C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Accelerating Issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-07-2016, 11:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C250 Bluetec AMG Line
Accelerating Issue

So I have just hit 10,000kms at 11 months.. and I am still very much loving my W205. A few niggly problems here and there but Westpoint Star seem to be onto it quick enough.

Issue that I have that is that a) my dealer is 550kms from me so I usually have to do a bit of research into my issue before dropping it off at the dealership, so it gets fixed right, the first time.

The past few thousand kilometres has me stumped and is one of those issues that you can't just reproduce at will.

Every two to three weeks a problem pops up where whenever I accelerate from a full stop or very slow give way situation there is a huge delay before the engine responds and the car takes off.

Anywhere from 5-10 seconds, which is huge.. numerous times I have rolled through the stop/give way sign being unable to make the car accelerate.

Both the engine and transmission still run faultlessly but its like it loses connection between the accelerator and the engine/transmission.

I can pump the accelerator numerous times with no response... even with the pedal flat to the floor , nothing nothing nothing, then ever so slowly the car will pick up speed. It will do this more often than not throughout the rest of the day. Next day, it drives perfectly fine. Go figure?!

Transmissions Issue?
Turbo issue?
Software issue?

In all my years and cars I have never encountered something so random.
Anyone else heard of such a problem? I can see the fun I will have this time around at the dealership when I drop the car off and the car won't play up.

Last edited by digitallust_aus; 02-07-2016 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Typo ;)
Old 02-07-2016, 06:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C400
You are not alone. I had a similar issue occur about a month ago. I was on the interstate traveling 70 mph when the accelerator became unresponsive.

At first my service department said they couldn't do anything unless it could be replicated. I refused to drive the car off the lot and it has been siting there since 1/13. Someone from MBUSA came to look at the vehicle but there is still no resolution.

I've done my own research and have found reports dating back to the 2012 model year and across most MB models. It was a very common issue for the 2014 CLA.

It's a very dangerous problem and should be addressed by your dealer.

If you visit safercar.gov you can see the dozens of similar complaints from other drivers and it will give you more ammunition when you go visit your dealer.
Old 02-08-2016, 07:21 AM

Very interesting read at safercar.org.... It is a very dangerous issue, something that I hope is fixed sooner rather than later.

Originally Posted by twinturbo6
You are not alone. I had a similar issue occur about a month ago. I was on the interstate traveling 70 mph when the accelerator became unresponsive.

At first my service department said they couldn't do anything unless it could be replicated. I refused to drive the car off the lot and it has been siting there since 1/13. Someone from MBUSA came to look at the vehicle but there is still no resolution.

I've done my own research and have found reports dating back to the 2012 model year and across most MB models. It was a very common issue for the 2014 CLA.

If you visit safercar.gov you can see the dozens of similar complaints from other drivers and it will give you more ammunition when you go visit your dealer.
Old 02-08-2016, 08:09 AM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 c450
Link? I can't find it.
Old 02-08-2016, 12:34 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C400
If you visit the Vehicle Owners tab and then select a vehicle, the reports are listed under the complaints tab.

Here is the link for the 2015 C300 then select complaints...
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/...od_ids=1977331
Old 08-09-2018, 09:51 PM

C250
@digitallust_aus - did you ever solve this? I have a 2012 C250 and have exactly the same issue you described. The dealership is not finding any fault codes. The problem can't be reproduced.
The car is too dangerous to drive.
Anything you can provide will be helpful.
Thank you,
Old 08-10-2018, 05:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 C300
Originally Posted by pvecchio99
@digitallust_aus - did you ever solve this? I have a 2012 C250 and have exactly the same issue you described. The dealership is not finding any fault codes. The problem can't be reproduced.
Thank you,
i had this problem with my last car CLA250 and it turn out to be the accelerator switch. The gold plateing on the switch corroded and apparently is pretty common fault.
Old 08-10-2018, 08:52 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2017 C300
Originally Posted by twinturbo6

if the car is still under 2 years, you can consider exercising the lemon law.
Old 08-11-2018, 12:22 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2015 C250 AMG Line, Vision, COMMAND, Seat Comfort, Driver Assistance, Parking Assistance W205
Thank you,
Excuse the non technical description, but I've had the issue of when slowing down to giveway or roundabouts that the car is very slow to accelerate again, up to 5 secs after accelerating.

Dealer acknowledged it's a software issue where the car tries to anticipate your driving style and knows you slow down in such situations.

They can wipe the car's memory of your driving and it fixes it for a few months until it happens again.
Old 08-11-2018, 02:14 AM

15 C300 4Matic
Turbo lag?

Think you may be talking about the turbo lag. What mode do you drive in? I remember other threads on here talking about mitigating that by driving in Sport mode and/or looking into a tuner.
Old 08-13-2018, 08:14 PM

C250
I've experienced the issue in both modes. Rode mostly in Economy, then switched to Sport. In Sport mode is where I had a much more debilitating experience. Instead of the usual few second lag, the accelerator completely disengaged for 30 seconds. Had to pull over in the emergency lane. Tried pushing on the gas pedal and ultimately plunging it to the floor. Nothing. Was thinking about who to call first and then it re-engaged. I don't remember if it righted itself when I put it in Park or if it happened just afterwards.
Since it seemed like it was getting worse, I couldn't help but think it's more of a switch or sensor on the fritz and not just driving habits.
So frustrated that it doesn't show any fault codes, not sure how the dealer is going to fix/resolve it.
Two weeks in the shop now...
Old 08-17-2018, 12:18 AM

I've experienced the issue in both modes. Rode mostly in Economy, then switched to Sport. In Sport mode is where I had a much more debilitating experience. Instead of the usual few second lag, the accelerator completely disengaged for 30 seconds. Had to pull over in the emergency lane. Tried pushing on the gas pedal and ultimately plunging it to the floor. Nothing. Was thinking about who to call first and then it re-engaged. I don't remember if it righted itself when I put it in Park or if it happened just afterwards.
Since it seemed like it was getting worse, I couldn't help but think it's more of a switch or sensor on the fritz and not just driving habits.
So frustrated that it doesn't show any fault codes, not sure how the dealer is going to fix/resolve it.
Two weeks in the shop now...
Hey, thanks for the message. To be honest, it did it quite a few times over a six month period then it just never occurred again. The service centre could never fault it when it was in with them.
I sold the Mercedes to a friend back in Feb of this year. He said it hasn't missed a beat in any way shape or form. Sorry I couldn't offer any further help.
Old 08-17-2018, 08:06 AM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Thank you,
Something like this happened on my W204/MY13 C300 in the last year of its lease....the dealer found some fault code that they said was 'unknown' and had to calll it in for more support. There were no clear remediation steps other than to 'reset the system', if I remember it right, and fortunately it never happened again. It happened just a little bit away from home, but had it happened on a highway it would have been pretty scary and dangerous. I've got a MY19 C300 on order and really hope this issue isn't present in the 2019s.