9,000 miles. Fronts are better, but not great. Even without a puncture I reckon I was going to be replacing the rears at 10,000.

Not really interested in putting on more Pirelli P Zero Run Flats if that's the mileage I can expect.

Considering Michelin Pilot Super Sports via Black Circle, has anyone fitted these yet ?

Car is on the Factory Option AMG 19" Wheels.

Update, after a miserable couple of hours reading tyre review sites I decided Pilot SS weren't going to like the cold Scottish weather and stuck with run flats albeit Goodyear Eagle F1 Aysmetric 2. Goodyear show MB OE tyres on their website, but good luck finding a supplier, eventually gave up and went with the generic offering.

Being fitted next Wednesday.

Last edited by ramsayn; 04-29-2016 at 02:36 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 02:05 AM

Originally Posted by ramsayn
Just picked up a nail in one of my rears, on examining the tyre I was shocked at the wear after only 9,000 miles. Fronts are better, but not great. Even without a puncture I reckon I was going to be replacing the rears at 10,000.

Not really interested in putting on more Pirelli P Zero Run Flats if that's the mileage I can expect.

Considering Michelin Pilot Super Sports via Black Circle, has anyone fitted these yet ?

Car is on the Factory Option AMG 19" Wheels.

Update, after a miserable couple of hours reading tyre review sites I decided Pilot SS weren't going to like the cold Scottish weather and stuck with run flats albeit Goodyear Eagle F1 Aysmetric 2. Goodyear show MB OE tyres on their website, but good luck finding a supplier, eventually gave up and went with the generic offering.

Being fitted next Wednesday.
Good luck with your new set of tyres, did you get an alignment done? If so do you have a alignment report would like to see what the alignment setup for the Estate wagon is set to.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:43 AM

Received 21 Likes on 18 Posts
2014 C63 507, 2012 R350
My fronts lasted 8000kms, and the dealer changed them just last week as the car was ever so slightly out of alignment. Was it enough to cause the wear? not sure, but I thought going from my C63s to this car would give me less tire wear lol!

I do tend to carry more speed into corners. but my winters after two seasons are wearing perfectly fine, so I will go with alignment issue...
Old 05-07-2016, 05:14 PM

Audi SQ5, C250d S205, Audi A4 B9 TFSI
I've had the same outside wear issue on the fronts on my s205 250d. I got 9k miles out of the fronts. Bald outer shoulders with 2.5mm centre 5mm inner edge.

My sq5 which is driven harder / lot more powerful / heavier / 4wd 22k miles a set.... Go figure

With the tyres and poor mpg this car is proving quite an expensive car to run...
Old 09-16-2016, 03:42 AM

I bit the billet and got a new set of Michelin Pilot Super Sports for the 19'' Wheels so far after 5000km's they are wearing pretty evenly and have plenty of tread left over.

I managed to get the alignment specs done at the Mercedes Benz Dealership as you can see below the rear didn't suffer and abnormal wear but the fronts the excessive amount of Toe must of been the contributor to the Tyre wear.

Old 09-16-2016, 04:26 AM

Audi SQ5, C250d S205, Audi A4 B9 TFSI
i was never given a printout but I do think mine was toe too given the wear.

After looking around used forecourts I have come to the conclusion that all S205's on the 19" wheels have incorrect / excessive toe angles set from the factory. The W205 doesn't seem affected, and neither do the 18".

I have now done 10K Miles on the fronts and they have life in them yet, admittedly not as much as the rears and there is still some slight extra wear to the outers, but a lot better.

On a side note I've ditched the run flats all round and the ride is much better, its well worth it
Old 03-14-2017, 06:41 AM
GLO

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W205 C250BT & R320cdi-L V251 (sold c220 cdi Elegance)
Love to get some feedback on folks who have their models delivered with Continentals RFTs, when i was out looking at the showrooms I have seen models shipped with these.
i have just replaced my Continental Sport Contact 5 MOE just shy of 35000km.

Replaced all 4, might have seen another couple of months (500-600km/week) but I had a puncture and was already waiting since November for these to come back into stock.

i travel 80-150km perday and at lest 70km are motorway. I drive efficiently so I'm keen to get as much out of the car as possible.