C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

How to take care of your C class?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-10-2016, 03:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C220 Premium
How to take care of your C class?

Hi guys,
I just bought my C class (second hand) , it is my first mercedes and i really love to drive it. Now i am already thinking how to take care of it, to keep it perfect in the following years. I am specially concerned for the interior red cranberry leather seats and details. I wonder if you experienced guys have any good suggestion... I saw many commercials on some new product like Gyeon leather coat and exterior water repellent coating. Are those product trustable in long terms? Do you use official Mercedes products for the car care?are those interior and exterior coating usefull? Or just a waste of time and money? Thanks you all
Old 04-10-2016, 04:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
This is my 5th Benz and what I've learned over the years is to use as little chemicals or treatments as possible on the interior. A Magic Eraser and water in a spray bottle to spot clean the seats if necessary. I use Zaino finishing spray on the glossy interior bits and to dust the dash and console, but I try to keep everything dry and clean vs leather cleaner and treatments. The leather seems to hold up better over the long haul that way. My cars are garaged at night and I have full tint so UV isn't a big issue as far as protection.

Exterior I use Zaino Polish, which is non abrasive and can be layered for a deep gloss. I try to get 5 coats on when the weather is cool and it lasts the rest of the year. www.zainostore.com. Their "Showcar" kit is a good way to start. Or ZX5 Polish + Clay Bar + ZFX Flash Cure + Z6 Finishing Spray.

The Flash Cure is needed for the first application and also if you want to do multiple coats without waiting 24 hours in between. The car must be washed with Dawn to remove any existing waxes or polishes, then clayed if there are contaminants in the paint. Once it's glassy smooth, do the polish with the additive.,

After the first application, subsequent coats are very easy to apply and the paint stays protected for months. Highly recommended, used it exclusively on two black S Classes.
The following users liked this post:
YashaR8 (04-10-2016)
Old 04-10-2016, 06:08 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
Check out autogeek online.
Every aspect of detailing correctly such that you do not cause damage is covered in great detail.

Caution with magic eraser, it is a mild abrasive, careless use can damage some surfaces and materials.... They are great in the right circumstances when used correctly...

Anticipate becoming a detailing enthusiast... It's addictive..
Old 04-10-2016, 08:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Just got the car clayed and the first layer of Zaino. It's so much less car to take care of than the S Class. Took about half the time.

On the Magic Eraser, keep the area wet and stroke in one direction. As the soil floats up, get it with a soft cloth.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:37 PM

Hi Mike,
Have you looked into Iron-X ?
It's a worthwhile step ahead of claying...
Certainly in new cars and perhaps annually there after pending environment..
I only mention as I saw you Tok the time to clay...

On my new white C250 wagon I ended up;
Wash twice (foam no touch, then 2 bucket)
Dry (leaf blower not rub)
Iron-X
Wash
Clay
Rinse
Dry again
Polish (scholl S20 black)
Polish car pro reflect
Seal (Meg ULW)
Wax (pinnacle souveran)

Wheels
Same prep
But colinite 845

Since it's just weekly (sometime bi weekly) wash and bi weekly wax top up...

The paint prep was necessary to make the wax look good..
A total ball ache.. But necessary

That's merc white paint for you which is flat looking ironic vis it's not flat .. Orange peel...

Interior I use 303 aerospace and just a damp soft microfibre ... Have done so for 7 years on mb Rex and now leather.. Seeing as leather is our coated..
Old 04-10-2016, 09:48 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Do you all use any leather conditioner on the seats? Not a cleaner/conditioner, as the cleaner will just strip the oils out of the leather, but a pure condition to keep the leather moisturized?

I was thinking I could/should condition the seats the same way as I do my loafer/dress shoes, briefcase, belts, etc.
Old 04-10-2016, 09:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I've had cars where I've conditioned the leather religiously and it smells nice but I'm not sure it's necessary or if it isn't just slathering them with a bunch of creamy smelly stuff. I think leather is happier just being clean and dry.
Old 04-10-2016, 10:32 PM

our leather is coated...
So most treatments are cleaning only... I've they don't penetrate into the leather substrate....
As such some can leave a residue and smell more leathery..
Which is great but residue can attract dirt.. Not so good...

So for coated leather I clean with gentle all purpose or leather cleaner...
Then on occasion IF the coating is looking flat I may apply a very light leather
Care product, but I buff it afterwards to minimise residue...

This is very different from I coated leather.... Here dedicated cleaners and conditioners are a lot more important....

Also IF the coated leather is heavily worn, more treatment will be required as the leather below will be exposed....

Again, a better level of discussion and detail responses are available on autogeek online....

All the best...
Old 04-11-2016, 07:00 AM

C220 Premium
First of all thanks for your prompt replies. Today i went to the dealer for another matter (touch pad intermitted malfunctioning) meanwhile i asked them their suggestion on this matter. That guy told me interior parts just need to be cleaned, no treatment no coating. On the other side he recommended me to apply some water repellent polish coating to protect the exterior of the car! I will study on now what product to buy, i will maybe go for the Gyeon products
Old 04-11-2016, 11:44 AM

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe, 2013 Cadillac ATS 2.0T
Just wanted to chime in with agreement to Shadwell's recommended leather cleaning suggestion. As almost all car leather is coated (with some kind of urethane, or such) except for cars that state their leather is aniline (which ours isn't,) it is a futile exercise to leather conditioning products as they will not penetrate into the leather. Simple water and a mild soap (Woolite, for example) will do the job. However, if you don't believe this (as many don't) and use leather cleaning and conditioning products, you'll be making the manufactures' and marketing folks very, very happy without really improving on the water/soap approach. Furthermore, soap and water also for all vinyl (that is don't waste money on vinyl cleaning products, either,) with maybe a topcoat for some matte shine (I use Protectorant 303.) BTW, I've been using Zaino for the last 11 years...a great product line of products.
Old 04-11-2016, 11:49 AM

Received 19 Likes on 18 Posts
2016 C300
i've leased mine, so no expensive mods or detailing.

$11 auto car wash for me, all options minus wax. The wax at the auto wash places always make the car look worse.

i baby the car and make sure it is mechanically perfect, but as far as detailing i'm not willing to spend any of my time or money.
Old 04-11-2016, 12:14 PM

Received 73 Likes on 52 Posts
2019 E63S
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz

$11 auto car wash for me, all options minus wax. The wax at the auto wash places always make the car look worse.

i baby the car and make sure it is mechanically perfect, but as far as detailing i'm not willing to spend any of my time or money.
NY Car washes are the worst. It's constantly busy all day, and they dry your vehicle with the same towel they used for the 3 cars that came ahead of you, if not more. Swirls and micro scratches galore!

Mine is finance so I shall burden myself with tedious car care once every 6 weeks, I only drive my C450 about 400miles a month if not less
Old 04-11-2016, 03:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz

I'll run it thru a self serve machine wash once I've got enough polish on it. I'm not a slave to the thing, which is why I want a black interior (at least the lower half) and a color that hides dirt and shallow scratches. Just a weekend invested up front to get enough polish on it, maybe a single coat reapplication once a year after that. As long as water still beads up tight I'm good.
Old 04-11-2016, 09:35 PM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 c300
Originally Posted by moostacchio
Hi guys,
I just bought my C class (second hand) , it is my first mercedes and i really love to drive it. Now i am already thinking how to take care of it, to keep it perfect in the following years. I am specially concerned for the interior red cranberry leather seats and details. I wonder if you experienced guys have any good suggestion... I saw many commercials on some new product like Gyeon leather coat and exterior water repellent coating. Are those product trustable in long terms? Do you use official Mercedes products for the car care?are those interior and exterior coating usefull? Or just a waste of time and money? Thanks you all
Call griots garage and they will walk you through everything you need to do to care for your baby. They have great products and great customer support.
Old 04-12-2016, 11:34 AM

C300W4
During the cold season I use a car wash. Every 3-5 months I pay someone else to detail it with clay and mild polish and sealant etc.

During the summers I like to wash it myself by hand using the two bucket method and wax. I have clayed and polished it myself too.

For the interior MBTEX I just use a vacuum and a non-micro fiber cloth (the manual says not to use micro fiber) with 1z einszett cockpit premium cleaner which goes on and off easily leaving a matte luster.
Old 04-12-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
996 Carrera, G55 AMG
Is the Designo leather coated as well? Thanks!
Old 05-07-2016, 12:52 PM

C300W4
Oops wrong thread.

Last edited by Jadis; 05-07-2016 at 01:09 PM.
Old 05-30-2016, 01:58 PM

C300W4
Oops.