C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C400 Back from Dinan...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-26-2017, 05:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450 amg
Originally Posted by RTC450
Haahahhahaahha i was thinking the same 😂😂😂
ahhahaahaa just incredible your amazing by any chance you work in CNN hahahaha just kidding....we love you
Old 03-26-2017, 05:40 PM
Former Member

Received 94 Likes on 89 Posts
CLS
Haaaa, haaaaa, how'd you know. Haaaa, haaaa.

Do you think that motor can take that increase in power/combustion on a continuous basis for several years?

Well, are you feeling lucky?

Haaaa, haaaaaaaaa! Kaboom! Haaaaa, haaaaa!

Last edited by removedCFGaccount; 03-26-2017 at 05:43 PM.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:46 PM

Received 46 Likes on 42 Posts
2015 C400
Have I mentioned...? "Looking forward to some other data points here...40hp increase at the wheels should be noticeable."

I just looked at the first post...noticed the base run show 310hp. If the car is stock at 329hp, that's only a 5% parasitic loss thru the drivetrain? Seems a bit low on the loss...unless my math is wrong.

I guess either way, it's a 40hp delta.

I have an old school Gtech meter, so could do some 0-60 baseline and Dinan runs when the time comes.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by RTC450
Planing to be in race mode all the time!!!
I wouldn't do this unless you are running 93 octane all the time. Out here on the West Coast 93 octane is pretty scarce.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:48 PM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by Mr. J
I wouldn't do this unless you are running 93 octane all the time. Out here on the West Coast 93 octane is pretty scarce.
Let him do it, he's been running tunes for twenty years.
Old 03-26-2017, 05:52 PM

2015 C400
For the "undisclosed price", if I didn't feel the power and the interface sucked, the unit would be returned. What are ya paying for...more horsepower, right?
Old 03-26-2017, 05:56 PM
Former Member

CLS
What? I don't doubt, objectively, there is more power, and have opined only that subjectively it "feels" mild at best.

I have at least two reasons to hang on to it: to induce Dinan to make a full tune, and to avoid the inconvenience of dealing with a return. At my age, convenience is everything and $300 is chump change.
Old 03-26-2017, 07:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C450 amg
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Here in Florida we have 93 everywhere and in a couple of gas station they have E85 too.
We have a few real good sport car clubs with a lots different events thru the year that included ,drag racing , private circuit in race course and autocross
Old 03-27-2017, 07:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 96 Likes on 87 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by CFG

Haaaaa, haaaaa: I never stated or implied I didn't "like" it.
In this post of yours, it certainly sounds like you hated the Dinan piggy-back...

"Just drove about 30 city and highway miles, so here are my SUBJECTIVE opinions:

1. On the Butt Dyno, overall, I'd give it one butt since it's easy to install;

2. The app is worse than crap, in fact it is pure Dee, unadulterated ****e, and disconnects randomly, and often; a huge thumbs down, or sore butt;

3. The app showed boost pressure increases, but I felt nothing new in any mode, either Mercedes or Dinan, so thumbs down or a sore butt;

4. The Mercedes computer showed very slight mileage increases in all modes, even with zero indicated boost, so either it confused the computer or it does increase efficiency, but who knows, so I'll give it a horizontal thumb, or a neutral butt; and,

5. In any Mercedes S+ or Dinan mode, including zero boost, the crackle is largely gone, thus a thumbs down and a VERY sore butt.

Overall subjective score: a very chapped ***.

Subjectively, this is hardly a ringing endorsement, and I reckon it is a sore butt!

I still haven't received my Dinan unit, but I'm on the fence if I want to install it or return it/sell it.

Last edited by MASSC450; 03-27-2017 at 07:57 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:06 AM
Former Member

CLS
I was trying to use humor, and obviously failed. My bad.

The first opinion was one butt on a butt dyno, intended to signify a mild, subjective increase in power. I should have defined the scale. I agree that the third opinion confuses this and don't remember why I stated it this way. All I can say is that I used the term "overall."

Also, I was still waiting on phone support and a bit pissed, which the crap app aggravated. So, I did then have a chapped ***.

These were my preliminary opinions, which I modified over time. I do now believe it does exactly what Dinan states and implies, and is a good value even if the app is terrible.

Sum: as several have cast doubt on the weight of my subjective opinions, I suggest you try it out since it is easy to install, and if too mild for you, return it. I'll likely keep mine, as stated, to hopefully show Dinan a full tune market exists and because I just can't be bothered with the trouble of a return.

All I can say is that I tried to use more precise language to describe the effect of the device as I got more experience with it. But, the flakey results of the app, especially boost, remain with my IPhone 7.

Finally, I now have about 80%, more or less, crackle.

"Overall," at this point in time and subject to further use, I'd have to say I'm ambivalent about it, and hopeful it results in a full Dinan tune.

Last edited by removedCFGaccount; 03-27-2017 at 08:32 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:33 AM
Former Member

CLS
If you need help finding the sensor, don't guess! Come back here for help or try Dinan.

Also, and this is very subjective, I do have an analogy. If you remember the first overclocking devices for 8088 based computers, which doubled the clock speed as I recall, that's what you will feel. Some operations feel more "brisk" and others stay the same, subjectively.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.

Sorry for the prolixity....

Last edited by removedCFGaccount; 03-27-2017 at 08:50 AM.
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by CFG

Also, if you need help finding the sensor, don't guess! Come back here for help or try Dinan.

Also, and this is very subjective, I do have an analogy. If you remember the first overclocking devices for 8088 based computers, which doubled the clock speed as I recall, that's what you will feel. Some operations feel more brisk" and others stay the same, subjectively.

Sorry, that's the best I can do.
Thank you, and thanks for clarifying your review of the Dinan piggy-back.

Since I have not received my Dinan unit yet, can I ask you what the return policy notice states...as in can it be returned if installed, or returned at all even if it hasn't been used?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
Originally Posted by CFG
Regarding the chip, I don't think there is anything to fix: it does what it was intended to do, and provides mild, hopefully safe performance increases(subjectively, as I have no objective measuring equipment), at a low price. It is very easy to install once you locate the sensor which is not clearly depicted in Dinan's material.

Regarding the app, well, for me and apparently the majority who posted reviews in the Apple App Store, it is flakey, and not commensurate with the external quality of the chip/device or the firmware. How do you fix a crap app?

It really is a quality device (hardware), and as Dinan's stated goal is to test the market for a full blown tune, I think it is a pretty good start, and a good, but not great foundation.

Again, this caveat: these are the mere opinions of a guy in his dotage....

seems like a fair assessment CFG: I have never been a fan of the app either, its more of a "trinket" for me, the boost gauge bounces around a bit and who knows is Bluetooth operated how accurate it really is, BUT for $300 its a quick easy bump in performance and does what they claim. There aren't a lot of options for our cars in terms of piggy backs to begin with, and even fewer with the price point this falls in so overall im happy with it. Should they offer a full "warranted: piggy back unit like their higher end BMW units, I would vote yes but that for them to determine if the market is big enough to support the development around such a unit.
I like my sport and was happy with the minimal investment.
I would be if there is someone in the bay area , hit them up and they might be willing to dyno your car and post those results. It is Dinan were talking about here, not a fly by night who wants to "hide stuff". In my opinion only the app itself needs an overhaul since it could be much better.
Old 03-27-2017, 09:09 AM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by MASSC450
Thank you, and thanks for clarifying your review of the Dinan piggy-back.

Since I have not received my Dinan unit yet, can I ask you what the return policy notice states...as in can it be returned if installed, or returned at all even if it hasn't been used?
https://www.dinancars.com/product/d4...?series=&mid=/

This usually means you must be personally satisfied, in the exercise of good faith...I'd call em....
Old 03-27-2017, 06:51 PM

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
CL500
Originally Posted by Big Goober
I agree. Not interested in a piggy back. I'm waiting to see a full time although I may not wait that long unless Dinan can move quickly.
just to be clear a "full warranted tune" from Dinan will still be a "piggy back" like sport , only with more " stuff " inside looking at other aspects of the engine , goingvto morecsensors perhaps etc . It's not going to be a "flash tune" it would be a piggy back style solution
Old 03-27-2017, 07:05 PM
Former Member

CLS
I'm for it. Money waiting....
Old 03-27-2017, 07:59 PM

2015 C400
CFG - did you ever get a call back from Dinan or Golan or whoever it was you called?
Old 03-27-2017, 08:48 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
2016 C450
Yes CFG - Dinan, from my previous experiences have been good with customer service...did they call you back and address your issues?
Old 03-27-2017, 09:02 PM
Former Member

CLS
I haven't the foggiest. After several hours, I figured out the flakey app and went for my test drive.

Addendum: more accurately, I figured out the app with iOS is flakey.

Last edited by removedCFGaccount; 03-27-2017 at 09:07 PM.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:40 AM

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts
2017 GLC43
just installed the dinan unit and it's awesome.

Got it done in like 10 minutes with no tools. Immediate improvement in response and power. Clearly doing what it's supposed to be.

The app is kind of glitchy and annoying, but that doesn't really matter to me. I set it to race mode and i have no reason to ever open the app again.

I'll take the car to raceway park soon to verify gains, but based upon feel I expect a good 4-5 tenths. Worth every penny.
Old 03-28-2017, 07:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C450 AMG
Originally Posted by thatkidfromjrsy

Got it done in like 10 minutes with no tools. Immediate improvement in response and power. Clearly doing what it's supposed to be.

The app is kind of glitchy and annoying, but that doesn't really matter to me. I set it to race mode and i have no reason to ever open the app again.
Good to read a positive review on the Dinan piggy-back! I'm glad you like it.

If I decide to keep my Dinan unit (if it ever shows up to my house), I will just set it to S+ and leave it there since 93 octane in Mass is readily available.
Old 03-28-2017, 08:35 AM
Former Member

CLS

I'll take the car to raceway park soon to verify gains, but based upon feel I expect a good 4-5 tenths. Worth every penny.
I hope you get those times! I'm rooting for you.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:48 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S

thatkid, what is your experience with the exhaust crackle after installing the dinan unit? there seems to be varying feedback on that. some saying it greatly reduced/eliminated the crackle, some saying reduced the sound/occurrence by ~20% and some saying it augmented it.

besides that, it seems the general feedback is that the increased performance is noticeable while driving and that the app sucks (ios and android or maybe just ios). however, i would think the app should be able to be easily updated so as long as the device hardware is solid that's all that matters.
Old 03-28-2017, 09:57 AM
Former Member

CLS
Originally Posted by jherm
thatkid, what is your experience with the exhaust crackle after installing the dinan unit? there seems to be varying feedback on that. some saying it greatly reduced/eliminated the crackle, some saying reduced the sound/occurrence by ~20% and some saying it augmented it.

besides that, it seems the general feedback is that the increased performance is noticeable while driving and that the app sucks (ios and android or maybe just ios). however, i would think the app should be able to be easily updated so as long as the device hardware is solid that's all that matters.
I can't account for my experience. Maybe I didn't succeed in turning it on, at first, but as I recall it ships in S+.

I'd say the crackle is almost back to what I recall.

It is clearly a high quality device and if the objective data supports about 40 hp, a real bargain.
Old 03-28-2017, 10:06 AM

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts
C63S
Originally Posted by CFG
I can't account for my experience. Maybe I didn't succeed in turning it on, at first, but as I recall it ships in S+.

I'd say the crackle is almost back to what I recall.

It is clearly a high quality device and if the objective data supports about 40 hp, a real bargain.
Interesting, it seems you've done a 180 on your opinion of the unit since I first saw you provide feedback. I haven't seen every post you've made on the topic; it sounds like perhaps your original install wasn't done correctly and that's what that initial feedback was based on? But you figured that out and are now impressed with the "butt dyno" results as compared to stock?

At the end of the day, the exhaust crackle was one of the car's selling points for me so I'm trying to gauge people's post-install crackle experience to evaluate if losing/lessening that is worth (reportedly) 10% more HP.
The following users liked this post:
YoungLane (04-18-2017)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.