C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Head-Up Display currently not available across all 2017 W205 C-class models

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-04-2016, 08:05 PM

Received 20 Likes on 13 Posts
2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
Any information on how lond till the HUD is available on 2017 w205 ?
Supposed to be available late Aug or Sept from what I've heard.
Old 06-07-2016, 09:19 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S5
This may be unrealistic to ask....but do you think your source as to August/Sept is knowledgeable on the subject? Moreover, will MB "accept" an order and place on hold until the HUD is available if I go in that direction?
Old 06-07-2016, 09:27 AM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
Originally Posted by infinitiS5
This may be unrealistic to ask....but do you think your source as to August/Sept is knowledgeable on the subject? Moreover, will MB "accept" an order and place on hold until the HUD is available if I go in that direction?
In talking w my dealer yesterday while placing an order, they are inconsistent. They will either (most likely) begin the build and then hit the dealer up and say "We can't proceed because we don't have this part...we are going to build it without it." Sometimes, instead, they will hold the build and delay it until the missing part returns to inventory.

He said the former is the most common, but he's seen cases of the later. To be safe and ensure I don't delay my order, I removed it and told him I'd add it later if he/I heard more promising news on the supply issue.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:56 AM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Here are the following 3 options I've asked my dealer to pursue at this point:

1) Add HUD to my existing order as soon as it's available, at some point between now and the deadline by which changes can be made to that existing order currently scheduled for Sept. production. I am willing to accept a further-delayed production date on the existing order if necessary. This is likely the best case scenario option.

2) If we get to the last day by which changes can be made to my existing order scheduled for Sept. production and HUD is still not available to add, cancel that existing order and create an identical, new order with the HUD at the earliest date it's available to order. If for some reason it becomes possible to create a new order with HUD meanwhile still not possible to add to my existing order, create that new order ASAP and either cancel the original order or keep for dealer inventory; or

3) If there is or there becomes another order with config. like mine in Netstar that has HUD confirmed with a production date for US delivery, see if we can do a trade on that car to get it at MB Plano.
The following 2 users liked this post by jhillman:
infinitiS5 (06-07-2016), SoCalRick (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by jhillman
Here are the following 3 options I've asked my dealer to pursue at this point:

1) Add HUD to my existing order as soon as it's available, at some point between now and the deadline by which changes can be made to that existing order currently scheduled for Sept. production. I am willing to accept a further-delayed production date on the existing order if necessary. This is likely the best case scenario option.

2) If we get to the last day by which changes can be made to my existing order scheduled for Sept. production and HUD is still not available to add, cancel that existing order and create an identical, new order with the HUD at the earliest date it's available to order. If for some reason it becomes possible to create a new order with HUD meanwhile still not possible to add to my existing order, create that new order ASAP and either cancel the original order or keep for dealer inventory; or

3) If there is or there becomes another order with config. like mine in Netstar that has HUD confirmed with a production date for US delivery, see if we can do a trade on that car to get it at MB Plano.
Damn, the HUD is pretty important to you eh? I must be undervaluing the hell out of this thing.
The following users liked this post:
infinitiS5 (06-07-2016)
Old 06-07-2016, 01:37 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Audi S5
Originally Posted by inhartwetrust
Damn, the HUD is pretty important to you eh? I must be undervaluing the hell out of this thing.
No - may not be that important! My wife has it on a new BMW 340i and likes it...while my daughter has an X1 w/o it. Having driven both....not really sure if I love it. BTW - do you have that pricing guide for the C43...would like to know before I start dealing! Thanks
Old 06-07-2016, 01:39 PM

Originally Posted by infinitiS5
No - may not be that important! My wife has it on a new BMW 340i and likes it...while my daughter has an X1 w/o it. Having driven both....not really sure if I love it. BTW - do you have that pricing guide for the C43...would like to know before I start dealing! Thanks
The only price I know for sure is the $55,500 base cost...the rest is all estimated until the new guides come out including the AMG option pricing.
Old 06-07-2016, 04:45 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
N/A
We've just ordered our C43 Coupe in the UK, delivery scheduled for October, including the HUD. We'll see when we get to order lock down as to whether there are still any supply issues.
Old 06-07-2016, 05:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
My build date is mid August for USA ... How can I find out if I should push it back a few weeks if HUD will be available in September? My dealer said if it had the HUD on the order the computer wouldn't give him a build date..but without the HUD it gave him the mid August build date... That's all he knew..I would be really upset if it was built and then they came back in stock 2 weeks later.. But I don't want to wait till November for the build either..any ideas how to get a better answer about the HUD and if it's worth waiting another month?

Last edited by Gungaslow; 06-07-2016 at 05:34 PM.
Old 06-07-2016, 06:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 558 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
In terms of "gotta have it" on a 1-10, pre build I was thinking 7 or 8. Having it (fun for a few weeks, now off most of the time) I'd put it at a solid 3.5, at least for me. I find the font too large and the colors not especially appealing. Personally I wouldn't delay a build, but everyone's priorities are unique.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:41 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Mike5215
In terms of "gotta have it" on a 1-10, pre build I was thinking 7 or 8. Having it (fun for a few weeks, now off most of the time) I'd put it at a solid 3.5, at least for me. I find the font too large and the colors not especially appealing. Personally I wouldn't delay a build, but everyone's priorities are unique.
The font and almost everything from the HUD can be adjusted. This is something not from the user manual, and a foreman showed me. (use at your own risk)

Engine start position at 1.
At the steering wheel, press two buttons at the same time (one first then the other, but I don;t remember exact order).
Left, the return button.
Right, the phone (answer call) button.

This will take you to a hidden manual which you can adjust tons of things including HUD. I figured out it is nice to share.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 270 Likes on 184 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by arnold0523
The font and almost everything from the HUD can be adjusted. This is something not from the user manual, and a foreman showed me. (use at your own risk)

Engine start position at 1.
At the steering wheel, press two buttons at the same time (one first then the other, but I don;t remember exact order).
Left, the return button.
Right, the phone (answer call) button.

This will take you to a hidden manual which you can adjust tons of things including HUD. I figured out it is nice to share.
Well, that certainly is confusing. Press two buttons at the same time (one first then the other) ???
Old 06-07-2016, 11:43 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by Mikey53
Well, that certainly is confusing. Press two buttons at the same time (one first then the other) ???
Yea, one hand presses the button on the left of the steering wheel. The other presses the right. - two buttons together at the same time..
Old 06-07-2016, 11:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I'm gonna hack the crap outta that biotch!
Old 06-07-2016, 11:50 PM

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts
W205 C250BT
Originally Posted by Mikey53
What the guy is describing is probably just the service menu, which has been covered a few times (e.g. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...indicator.html)

Within the service menu there's a stack of sub menu options for configuring and testing the HUD. You can bring up various test images and shape the geometry of the image (i.e. width, height, warp, etc.). There's no options to configure fonts as he suggested.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:53 PM

2017 C43 Sedan
Originally Posted by DBOC205
What the guy is describing is probably just the service menu, which has been covered a few times (e.g. https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...indicator.html)

Within the service menu there's a stack of sub menu options for configuring and testing the HUD. You can bring up various test images and shape the geometry of the image (i.e. width, height, warp, etc.). There's no options to configure fonts as he suggested.
Well you are right about that menu. But I think the font size can be adjusted by adjusting the overall frame.
Old 06-07-2016, 11:56 PM

Received 58 Likes on 55 Posts
C300 S205 AMG, GLA 45 AMG
[QUOTE=

This will take you to a hidden manual which you can adjust tons of things including HUD. I figured out it is nice to share.[/QUOTE]

Primarily it enables the position, form and shape of the HUD display.. almost exactly the same as the Screen display tuning options on your TV.. eg stretch / compress the form horizontally and vertically, tilt the form about 2 axis...
The text font is not an option to change, neither is the color...

In summary all this did for me was slightly increase the size of the display within its limits and tuned to my line of sight to make the form perfectly square (in perception anyway.. )

So while it is adjustalel but not in the way many would perhaps like..
I would like to switch bewteen speed and nav (current standard data) to performance, eg speed, rpm gear, oil and water temp and boost but thats too much to ask it seems.. (unless a C63..)....
Old 06-07-2016, 11:59 PM

Received 107 Likes on 63 Posts
W205 C250BT
I suppose you can stretch the image (and re-position it), but that's not an adjustment of font size. If you make it larger the result is that parts of the display will fall off the edge of the monitor. You can see how far you can stretch or zoom the frame by bringing up one of the pattern test images. With a properly configured HUD, there's no room to move in terms of making things larger.
Old 06-08-2016, 12:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
I am not going to hack the crap out of that biotch!
Old 06-08-2016, 07:44 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 sedan
How can I get a definitive answer on when HUD will be available?
Old 06-08-2016, 08:06 AM

2017 AMG C63S Coupe
Originally Posted by Gungaslow
How can I get a definitive answer on when HUD will be available?
Your best bet is asking your dealer. If they don't know the answer, they should be able to contact someone at MBUSA to get the most updated status. Let us know what found out. Seems currently, no one has a definite timeline, just guesstimates.
Old 06-08-2016, 08:31 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
My sense is that since the factory that builds them was damaged badly enough by an earthquake to put them off line it's a question of trying to guess how bad the damage was and how long the repairs will take. I recall a tsunami wiping out the hard drive manufacturing capacity in Asia a few years ago and it took almost a full year before the supply chain was restored.
Old 06-09-2016, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2017 C43 sedan
Anyone have any news on the availability of this HUD fashizle ?
Old 06-09-2016, 03:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by Mike5215
My sense is that since the factory that builds them was damaged badly enough by an earthquake to put them off line it's a question of trying to guess how bad the damage was and how long the repairs will take. I recall a tsunami wiping out the hard drive manufacturing capacity in Asia a few years ago and it took almost a full year before the supply chain was restored.
I think it's a little more complicated than that. There are alternate suppliers for the technology but the demand is exceeding capacity atm. With a major disruption to one key supplier, the global supply chain for these systems becomes disrupted. Other suppliers are already likely at capacity due to rapidly increasing demand, so they can't simply increase production until further capacity improvements are implemented. This supply crunch will continue well after the affected plant comes on line. HUD supply will likely remain tight until substantial new manufacturing capacity is brought on line.
Old 06-09-2016, 04:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Mr. J
I think it's a little more complicated than that. There are alternate suppliers for the technology but the demand is exceeding capacity atm. With a major disruption to one key supplier, the global supply chain for these systems becomes disrupted. Other suppliers are already likely at capacity due to rapidly increasing demand, so they can't simply increase production until further capacity improvements are implemented. This supply crunch will continue well after the affected plant comes on line. HUD supply will likely remain tight until substantial new manufacturing capacity is brought on line.
I dunno. There was no supply chain shortage before those plants were damaged. A lot of Asian tech companies for whatever reason tend to be concentrated in one region, and a natural disaster wipes them out. Once those plants come back online I think availability will normalize quickly.

Meanwhile, while these whiny workers are complaining because a so called "earthquake" apparently "destroyed their homes and factories", what are Mercedes owners expected to do to know their speed? Look down??

SMH, factory workers.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Head-Up Display currently not available across all 2017 W205 C-class models