C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Umm....The the hell is this?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2016, 08:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 680 Likes on 535 Posts
c
Originally Posted by NYbenzzz
man....the more i look at it......the more i hate it.

and i was looking into leasing one after my current C is due.

hopefully they do something in 3 years.......othersie A5/S5 for me (hoping they do a major re-design)
Audi is debuting the B9 A5 on June 2nd.

Stay tuned! I am very excited to see it.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:41 AM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by alexasa
Audi is debuting the B9 A5 on June 2nd.

Stay tuned! I am very excited to see it.
I just mentally can't get over FWD dynamics in a luxury brand. With the S4/S5 you would never know because of the torque split etc and they tune the chassis very well but just knowing that if I had a 2.0T that it was a FWD engineered car, that would bother me
Old 05-23-2016, 10:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Originally Posted by topsider
I just mentally can't get over FWD dynamics in a luxury brand. With the S4/S5 you would never know because of the torque split etc and they tune the chassis very well but just knowing that if I had a 2.0T that it was a FWD engineered car, that would bother me
A5/S5 literally only comes in AWD.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:57 AM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
A5/S5 literally only comes in AWD.
right, but it is based on the A4, which comes standard with FWD. One of the biggest drawbacks of a FWD engineered chassis is that the midpoint of the engine is always in front of the front axle, which places a lot weight in the front of the car, thus creating front-heavy driving dynamics of a FWD car. these images tell a good deal of the story. Clarkson also spoke on this when reviewing the B7 RS4

Old 05-23-2016, 11:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
Audi is notorious for under steer (due to chassis design) regardless of of it being completely unrelated to FWD.

I wouldn't hold your breathe for that to change.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:12 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Audi is notorious for under steer (due to chassis design) regardless of of it being completely unrelated to FWD.

I wouldn't hold your breathe for that to change.
How is their engine placement and handling characteristics completely unrelated to FWD design? If it is unrelated, why wouldn't they just move the engines rearward in a future chassis iteration for better handling? It's all down to cost consciousness and being able to share designs with VW. As much as I don't like the Japanese brands you gotta respect that Toyota (Lexus) and Nissan (Infiniti) took the time and money to engineer proper rear-drive chassis.

Anyways, I've taken this thread far off topic - back to those ugly bumpers!

Last edited by topsider; 05-23-2016 at 12:44 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:37 PM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts
2016 C450
If that was unrelated, why wouldn't they just move the engines rearward in a future chassis iteration for better handling? It's all down to cost consciousness and being able to share designs with VW. As much as I don't like the Japanese brands you gotta respect that Toyota (Lexus) and Nissan (Infiniti) took the time and money to engineer proper rear-drive chassis.

No offense, but bleep the ugly bumper.......we'll get back on MB's case shortly. Now, to those ***-backwards Audi engineers/corporate big shots and topsider's super-valid point.

The have to re-fit the engine long-ways to accommodate the rear-drive part of the quattro system. But instead of simply letting engine stay well aft of the front axle and closer to the firewall - like MB has a habit of doing.......what do they do? Put all that engine before the axle, and resort to mechanical trickery (optional Audi Drive Select) to make if feel like it's RWD.

Oh, and thanks for the show & tell pictures, 'cause everytime I think I'm going to get myself an S or RS (love me some RS5s), I can't pull the trigger and have to spend my cash elsewhere. Just can't do it. Not with 67/33 or 69/31 4matic staring me in the face.

Wanna hear more ? They have a FWD A-8 in Europe!! A big frickin A-8 pulled along by the front wheels. Brilliant. Now that's some crazy sh......stuff right there. Even Cadillac has moved mostly away from that silliness, but just in time for Ford-Lincoln to do it with the new Crown Victoria & Continental. Idiotas. Like having an AWD version makes it better (translation: The so-called hi-performance Ford Taurus SHO comes with AWD, but has torque-steer and understeer. What?)

Now I feel better. And here I thought I was the only one that hates the Audi FWD platform with their failure to have one knowledgeable, REAL car guy - just one! - calling the shots when doing the quattro platforms.
Old 05-23-2016, 12:40 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
Originally Posted by BRBM
No offense, but bleep the ugly bumper.......we'll get back on MB's case shortly. Now, to those ***-backwards Audi engineers/corporate big shots and topsider's super-valid point.

The have to re-fit the engine long-ways to accommodate the rear-drive part of the quattro system. But instead of simply letting engine stay well aft of the front axle and closer to the firewall - like MB has a habit of doing.......what do they do? Put all that engine before the axle, and resort to mechanical trickery (optional Audi Drive Select) to make if feel like it's RWD.

Oh, and thanks for the show & tell pictures, 'cause everytime I think I'm going to get myself an S or RS (love me some RS5s), I can't pull the trigger and have to spend my cash elsewhere. Just can't do it. Not with 67/33 or 69/31 4matic staring me in the face.

Wanna hear more ? They have a FWD A-8 in Europe!! A big frickin A-8 pulled along by the front wheels. Brilliant. Now that's some crazy sh......stuff right there. Even Cadillac has moved mostly away from that silliness, but just in time for Ford-Lincoln to do it with the new Crown Victoria & Continental. Idiotas. Like having an AWD version makes it better (translation: The so-called hi-performance Ford Taurus SHO comes with AWD, but has torque-steer and understeer. What?)

Now I feel better. And here I thought I was the only one that hates the Audi FWD platform with their failure to have one knowledgeable, REAL car guy - just one! - calling the shots when doing the quattro platforms.
yeah, it's unbelievable. The pre-facelift B8 S4 weight distribution was an atrocious 62/48...wtf! That is the whole reason Audi introduced the torque vectoring rear diff - to mask that push. Also, just read an article a little while back that audi is switching to a non-fulltime Quattro system to save gas. the new Allroad is FWD until it slips, they are even putting this on the lesser versions of the Q7 come next year. what a joke.

The former head of Quattro now heads up BMW M, maybe he was sick of it too!

Last edited by topsider; 05-23-2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 01:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

c
How is their engine placement and handling characteristics completely unrelated to FWD design? If it is unrelated, why wouldn't they just move the engines rearward in a future chassis iteration for better handling? It's all down to cost consciousness and being able to share designs with VW. As much as I don't like the Japanese brands you gotta respect that Toyota (Lexus) and Nissan (Infiniti) took the time and money to engineer proper rear-drive chassis.

When R8's have understeer.. lol (what I was referring to)

For real though, they simply don't have driving dynamics dialed in. Pushing the engine behind the front axle has yet to prove to solve it for them.
Old 05-23-2016, 02:05 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
When R8's have understeer.. lol (what I was referring to)

For real though, they simply don't have driving dynamics dialed in. Pushing the engine behind the front axle has yet to prove to solve it for them.
ohh gotcha
Old 05-23-2016, 02:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
bmw328i
Originally Posted by CO2010
I had the opportunity to witness them up close and personal at my local dealership. I can confirm that they look horrendous! Even worse on a white one they also had on the lot.

I should definitely go and see the car in different colors, seems unnoticeable, when the colors gets darker. But...still don't like that bumper

Should think about going for sedan or BMW 435i since there is huge discounts these days. Damm.. Or maybe, maybe c coupe if it's unnoticeable in gray or blue.
Old 05-23-2016, 04:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
If those are trap doors for hidden machine guns, I'd be okay with them. Still ugly, but other drivers would think twice about criticizing them.

I don't think the bumps would bother you much once you had the car for awhile. Like when you first meet a girl and you notice she has a slight overbite, but after you sleep with her a couple of times you totally don't even see the overbite anymore.

Unless you marry her. Then ALL you see is that stupid f'ing overbite. But I digress.

Last edited by Mike5215; 05-23-2016 at 04:17 PM.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:23 PM

2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
I saw the coupe at the dealer in blue, didn't really mind the bumps that much. One this i did notice is that the backseat is a complete joke. you would have to have no legs to be able to sit back there, and a 1 inch neck.
Old 05-23-2016, 09:43 PM

Received 66 Likes on 57 Posts
I saw the coupe at the dealer in blue, didn't really mind the bumps that much. One this i did notice is that the backseat is a complete joke. you would have to have no legs to be able to sit back there, and a 1 inch neck.
Girlfriend is 5'2", wonder if she could squeeze back there. As long as she and another girlfriend/fiancé of my friends could fit I'll be happy w it.

I've also got a couple 5'8" guys thay work for me that are going to want me to drive to lunch on Fridays...sucks to be them trying to squeeze in the back.
Old 05-23-2016, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah, that's a concern. I know our A5 had a very tight back seat and anyone who rode back there for more than a few minutes got car-sick. I treat a coupe like that as a 2 seater for all practical purposes.
Old 11-20-2016, 06:15 PM

Received 17 Likes on 13 Posts
2020 E53
I was at the dealer and saw them on a white C coupe in white.. These ugly *** bumpers **** look ridiculous, like a bad boob job. I have a new coupe being delivered this week and trading in my 2015 C 63S. If they cannot be removed they may be a deal killer. At a close inspection they look like they are just bolted on from behind for appearance. Saw them again today on a new C43 Burgundy Convertible. Looked better than white but still , Horrible !!!
Old 11-21-2016, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
They're a part of the Collision Avoidance System. Approaching drivers are so horrified by the sight of them they slam on their brakes and shut their eyes.
Old 11-21-2016, 10:48 AM

2020 E53
They look like a bad BOOB Job to me !!!
Old 11-21-2016, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
I'm going to research getting them removed as soon as possible.... :-)
Old 11-23-2016, 10:40 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 543 Likes on 479 Posts
2010 C300 4MATIC........ 2011 C63 AMG.............. 2015 CLS400 4MATIC.....
I don't like it but for me it isn't a big enough deal.

You could probably get rid of them somehow. There HAS to be a way...
Old 11-23-2016, 10:52 AM

2020 E53
My C63 delivers Friday
My first stop will be a body shop !
I want it to look like my 2015 C63 S I am training in.
Old 12-01-2016, 10:01 PM

2020 E53
OMG !!!!!
Traded in my 2015 C 63S sedan for delivery of my Silver 2017 C63 coupe. It was like looking at a new born with a birth defect on it's *** ! Before getting the keys ,went straight to parts to get a copy of the bumper details and drove it to the dealers body shop to remove this cancer. Getting estimates now. I refused to send pics to friends of the *** end for fear the would lol. It's a shame you spend this kind of money and need body work on new paint with 12 miles.
AMG is better than this.
Love everything about the New Coupe but the rear bumper. I will not be happy with this car till the bumper facelift is complete. Then, I can take it out in public w/o backing in to a parking spot. Keep you posted as to details of sugary and cost.
Pissed off new owner