C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Those who had wind noise, what has helped?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-04-2015, 12:24 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016, MB C220 AMG S205 4Matic
Those who had wind noise, what has helped?

Hi guys!

As some of you have already seen. I'm having major issues with wind noise in my S205. This is a late Sept -15 build. And I had a similar S205 before this one built Sept 14. With no issue regarding wind noise.
So my question to you, what have been done to your car to help reduce the wind noise? Did they come up with a good fix? Or has it just helped a little bit?

Please share you're experiences. That way its easier for new members to find solutions and help.
I'll start. I'we been having very loud wind noise on my 2:nd S205 from day 1. Already at like 80km/h I could really clearly hear the wind noise from the top of both front glasses. It sounded just like the window wasn't fully closed, and alos I could hear other cars road-noise and traffic noise very clearly. And off course it just got worse the faster I went.

So I have now fitted acoustic glasses at my dealer. The wind noise isn't as clear any more. But it is still there, and at high-way tempo 110-120km/h I can hear it really clearly. But now the sound is more coming from the back of the car. So clearly the issue isn't solved, the new glasses are just hiding some of the problems. But theres still something making wind noise. Wind noise that isn't acceptable for a car like this. Now it doesn't really sound like my windows aren't fully up. It more sounds like at say 110km/h, there is as much wind-noise as one would expect at maybe 180km/h. And also I still hear other cars road noise to much.

I'm gonna book in my car at the shop once more. It might be some problem with the doors aren't perfectly aligned. Lets hope for the best.
So please share, what have you done to your car to reduce the noise? What has helped. And if it helped, are you completely satisfied or is there still to much noise?
Old 11-05-2015, 09:01 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
C300
Honest answer? Trading in the car is only solution....

VicViper posted bulletin, has some solutions and if can get acoustic glass as you did, supposedly helps mask the noise. In USA, hard to get. But here most buy Mercedes for the star, and could care less how it drives or sounds, it's strictly a status symbol, and MBUSA treats their customers accordingly.

Here in states, now getting cold, this issue is becoming ubiquitous. My dealer has over 100 requests in MBUSA for help on 2015 and 2016 C Class (Nope, they didn't fix a thing in the new model year).

Good luck. Wish I had better news.
Old 11-05-2015, 09:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
Originally Posted by kellens
Honest answer? Trading in the car is only solution....

VicViper posted bulletin, has some solutions and if can get acoustic glass as you did, supposedly helps mask the noise. In USA, hard to get. But here most buy Mercedes for the star, and could care less how it drives or sounds, it's strictly a status symbol, and MBUSA treats their customers accordingly.

Here in states, now getting cold, this issue is becoming ubiquitous. My dealer has over 100 requests in MBUSA for help on 2015 and 2016 C Class (Nope, they didn't fix a thing in the new model year).

Good luck. Wish I had better news.
You're on a roll tonight. This is what your 4th post in less than an hour bashing your Mercedes. If you actually own one. And if you do, maybe you should trade it in on a Lexus since you seem to believe they're better in every way.
Old 11-06-2015, 07:38 AM

C300
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
You're on a roll tonight. This is what your 4th post in less than an hour bashing your Mercedes. If you actually own one. And if you do, maybe you should trade it in on a Lexus since you seem to believe they're better in every way.

You're exaggerating a little, but you usually do rbrylaw. Yea, Mines in the shop again. Calling it how it is. I'm rather disappointed. Most of the miles, no lie, on my car are from taking it to and from service! I think I got a build like StanNH first 2015 C300. MBUSA thinks all the defects are just part of the car, or I'm the first one ever to report an issue. Even the ones that lock you out, or leave you waiting for steering to reset.

If you'll buy my 2015, pretty well loaded C300 with 6500 miles for only 60% what I paid for it new, which seems fair, most cars don't take nearly this hit in 6 months. I'd LOVE to get out of it! I'm only being offered 50% by dealers on trade in, and market is flooded with them to sell on my own.

Best advice to the OP is to try VicViper's info as posted. My dealer tried everything on the list short of the glass and changed door and window seals. No luck here.

And rbrylaw, no offense, but do you have any advice for the OP who already replaced the glass and still has noise issue? Neither does MBUSA or American dealerships. Perhaps you should work for one of them, if you don't already.

Last edited by kellens; 11-06-2015 at 08:01 AM.
Old 11-06-2015, 09:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You're exaggerating a little, but you usually do rbrylaw. Yea, Mines in the shop again. Calling it how it is. I'm rather disappointed. Most of the miles, no lie, on my car are from taking it to and from service! I think I got a build like StanNH first 2015 C300. MBUSA thinks all the defects are just part of the car, or I'm the first one ever to report an issue. Even the ones that lock you out, or leave you waiting for steering to reset.

If you'll buy my 2015, pretty well loaded C300 with 6500 miles for only 60% what I paid for it new, which seems fair, most cars don't take nearly this hit in 6 months. I'd LOVE to get out of it! I'm only being offered 50% by dealers on trade in, and market is flooded with them to sell on my own.

Best advice to the OP is to try VicViper's info as posted. My dealer tried everything on the list short of the glass and changed door and window seals. No luck here.

And rbrylaw, no offense, but do you have any advice for the OP who already replaced the glass and still has noise issue? Neither does MBUSA or American dealerships. Perhaps you should work for one of them, if you don't already.
I don't work for MB and no of course I have no advice for anyone who is having wind noise issues other than to get their dealer to be their advocate.

I get that this experience has not been a good one for you. I've only had my C300 less than a week. Who knows what my experience will be long term. I do hope better than yours. One thing I have is a dealer who I've purchased a lot of cars from, so they've always had my back. But a dealer should have the back of every customer, no matter how many cars they've purchased.
Old 11-06-2015, 12:31 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan

the residual is at 62% for 3 year lease.. are you saying it worth 50%-60% after 6 mo.? That hard to sell??

One good thing for me is that I leased..
Old 11-06-2015, 01:07 PM

C300
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I don't work for MB and no of course I have no advice for anyone who is having wind noise issues other than to get their dealer to be their advocate.

I get that this experience has not been a good one for you. I've only had my C300 less than a week. Who knows what my experience will be long term. I do hope better than yours. One thing I have is a dealer who I've purchased a lot of cars from, so they've always had my back. But a dealer should have the back of every customer, no matter how many cars they've purchased.

I totally understand that. They had my back as much as they could, but their hands are tied by what MB and MBUSA gives them, which is all fun and games until there's something not working 'right'.

I'm sorry I sound so disappointed. I had such high hopes, as can see from my early posts on the board before buying one. The OP is in a pickle, once they exhaust the resources they have, their answer has to be "It's a normal part of the design".

With the W204 they came out with revised mirrors, which they didn't give for free, but to combat noise. They were very expensive. Maybe an option will come like that. Who knows. The car is still in early beta testing stage as far as I can see. Hopefully you lucked out!!
Old 11-06-2015, 01:09 PM

C300
Originally Posted by arnold0523
the residual is at 62% for 3 year lease.. are you saying it worth 50%-60% after 6 mo.? That hard to sell??

One good thing for me is that I leased..

Yes, good lesson learned. Don't buy a german auto, they're meant to be leased if you insist on one. I've had a couple others, one owned and one leased. The quality seems to degrade with each one I've had. It's like I have alzheimers and forget though and get excited by the design and drive.

You're welcome to look online at values, or if bored, stop in a CarMax and have them appraise yours. Maybe better in your area.
Old 11-06-2015, 01:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I totally understand that. They had my back as much as they could, but their hands are tied by what MB and MBUSA gives them, which is all fun and games until there's something not working 'right'.

I'm sorry I sound so disappointed. I had such high hopes, as can see from my early posts on the board before buying one. The OP is in a pickle, once they exhaust the resources they have, their answer has to be "It's a normal part of the design".

With the W204 they came out with revised mirrors, which they didn't give for free, but to combat noise. They were very expensive. Maybe an option will come like that. Who knows. The car is still in early beta testing stage as far as I can see. Hopefully you lucked out!!
And I'm sorry for my post last night. I get the disappointment and frustration when you have high hopes for something and they are simply not met.

I do hope they get everything right for you. Mercedes cars aren't cheap by any stretch of the imagination. You should be happy every time you get in your car.
Old 11-07-2015, 03:29 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 Yukon XL 8.1 09 WRX
At the risk of sounding like Stuart Smalley...

Thank you both for stepping back and returning to a mature conversation. It's what makes sites like this work.
Two days ago I finalized the deal on a GS 350 F sport Nobody hates Toyotas more than me, and I only drove the GS to kill time between other appointments. I couldn't believe I liked it. In the end it was really close and the right brain wanted it to be a c450 AMG Sport in every way after I drove one. I couldn't take the leap with no nearby (300 miles away) dealer. Grown up conversations here and elsewhere just made it clear that the risk benefit ratio didn't work for the MB now for me.
Old 11-07-2015, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Volkov
Thank you both for stepping back and returning to a mature conversation. It's what makes sites like this work.
Two days ago I finalized the deal on a GS 350 F sport Nobody hates Toyotas more than me, and I only drove the GS to kill time between other appointments. I couldn't believe I liked it. In the end it was really close and the right brain wanted it to be a c450 AMG Sport in every way after I drove one. I couldn't take the leap with no nearby (300 miles away) dealer. Grown up conversations here and elsewhere just made it clear that the risk benefit ratio didn't work for the MB now for me.
Sounds like you made the right decision for yourself. I hope the GS exceeds your expectations and then some!