C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Weird command screen failure

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-10-2016, 11:11 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
E450 4Matic
Weird command screen failure

Hey guys I hope someone can help me out. So first of all this is my 4th w205 C Class I have had (I lease them) and I love the car. I ordered this one almost fully loaded besides the big command screen with the GPS because I wanted to get the Cranberry Red Leather seats and of course the Burmester Sound System.

Well today I was driving and suddenly the screen did some really weird colors.. I looked at it and it started doing some crazy lines throughout the whole screen and suddenly the music shut completely off. So I tried to restart it and it didn't work. After a little while it restarted automatically and I tried to connect my phone via bluetooth. I couldn't even select bluetooth it didn't give me to option and when I tried to do it through "connect last played device" it shut off again. So I parked my car went in a store and just left it off for a little while. I came back and I still couldn't connect my phone neither was the radio working. About 5 hours later I tried it again and for some reason it started working again.

I actually captured what happened on video and I will have the link down below.

So my question is, did someone here had a similar issue to that?

Should I take it back to the dealership and ask them what happened? Because I am scared it will happen again.

I never had any issue like this before so maybe it was a one time thing but I will for sure keep an eye on it and see what happens next.

Thanks in advance and have a great day!!
Old 09-10-2016, 12:26 PM

Received 35 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
Happened to my Audio 20, ends up working for 10 seconds and dies. 10 day fix, first dealer fiddles about with it for a few days then decides to contact MB Germany for a software patch to be written, that fails so you eventually get a new unit fitted.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:42 PM

E450 4Matic
Thank you so much for the quick response. I will for sure keep an eye on it, since it's working right the second and it's the weekend anyways I will just wait for a little while and see if it happens again. I just can't explain myself how that even happened?

I never had any issues like this with a C class before and it worked totally fine the whole time so I don't understand why it just came out of nowhere....
Old 09-10-2016, 01:48 PM

When it fails you soon realise how many vehicle functions that you lose control of, A/C and vehicle settings, it soon becomes a pain.
Old 09-10-2016, 01:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Russian hackers looking for more emails from Hillary Clinton most likely...

Old 09-10-2016, 06:49 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C250 2016
Happened to me twice 6 months ago. I noticed in each failure, I had Bluetooth and changing my phone with a usb cable. The failure happened in the exact moment I unplugged the usb cable.

Since I stopped charging via USB, I haven't see that "white strips screen of the death".
Old 09-10-2016, 08:16 PM

E450 4Matic
@Abohunu thanks! That actually could have been the issue. I was charging my girlfriends and my phone maybe something got messed up while I was playing music on my phone via bluetooth. Well like I said I am gonna keep an eye on it I really hope it won't happen again or I gotta take it back to the dealership even tho I really don't wanna go without my baby for a while. Thanks a lot guys for the fast response and have a great day/night!!!

Marius Weber
Old 09-10-2016, 09:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C-300 4matic,Polar White, Black MB-tex,Premium 1,Burmester,partial LED,open pore black ash
Command Shutdown

Hi Marcus,
I think you should take the car back to the dealer and yes I've been dealing with a similar issue: While driving, command shuts down-no radio, no navigation, no phone,no CD. However,the screen does not show lines as you describe and I was not charging my phone. I can change the image on the screen from radio, to nav to phone but nothing responds to any commands. Then after parking the vehicle overnight or sometimes just for a few hours, the system will work. This started about one year ago. I've had the vehicle back to the dealer 5 times now with another appointment booked in a weeks time.
On the first visit I was told they can't fix what they can't see. So I drove the car straight to the dealership the next time it happened while it was happening. Many tests were done and a computer software update was installed. System was fine for a few weeks and then problem resurfaced. On the third visit I was promised a new command system which had to be ordered and was installed on my 4th visit. This was last summer(2015) & this issue did not occur again until this summer. So back to the dealer for the 5th time Aug 2016. This time the memory was erased and programs reinstalled. Problem resurfaced 3 weeks later.
I have tried several "fixes" that I found on this forum:
-turning engine off, waiting 1 minute and turning it back on
-turng engine off AND locking the car
-pressing the eject button on the CD and waiting 60 seconds
No success.
I believe outside temperature is a factor as the problem only occurs on very hot days. I have only 8400 km on the vehicle and only 4000 km since the replacement command system was installed.
Does anyone know of a solution to this problem? Thanks
Old 09-11-2016, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
A while ago my COMAND system lost all audio soon after starting the car. Shutting the car off would bring it back, but then it would mute itself again. Rebooting the system with the CD eject button did not help.

What I found was that as soon as Bluetooth connected with my iPhone, I lost the system audio. Everything was normal until it connected, then the audio was lost. I turned off my iPhone completely and the audio was fine. When I turned the phone back on it reconnected, everything was normal and this never happened again. I had my dealer check it out, but no codes were thrown and no updates were available.

Some COMAND issues are real electrical malfunctions, but in my case the iPhone connection was the culprit ... and it only happened that one time.
Old 12-07-2018, 11:41 PM

2015 Mercedes C300 4MATIC
Sorry mods about reviving an old thread, but I couldn’t find any where else with this issue.

Did anyone here manage to fix this? I’m guessing the solution above didn’t fully work because mine got progressively worse. Had it happen and then didn’t have again for many months. Now it happens every time I turn on my car. Takes about 30-45 seconds for the screen lines to start appearing. Then I have no choice but to hold the power button to reset it. Any ideas?
Old 12-08-2018, 06:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C220 4-matic 2022 estate
Originally Posted by TheeNando
Sorry mods about reviving an old thread, but I couldn’t find any where else with this issue.

Did anyone here manage to fix this? I’m guessing the solution above didn’t fully work because mine got progressively worse. Had it happen and then didn’t have again for many months. Now it happens every time I turn on my car. Takes about 30-45 seconds for the screen lines to start appearing. Then I have no choice but to hold the power button to reset it. Any ideas?
Same problem on my -15 it happend allways when the gps was on route about every 10-15 minutes, had it in dealer 3 times before i met a workshop guy who know what i talked about, he found a bullitin from Mercedes and did a software update. The othertimes the car was in they did a software reload but that didn't solve the issue, i think there is several softwares, just need the right One.

Old 12-10-2018, 05:14 PM

2015 Mercedes C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Orrby
Same problem on my -15 it happend allways when the gps was on route about every 10-15 minutes, had it in dealer 3 times before i met a workshop guy who know what i talked about, he found a bullitin from Mercedes and did a software update. The othertimes the car was in they did a software reload but that didn't solve the issue, i think there is several softwares, just need the right One.
So I think I fixed it. White lines of death would come up every time I stated the car, around 30seconds in. It would require me to hold the power button to reboot the system. I had to repeat this reboot at least 2 times until the radio would stay on. So admittedly this was happening ALOT. I can’t believe I didn’t think of it before but I removed my navigation SD that I knew had already malfunctioned a long time ago. Basically my nav was graphically glitchy with the SD card inserted. I removed it a few days ago and I haven’t had the white lines of death so far. This means I don’t have nav anymore but I don’t really care since I just used google maps anyway.

Hope this helps someone else!

Note: the SD NAV card I bought was the one from Amazon. Lots of reviews so I trusted it. Only lasted a few months.
Old 03-06-2019, 09:21 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
C300 AMG Package
Command Screen Image Shrunk

I have a different issue. My command screen image is shrunk and appears to have changed resolution. I have a 2017 MB C300 AMG package which comes with the larger screen in the middle and I noticed yesterday that the image no longer displays on the entire screen but it is pulled to the left upper corner instead. So everything appears to be smaller now and I cannot find any way to reset that. I recently bought the Garmin Pilot SD card online and I plugged it in to activate my navigation. Something happened to where the screen is now shrunk but navigation works. I unplugged the sd card to try to reset thing but it is still showing the same smaller image with or without the card.
Has anyone had that kind of issue or do you know how to reset the system to factory defaults?
I tied uploading an image here but it is getting stuck at 90%...weird.

Thank you!
Old 03-06-2019, 12:21 PM

I thought that the Garmin SD Card nav system was only applicable for cars with Audio 20, i.e. the smaller screen and Comand had its own built in hard drive set up updated by the dealer.
The following users liked this post:
cyberghost00700 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-06-2019, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Not wierd - recent weeks updated COMAND and Audio 20 software has started "reactions" with bootleg cards.

Pull your card - see if system reboots to "normal"
The following users liked this post:
cyberghost00700 (03-11-2019)
Old 03-11-2019, 05:46 PM

C300 AMG Package
When I bought the car they tried to sell me the SD card to activate my navigation...it was $600 and I decided not to bother...I was supposed to have Android Auto so I was hoping to use my Google maps with it. Turned out the sales guy "Thought so" but was wrong - no Android Auto. Also the guy that sold me the card said he worked at a MB dealership...Idk at this point but I may have to take it in because the screen is stuck at the reduced size...
I appreciate the input.
Old 03-11-2019, 05:49 PM

C300 AMG Package
Thanks for your input. I tried and pulled it out...even held down the power button for 20 sec...it reboots with the same issue, no change. I need to take it to the dealership at this point to locate the issue.
Old 05-25-2021, 07:18 PM

mercedes c class
Originally Posted by TheeNando

So I think I fixed it. White lines of death would come up every time I stated the car, around 30seconds in. It would require me to hold the power button to reboot the system. I had to repeat this reboot at least 2 times until the radio would stay on. So admittedly this was happening ALOT. I can’t believe I didn’t think of it before but I removed my navigation SD that I knew had already malfunctioned a long time ago. Basically my nav was graphically glitchy with the SD card inserted. I removed it a few days ago and I haven’t had the white lines of death so far. This means I don’t have nav anymore but I don’t really care since I just used google maps anyway.

Hope this helps someone else!

Note: the SD NAV card I bought was the one from Amazon. Lots of reviews so I trusted it. Only lasted a few months.

hi mine has done the same as yours when removed the Sd card do I neeed to buy a new sd card I got mine from eBay