C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Leather Seat Design (differences / pics)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-08-2015, 03:32 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C Class Coupe
Leather Seat Design (differences / pics)

Hi Guys

Final decision to be made for my C350e order is in regards to Artico v Leather but one thing I can't find is if the leather seats have a different look/design e.g more stitched horizontal lines across the seating area etc?

I've to 2 dealerships now and all the cats have Artico so I've not been able to confirm, if any one has pictures that would be great!

Thanks

Darren
Old 12-08-2015, 05:56 AM

W205 C250 AMG Premium Plus (UK)
The real leather seats have more horizontal stitching strips on the base and backrest than the MB Tex.

To be honest, I was undecided for ages and settled for the MB Tex and you just cannot tell the difference (other than the stitching) and no one would ever know (regardless of people's opinions on here)
Old 12-08-2015, 09:28 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many to list
I disagree with the above post. You can tell the difference. Go sit in
Old 12-08-2015, 11:30 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by Arthrodesis

+1

No man-made material beats real leather. Just the smell alone of leather is worth it!
Old 12-08-2015, 11:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
This was my first C300 with the MB-Tex seats: (with some of the infamous "bleeding")

This is my current C300 with the leather seats:

MB-Tex is fine, but it does not have the smell or feel of real leather. It may not be a dramatic difference, but there is a difference. I personally prefer the styling on the leather seating areas, as well as the added stitching.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:50 AM

Originally Posted by Arthrodesis

its not a case of telling the difference between MB tex and leather . The post asked:

"I can't find if the leather seats have a different look/design e.g more stitched horizontal lines across the seating area etc?"

I stated you can't tell the difference other than the obvious additional stitching in terms of design.

I've also owned 4 Mercedes over the last 12 years. 2 with MB tex (or artico leather as its called in the UK) and 2 with real leather and the only difference is the smell. The real leather sags after 12 months and looks cheap which is a joke for an option that carrries additional ££$$££. MB tex doesn't stretch and looks showroom fresh after 3 years of ownership.

so each to their own.
Old 12-08-2015, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by JimKing

its not a case of telling the difference between MB tex and leather . The post asked...

We were both commenting on your silly statement...

"To be honest, I was undecided for ages and settled for the MB Tex and you just cannot tell the difference (other than the stitching) and no one would ever know (regardless of people's opinions on here)."

Only an idiot can't tell the difference between the cheap MB-Tex and real leather...
Old 12-08-2015, 12:23 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
its not a case of telling the difference between MB tex and leather . The post asked:

"I can't find if the leather seats have a different look/design e.g more stitched horizontal lines across the seating area etc?"

I stated you can't tell the difference other than the obvious additional stitching in terms of design.

I've also owned 4 Mercedes over the last 12 years. 2 with MB tex (or artico leather as its called in the UK) and 2 with real leather and the only difference is the smell. The real leather sags after 12 months and looks cheap which is a joke for an option that carrries additional ££$$££. MB tex doesn't stretch and looks showroom fresh after 3 years of ownership.

so each to their own.
The leather seats in my 4 year old E350 Coupe, I just traded for my C never sagged, or looked cheap in any way after all that time. The leather in fact, held up remarkably well. I wouldn't make such a bold claim that this will be the case if someone pays extra for leather.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:26 PM

Originally Posted by MASSC300
Only an idiot can't tell the difference between the cheap MB-Tex and real leather...

It's retards like you that ruin this forum.

no-one looking at a car with MB-Tex (who didn't know it was fake leather) would notice the difference. Only if you had 2 cars side by side and could inspect the differences (and had been told that 1 was fake), would you be able to notice. Unless you drive around with a car with MB-Tex next to you, just so you can point out you've got real leather?????

That's the point I was making.

However you're obviously right (as no-one else is allowed an opinion without being "an idiot").
Old 12-08-2015, 12:32 PM

Originally Posted by rbrylaw
I wouldn't make such a bold claim that this will be the case if someone pays extra for leather.

its not a bold claim. I've owned two W204's that both had real leather. both sagged after around 20k miles. its a fact. I weigh 190 pounds. so neither had fat asses in them either.

who knows, maybe I was just unlucky!
Old 12-08-2015, 12:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG

It's retards like you that ruin this forum.

I'm sorry, did I make you cry?

However you're obviously right (as no-one else is allowed an opinion without being "an idiot").

Pot...kettle.
Old 12-08-2015, 12:44 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Old 12-08-2015, 12:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

its not a bold claim. I've owned two W204's that both had real leather. both sagged after around 20k miles. its a fact. I weigh 190 pounds. so neither had fat asses in them either.

who knows, maybe I was just unlucky!
Maybe you were unlucky. Maybe you didn't properly care for the leather in your car. The leather in my MB cars have had leather treatment every six months to keep the leather in pristine condition and I've never had any of the issues you described.

That doesn't mean I don't like MB-Tex. We just picked up a new GLC300 with MB-Tex. It looks great and feels fine in a SUV, which will be more utilitarian in use.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
MB-Tex versus real leather shouldn't be a debate, since both have their pros and cons. The synthetic is theoretically much more durable than leather, but I have read many reports of it becoming worn or even cracking over time. That is not at all typical, but MB-Tex can show wear. Mercedes does a good job with their vinyl, and it does feel soft to the touch and has a leather like texture to it. Generally, I think, it probably is more durable than the leather option.

Leather does require periodic maintenance to keep it both clean and soft. Annual or semi-annual treatments of leather conditioner are always recommended. I've owned cars with leather seats for many, many years, and have had no issues with them at all. Leather does have its own unique smell and feel to it. Most people, just looking at the seats in a Mercedes, would not be able to tell if the seat was real leather or artico. As an owner of the car, and having owned both, I can tell the difference. As I stated earlier, for me the more extensive stitching offered with the leather interior made that option literally more attractive. And .... I do love the smell of real leather.

There is no right or wrong in the selection of an interior material; just as there is no right or wrong color, wheel style, or sunroof option. Nobody here is paying for your car, so your own opinion is all that counts. If you're okay with the MB-Tex, it's a great choice. If you don't mind spending more for leather, and you think it's worth the extra money, the option is there for you.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by StanNH
MB-Tex versus real leather shouldn't be a debate, since both have their pros and cons. The synthetic is theoretically much more durable than leather, but I have read many reports of it becoming worn or even cracking over time. That is not at all typical, but MB-Tex can show wear. Mercedes does a good job with their vinyl, and it does feel soft to the touch and has a leather like texture to it. Generally, I think, it probably is more durable than the leather option.

Leather does require periodic maintenance to keep it both clean and soft. Annual or semi-annual treatments of leather conditioner are always recommended. I've owned cars with leather seats for many, many years, and have had no issues with them at all. Leather does have its own unique smell and feel to it. Most people, just looking at the seats in a Mercedes, would not be able to tell if the seat was real leather or artico. As an owner of the car, and having owned both, I can tell the difference. As I stated earlier, for me the more extensive stitching offered with the leather interior made that option literally more attractive. And .... I do love the smell of real leather.

There is no right or wrong in the selection of an interior material; just as there is no right or wrong color, wheel style, or sunroof option. Nobody here is paying for your car, so your own opinion is all that counts. If you're okay with the MB-Tex, it's a great choice. If you don't mind spending more for leather, and you think it's worth the extra money, the option is there for you.
+1

There you go gettin' all logical on an emotional subject! LOL But I agree with everything you said. Yes I do.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:33 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 E400W4 Sedan Luxury Trim
You can 100% tell the difference between vinyl and leather. Every time I get into another MB I can tell if it's leather or vinyl. If you don't care you're fortunate as it's a lot cheaper, but to say there's no difference is not accurate.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:34 PM

Originally Posted by StanNH

+1

couldn't agree more. Thanks for your adult response.
Old 12-08-2015, 01:38 PM

C Class Coupe
So after 2 dealerships I finally found a staff members car with leather seats (the final dealership advised they sell very few with leather).

I was thinking there must be very little in it but after seeing them it's made my mind up, for me I much prefer the look/feel.

Thanks for the all feedback.

Cheers

Darren
Old 12-08-2015, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by DazNEUK

So after 2 dealerships I finally found a staff members car with leather seats (the final dealership advised they sell very few with leather).

I was thinking there must be very little in it but after seeing them it's made my mind up, for me I much prefer the look/feel.

But according to JimKing, you shouldn't have been able to tell the difference between the MB-Tex and real leather...aside from the stitching...

Kidding aside, IMO it's a damn travesty to pay $50K plus for a new luxury vehicle and not get leather seats.

Good luck ordering your new Mercedes Darren !
Old 12-08-2015, 02:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

But according to JimKing, you shouldn't have been able to tell the difference between the MB-Tex and real leather...aside from the stitching...

Kidding aside, IMO it's a damn travesty to pay $50K plus for a new luxury vehicle and not get leather seats.

And let's not forget that with leather comes Ventilated Seats. A Godsend for anyone who lives in a warm climate.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:39 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450
My last Mercedes had almost 30k miles on it with leather seats, didn't experience any sagging with the seats and I'm literally in the car 5+ hours daily. I think you can tell the difference, not just between Mercedes 2 choices, but if any car had faux leather I'm pretty sure it's easy to tell as far as I'm concerned.
Old 12-08-2015, 02:43 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many to list
We have about 50K miles on our e350, no sag noted.
Old 12-08-2015, 03:41 PM

Too Funny

We were both commenting on your silly statement...

"To be honest, I was undecided for ages and settled for the MB Tex and you just cannot tell the difference (other than the stitching) and no one would ever know (regardless of people's opinions on here)."

:r olf:
Old 12-08-2015, 05:58 PM
mvw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG; 2015 Infiniti QX60

I agree on that one. I was (and still am) shocked to learn from the dealers that they sell way more artico cars and that MB only sends them a relatively small number in leather. I really don't understand it given the brand positioning of the car and when you look at what the competition is doing (it is tough to get a bmw in anything but the base model with fake leather.

Would love to look at their marketing research on that one, but they seem to know what they are doing, even though I don't understand it.

Having said that, at least in Canada for the 450 the choice didn't seem to be between leather or vinyl, but between leather and a vinyl/fake suede combo. I don't understand that one either for a whole host of reasons, but some people seem to love it.
Old 12-08-2015, 06:11 PM

Received 105 Likes on 62 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by rbrylaw
And let's not forget that with leather comes Ventilated Seats. A Godsend for anyone who lives in a warm climate.
Not in every market unfortunately (e.g. Australia). The difference here is that the MB-Tex is a perforated finish (I guess in an effort to keep you posterior cooler) and the leather is a solid finish. Left was a C200 I had on loan (with MB-tex) and the right is my C250D with they AMG grey leather.

No sure where the OP is based but make sure you check with your dealer as to the country specific options and finishes.

Last edited by DBOC205; 12-08-2015 at 06:15 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Leather Seat Design (differences / pics)