C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Replacing items on my car

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-27-2016, 04:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300
Replacing items on my car

Hello all, newbie here. My wife gifted me my first MB last year. Driving a Polar white C300 w/Sports and Premium Packages, and pano roof. Love the car so far despite some earlier issues that the MB service has been able to take care of.

Coming to the subject of this thread, I'm looking into replacing some items on my car. I'm not unhappy with what I have, just thought if its an easy (not so costly, not much effort) switch, why the heck not?

I've noted a thread where a user has replaced the Halogen lamps with LEDs. My car does have the LED headlights, however only with one LED head. I've noticed that the AMG model has the LED headlights with two heads. My question is, is it possible to switch the one headed lamps out for the two headed ones?

By the way, I must say, as soon as I saw those headlights, I was sold. I went in for an E series but came out with the C series just because of them!

Also, my car came with the 7" screen. Is it possible to switch this out with the larger (COMAND) screen? I'm not looking to gain the functionality that comes with COMAND, only the larger screen.

Appreciate in advance any input or direction anyone might have!

T
Old 12-27-2016, 06:21 PM

2023 GLC 300 SUV, 2006 BMW Z4M Roadster, 2006 Lexus RX400h
Congrats on the car and welcome!

Both have been discussed here, try search.

Last edited by schvamf; 12-27-2016 at 08:34 PM.
Old 12-27-2016, 06:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
From previous threads, I don't think either of those changes are easy or cheap.
Old 12-27-2016, 09:45 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
You can do all these things. Just a matter of money and finding an installer.
Old 12-27-2016, 10:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
The headlamp exchange is difficult to do. Different wiring and programming. There are threads about installing larger screens. Not exactly cheap.
Old 12-27-2016, 11:53 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Speaking of replacing parts, I am curious how easy it is to replace the wood trim on a C300 on the front right passenger side. I have a slight dent on the burmester grille that bugs me constantly (it's not major but you can see the dent when it's a little dark). I've found the OEM wood panel with the grille for about $160, which is really decent. I know how to take the door out by watching youtube videos, but I'm not sure how the wood panel pops out etc... Has anyone done something like this?
Old 12-28-2016, 12:12 AM

Received 41 Likes on 32 Posts
2014 C300
Someone used a surgical dental pick to pop out a dent in their speaker.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:26 AM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
2016 C300 4MATIC
Originally Posted by DapperStyle
Someone used a surgical dental pick to pop out a dent in their speaker.
Yup! That was me, I posted it here

Of course it is SO much better than with the large dent, but I later noticed that its still not as perfect as it was due to the dent leaving slight indentations on some of the holes that make it so when the light shines at it at a certain angle you can see a very small outline of where it was dented. In the morning or night time you cannot see anything wrong, but sometimes if there is a little bit of light shining at the speaker you can see it...

When I think of it, I really shouldn't care that much but I have always been a little OCD about my things. People I've showed it to tend to make fun and laugh about it because it's so minor, but I was just asking out of curiousity. Btw I've found that if I wax the grille (making sure not to get any wax inside the grille) the marks become very hard to see.
Old 12-28-2016, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 268 Likes on 183 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic traded in for a 2022 E450 Coupe
Originally Posted by alyshehata
Yup! That was me, I posted it here

Of course it is SO much better than with the large dent, but I later noticed that its still not as perfect as it was due to the dent leaving slight indentations on some of the holes that make it so when the light shines at it at a certain angle you can see a very small outline of where it was dented. In the morning or night time you cannot see anything wrong, but sometimes if there is a little bit of light shining at the speaker you can see it...

When I think of it, I really shouldn't care that much but I have always been a little OCD about my things. People I've showed it to tend to make fun and laugh about it because it's so minor, but I was just asking out of curiousity. Btw I've found that if I wax the grille (making sure not to get any wax inside the grille) the marks become very hard to see.

Wax the grille? Oh my
Old 12-28-2016, 09:17 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Remove the door panel and work the dent out from the back side. The grilles are very pliable (which is why they dent so easily). The shop that did my audio system dented both grilles pretty deeply and the dents came right out.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:37 AM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
2015 C400
Good info to know...thanks. My drivers side grill is pushed into the panel, and the grill has a dent.

Originally Posted by Mike5215
Remove the door panel and work the dent out from the back side. The grilles are very pliable (which is why they dent so easily). The shop that did my audio system dented both grilles pretty deeply and the dents came right out.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:09 AM

2015 C300
Thank you for all the replies. I thought I ran a good search for these items, but I'll go ahead and search for them again.
Old 12-28-2016, 11:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Short version, the headlamps are major surgery. I think the guy actually titled the thread "after eye surgery" or something like that. Should be the only thread with "eye surgery" in the title. He had some success but not an easy DIY process.

The screen is less of an ordeal but even with the bigger screen the image is still the small size it was on the little screen, just a lot more black around it. You'd need an actual COMAND unit to get the full benefit. Then it needs to be coded to the car by a dealer.

I'd put the money elsewhere. Audio upgrade, aftermarket wheels, non run flat tires, etc.
Old 12-28-2016, 12:52 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by Mike5215
Short version, the headlamps are major surgery. I think the guy actually titled the thread "after eye surgery" or something like that. Should be the only thread with "eye surgery" in the title. He had some success but not an easy DIY process.
I believe this is the thread you are talking about. That guy switched halogens for LEDs. The OP is asking about switching LEDs for the active LEDs. I'm curious about the answer to that one as well (didn't want to pay an extra $3200 for P4 on my C43 sedan when all I really wanted in that package was the active LEDs). Since it's an LED to LED switch, maybe there's a chance it's a simple part swap and dealer coding. Sounds like no one has tried, though.
Old 12-28-2016, 02:37 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by MDSkiBum
I believe this is the thread you are talking about. That guy switched halogens for LEDs. The OP is asking about switching LEDs for the active LEDs. I'm curious about the answer to that one as well (didn't want to pay an extra $3200 for P4 on my C43 sedan when all I really wanted in that package was the active LEDs). Since it's an LED to LED switch, maybe there's a chance it's a simple part swap and dealer coding. Sounds like no one has tried, though.
I can't speak with absolute certainty, but I doubt it's a simple swap for at least these reasons: 1. the wiring is different. 2. it's controlled by software, so unless the software is updated, the coding would not help because the "brain" does not know how to control these things. It'd be like cutting off an arm and replace it with a wheel and ask your brain to control it. Your brain won't know how to.

Number 1. alone would stop any dealer from doing it. No dealer will agree to modify the existing wiring. And if there's no dealer involved, there's no chance for upgrading the software.

My wife's car has active LED and they look awesome. At night, it lits up the whole street. But the static LED aren't bad looking themselves. Many guys with halogen lights would kill for those. I know I'm one of them :-)
Old 12-28-2016, 02:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 159 Likes on 150 Posts
2016 GLC300 Dakota Brown on Espresso Brown Leather, 2014 C250 Sport Diamond Silver
Agree, active LEDs are awesome. I wish my C class had them.
Old 12-28-2016, 05:15 PM

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
Originally Posted by huyuci
I can't speak with absolute certainty, but I doubt it's a simple swap for at least these reasons: 1. the wiring is different. 2. it's controlled by software, so unless the software is updated, the coding would not help because the "brain" does not know how to control these things.
Ah, pardon my ignorance on the subject. I knew the wiring was different between the halogens and either type of LED. I was thinking maybe the wiring for non-active and active LEDs was the same. But, if not then that would certainly make this an extremely difficult task at best.

Oh well... Agreed that the static LEDs aren't bad and they will work for me. Thanks for the info!
Old 12-28-2016, 05:30 PM

Received 44 Likes on 32 Posts
c300
Originally Posted by MDSkiBum
Ah, pardon my ignorance on the subject. I knew the wiring was different between the halogens and either type of LED. I was thinking maybe the wiring for non-active and active LEDs was the same. But, if not then that would certainly make this an extremely difficult task at best.

Oh well... Agreed that the static LEDs aren't bad and they will work for me. Thanks for the info!
I won't have to compare the 2 plugs to find out the difference because in the static LED, only 1 LED projector (low beam) is on and it doesn't move. The other is the static high beam, which is only on when you manually turn it on. In ILS LED, both projectors are on and they move around. Therefore, the wiring must be different for that.
Old 12-28-2016, 07:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2014 CLA250, 2017 C43 Sedan(Arriving in March/April)
I believe the dual projector LED headlight is a part of the intelligent LED system and requires the camera in the sensor housing at the top of your windshield to be functional.
Old 12-28-2016, 10:02 PM

2015 C300
Correct, I was looking to replace LED with what I guess is active LEDs. I wasn't aware they were active. If the active LED headlight requires intelligence, that's a deal breaker right there. I'm sure that's difficult or impossible to install.

And yes, I love the LED headlights. That's what I fell in love with before I even stepped into the car. Then I fell in love with the interior.

Thanks for all the input!