C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

AMG-Sport is dead. C450 will now be AMG C43

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2016, 02:03 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
Originally Posted by z28lt1
And that's why these car manufacturers do this, and why they make money. Less individual options means reduced manufacturing costs, and easier to keep inventory of what people want. On top of that, you are about to spend a couple of thousand more than you wanted to because of they way they have bundled. More people will pay extra for the bundle than those that aren't getting options that they wanted because of the price of the bundle, I'm sure.

Will be very interesting to see what actually happens in the real world. MB is clearly expecting gains with the new transmission because of the updated 0-60 times. Now that we've seen details, the coupe is actually heavier than the sedan, but the C43 coupe 0-60 is still .2 faster than the C450 sedan, and the C43 sedan is .3 faster than the C450 according to MB. If the gearing is set up for a 0-60 run, I'm sure it could be true. That said, magazines have been getting 4.4-4.5 out of the C450. Not sure if we'll see a 4.1 out of it now, would be pretty amazing if it pulls that off.

Very happy with the C450 and glad we are getting to drive it now. But we have to recognize MB's continued evolution of the car is pretty impressive. To go from the C400 to what will be the C43 in this short time is great product development.
Very well said. To be sure, the entire post.......but the summary caps the write up off as it should. The sum total, i.e., the result of all that development in such a short time should have the competitors eyebrows raising. Yes, I'm talking to you, Audi, BMW, and Infiniti, though the last two seem to continue digging their own graves.

Got people on Q50 and Q60 chat boards equating 400hp in Red Whatever to a better vehicle after they done mucked up the Nissan Z-car platform into a non-handling piece of crap. How the hell do you devolve such a solid, well-handling chassis that served the G35s/37s so well??........but I digress. (Okay, okay it frickin ticks me off!! There, I said it.) And don't get me started on BMW, the used-to-be ultimate/The King is Dead "driving machine".

Seriously, though, we can dispute the badging and/or perceived dilution of the AMG brand, but z28lt1's post - if you think about - might just shut down alot of the whining.

Even the 450 with its enhancements and upgrades alone (from the C400) is a damn good car! And I'm sure as sh.........er, heck, loving mine.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:24 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Originally Posted by arnold0523
Exactly. I would pay for the lighting pack even it's $1000...But now I had to pay for the driver assistance pack which I would probably turn off anyway.
When I placed my pre-order for the C450 back in May 2015 I was able to add every option a la carte. There was actually no P2 P3 etc...P2 came standard and the lighting package was a stand alone $800 option. heated seats were included with the leather interior package as well.
Old 05-12-2016, 02:26 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
Heard back from my dealer:

My AMG colleague replied… “It is a true dual exhaust with a button on the center console. Very similar to the C63 Optional exhaust.” I hope this is helpful information. It sounds like the difference is relatively minor.
all the more reason to wait for it now!
Old 05-12-2016, 03:09 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan

My AMG colleague replied… “It is a true dual exhaust with a button on the center console. Very similar to the C63 Optional exhaust.” I hope this is helpful information. It sounds like the difference is relatively minor.
So the exhaust is a beast from my understanding?
Old 05-12-2016, 03:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 681 Likes on 536 Posts
c
Can someone explain what a true dual exhaust compared to what is currently offered and what the benefits of such would be?
Old 05-12-2016, 03:43 PM

Received 73 Likes on 62 Posts
2016 c450 / 2016 VW Jetta 1.8t / 2006 Wrangler X
Originally Posted by alexasa
Can someone explain what a true dual exhaust compared to what is currently offered and what the benefits of such would be?
From each cylinder bank comes its own pipe. They each go straight back through to the muffler. There is usually an x pipe to keep them balanced. Look at the awe system.
Our system goes into 1 pipe, and then splits into 2 again for the mufflers
Old 05-12-2016, 03:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by cenzo86
From each cylinder bank comes its own pipe. They each go straight back through to the muffler. There is usually an x pipe to keep them balanced. Look at the awe system.
So the sound will definitely be different, but hard to say more than that?

Could it be the same one on the 63 with a different set of headers?
Old 05-12-2016, 04:27 PM

Technically the headers will remain unchanged in these systems. Since they're turbos, the new system will be a turbo back exhaust. If the alignment is the same, the c63 system might actually work.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
I'm not really into the sound of the AWE system. The overall loudness increase is minor and the shift farts are much louder and sound bad IMO.

So if the optional exhaust is anything like that - I'll pass.

Usually I am very impressed with AWE exhausts, but this one is not my cup of tea.
Old 05-12-2016, 04:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Too many to list
Originally Posted by alexasa
I'm not really into the sound of the AWE system. The overall loudness increase is minor and the shift farts are much louder and sound bad IMO.

So if the optional exhaust is anything like that - I'll pass.

Usually I am very impressed with AWE exhausts, but this one is not my cup of tea.
Lol @ farts

Whatever happened to Cajun?
Old 05-12-2016, 08:18 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by tmoneyC450amg
When I placed my pre-order for the C450 back in May 2015 I was able to add every option a la carte. There was actually no P2 P3 etc...P2 came standard and the lighting package was a stand alone $800 option. heated seats were included with the leather interior package as well.
Yes, I know that. I am driving a 2015 C300... To me, lighting package is a must have. It's cool, that's about it.

I think this time I am gonna go with MB Tex w/ DINAMICA. Same seat but different skin. Just hoping the DINAMICA is not going to zap me in the winter.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:16 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Emailed my dealer back drunk from the golf course yesterday after getting his email to get the ball rolling on cancelling my C450 order but working to maintain a decent discount on the new C43 order.

Told him that in the past the Performance Exhaust has proven to be a bit louder with more growl, and that paired with the 3-Stage ESP and the 9 Speed is giving me a bit of cause for...further thought. I'm in Florida until next week, but told him I will touch base when I get back.

Any tips for how to best "get out of" my C450 deal painlessly?
Old 05-13-2016, 08:50 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
MB C450 - June 2016
Emailed my dealer back drunk from the golf course yesterday after getting his email to get the ball rolling on cancelling my C450 order but working to maintain a decent discount on the new C43 order.

Told him that in the past the Performance Exhaust has proven to be a bit louder with more growl, and that paired with the 3-Stage ESP and the 9 Speed is giving me a bit of cause for...further thought. I'm in Florida until next week, but told him I will touch base when I get back.

I went to the local dealer yesterday to discuss his allocations for the C43. He wanted a non-refundable deposit and said the price would be close to MSRP since anticipation is running high for it. Given he couldn't give me any pricing and aside from some AMG badging bling the only change that really interested me was the 9G transmission, I decided it wasn't worth losing the $10k plus discount I negotiated off the C450. I am staying put with my late May build.

btw, he called his contact at MB HQ who said pricing on the C43 likely won't be out until late June or early July but that build and deliveries would start in August.
The following users liked this post:
alexasa (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:39 AM

FYI, my dealer assured me that leasing on the new car will be terrible. He said since they will be categorized as an MB-AMG, that mean (Howie Mendell please) NO DEALS!
He is a dry guy who cuts through the bull****, and could care less if you don't want to buy what he's selling. My family has bought a dozen cars from him through the years. Even though he might not give that super discount deal, you never leave feeling like you were raped. I don't know about discount on a purchase, but lease rates will be high like the rest of the AMG lineup. I was told to expect $200 per month more than what I'm paying on mine.
The following users liked this post:
alexasa (05-13-2016)
Old 05-13-2016, 09:48 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300

As Cenzo just mentioned above the fact that this will be rebranded as an AMG car means you're going to be getting hit on many different ends:

1. AMG cars barely get any discounts
2. AMG cars don't lease well at all
3. AMG cars cost more to insure, guaranteed

Think about if all of these negatives are worth it or at what cost. If you are saving a ton on an outgoing C450 it might be better to spend the extra money on a tune and custom exhaust from Meistershaft and you'll still come out ahead on your overall cost of ownership.

Also remember this, the C Class along with the C43 is also going to be refreshed for the 2018-2019 MY. It might be better to get the C450 now and trade it in in 2 years for a refreshed C43 instead of spending a bunch extra on a car that will be facelifted soon making it another 1 year model like the C400 and C450.
Old 05-13-2016, 09:54 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
FYI, my dealer assured me that leasing on the new car will be terrible. He said since they will be categorized as an MB-AMG, that mean (Howie Mendell please) NO DEALS!
He is a dry guy who cuts through the bull****, and could care less if you don't want to buy what he's selling. My family has bought a dozen cars from him through the years. Even though he might not give that super discount deal, you never leave feeling like you were raped. I don't know about discount on a purchase, but lease rates will be high like the rest of the AMG lineup. I was told to expect $200 per month more than what I'm paying on mine.
great so looks like its going to be harder to get in one in a couple years when I'm done with this lease.
Old 05-13-2016, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 100 Likes on 70 Posts
2018 GLC63
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
As Cenzo just mentioned above the fact that this will be rebranded as an AMG car means you're going to be getting hit on many different ends:

1. AMG cars barely get any discounts
2. AMG cars don't lease well at all
3. AMG cars cost more to insure, guaranteed

Think about if all of these negatives are worth it or at what cost. If you are saving a ton on an outgoing C450 it might be better to spend the extra money on a tune and custom exhaust from Meistershaft and you'll still come out ahead on your overall cost of ownership.

Also remember this, the C Class along with the C43 is also going to be refreshed for the 2018-2019 MY. It might be better to get the C450 now and trade it in in 2 years for a refreshed C43 instead of spending a bunch extra on a car that will be facelifted soon making it another 1 year model like the C400 and C450.
Yeah, unfortunately that is a good point, the extended warranty sky rockets (along with the warranty programs):

Last edited by Vipershade; 05-13-2016 at 12:22 PM. Reason: cropped image
Old 05-13-2016, 06:24 PM

2015 C300 w205
The extended warranty can be negotiated (YMMV), and if you are leasing you have the 4yr/50k warranty anyways, so a moot point. But yeah, will be more expensive because they fall into the AMG bracket.

In regards to the AMG designation, everything will probably be higher i.e. insurance, etc. But you can get deals on them, especially if financing. At least I was able to get a substantial discount on the cla45 I ordered last year. I think if you are not getting a deal, then you need to renegotiate! Leasing on the other hand is going to be tough, and will probably be terrible as was mentioned.

And the whole refresh for 18 is still up for debate as far as what will change, some pictures show headlights similar to the e class, some show the new dual monitors, others show the normal analogue dials and navi. And some say engines won't change, others say they will. It will be a refresh/facelift, not a complete new model. Maybe a new model in 19/20, but thats a few years out.

There's always something better coming out, if you play that game you will always be waiting. If you want the new c coupe, and you want a c43, now is the time to get it. Of course if you want to wait, then wait too. But like all tech, something new is always in the pipeline. Eventually you have to make a decision! Now if you dont care about the new additions to the c class for my17, then getting a c450 now would probably get you a great deal.

I am still undecided on whether I will finance or lease the c43 coupe. Whatever happens, hopefully the new model will be out by then and I can decide how to move forward.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:31 PM

Great points everyone, might be worth it just to stick with my C450 when it delivers at the end of May. Might use this as leverage to remove the slight markup on the MF that the dealer is holding firm to though.

We'll see. The numbers will make the decision for me.
Old 05-13-2016, 06:43 PM

2015 C300 w205
Great points everyone, might be worth it just to stick with my C450 when it delivers at the end of May. Might use this as leverage to remove the slight markup on the MF that the dealer is holding firm to though.

We'll see. The numbers will make the decision for me.
Yeah, its hard to figure out what to get or when to get it, especially with all the changes going on and/or coming, but at the end of the day its a numbers game and you have to get what makes sense to you financially. If youre content, thats all the matters.
Old 05-13-2016, 08:17 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG, 2009 C300, 2001 C320 2001 CLK430, 95 E500
I think there are actually going to be different service and warranty pricing for the new X43 versions of the "AMG" models. Making all the other pricing match the X63 versions doesn't really make much sense.. some sense, but not the full sense.
Old 05-13-2016, 11:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MERCEDES GLA45
Bummer, I had not been on this forum in the past, but drove a C450 And liked it as a replacement for my GLA 45 with the only reservation being that it was neither fish nor fowl. Ordered anyway for a scheduled build of May 25! No heads-up from my dealer. I am not happy! that order gets cancelled tomorrow unless a large additional discount is found. As someone who has purchased over 25 new cars from a this dealer over the years, they will either have to make me very happy or later se my business.
Old 05-14-2016, 11:10 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
2016 C450

I'll bet you a dollar he's wrong about it having the button on the center console
Old 05-14-2016, 11:24 PM

I don't give a **** either way about the button, but I'd take the bet. Trust this guy to have gotten solid info, but until it's official from MB who really knows.
Old 05-15-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
996 Carrera, G55 AMG
Since the 43 has the same hp/torque figures as the 450, the "benefit" is the sound difference. At least AWE claims a small hp/torque increase.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: AMG-Sport is dead. C450 will now be AMG C43