C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Trade-Assist questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2016, 02:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by jobin84

From your build date you probably didn't have to deal with the bleeding mb-tex issue and did you watch the video I attached on my first post. The brakes sound like this every time the car is backed up, not just at start up. And I first took it in to be fixed about 3 months ago. Is this really acceptable for a 50k car?? My point is where do the problems stop...

I have leather, so I didn't have to deal with bleeding plastic seats covers.

I understand your frustration with your car, and I agree that a $50,000 vehicle should not have these minor issues, but if Mercedes is prepared to correct all the issues under warranty...no harm no foul.

BUT when engine or transmission issues pop up, well that's where I draw the line. Transmission issues for instance was the reason I got rid of my 2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee.
Old 02-10-2016, 02:55 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by jobin84
From your build date you probably didn't have to deal with the bleeding mb-tex issue and did you watch the video I attached on my first post. The brakes sound like this every time the car is backed up, not just at start up. And I first took it in to be fixed about 3 months ago. Is this really acceptable for a 50k car?? My point is where do the problems stop...
unfortunately 50k is what gets you in the door for a c-class. saying that to a dealer wont get you anywhere when they are selling cars over $100k all day long.
Old 02-14-2016, 09:51 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300 Sport Package
How does trade assist work exactly?

I've had the following problems, all replaced under warranty. In 15 months of ownership, less than 9,000 miles, the car has been in service nearly 30 days for these warranty problems. It is a July/August 2014 US build.

1. bleeding MB-Tex -- seat covers replaced under warranty;
2. recall for potential fuel gauge short -- repaired under warranty;
3. recall for suspension nut -- replaced under warranty;
4. recall for steering software -- updated under warranty;
5. one exterior door handle light out -- replaced under warranty;
6. squealing brakes when cold -- front pads replaced with new shimmed pads under warranty;
7. squealing brakes when cold (again); front pads replaced again;
8. squeaking/rattling windows -- MB lube applied by dealer under warranty;
9. wrist pin defect -- pistons, rods, head bolts, etc. replaced; warranty;
10. belt tensioner and alternator replaced; warranty.

I'm thinking this car is hexed. Any thoughts on what I could expect on a "trade assist"?

Last edited by djdj; 02-14-2016 at 10:47 AM.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts
2017 E400 wagon
Originally Posted by djdj

I've had the following problems, all replaced under warranty. In 15 months of ownership, less than 9,000 miles, the car has been in service nearly 30 days for these warranty problems. It is a July/August 2014 US build.

6. squealing brakes when cold -- front pads replaced with new shimmed pads under warranty;

I'm thinking this car is hexed. Any thoughts on what I could expect on a "trade assist"?
7 out of those 10 problems (not 5, 9 or 10) affect all C300s, so I wouldn't think it's hexed just yet. Problem 5 seems minor enough. For 9 and 10, I hope the dealer didn't make any fuss about diagnosis and repair. How long was it in the shop for those two?

Part of the problem is that you bought one of the first W205s to hit the market. If you look at recalls on comparable early cars, you'll find quite a few as well (even on Japanese/Korean cars). You also, hopefully, didn't have to pay out of pocket for any repairs.

Going forward, if there's another issue, I'd ask the dealer to pick up your car, rather than have you come to them (if they don't do so, already). That'll minimize the inconvenience to you. If it keeps throwing up issues that aren't W205-wide, then you may have a bad car on your hands.
Old 02-14-2016, 06:58 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
Originally Posted by djdj

Did you buy the car? Only way to find out is call MBUSA. Really not sure what the case is with a lease. That said, if they have fixed most of these, I'm not sure what they will do. I think however you have a case if you bought it to get an extended warranty and/or prepaid maintenance on your car.

When my power steering first went they said they would offer me prepaid maintenance for the inconvenience. The second time it happened in a month, the MB then became a safety issue (both times I was already driving - it was not on start up) and I no longer trusted the car and it was one step away from lemon law status (my state suggested I should send the letter). At that point I asked for a trade assist.

I did get a swap on the mb-tex but that was because the car was one week old when they took it back and had