C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

DIY: Upgrading/replacing your W205 steering wheel/airbag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-07-2018, 05:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes W176 , Mercedes W205
Is the airbag from the amg line and c63/s interchangeable?
Old 09-17-2018, 05:17 AM

C Class Coupe 250D
Name of the diagose tool?

Originally Posted by RUNSGR8
Quick tip for anyone who might accidentally trip the SRS alert while doing the swap. I was getting the "Front Left Airbag Malfunction. Service Required" error because I connected the car's battery while the airbag was disconnected while doing the swap. The only way to reset this error code is either by going to a dealer ($$$$) or by going to an indie German car mechanic.

Took the latter route and got the error code verified/reset for $30. Dealer quoted $180 for the quick 2 minute job. Don't run to the dealer unless you think there might be a bigger problem or you sleep on a lumpy mattress filled with cash and want to get rid of some of those cash lumps.
Hello,
Thanks for your thread. it's helpful.
And I have the same issue here. Exactly the same as you had. Do you remember what tool or did the indie mechanic to remove the code?
Thanks.
Old 09-17-2018, 05:25 AM

C Class Coupe 250D
Had no issue? I've done it and got 'Front Left malfunction Consult Workshop SRS warning.
If you got it resolved, please give me some tips!
Old 09-18-2018, 02:05 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Black W205 Base 4Matic, Premium 2 Package
Exclamation PDF FOR STEERING WHEEL TORQUE SPECS

This is directly from the Mercedes WIS database,
Attached Files
File Type: pdf

Last edited by Nate0525; 09-18-2018 at 02:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
△BenzBoy△ (01-04-2021)
Old 01-01-2019, 08:49 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2015 C63 AMG sedan
Got the wheel off eBay. The wheel was originally from another W205 platform car, so I didn't have to swap the contact plate over. Everything worked out of the box.
where exactly are these dimples on the C63 w205 to remove the air bag?
Old 09-25-2019, 12:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C200
Originally Posted by changch
Had no issue? I've done it and got 'Front Left malfunction Consult Workshop SRS warning.
If you got it resolved, please give me some tips!
did you disconnect the battery? I’m planning on doing this and seeking for some help!
The following users liked this post:
△BenzBoy△ (01-04-2021)
Old 01-04-2021, 01:39 AM

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 C300 Coupe
Just in case anyone does this and gets the SRS warning message, I bought the Autel ML629 off of Amazon and I was able to clear the code(s) no problem. The codes it will most likely throw if you do this steering wheel swap are B000113 and B000213 both of which refer to an open circuit detected. I didn't disconnect the battery when I did the swap (I'm stupid) so it gave me those codes but I have heard of it still showing in some cases even with the battery disconnected. Regardless this scanner definitely works to clear the code(s). Very happy and thankful for this write up, I purchased both the sport "AMG" flat bottom steering wheel and airbag off of eBay and both worked perfectly and I am very happy to have the round steering wheel gone.
Old 08-14-2023, 09:05 AM

Mercedes A class
Just finished a swap between my non-sport, round steering wheel to a new C63S sport wheel. I own a 2017 C300 coupe but the procedure is the same for the C300 sedan as well. Figured I'd do a quick write up since I took lots of pictures of the process. As always, do all of this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage/issues you have with your car from following this DIY.

Here's my old wheel:

And here's the new wheel:

Make sure you park your car straight with the steering wheel straight.

Step 1: Acquire tools
You'll need a breaker bar (I used a 18" breaker bar with a 3/8" drive from Home Depot), a metal pipe for more leverage (I used a 24" pipe), a 10mm hex nut (I used one with a 3/8" drive), and a 6in drive extension (3/8" male to female).

You'll also need a T20 screwdriver. Just get the thick ones that have a bunch of different torx key sizes. It's a handy tool to have.

Step 2: Disconnect battery

Pretty straightforward step. Pop the hood open and you'll find the battery cover to the back left of the car (while you're facing it from the front). Twist the two release clips and lift the cover up. There will be another cover covering the actual battery. Just pull it up gently and you'll hear it release its clips and come upwards. The overall battery should now be revealed.

Use a 10mm socket to unscrew the negative battery terminal and place the released wire far away from the actual battery terminal.

Step 3: Remove driver airbag

Insert a skinny flathead screwdriver into the two dimples on the side of your current steering wheel. Push in gently towards the Mercedes logo on the front of the wheel and you should feel a springy resistance. The airbag should pop out on the side of the steering wheel you just inserted the screwdriver into. Repeat on the other side.

Gently pull the airbag outwards and up. You'll see a yellow connector going from the airbag to the steering wheel. Use some needlenose pliers to pinch the clips on the top and bottom of the yellow connector and gently pull the connector out. Put your old airbag in a safe, empty space, facing upwards.

This is how your wheel will look:

Follow the same procedure for removing the brown steering wheel connector to the left.

Step 4: Break the center bolt loose

This step WILL take a lot of effort/muscle. It's best if you have an extra helping hand to hold the steering wheel straight while attempting this. Insert the 10mm hex bit into the steering wheel center bolt. Then attach the 6" extension bar and hook that onto the breaker bar. Next, put about 6" of the breaker bar into the metal pipe. Position the metal pipe at the 9'o clock position so you unscrew the nut and not tighten it. Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Now hold the steering wheel straight with one hand (or have a helper do this for you) and then apply pressure on the metal pipe. It can take multiple times and a LOT of pressure to get the bolt free. You'll feel it knock loose once you get it right. Once it's free, remove the pipe and use the breaker bar to unscrew the rest of the bolt.

The bolt has some blue loctite applied on it, which is why it's so hard to break loose.

Step 5: Remove old steering wheel, insert new steering wheel

Pull your old steering wheel straight out. Now insert your new steering wheel straight in and align the little tick marks on the new wheel with the marks on the steering column.

Reinsert the center bolt by hand and screw it in. Use the breaker bar to hand tighten it as much as you humanly can. No need to use herculean force for this step.

Step 6: Reattach connectors, replace airbag, fire up the car

Plug in the brown steering wheel connector first. Then insert the yellow airbag connector. Then put the airbag straight into the wheel and firmly press in the middle. It should snap into place with a click.

NOTE: If you're upgrading from a non-sport (round) steering wheel to a sport/AMG (flat bottom) steering wheel, make sure you obtain a new sport/AMG airbag. The two airbags between these different styled steering wheels are NOT interchangeable:

^Round steering wheel airbag is not compatible with a flat-bottom steering wheel (and vice versa).

Once you've double checked that everything is in place, go ahead and reconnect the car's battery. Then start the car and check to make sure everything works, especially the horn and the steering wheel buttons.

If your buttons/horn don't work, it means that you need to swap your old steering wheel's contact plate into your new steering wheel. Someone else has already posted a guide on how to do this on a CLS. The steps and procedure are the same:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ease-help.html

Here's some more after shots:

Thanks for the overview, I just ordered the AMG steering wheel to replace my standard wheel. Got it at a decent price but didn't realise my original airbag wouldn't fit the sport version.

Thankfully managed to cancel and now I can try and source the two together. Would've had to pay double just for the airbag.
Old 08-18-2023, 04:33 PM
SPONSOR

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
We offer great pricing on custom steering wheels, you can choose the design and we will build it for you.
If you are in the Chicago/Milwaukee area we can also offer installation services.

Attached are some recent examples of steering wheels for clients.
As you can see, we offer some great options where you can maintain your current airbag. This saves quite a bit of money and allows for an easier installation.

Please email us for info using the details at the bottom of this post if interested.

Old 08-19-2023, 05:18 PM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
Originally Posted by Elemento Tuning
We offer great pricing on custom steering wheels, you can choose the design and we will build it for you.
If you are in the Chicago/Milwaukee area we can also offer installation services.

Attached are some recent examples of steering wheels for clients.
As you can see, we offer some great options where you can maintain your current airbag. This saves quite a bit of money and allows for an easier installation.

Please email us for info using the details at the bottom of this post if interested.

your website doesnt work fiy
Old 08-22-2023, 11:06 AM
SPONSOR

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Originally Posted by lthlc63
your website doesnt work fiy
What error are you getting? It appears to be working on our end...
Old 11-06-2023, 07:10 AM
ta1

mercedes c200k w203, and 200D
Thanks for giving hope that I can undo the steering hex bolt. For anyone else who does this, please ensure that you push in the orange pins fully as this caused an SRS fault and another headache
Old 01-31-2024, 12:36 AM

CLA45
Replacing Buttons

Just finished a swap between my non-sport, round steering wheel to a new C63S sport wheel. I own a 2017 C300 coupe but the procedure is the same for the C300 sedan as well. Figured I'd do a quick write up since I took lots of pictures of the process. As always, do all of this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage/issues you have with your car from following this DIY.

Here's my old wheel:

And here's the new wheel:

Make sure you park your car straight with the steering wheel straight.

Step 1: Acquire tools
You'll need a breaker bar (I used a 18" breaker bar with a 3/8" drive from Home Depot), a metal pipe for more leverage (I used a 24" pipe), a 10mm hex nut (I used one with a 3/8" drive), and a 6in drive extension (3/8" male to female).

You'll also need a T20 screwdriver. Just get the thick ones that have a bunch of different torx key sizes. It's a handy tool to have.

Step 2: Disconnect battery

Pretty straightforward step. Pop the hood open and you'll find the battery cover to the back left of the car (while you're facing it from the front). Twist the two release clips and lift the cover up. There will be another cover covering the actual battery. Just pull it up gently and you'll hear it release its clips and come upwards. The overall battery should now be revealed.

Use a 10mm socket to unscrew the negative battery terminal and place the released wire far away from the actual battery terminal.

Step 3: Remove driver airbag

Insert a skinny flathead screwdriver into the two dimples on the side of your current steering wheel. Push in gently towards the Mercedes logo on the front of the wheel and you should feel a springy resistance. The airbag should pop out on the side of the steering wheel you just inserted the screwdriver into. Repeat on the other side.

Gently pull the airbag outwards and up. You'll see a yellow connector going from the airbag to the steering wheel. Use some needlenose pliers to pinch the clips on the top and bottom of the yellow connector and gently pull the connector out. Put your old airbag in a safe, empty space, facing upwards.

This is how your wheel will look:

Follow the same procedure for removing the brown steering wheel connector to the left.

Step 4: Break the center bolt loose

This step WILL take a lot of effort/muscle. It's best if you have an extra helping hand to hold the steering wheel straight while attempting this. Insert the 10mm hex bit into the steering wheel center bolt. Then attach the 6" extension bar and hook that onto the breaker bar. Next, put about 6" of the breaker bar into the metal pipe. Position the metal pipe at the 9'o clock position so you unscrew the nut and not tighten it. Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Now hold the steering wheel straight with one hand (or have a helper do this for you) and then apply pressure on the metal pipe. It can take multiple times and a LOT of pressure to get the bolt free. You'll feel it knock loose once you get it right. Once it's free, remove the pipe and use the breaker bar to unscrew the rest of the bolt.

The bolt has some blue loctite applied on it, which is why it's so hard to break loose.

Step 5: Remove old steering wheel, insert new steering wheel

Pull your old steering wheel straight out. Now insert your new steering wheel straight in and align the little tick marks on the new wheel with the marks on the steering column.

Reinsert the center bolt by hand and screw it in. Use the breaker bar to hand tighten it as much as you humanly can. No need to use herculean force for this step.

Step 6: Reattach connectors, replace airbag, fire up the car

Plug in the brown steering wheel connector first. Then insert the yellow airbag connector. Then put the airbag straight into the wheel and firmly press in the middle. It should snap into place with a click.

NOTE: If you're upgrading from a non-sport (round) steering wheel to a sport/AMG (flat bottom) steering wheel, make sure you obtain a new sport/AMG airbag. The two airbags between these different styled steering wheels are NOT interchangeable:

^Round steering wheel airbag is not compatible with a flat-bottom steering wheel (and vice versa).

Once you've double checked that everything is in place, go ahead and reconnect the car's battery. Then start the car and check to make sure everything works, especially the horn and the steering wheel buttons.

If your buttons/horn don't work, it means that you need to swap your old steering wheel's contact plate into your new steering wheel. Someone else has already posted a guide on how to do this on a CLS. The steps and procedure are the same:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ease-help.html

Here's some more after shots:

Did you have to replace the bottons? If so how did you do it?
Old 02-01-2024, 06:34 PM

Received 116 Likes on 92 Posts
04 E55, 06 E55, 05 G55, 14 E63s, 12 cls63
Originally Posted by MikeStel
Did you have to replace the bottons? If so how did you do it?
there are small screws holding the buttons on the back of the trim