C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

DIY: Upgrading/replacing your W205 steering wheel/airbag

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-07-2017, 06:24 PM

Received 27 Likes on 16 Posts
2017 C300 Coupe - Polar White/Saddle Brown MBTex
DIY: Upgrading/replacing your W205 steering wheel/airbag

Just finished a swap between my non-sport, round steering wheel to a new C63S sport wheel. I own a 2017 C300 coupe but the procedure is the same for the C300 sedan as well. Figured I'd do a quick write up since I took lots of pictures of the process. As always, do all of this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage/issues you have with your car from following this DIY.

Here's my old wheel:

And here's the new wheel:

Make sure you park your car straight with the steering wheel straight.

Step 1: Acquire tools
You'll need a breaker bar (I used a 18" breaker bar with a 3/8" drive from Home Depot), a metal pipe for more leverage (I used a 24" pipe), a 10mm hex nut (I used one with a 3/8" drive), and a 6in drive extension (3/8" male to female).

You'll also need a T20 screwdriver. Just get the thick ones that have a bunch of different torx key sizes. It's a handy tool to have.

Step 2: Disconnect battery

Pretty straightforward step. Pop the hood open and you'll find the battery cover to the back left of the car (while you're facing it from the front). Twist the two release clips and lift the cover up. There will be another cover covering the actual battery. Just pull it up gently and you'll hear it release its clips and come upwards. The overall battery should now be revealed.

Use a 10mm socket to unscrew the negative battery terminal and place the released wire far away from the actual battery terminal.

Step 3: Remove driver airbag

Insert a skinny flathead screwdriver into the two dimples on the side of your current steering wheel. Push in gently towards the Mercedes logo on the front of the wheel and you should feel a springy resistance. The airbag should pop out on the side of the steering wheel you just inserted the screwdriver into. Repeat on the other side.

Gently pull the airbag outwards and up. You'll see a yellow connector going from the airbag to the steering wheel. Use some needlenose pliers to pinch the clips on the top and bottom of the yellow connector and gently pull the connector out. Put your old airbag in a safe, empty space, facing upwards.

This is how your wheel will look:

Follow the same procedure for removing the brown steering wheel connector to the left.

Step 4: Break the center bolt loose

This step WILL take a lot of effort/muscle. It's best if you have an extra helping hand to hold the steering wheel straight while attempting this. Insert the 10mm hex bit into the steering wheel center bolt. Then attach the 6" extension bar and hook that onto the breaker bar. Next, put about 6" of the breaker bar into the metal pipe. Position the metal pipe at the 9'o clock position so you unscrew the nut and not tighten it. Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Now hold the steering wheel straight with one hand (or have a helper do this for you) and then apply pressure on the metal pipe. It can take multiple times and a LOT of pressure to get the bolt free. You'll feel it knock loose once you get it right. Once it's free, remove the pipe and use the breaker bar to unscrew the rest of the bolt.

The bolt has some blue loctite applied on it, which is why it's so hard to break loose.

Step 5: Remove old steering wheel, insert new steering wheel

Pull your old steering wheel straight out. Now insert your new steering wheel straight in and align the little tick marks on the new wheel with the marks on the steering column.

Reinsert the center bolt by hand and screw it in. Use the breaker bar to hand tighten it as much as you humanly can. No need to use herculean force for this step.

Step 6: Reattach connectors, replace airbag, fire up the car

Plug in the brown steering wheel connector first. Then insert the yellow airbag connector. Then put the airbag straight into the wheel and firmly press in the middle. It should snap into place with a click.

NOTE: If you're upgrading from a non-sport (round) steering wheel to a sport/AMG (flat bottom) steering wheel, make sure you obtain a new sport/AMG airbag. The two airbags between these different styled steering wheels are NOT interchangeable:

^Round steering wheel airbag is not compatible with a flat-bottom steering wheel (and vice versa).

Once you've double checked that everything is in place, go ahead and reconnect the car's battery. Then start the car and check to make sure everything works, especially the horn and the steering wheel buttons.

If your buttons/horn don't work, it means that you need to swap your old steering wheel's contact plate into your new steering wheel. Someone else has already posted a guide on how to do this on a CLS. The steps and procedure are the same:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ease-help.html

Here's some more after shots:

The following 8 users liked this post by RUNSGR8:
△BenzBoy△ (01-04-2021), drkstvrr (03-16-2017), duffo77 (03-08-2017), Jeffkwok25 (04-02-2019), jevsays (06-25-2019), Jimmy_c63s (05-06-2020), Kush Desai (07-08-2021), ta1 (11-06-2023) and 3 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 557 Likes on 474 Posts
2016 C300
Looks great! I just did an S63 airbag and buttons :

DIY: Upgrading/replacing your W205 steering wheel/airbag-photo408.jpg
The following 2 users liked this post by Mike5215:
△BenzBoy△ (01-04-2021), jevsays (06-25-2019)
Old 03-07-2017, 06:49 PM

Awesome! Looks like we might have the same airbag? Got mine used off eBay and it said it was a W205 airbag but with leather stitching. Loving the thicker grip of the sport wheel!
Old 03-07-2017, 06:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Yeah mine was from EBay.
Old 03-07-2017, 08:08 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
w205 C43, 958.1 CTT
where did you get the red paddle switches from?
Old 03-07-2017, 08:28 PM

Aliexpress.com. Chinese stuff but they're made out of aluminum and have solid construction. Cost me about $30 shipped and feel much much more expensive than that. I've also seen them pop up on eBay recently.
Old 03-07-2017, 10:43 PM

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
'16 GLC300
Where did you get the wheel from? Did the horns and everything work after or did you have to swap them over?

Very nice write up! Good job!
Old 03-07-2017, 11:02 PM

Got the wheel off eBay. The wheel was originally from another W205 platform car, so I didn't have to swap the contact plate over. Everything worked out of the box.
The following 2 users liked this post by RUNSGR8:
△BenzBoy△ (01-04-2021), jevsays (06-25-2019)
Old 03-08-2017, 04:29 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mercedes c220 4matic AMG line
well done, very good and helpful job
The following users liked this post:
△BenzBoy△ (01-04-2021)
Old 03-08-2017, 08:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
2016 C300 2015 VW TDI Golf 2006 MINI S
I wondered what this wheel looked like. For some reason my car does not have it. I have the 321 sport package but I also have the 443 heated steering wheel option. I assume that the flat bottom wheel is not heated?
Old 03-08-2017, 08:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Right, if you got the heated wheel option it's the round (non-sport) version.
Old 03-08-2017, 02:32 PM

Quick tip for anyone who might accidentally trip the SRS alert while doing the swap. I was getting the "Front Left Airbag Malfunction. Service Required" error because I connected the car's battery while the airbag was disconnected while doing the swap. The only way to reset this error code is either by going to a dealer ($$$$) or by going to an indie German car mechanic.

Took the latter route and got the error code verified/reset for $30. Dealer quoted $180 for the quick 2 minute job. Don't run to the dealer unless you think there might be a bigger problem or you sleep on a lumpy mattress filled with cash and want to get rid of some of those cash lumps.
Old 03-08-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
C300 4Matic, BMW Z4, BMW 428i xDrive, Lamborghini Gallardo
Well done!
Old 04-29-2017, 01:53 AM

Received 15 Likes on 9 Posts
W203 C350; Lexus GS450h; GLC250 AMG Line
Do we need a steering wheel puller device to pull the MB steering off the mount after the lock nut is off? I had remove a steering wheel off another make's car and it was tough just pulling it off with bare hands.

Originally Posted by RUNSGR8
Just finished a swap between my non-sport, round steering wheel to a new C63S sport wheel. I own a 2017 C300 coupe but the procedure is the same for the C300 sedan as well. Figured I'd do a quick write up since I took lots of pictures of the process. As always, do all of this at your own risk. I'm not responsible for any damage/issues you have with your car from following this DIY.

Here's my old wheel:

And here's the new wheel:

Make sure you park your car straight with the steering wheel straight.

Step 1: Acquire tools
You'll need a breaker bar (I used a 18" breaker bar with a 3/8" drive from Home Depot), a metal pipe for more leverage (I used a 24" pipe), a 10mm hex nut (I used one with a 3/8" drive), and a 6in drive extension (3/8" male to female).

You'll also need a T20 screwdriver. Just get the thick ones that have a bunch of different torx key sizes. It's a handy tool to have.

Step 2: Disconnect battery

Pretty straightforward step. Pop the hood open and you'll find the battery cover to the back left of the car (while you're facing it from the front). Twist the two release clips and lift the cover up. There will be another cover covering the actual battery. Just pull it up gently and you'll hear it release its clips and come upwards. The overall battery should now be revealed.

Use a 10mm socket to unscrew the negative battery terminal and place the released wire far away from the actual battery terminal.

Step 3: Remove driver airbag

Insert a skinny flathead screwdriver into the two dimples on the side of your current steering wheel. Push in gently towards the Mercedes logo on the front of the wheel and you should feel a springy resistance. The airbag should pop out on the side of the steering wheel you just inserted the screwdriver into. Repeat on the other side.

Gently pull the airbag outwards and up. You'll see a yellow connector going from the airbag to the steering wheel. Use some needlenose pliers to pinch the clips on the top and bottom of the yellow connector and gently pull the connector out. Put your old airbag in a safe, empty space, facing upwards.

This is how your wheel will look:

Follow the same procedure for removing the brown steering wheel connector to the left.

Step 4: Break the center bolt loose

This step WILL take a lot of effort/muscle. It's best if you have an extra helping hand to hold the steering wheel straight while attempting this. Insert the 10mm hex bit into the steering wheel center bolt. Then attach the 6" extension bar and hook that onto the breaker bar. Next, put about 6" of the breaker bar into the metal pipe. Position the metal pipe at the 9'o clock position so you unscrew the nut and not tighten it. Remember, righty tighty, lefty loosey.

Now hold the steering wheel straight with one hand (or have a helper do this for you) and then apply pressure on the metal pipe. It can take multiple times and a LOT of pressure to get the bolt free. You'll feel it knock loose once you get it right. Once it's free, remove the pipe and use the breaker bar to unscrew the rest of the bolt.

The bolt has some blue loctite applied on it, which is why it's so hard to break loose.

Step 5: Remove old steering wheel, insert new steering wheel

Pull your old steering wheel straight out. Now insert your new steering wheel straight in and align the little tick marks on the new wheel with the marks on the steering column.

Reinsert the center bolt by hand and screw it in. Use the breaker bar to hand tighten it as much as you humanly can. No need to use herculean force for this step.

Step 6: Reattach connectors, replace airbag, fire up the car

Plug in the brown steering wheel connector first. Then insert the yellow airbag connector. Then put the airbag straight into the wheel and firmly press in the middle. It should snap into place with a click.

NOTE: If you're upgrading from a non-sport (round) steering wheel to a sport/AMG (flat bottom) steering wheel, make sure you obtain a new sport/AMG airbag. The two airbags between these different styled steering wheels are NOT interchangeable:

^Round steering wheel airbag is not compatible with a flat-bottom steering wheel (and vice versa).

Once you've double checked that everything is in place, go ahead and reconnect the car's battery. Then start the car and check to make sure everything works, especially the horn and the steering wheel buttons.

If your buttons/horn don't work, it means that you need to swap your old steering wheel's contact plate into your new steering wheel. Someone else has already posted a guide on how to do this on a CLS. The steps and procedure are the same:

https://mbworld.org/forums/cls-coupe...ease-help.html

Here's some more after shots:

Something like this?
Old 04-29-2017, 01:58 AM

Nope, a steering wheel puller is not needed. Just take the center lock bolt off and the wheel will slide right off towards you. It does use a lot of force to break the nut loose. Use a breaker bar and an extension.
The following users liked this post:
△BenzBoy△ (01-04-2021)
Old 05-18-2017, 06:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Folks - dealer has me concerned. Bought a W205 airbag off eBay as I wanted the leather airbag cover in my AMG. They won't install the airbag as they claim they cannot verify reliability or voracity of it's age/manipulation with Mercedes on this serial #. Do I need to be worried about this? The airbag seems easy to install, but I'm not sure if I should attempt...

Is there a way to remove JUST the cover from airbags and swap them, without replacing the actual new, warranted inflator/bag itself??? In other words, take just the covers off and leave the works in place....
Old 05-18-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class
Originally Posted by auditoamg
Folks - dealer has me concerned. Bought a W205 airbag off eBay as I wanted the leather airbag cover in my AMG. They won't install the airbag as they claim they cannot verify reliability or voracity of it's age/manipulation with Mercedes on this serial #. Do I need to be worried about this? The airbag seems easy to install, but I'm not sure if I should attempt...

Is there a way to remove JUST the cover from airbags and swap them, without replacing the actual new, warranted inflator/bag itself??? In other words, take just the covers off and leave the works in place....
sounds reasonable for them to refuse, an airbag is a huge deal ! big liability. If they can't verify it's a genuine MB airbag, probably is better to be safe and return it otherwise have a small shop do it.
Old 05-18-2017, 10:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by Sam Manuel
sounds reasonable for them to refuse, an airbag is a huge deal ! big liability. If they can't verify it's a genuine MB airbag, probably is better to be safe and return it otherwise have a small shop do it.
I agree, except I would like to try and remove the covers first.... I don't think they are being unreasonable.

It's pretty easy, so I might try the install myself, but again - would prefer going the "cover removal" route.
Old 05-20-2017, 10:35 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Two things:

1) I cannot see the tabs on my wheel to remove the old airbag. I already have the AMG wheel, just swapping airbags or covers.... Help?
2) Had anyone figured out how to swap just the covers??? There's a supplier that sells just the covers, so there had to be a way!!!
Old 05-20-2017, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by auditoamg
Two things:

1) I cannot see the tabs on my wheel to remove the old airbag. I already have the AMG wheel, just swapping airbags or covers.... Help?
You're looking for two dimples on the sides of your steering wheel, behind the actual grip of the wheel. They'll be on the rear portion of the steering wheel on either side. Just gotta poke a flat head screwdriver in there and push when you feel a springy metal bar. The airbag will pop out on that side. Repeat for the other side again.
Old 05-20-2017, 02:01 PM

Received 36 Likes on 26 Posts
W205 C200 AMG Line Premium
There's an update available for your satnav judging by that first snap. Do it with Mercedes Download Manager on your PC and you'll get graphics that match the rest of the MB screens.
Old 05-21-2017, 10:22 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

C63s
Originally Posted by RUNSGR8
You're looking for two dimples on the sides of your steering wheel, behind the actual grip of the wheel. They'll be on the rear portion of the steering wheel on either side. Just gotta poke a flat head screwdriver in there and push when you feel a springy metal bar. The airbag will pop out on that side. Repeat for the other side again.
Thanks!!
But no one's had luck with just cover replacement?
Old 06-10-2017, 08:37 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C63 C205 coupe, Ferrari F12, Porsche 991.1 Turbo S
Does anyone have, and also willing to share, the Mercedes OEM part number for the C63S steering wheel - my parts database through the Mercedes owners club is not proving easy to search.

Is the leather with contrast stitching airbag module officially an S Class part?
Old 03-02-2018, 11:30 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W205 C Class
Hi, may I ask... If i want to replace the ONLY star logo/emblem, ... Does I need still to unplug the power also?

Or I just can remove directly by using any tool for pop out the old logo/emblem.

The reason that i need to replace that logo is because the chrome on the old emblem are peel off.

Thanks.

This logo on the steering wheel.
Old 03-03-2018, 09:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Does anyone know if the steering wheel heating still works with this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: DIY: Upgrading/replacing your W205 steering wheel/airbag