C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

C300 2016 pushes back (jerks) when accelerating?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-15-2017, 07:27 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
c300 201) 4matic
C300 2016 pushes back (jerks) when accelerating?

Hey guys, just got my new c300 2016 last August and I've noticed something pretty annoying. It doesn't happen constantly but when I try to speed up at times my car pushes back and then starts speeding, very annoying. Sometimes even the RPM goes all the way until 3 but the car isn't speeding up yet. People told me this is completely normal. What do you guys think? My friends Lexus rx350 does the same so I thought maybe it's pretty normal lol
Old 05-16-2017, 07:20 AM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
Are you in comfort mode when this happens? It shouldn't really happen in sport or sport+ but yes, in eco or comfort mode there is definitely some lag between shifting and the turbo spooling up. This is fairly intentional thought. If you feel like the transmission is just slipping then that's a different story.
Old 05-16-2017, 02:47 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Crap gear logic programming, I have similar issues. Even the latest software hasn't fixed it. Sick of going to dealership now, they can just have it back at end of term, I'll write off a huge chunk of cash sadly but I've learned never to go MB again.
The following users liked this post:
Paul Bohmlander (08-06-2020)
Old 05-16-2017, 03:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
I noticed this too and it's on the lists of items I'll bring up with dealership next week. Doesn't feel like a tranny slip just maybe lag.
Old 05-16-2017, 10:25 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 sport
I had this happen a few times, always in C. I switched to full-time S+, and haven't had the problem so far. Is that the ideal answer to what seems like a shift point miscalc? probably not. I just figured such a rare situation would be hard for the MB techs to replicate, let alone fix. But maybe it's a known problem with an easy solution.

Doing a manual reset of the tranny adaptive system might help, btw. It did for me (for a while) after one of those early C mode "jerk" episodes. I followed this: http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/

If you take it in and get a fix, it would be great to hear. Although, I gotta say, I am less and less likely to ever go back to Comfort regardless. Even in slow city driving, S+ rocks.
The following 3 users liked this post by chicago-guy:
Abhi S (11-19-2020), michaelclaw (12-09-2021), RRemy007 (03-10-2021)
Old 05-17-2017, 12:10 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
It doesn't help fuel consumption however driving around with a highly revving engine.
Old 05-17-2017, 07:34 PM

2015 C300 sport
I recall another thread that arrived at the conclusion that full-time S vs C lowered mpg only by 1 or so, and i could argue that fuel efficiency didn't top my list when I bought this rig (probably like many other MB drivers, let's be real) or I would have been in a prius dealership.

But it's actually a moot point in this thread because I hit the jerking problem today on S+. Not fun to be on a four-lane city street maneuvering in a low gear and feeling like the engine's about to stall. I'm going to use the TAS reset as a temporary fix and take it in soon.
Old 05-17-2017, 11:07 PM

C300
Originally Posted by chicago-guy
I recall another thread that arrived at the conclusion that full-time S vs C lowered mpg only by 1 or so, and i could argue that fuel efficiency didn't top my list when I bought this rig (probably like many other MB drivers, let's be real) or I would have been in a prius dealership.

But it's actually a moot point in this thread because I hit the jerking problem today on S+. Not fun to be on a four-lane city street maneuvering in a low gear and feeling like the engine's about to stall. I'm going to use the TAS reset as a temporary fix and take it in soon.
This car is already efficient well i think coming from 2015 v6 Accord. But I'm much happier driving this car and I agree with you I didn't buy this car for it's efficiency. This surely is more fun to drive oh and when that turbo kicks in, just makes it even more fun.
benzw205 (04-10-2023)
Old 05-18-2017, 11:48 AM

c300 201) 4matic
I had this happen a few times, always in C. I switched to full-time S+, and haven't had the problem so far. Is that the ideal answer to what seems like a shift point miscalc? probably not. I just figured such a rare situation would be hard for the MB techs to replicate, let alone fix. But maybe it's a known problem with an easy solution.

Doing a manual reset of the tranny adaptive system might help, btw. It did for me (for a while) after one of those early C mode "jerk" episodes. I followed this: http://www.mercedesmedic.com/reset-m...-instructions/

If you take it in and get a fix, it would be great to hear. Although, I gotta say, I am less and less likely to ever go back to Comfort regardless. Even in slow city driving, S+ rocks.
going to the dealer this week, I'll let everyone know what they say!
Old 05-18-2017, 06:29 PM

2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by Ahmad Elfaham
going to the dealer this week, I'll let everyone know what they say!
Old 05-21-2017, 02:27 PM

c300 201) 4matic
Originally Posted by applehaus01
I noticed this too and it's on the lists of items I'll bring up with dealership next week. Doesn't feel like a tranny slip just maybe lag.
Have you went to the dealership?
Old 05-21-2017, 05:46 PM

C300
Have you went to the dealership?
Dropping car off on Tuesday. I'll post an update.
Old 05-23-2017, 12:24 AM

2015 C300 sport
Mine goes in Wednesday, since problem started happening once a day. Not acceptable.
Old 05-23-2017, 02:46 AM

C300
Had to resched mine next Monday too busy but this problem seem to be getting really irritating. I don't understand why it happens on our cars.
Old 05-23-2017, 04:06 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
Gents,

When driving in highest gear and you are pushing the pedal in deep {no kick down yet) the gearbox might want to go down one gear to give the requested acelleration. Pushing it deeper (kick down) tequires the gearbox to shift down another 2 (or maybe even 3 gears) to give you the maximum torque you request. This second gear shift might occur when the 1st wasn't completely finished and therefore this might happen once and a while. It mostly happens in Eco or Comfort. In Sport and Sport+ this is less likely to happen. If you hit the pedal to the bottom in one go this should not happen. The self learning behavior of the gear box is looking at your historical drive behavior and anticipates on that. That might be a part of the issue too.
benzw205 (04-10-2023)
Old 05-23-2017, 10:30 AM

C300
Originally Posted by GerritKw
Gents,

When driving in highest gear and you are pushing the pedal in deep {no kick down yet) the gearbox might want to go down one gear to give the requested acelleration. Pushing it deeper (kick down) tequires the gearbox to shift down another 2 (or maybe even 3 gears) to give you the maximum torque you request. This second gear shift might occur when the 1st wasn't completely finished and therefore this might happen once and a while. It mostly happens in Eco or Comfort. In Sport and Sport+ this is less likely to happen. If you hit the pedal to the bottom in one go this should not happen. The self learning behavior of the gear box is looking at your historical drive behavior and anticipates on that. That might be a part of the issue too.
Im new to MB product but I asked my dad and he doesn't notice this on his E350 or GL450. I never had this in my previous japanese vehicles. It's almost like the car chokes then goes.

Off topic, when I start my car in the morning the engine seem loud like a diesel then after maybe 3mins it kinda normalizes but still kinda noisy for a 4cyl. Not sure if this is a c300 issue. My precious car was 2015 accord v6 and that car is like a ninja quiet. Anyone knows about this noise? It's a 2017 8882 Miles. This car is a dealership loaner before and I bought it at 7850miles.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:33 AM

C350e
Im new to MB product but I asked my dad and he doesn't notice this on his E350 or GL450. I never had this in my previous japanese vehicles. It's almost like the car chokes then goes.

Off topic, when I start my car in the morning the engine seem loud like a diesel then after maybe 3mins it kinda normalizes but still kinda noisy for a 4cyl. Not sure if this is a c300 issue. My precious car was 2015 accord v6 and that car is like a ninja quiet. Anyone knows about this noise? It's a 2017 8882 Miles. This car is a dealership loaner before and I bought it at 7850miles.
I had the jerk experiance maybe a couple of times since i have the car (C350e for 20 months now).
Somewhere on this forum is a method described that allows you to reset the gearbox. Maybe that helps.
Old 05-23-2017, 09:35 PM

c300 201) 4matic
Originally Posted by GerritKw
Gents,

so much for a $40,000 car lol
Old 05-23-2017, 10:21 PM

2015 C300 sport
My experiences with the problem have been in low gears, either pulling from a stop/near-stop or accelerating from a slow speed. It's occurred in both Comfort and Sport+. I have heard this described as gear slipping, and it certainly reminds me of a handful of stick-shift situations I experienced where there really weren't enough RPMs to shift up, but someone tried anyway.

I dropped my car off tonight. They were kind enough to provide a '17 C300 loaner. And it feels (and sounds, and behaves) like a completely different car; just in Comfort, the acceleration is instant and rather awe-inspiring compared to my '15 at its Sport+ best, and the sound is a satisfying growl. I am starting to feel those "first year of a completely new model" blues... and wondering if that MB upgrade program they were flogging on big banners in the service area might not be worth serious consideration.
Old 05-23-2017, 10:32 PM

c300 201) 4matic
My experiences with the problem have been in low gears, either pulling from a stop/near-stop or accelerating from a slow speed. It's occurred in both Comfort and Sport+. I have heard this described as gear slipping, and it certainly reminds me of a handful of stick-shift situations I experienced where there really weren't enough RPMs to shift up, but someone tried anyway.

I dropped my car off tonight. They were kind enough to provide a '17 C300 loaner. And it feels (and sounds, and behaves) like a completely different car; just in Comfort, the acceleration is instant and rather awe-inspiring compared to my '15 at its Sport+ best, and the sound is a satisfying growl. I am starting to feel those "first year of a completely new model" blues... and wondering if that MB upgrade program they were flogging on big banners in the service area might not be worth serious consideration.

Hopefully they give me the same loaner, actually quite excited about that 😂. Just hope they don't say anything about my muffler delete 😕
Old 05-23-2017, 11:33 PM

C350e

This is not what i understood from the earlier posts. The fact you got different behavior in the loaner means you have an issue there. I hope they fix that for you.
Old 05-23-2017, 11:37 PM

C350e
so much for a $40,000 car lol
You can always choose for a car with the typical sluggish US kinda gearbox that feels like an elastic band you have to wind up before something happens.
Or take the manual gear, then you can blame the driver.
Old 05-26-2017, 09:48 PM

2015 C300 sport
Picked my car up today. The diagnosis was a failing crankshaft position sensor. Tech was able to replicate the problem. Replaced the sensor and kept overnight for testing.

So far so good, feels like a whole new engine (so no, @GerritKw, seems like I don't need to trade up quite yet ;-)). Had a few typical trigger point situations in sludgy Chicago traffic on the way home, and the transmission handled perfectly.

I asked why the problem didn't trigger the check engine light, so I could have picked up the fault code on a scanner, but apparently the problem was only a pending code when I brought the car in. Glad I brought it in early.

Ahmad, I will be interested to hear if your issue/fix ends up being similar.
Old 06-06-2017, 03:48 PM

c300 201) 4matic
Picked my car up today. The diagnosis was a failing crankshaft position sensor. Tech was able to replicate the problem. Replaced the sensor and kept overnight for testing.

So far so good, feels like a whole new engine (so no, @GerritKw, seems like I don't need to trade up quite yet ;-)). Had a few typical trigger point situations in sludgy Chicago traffic on the way home, and the transmission handled perfectly.

I asked why the problem didn't trigger the check engine light, so I could have picked up the fault code on a scanner, but apparently the problem was only a pending code when I brought the car in. Glad I brought it in early.

Ahmad, I will be interested to hear if your issue/fix ends up being similar.
took it to the dealer today, told me the problem is “normal” and that it’s for “protective reasons”, still said they’ll take a look at it, I’ll let you know tomorrow what happens
Old 02-15-2019, 03:02 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C300 coupe 2016
Disel like noise on cold start up

I have the exact same problem oncold start up of my C300 Coupé 2016/17 model. It literally sounds like a small disel truck. I have taken in back to MB dealership multiple times only to have them tell me it’s the turbo waste gate making that noise, which I’m not convinced about. I’ve had family members comment to me that it sounds awful and I agree. Although once you pass the 3rd bar in oil temp gauge it appears to stop, so only on cold start up. Have taken it back to another dealership who said these engines just sound like that but I don’t remember it ever sounding like that before...anyone had any feedback on this or experienced the same problem?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: C300 2016 pushes back (jerks) when accelerating?