C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Complaints about Standard audio

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-03-2015, 03:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C-Class W205
Complaints about Standard audio

HI All,

I have a good relationship with my dealer built up over nearly 15 years, so I email as soon as I'm not happy with something. I'm not happy with the sound system on the non-burmester equipped models. When I listened to the demo model without Burmeister it sounded ok. When I took delivery of mine I was really disappointed. No tweeters and the bass sounded muffled and muddy. Took it to an approved audio shop and they said that they could put in some tweeters but not much else without putting the warranty at risk. Then they said - why don't you "run them in" and they'll sound better. The dealer came back with the same advice. Well the good news is that they sound better already.

http://thestateofsound.net/2014/02/0...-new-speakers/
Old 11-03-2015, 04:21 AM

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
C Class 200 sport petrol auto
Got to agree with you about the sound quality of the non Burmeister. It really is the cars weak spot and sounds shocking and sounds no better than my clock radio that is by my bed. The DAB radio sound quality is so poor that I have gone back to listening to CD's which is slightly better but still bad.

So how long have you run them in for? I have had my C class on the road for maybe 8 - 10 hours?

I am wondering if they start to sound better when your ears have got used to hearing a rubbish sound. Reminds me when I worked at a sewage works once. It smelt so bad when I arrived that it took my breath away. After a couple of hours I was eating my sandwiches there as I could not smell a thing.
Old 11-03-2015, 07:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB C-Class W205
Have to laugh about the sewage plant! I'm lucky in a way - because I travel I have to use a rental every week. That way I can be kind-of objective. They recommend 20 hours according to MB. Also you have to listen to them louder than you would normally.
Old 11-03-2015, 08:09 AM

Thanks, I will give that a try
Old 11-03-2015, 10:03 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
I do stuff like this for a living. Speakers don't appreciably break in at all. There may be a slight change in the mechanical properties of the drivers fresh off the assembly line versus after months of use, but most of that change takes place in the initial 5-10 minutes of use and even that is not all that audible. Even the most severe changes measured during break-in is typically within manufacturing margin of error. For example, the article quoted in the OP states that the Fs of the driver will change by 5-10% during break-in, but high quality drivers typically have tolerance for Fs in the range of +/- 15%.

The sound of speakers will in fact appear to change significantly to the listener as time goes on. This is a well documented phenomenon. But what breaks in is not the speaker but the listener. You will become accustomed to how this stereo sounds to you.
Old 11-03-2015, 10:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016, MB C220 AMG S205 4Matic
Many has complained on the forum about the standard audio system. Im not sure if theres anything different in the S205 that I have vs the W205.

But both of my S205:s had standard audio and I'm pretty happy with the sound. And the last car I had was a BMW with H/K. Sure it was much better. But I still think its okey comparing to other manufacturers standard Audio. Much better then the 320 GT M-sport 2014 I had for a couple of months with not the entry level audio, but the 1 step up called Hi-Fi here in Sweden.

And off course it depends on what you listen to. I usually listen to Spotify at the highest quality, and I have adjusted the sound to be pretty good IMO.
Old 11-03-2015, 02:32 PM

I know it is going to bug me for all the years I own the car. How can they sell a premium brand car that doesn't even have tweeters?
Old 11-03-2015, 03:08 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C220 AMG Line Bluetech.
Originally Posted by Luton Driver
How can they sell a premium brand car that doesn't even have tweeters?
To "encourage"you to shell out for the Burmester...... I suspect.
Old 11-03-2015, 03:18 PM

Well that is the strange thing. I did order a stand alone Burmester for the MY15 but my order became a MY16 order when they brought out the MY16 year build. It was then available only in a £3000 package in the UK so I went without.
Old 11-03-2015, 04:22 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Originally Posted by jolt8631
To "encourage"you to shell out for the Burmester...... I suspect.
1could not agree more. I moved from a glk with standard system which was good as was the standard system in a w211 e class estate 2007 model. On my test drive it was clear the standard s205 system was poor in the bass and lacked adjustability so i specced burmester with the audio 20 interface. It is very good very balanced and lacking colouration. The 205 c is much higher quality to the 204 which i felt never reflected fully the mercedes experience but the basic price was not much increased. Downgrading the basic audio to push people to upgrade means that in effect the actual price paid is higher and from these forums it seems the majority do upgrade.

Re running the speakers in i am not convinced.....sorry and i am an audiophile with high end home equipment and a lot of exposure to live music but i do agree with the comment about the listners eyes "running in" ie getting used to the sound.......
Old 11-05-2015, 04:53 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E400W4 Sedan Luxury Trim
I experienced W205's base audio for the first time today, took my C300 in for service, the loaner was a 2016 C300 without the premium package. I was expecting truly terrible audio based on everything I've read on this forum, but while it's no match for the premium, it's really not that terrible, I could live with it, but would certainly recommend the few dollars for the premium sound.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:58 AM

Might have something to do with expectation in buying into a premium brand. The sound is no better than my sons Kia Rio.
Old 11-08-2015, 02:42 AM
D3S

Received 9 Likes on 2 Posts
2020 GLE 450
Try adjusting the equalizer. I played around with the two systems at the dealership for a while when trying to figure out whether to spend the money on the upgrade and, to my ear, the default "flat" eq settings in the base system are wildly out if whack. The highs are way too prominent and the lows are non existent, creating a very hollow sounding system. If you adjust it yourself though, you can actually get very respectable sound out of the system.

I don't actually think the hardware is that much better on the upgraded system (I doubt I could tell the difference at highway speeds with all the background noise) it's just that the default EQ settings in the Command software seem optimized for the upgraded system rather than the base speakers.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:20 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
C200 4matic
Originally Posted by NovaOne
I do stuff like this for a living. Speakers don't appreciably break in at all. There may be a slight change in the mechanical properties of the drivers fresh off the assembly line versus after months of use, but most of that change takes place in the initial 5-10 minutes of use and even that is not all that audible. Even the most severe changes measured during break-in is typically within manufacturing margin of error. For example, the article quoted in the OP states that the Fs of the driver will change by 5-10% during break-in, but high quality drivers typically have tolerance for Fs in the range of +/- 15%.

The sound of speakers will in fact appear to change significantly to the listener as time goes on. This is a well documented phenomenon. But what breaks in is not the speaker but the listener. You will become accustomed to how this stereo sounds to you.

SPOT ON NOVAONE!!
Old 11-08-2015, 09:23 PM

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
C200 4matic
IN China its only the C300 that comes with premium sound.... The C180/C200 only has standard and its NOT possible to upgrade... I tried the standard and I feel its worse than the W204.... So I will have a sub and extra speakers installed when i get the new car..