C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

My First Rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2015, 02:56 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
My First Rattle

Well after nine months, I got my first rattle - and it is a big one. It's coming from the drivers side door, but I can't pinpoint the exact location. The good news is that it is constant and predictable, so the dealer can't use the "can't duplicate" BS line. I pressed on the door panel (I couldn't believe how much it flexed), and got almost the same noise - sort of creaking. I will address this on my next scheduled maintenance visit next month. Very disappointing. I honestly can't remember the last time I have had a rattle in any car that I've owned.
Old 11-14-2015, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Originally Posted by hpilot
I honestly can't remember the last time I have had a rattle in any car that I've owned.
ROFL @ 'very disappointed' you have a rattle. A bit dramatic. If you've had many cars with no interior noise consider yourself chosen by God as every car I've ever owned had some interior creak or rattle over time.

It's no big deal, in the grand scheme of things. Be less dissapointed and worry about something worthy IMHO. This car is very nice!
Old 11-14-2015, 03:21 PM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
ROFL @ 'very disappointed' you have a rattle. A bit dramatic. If you've had many cars with no interior noise consider yourself chosen by God as every car I've ever owned had some interior creak or rattle over time.

It's no big deal, in the grand scheme of things. Be less dissapointed and worry about something worthy IMHO. This car is very nice!
My, my, aren't we defensive. Do you work for Mercedes? I really don't need something to worry about. If paying $50,000 for a car and expecting a higher level of QC - call me guilty. I'll ignore the part where you basically call me a liar...
Old 11-14-2015, 11:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 85 Likes on 69 Posts
2017 E300
Good luck talking with the dealer. If they admit there is a noise, they will probably just pull off the interior door panel and put some foam in certain places. Probably impossible to pinpoint exactly where it is coming from. Be prepared to bring this up multiple times.

As a side note, I too have never had a car without a rattle, and that is coming from owning four Lexus models which are known for their build quality. I guess it is all about perspective but 50K doesn't buy you a lot of car these days. Keep in mind, the car's base price is 38K and the door panels dont change when you add options If I were to buy an S class and there was a rattle, Id be a bit peeved but honestly, this is a mercedes so its not fault free
Old 11-15-2015, 06:12 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
I just started getting a creaking sound around the driver's door too..sounds like a rubber on rubber rubbing sound as the door & body flex. This happens mostly around 50 degrees F in wet conditions.
Old 11-15-2015, 10:23 AM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?_u=...d=521139979643

similar fluffy tape on the door seal should prevent the plastic seal contacting the door - the cause of the rattles. Almost all the dealers in China now applied a similar fix. In China, 2016 W205 has the seal changed and they should have no (or less) rattles.

I put those tape onto my front side windows - a lot better and close to hear no rattles. Maybe some area from the back got rattles - I ran out of the tapes so I did not apply them to the back yet. And also I applied differently then the pics from that website. It was hard to understand and I just realized I did it wrong though it pretty much fixed the problem. Mine was rattling like hell...but I am very satisfied now.

See if you can find a similar product from ebay. I bought it directly from China $1 enough length for fronts.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220d Avantgarde
Originally Posted by hpilot
My, my, aren't we defensive. Do you work for Mercedes? I really don't need something to worry about. If paying $50,000 for a car and expecting a higher level of QC - call me guilty. I'll ignore the part where you basically call me a liar...
I totally agree with you. A rattle in a Mercedes is unacceptable. Myself i have some resonance noice coming from the centre console. But I wil have them fixed that.
Old 11-15-2015, 04:19 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan

Small rattles are fine for a three-year-old Mercedes. But I think OP was talking about BIG BIG BIG rattles and I agree with him that is unacceptable. And unacceptable not to just Mercedes. It's unacceptable to any cars that are brand new. Those constant and noisy rattles are very disturbing and annoying. Maybe you did not have your rattles yet. While I had my rattles, it was just insane considering it was a brand new Mercedes. I was not being picky at that time and I think a person with normal hearing ability would agree that rattle was not supposed to happen in a brand new car.
Old 11-15-2015, 05:01 PM

c300
I had a similar issue. It was coming from the driver side window. Some cracking noises. Got it fixed when I went to have my winters installed. Some minor adjusemt at the door or something. Nothing to complain about
Old 11-16-2015, 09:57 AM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
I have four major rattles currently - car has been in twice for it already, going in the third time this afternoon. Right now, the dashboard is rattling like a crown vic on 'COPs', the passenger door rattles, the pano sun roof rattles, and the back seat on the driver side has a couple rattles that they are chasing.. It's maddening. Previous rattles were the screen (Replaced w/new one - fixed) passenger side door b-pillar (fixed w/lots of tape), and some of the current ones were thought to have been fixed on the first visit, but came back stronger
Old 11-16-2015, 12:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Seems my little jest resulted in karma (and I never called the op a liar, now who's being defensive).

I returned to my sparkling 6 month old S205 yesterday to find stone filled cement had been accidentally dropped on it. A complete mess of the paintwork over the front end and side, scratched and dented all over...
Old 11-16-2015, 03:23 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Seems my little jest resulted in karma (and I never called the op a liar, now who's being defensive).

I returned to my sparkling 6 month old S205 yesterday to find stone filled cement had been accidentally dropped on it. A complete mess of the paintwork over the front end and side, scratched and dented all over...
Oh s*** do you know who did it? Am really sorry and can empathise. My car got too close to a poor deer a couple of months back, the deer paid the ultimate price and thanks to a passerby its shoulder is in my freezer vive la france! But it is so upsetting to have to have work done takes away the new car feel. But i had some work done on a 2 door a3 a few years ago now which involved a cut in replacement of the rear quarter panel and it really was as good as factory. Worth asking around to find a good bodyshop and generally i think stick to a one approved by the german manufacturers. If an insurance claim remember you can demand a mercedes repairer.My car is now as good as new to look at unless you lift the bonnet and see a couple of dings on the rad where the distronic unit moved back and hit it and the polystyrene absorber has 2 lumps missing where bits of the rad grille dug into it. Neither warranted repair/replacement according to my garage and as i paid i took their advice.

It is no consolation to you and I do not mean to demean your feelings but in the light of fridays attack here in my adopted home of france all the problems on this forum are but nought.......still lets hope you can get the car repaired asap you will start feeling better then!
Old 11-16-2015, 04:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic

I don't believe in Karma. But I am very sorry about what happened to your car. I'm sure a good body shop can take care of it and it will be a fleeting bad memory.
Old 11-16-2015, 06:24 PM
mvw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG; 2015 Infiniti QX60
I just got a rattle too on my 450. Have noticed it on and off a for a week or so. Right side, plastic-y type of low-grade rattle going over bumps - I can't really pinpoint where it is coming from since I rarely have a passenger in the front (kids sit in the back). Annoying to take it in, but annoying to live with it.

Too bad the NES approach to fixing things doesn't work anymore - just give it a really hard smack on the side and all better. Used to work with everything...
Old 11-17-2015, 08:46 AM

W205 C220D AMG Line
I've suffered with a very similar creaking / rattling sound for the last few weeks that's been driving me potty (car is only 8 weeks old!)...

I've been trying to isolate the noise by placing my hand against various parts of the door and window area whilst driving, by adjusting the seatbelt height adjuster, and by driving with the window in various positions to see if it made any difference... all to no avail. I was getting ready to surrender and get it booked in for investigation at the dealer when, by chance, I stumbled across a forum post referring to a similar "creaking" noise (on a BMW) that was caused by the door seals. Gave mine a good wipe over last night - only by hand (with the help of some rainwater!) and I must say, I *think* it may be the one! Possibly too early to say - but i've just been out for a quick drive and silence seems to be restored.

Roads are admittedly noisier today given the weather, but i'm convinced I would have heard it given how attuned my ears seem to have become to it.

Wouldn't have imagined the noise I had could be caused by a seal, but evidence so far suggests it may well have been. I'm not convinced it's 100% resolved, but assuming it is better i'll invest in some more Gummi pfledge, or some other rubber protector... I'll post back with an update once i've had more opportunity to test the results.
Old 11-17-2015, 08:47 AM

W205 C220D AMG Line

Sorry to hear this... I don't like to ask... but how?! Do you know who was responsible? Insurance job?

Kelvin
Old 11-17-2015, 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by kelvinpapp
Sorry to hear this... I don't like to ask... but how?! Do you know who was responsible? Insurance job?

Kelvin
A new build house nearby is my guess. It was dark and it was only when I got home in the car I saw it all over the front as I approached the car from the back.
Old 11-17-2015, 04:50 PM
mvw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG; 2015 Infiniti QX60
Originally Posted by kelvinpapp
I've suffered with a very similar creaking / rattling sound for the last few weeks that's been driving me potty (car is only 8 weeks old!)...

I've been trying to isolate the noise by placing my hand against various parts of the door and window area whilst driving, by adjusting the seatbelt height adjuster, and by driving with the window in various positions to see if it made any difference... all to no avail. I was getting ready to surrender and get it booked in for investigation at the dealer when, by chance, I stumbled across a forum post referring to a similar "creaking" noise (on a BMW) that was caused by the door seals. Gave mine a good wipe over last night - only by hand (with the help of some rainwater!) and I must say, I *think* it may be the one! Possibly too early to say - but i've just been out for a quick drive and silence seems to be restored.

Roads are admittedly noisier today given the weather, but i'm convinced I would have heard it given how attuned my ears seem to have become to it.

Wouldn't have imagined the noise I had could be caused by a seal, but evidence so far suggests it may well have been. I'm not convinced it's 100% resolved, but assuming it is better i'll invest in some more Gummi pfledge, or some other rubber protector... I'll post back with an update once i've had more opportunity to test the results.
Interestingly I may have fixed mine (until the next time it shows up). Gave my passenger door handle a good pull and shift around and felt it moving a bit and squeaking, but after doing that a bit the interior door panel seems to have settled in and now doesn't make noise. Got the idea when I realized it was happening after a passenger uses my car, which is very rarely.