C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Actual experience on Navi in multimedia pakcage?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 02:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not applicable
Actual experience on Navi in multimedia pakcage?

Hello all,

Actually I am asking for GLC, unfortunately not too many real experience on Navigation on GLC. I think maybe experience from C-class owner (especially 2016 C-class) would be also helpful as they are essentially the same system, right?

I order multimedia package on my GLC build list. Never use Mercedes system before. Would any owner mind to share your actual experience on Command Navigation? Is it accurate enough? Find every address/POI you want? Quickly positioning and re-calculate the route?

I order not only MM package but also HUD. I am hoping Navigation is good enough and I can enjoy the information and guidance from HUD!

I am in San Francisco Bay Area.

Million thanks!
Old 02-05-2016, 02:52 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c450
I have a c450 and find command usually easy and accurate, but on occasion a function is obtuse, irritating and frustrating. On balance, I'm glad I have command and multimedia.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 327 Likes on 260 Posts
2019 E450 4Matic & 2018 E400 4Matic
I have both a 2016 C300 Sport and GLC300 both with MM. The Comand Navigation system in my experience has been flawless. It's certainly miles above what it was in my 2012 E350 Coupe.
Old 02-05-2016, 03:28 PM
Banned

2016 c450
I agree the system is flawless, the fault is in my brain....
Old 02-05-2016, 03:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c450
I have a c450 and have never had a problem with it. Very accurate, never took me to the wrong place, and easy to use.
Old 02-06-2016, 08:29 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C-300
So i've actually had the garmin nav (base NAV) and command (I've had 3 C w-205's in one year). I'm somewhat indifferent between them. I actually like that the Command NAV has smaller font and looks less busy but others may disagree.

Not sure if this is a command option only but I like that you can send a location to your car via your phone MBrace app. Very cool. That said, today the command system took me to a location via local roads (and not a great area) that was less mileage than going to the next exit and taking a highway but took so much longer because it was local and there were lights. And again, it took me through somewhat of an unsavory area. It sounds wrong but I do wish there was a "crime rate" sensitivity option. On my wife's X5 we went to the same location last year and it used the longer but quicker highway route. Go figure.
Old 02-07-2016, 07:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 55 Likes on 51 Posts
2013 C250 Sport
I believe there is a shortest and fastest option. I only have experience on the 2013 Comand system but it does have some sort of geo-boundary option. It sounds complicated but I think the idea is to set some areas off limits.

I heard a funny comedy routine where the guy was stuck in a bad neighborhood. He figured the fastest way out was to punch in Barnes and Noble into his GPS.
Old 02-08-2016, 02:15 PM
mvw

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450 AMG; 2015 Infiniti QX60
Originally Posted by lin8810
Hello all,

Actually I am asking for GLC, unfortunately not too many real experience on Navigation on GLC. I think maybe experience from C-class owner (especially 2016 C-class) would be also helpful as they are essentially the same system, right?

I order multimedia package on my GLC build list. Never use Mercedes system before. Would any owner mind to share your actual experience on Command Navigation? Is it accurate enough? Find every address/POI you want? Quickly positioning and re-calculate the route?

I order not only MM package but also HUD. I am hoping Navigation is good enough and I can enjoy the information and guidance from HUD!

Million thanks!
Not in your area but I have found the system very good on addresses, with excellent voice recognition that allows me to use voice for 95%+ of entries.

The POI system is terrible, though, and I have never been able to use the system to enter a name of a place I am looking for (like a particular restaurant or hockey rink) and actually have the system find it. Plus te system is cumbersome for entering names so it ends up taking forever and not actually accomplishing anything.
Old 02-09-2016, 12:43 AM

W205
I'll play devil's advocate here: I still use google maps with my phone instead of the GPS. The COMAND GPS is a counter-intuitive design that makes it difficult to simply find a destination. If you use it with the app or with voice command, it works OK, but other than that google maps is still the best. Also, I don't like that I can't see all of my stereo info while the GPS is up. Lastly, I dislike the different views it provides. It can be a little confusing, and it won't tell you it's time to exit the freeway or make a turn until you're less than a mile away. If they fixed this simple issue, and made the next turn/exit always on display, it would be 100x better.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:02 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
Well I have the Garmin system right now and i've been wondering if it's worth upgrading to COMAND for my next C300 because the Garmin has been a huge disappointment. It's just a messed up implementation that MB should be ashamed of. The greatest feature though is the lane-assist view, which I doubt COMAND navi has.
Old 02-09-2016, 09:46 AM
Banned

2016 c450
My c450 has it.
Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 107 Likes on 75 Posts
2018 AMG GTR, 2017 GLS63, 2019 C63s
I actually have had problems with it as it gets very close to destination it gives me options that don't exist. The problem is not new construction and may be a setting that I have to modify.
I seem to be alone about this but I wanted to share. Here's my complaint:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w205/612960-comand-navi-stupid.html
Old 02-09-2016, 10:38 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by RemmyZero
Well I have the Garmin system right now and i've been wondering if it's worth upgrading to COMAND for my next C300 because the Garmin has been a huge disappointment. It's just a messed up implementation that MB should be ashamed of. The greatest feature though is the lane-assist view, which I doubt COMAND navi has.
Well Actually Comand does have that. It is very handy because it displays on the HUD.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:53 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
Hello all,

Million thanks!
Hi,

I am from the Netherlands and have C350e with comand and hud.
The navi works great for my area and the voice recognition is almost flawless for address entries. For POI's you need textual input. There the thouchpad is very handy. However i don't use POI's a lot
Navi info on hud is great. Hud seems to float above the bumper so.
Old 02-10-2016, 05:54 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
Hello all,

Million thanks!
Hi,

I am from the Netherlands and have C350e with comand and hud.
The navi works great for my area and the voice recognition is almost flawless for address entries. For POI's you need textual input. There the thouchpad is very handy. However i don't use POI's a lot
Navi info on hud is great. Hud seems to float above the bumper so you have it good in focus when looking straight ahead.
Old 02-10-2016, 07:47 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
C450
I find the COMAND system better suited to a European highway layout. When going somewhere in Europe the highways stretch from city to city with usually only one exit per city or the highway goes through the city. Surface streets don't usually extend from town to town. It's unlikely that you would ever choose a destination without knowing what city it was in. Therefore the City-Street-number sequence makes sense.

Here in California, that's not the way we think. There are often dozens of exits within a city, streets stretch between multiple cities. You may know the place you are looking for is on Sepulveda but have no idea what city. The only way I can stand using COMAND is embrace send to benz because you can search from places like you do in Google maps. The garmin add on does not accept send to benz
Old 02-10-2016, 07:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by Popcrnchicken
I'll play devil's advocate here: I still use google maps with my phone instead of the GPS. The COMAND GPS is a counter-intuitive design that makes it difficult to simply find a destination. If you use it with the app or with voice command, it works OK, but other than that google maps is still the best. Also, I don't like that I can't see all of my stereo info while the GPS is up. Lastly, I dislike the different views it provides. It can be a little confusing, and it won't tell you it's time to exit the freeway or make a turn until you're less than a mile away. If they fixed this simple issue, and made the next turn/exit always on display, it would be 100x better.
i get that. there is a problem that the system cant split duties simultaneously and constantly...however i've found the quick command for audio is super easy to use and toggle (hitting the center button on the touch pad when the navi is on) and i actually now love having the whole screen be the map as i just like to let the music play as opposed to constantly adjusting the track or input.

also, having the nav directions or audio settings on in the center screen between the gauges is a great alternative to your needs.

but yes...i wish the COMMAND system was more customizable...like maybe have the ability to split screen the nav directions with a constant box for the next step in your route as opposed to having it show up right before you need to make the move...had it on my ford focus and LOVED that feature

all this being said, such a great quality screen, easy to use voice commands to input directions, quick alternative route changes, traffic is useful but not always accurate, and the ability to shut the woman off makes it an overall great experience. DONT HESITATE GETTING THE OPTION!
Old 02-10-2016, 09:44 PM

CRV
I have MM. I don't use NAV much. The time I was using it did not have a road that has been there, for a year? Kind of disappointed.

Personally I always look up the google map before I try to get anywhere. As nice as the screen looks, I probably will pass NAV on my next car. Problem is I've said the same when I had my previous 2 cars. Haha.
Old 02-11-2016, 07:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Voice command makes this entire system much more user friendly. Manual inputs are awkward, although the Send2Benz app that comes with MBrace is very easy to use and works well.

Overall, I like the navigation and find the display to be very readable and fairly comprehensive. I have two complaints with it: here in the US, speed limits can not be displayed, which is really annoying. Also, as others have noted, the directions can take you off major highways and route you through side roads for no apparent reason. I see that all the time, and the route mode being used has no bearing on this. I still have no idea why it does that.
Old 02-11-2016, 09:37 AM

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
2015 C300
Originally Posted by StanNH
Voice command makes this entire system much more user friendly. Manual inputs are awkward, although the Send2Benz app that comes with MBrace is very easy to use and works well.

Overall, I like the navigation and find the display to be very readable and fairly comprehensive. I have two complaints with it: here in the US, speed limits can not be displayed, which is really annoying. Also, as others have noted, the directions can take you off major highways and route you through side roads for no apparent reason. I see that all the time, and the route mode being used has no bearing on this. I still have no idea why it does that.

I agree with all your points. On one trip from Orange County, CA to San Francisco, it routed me through downtown LA! I would add one more complaint - the road graphics on all but the largest roads are pencil thin - really hard to see. I suppose Jony Ive would appreciate this design choice, but I think it makes the map really hard to read. Overall, I still like it, and would get it again.