C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Would You Buy Again?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2016 | 01:32 AM

2017 C43
Originally Posted by MASSC450
My wife will be trading her 2014 BMW 328i xDrive this September for an ordered 2017 Jaguar XE 35t R Sport.

$1,500 off MSRP, Jaguar $500 rebate, and Jaguar takes care of the 1st months payment...PLUS free maintenance for 5 years!

Do you have the numbers for your deal? Msrp, monthly payments and term? Unless you can only negotiate once the car is built and delivered. Also, did you have to put a deposit for your order?
Old 07-23-2016 | 05:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by mo11

Do you have the numbers for your deal? Msrp, monthly payments and term? Unless you can only negotiate once the car is built and delivered. Also, did you have to put a deposit for your order?
As it stands now, we've since received reservation confirmation from Jaguar (order number) that her ordered vehicle is coming and will be delivered to the dealership sometime in September. We also have written confirmation from Jaguar for the $500 rebate and 1st months payment. As for a down payment, we put $500 down which is fully refundable from Jaguar. All this was originally done online at the dealership through Jaguars website.

Now as for the discount off MSRP, this was a verbal agreement from the dealership's senior sales Manager (BTW...two other Jaguar dealerships in the area would also honor that same amount off sticker), that and he gave a ballpark figure for my wife's trade (a fair amount I would say), which is subject to reappraisal since all this occurred back in April. Of course the "deal" and official paperwork won't be written up until the new car arrives.

If for some reason the dealership goes back on their verbal agreement, we walk, and Jaguar refunds our $500...simple as that. IMO, there's no way the dealership is going to let us walk out the door...especially when it comes to a $57,000 customed ordered vehicle.
Old 07-23-2016 | 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by JBMCL

Have they fixed the issues for 2016 C300 models or are the 2016 experiencing the same issues?
So far it seems only the MY2015 is affected...

2015 Mercedes Benz TSB (Bulletin LI03-10P060916)
Bulletin Date: Jul. 1, 2015
Component: (pws).

Bulletin Summary: Xentry (daimler): due to unfavorable tolerance of piston wrist pin, resulting in knocking, clattering/rattling noises, causing an enlarge end float connecting rod in piston, from crank assembly of engine when cold. No model or years listed
The following users liked this post:
JBMCL (07-23-2016)
Old 07-23-2016 | 11:14 PM

W205 C250 Sedan
Got one of the first W205 during launch in Australia, had a few teething issues but all fixed.

Only fault is the Burmeister humming at certain audible ranges, which is poor considering the premium.
Old 07-24-2016 | 09:39 AM

2015 Mercedes C300 Sport
I'd buy a C300 again...or maybe upgrade to an E350 if I have the money. But like others said here, not highly impressed by the Benz quality...it's just good but not great to my standards.
Old 07-24-2016 | 10:13 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Coming from the brand's flagship x 3, and knowing how insanely expensive the S Class is to buy and own, my expectations for the near entry level C Class were lower. Obviously, the thing starts out at an MSRP that's less than half. Something's got to give.

Regardless of how you might load one up, at a base of $38k, for a Mercedes, you're never going to get a car that's truly representative of MB's capabilities as a builder. You're going to get a relatively inexpensive car that mimics the flagship within the confines of a much tighter budget.

I say "relatively". $38k is not small change and, depending on the builder, can buy you a lot of car. It just can't buy you a lot of Mercedes. Piling on the options (like I did) makes for a more enjoyable car, but it's still a $38k car in its bones.

Honestly, I think if MB could survive on nothing but S, SL, G Wagon and the pure AMG cars in the US they'd be thrilled not to have to dabble in anything with a five figure starting price. Their heart's just not in it. The C is a bread and butter car that sells huge volume and keeps the lights on, but it's not their best work.

If you want a "real", no compromise MB experience, that shows you what the brand is capable of when price isn't the primary focus, spend $40k or so on a nice CPO W221 S Class. Those cars are so nice to drive (or be driven in) it borders on over-kill. ( I don't miss my W221. The C is so much more modern and fun. Except on the interstate. Then I miss the S a little bit.)

If you go into the C thinking Mercedes kissed a frog and turned it into a prince, you'll probably be disappointed. It's still a frog. If you go into it from the perspective of what C Class money buys you from other manufacturers I think the C holds its own.
Old 07-24-2016 | 04:12 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Coming from the brand's flagship x 3, and knowing how insanely expensive the S Class is to buy and own, my expectations for the near entry level C Class were lower. Obviously, the thing starts out at an MSRP that's less than half. Something's got to give.

Regardless of how you might load one up, at a base of $38k, for a Mercedes, you're never going to get a car that's truly representative of MB's capabilities as a builder. You're going to get a relatively inexpensive car that mimics the flagship within the confines of a much tighter budget.

I say "relatively". $38k is not small change and, depending on the builder, can buy you a lot of car. It just can't buy you a lot of Mercedes. Piling on the options (like I did) makes for a more enjoyable car, but it's still a $38k car in its bones.

Honestly, I think if MB could survive on nothing but S, SL, G Wagon and the pure AMG cars in the US they'd be thrilled not to have to dabble in anything with a five figure starting price. Their heart's just not in it. The C is a bread and butter car that sells huge volume and keeps the lights on, but it's not their best work.

If you want a "real", no compromise MB experience, that shows you what the brand is capable of when price isn't the primary focus, spend $40k or so on a nice CPO W221 S Class. Those cars are so nice to drive (or be driven in) it borders on over-kill. ( I don't miss my W221. The C is so much more modern and fun. Except on the interstate. Then I miss the S a little bit.)

If you go into the C thinking Mercedes kissed a frog and turned it into a prince, you'll probably be disappointed. It's still a frog. If you go into it from the perspective of what C Class money buys you from other manufacturers I think the C holds its own.
What's interesting is that up until the mid-90s or so, Mercedes pretty much did only build cars in that price range. The W124 retailed for somewhere above 75k in 1980s dollars, I believe. Not coincidentally, those are the cars that made Mercedes is still basing its reputation off of. I don't know if this analogy means much to anyone here, but new reviews that inevitably compare the latest E or C to the W124 or W201 remind me of how each new Rolling Stones album gets compared to Exile on Main Street--their last truly, quintessentially, legendarily great pure Stones album, which came out 44 years ago. Not that later ones weren't good. But they never did that again. Same with Mercedes in its non-S level cars, I think.

The C is the best C Mercedes has ever made, I think. It's possibly the best car in its segment from what I can tell, and certainly the best for people who want luxury with sport rather than sport with luxury. I've been waiting to get a new car until I move for work later this year. I've looked at a lot of different cars, but I always come back to the C. Right now, the only thing making me think twice is the fact that the 15 year old in me always wanted a 3 series, and this coming year is the last year before they get built in Mexico for the US. If it weren't for the fact that BMW motors don't seem dependable even within the first 50k miles, it might be a harder choice. But even with the teething issues, Mercedes seems to just build higher quality products than its European competitors.
Old 07-25-2016 | 03:07 PM

prius. :(
I've rented Maximas, Mazdas, Lexus, etc. Last rental I had was a Buick Regal, decked out. 300 HP. They go for around 37k fully loaded.

It was like driving a tub of water.

C has the best interior of all of the cars. No question. Only thing that comes even close is the Cadillac. If I were gonna go cheap then Mazda has the best interior.

Still going with a C or E Class ASAP even though the pre 2017 E Class has a tacky and dated interior.

Last edited by Sheepy; 07-25-2016 at 03:15 PM.
Old 07-26-2016 | 02:37 AM

Benz
Originally Posted by mcbc220
The C is the best C Mercedes has ever made, I think. It's possibly the best car in its segment from what I can tell, and certainly the best for people who want luxury with sport rather than sport with luxury. I've been waiting to get a new car until I move for work later this year. I've looked at a lot of different cars, but I always come back to the C. Right now, the only thing making me think twice is the fact that the 15 year old in me always wanted a 3 series, and this coming year is the last year before they get built in Mexico for the US. If it weren't for the fact that BMW motors don't seem dependable even within the first 50k miles, it might be a harder choice. But even with the teething issues, Mercedes seems to just build higher quality products than its European competitors.
I was pretty much in the same mindset as you. I loved BMW's for awhile and always wanted one. After getting my first job, it was time to reward myself with one. I went to BMW and checked out the 2016 328i xDrive with all the bells and whistles. The car felt nice and stiff with a very sporty feel to it. Although if you aren't use to BMW, it might feel a little harsh. The exterior styling seemed pretty dated, the change from LCI E90 to F30 wasn't really revolutionary and the LCI F30 had little changes(LED's etc but the suspension/internals are much better than pre LCI F30's). Overall the exterior seemed pretty average and normal.

BMW always had simple interiors and is driver-orientated. It looks nice in its own way but again but it felt bland and outdated. I was set out on buying the 328 but thought I might as well take a look at MB as well. I'm not a fan of Audi, besides the R8 and that's currently out of my budget lol. The MB looked even more gorgeous in person, it screamed luxury and elegance vs. the sporty looking 3 series. I've never owned a W204 but judging from seeing both in person, the W205 is definitely revolutionary. The lines were beautiful and the interior looked a class above the 3 series. The front looks really nice and aggressive with the Sports Package.

The drive wasn't as stiff and the steering feel wasn't as heavy(I prefer a more stiff setup) but the driving felt nice, not as sharp as the 3er though. Aside from that, the W205 does everything better than the F30 3er. The N20 328 engine should be faster than the C300 engine, so if speed is a huge factor than maybe N20 might be better. Something that might persuade your decision, as it did for me, is that the F30 is on its way out(MY18/MY19) and is due for a major facelift and the W205 actually just came out in 2015, so it'll look new for another 5+ years(I hope..lol). Plus the F30 is everywhere!

Can't go wrong with either choice IMO
Old 07-28-2016 | 11:45 PM

2015 C300 4matic
I definitely would buy another c-class. Anytime I drive or ride in a different car including a new Nissan, I think, man I can't wait to get back in my C300. It has a great balance of ride, handling and luxury. I've had my 15 c300 for over a year and 22,000 miles and not one problem. I do like the 328i too but the MB was a newer model and I love the interior.
Old 07-29-2016 | 11:06 AM

2016 C450 AMG Sport
I drove a long list of BMWs before getting a 2014 CLA 45 AMG. It was a great little car; lots of fun to drive but very tiny back seat for a vehicle with 4 doors. I loved the car and had planned on keeping it for a long time. After 18 months or so, I began to realize I was never going to use the car's attributes to their fullest. So I traded it in for a 2016 C450. A noticeable step up in luxury, bigger back seat and more comfortable ride. Additionally, it is nearly as quick as the CLA 45. So, yes I not only would purchase another M-B again, I have. (But that doesn't mean I won't look at other brands when/if I am ready to replace the C450...)
Old 07-29-2016 | 07:01 PM

2016 C300
Originally Posted by JBMCL
I was pretty much in the same mindset as you. I loved BMW's for awhile and always wanted one. After getting my first job, it was time to reward myself with one. I went to BMW and checked out the 2016 328i xDrive with all the bells and whistles. The car felt nice and stiff with a very sporty feel to it. Although if you aren't use to BMW, it might feel a little harsh. The exterior styling seemed pretty dated, the change from LCI E90 to F30 wasn't really revolutionary and the LCI F30 had little changes(LED's etc but the suspension/internals are much better than pre LCI F30's). Overall the exterior seemed pretty average and normal.

BMW always had simple interiors and is driver-orientated. It looks nice in its own way but again but it felt bland and outdated. I was set out on buying the 328 but thought I might as well take a look at MB as well. I'm not a fan of Audi, besides the R8 and that's currently out of my budget lol. The MB looked even more gorgeous in person, it screamed luxury and elegance vs. the sporty looking 3 series. I've never owned a W204 but judging from seeing both in person, the W205 is definitely revolutionary. The lines were beautiful and the interior looked a class above the 3 series. The front looks really nice and aggressive with the Sports Package.

The drive wasn't as stiff and the steering feel wasn't as heavy(I prefer a more stiff setup) but the driving felt nice, not as sharp as the 3er though. Aside from that, the W205 does everything better than the F30 3er. The N20 328 engine should be faster than the C300 engine, so if speed is a huge factor than maybe N20 might be better. Something that might persuade your decision, as it did for me, is that the F30 is on its way out(MY18/MY19) and is due for a major facelift and the W205 actually just came out in 2015, so it'll look new for another 5+ years(I hope..lol). Plus the F30 is everywhere!

Can't go wrong with either choice IMO
I just test drove the 328i, finally. Honestly, I wasn't impressed. Yeah, it could corner a little better than the Benz, and the transmission is a little sharper, but honestly, I didn't think it was that different. Certainly not the night and day difference that I thought there would be. I went back to the Mercedes dealership right after and test drove a Luxury model, to compare what I consider to be the nicest version of the C interior but with the cushiest ride. And like you said, everything else about the F30 is not as good as the Mercedes. The C300 interior is lightyears better. Little things like the switches or the turn signal stalk are better. The ride is far less bouncy. It handles much better than earlier generations of Benzes, and in 90% of the driving that people will actually do in either of these cars, the BMW's capabilities make no difference. And this is the luxury with the comfort suspension. Plus, for anyone who thinks they might want to keep their car longer than a lease—Mercedes' history of designing an engine that lasts longer than 50k without serious issues is much better.

So, for anyone trying to decide between those two cars--unless your main priority is canyon carving, you're missing virtually nothing by not getting the BMW, in my opinion.