C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

How to fix lack of bass and enrich the whole music listening experience with 25€

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-23-2017, 09:05 AM

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
mercedes-benz c-class w205
How to fix lack of bass and enrich the whole music listening experience with 25€

Hey guys!
I've been reading and also experienced myself that the sound in a new C-class without the Burmester is crappy - not enough bass etc. So I thought that I should do something about it.

First I tried to play with the equalizer on my phone - added some low frequencies to it. This made a huge difference on some music tracks, making them more vibrant. But later it was still not enough and I still missed the bass.

So I looked into different places and searched for possibilities. I didn't want any extra boxes for the sub woofer in the trunk etc so my first thought was to get the small sub woofer that goes under the seat. This automatically means wiring and effin up the stock wires and harnesses etc, which I also didn't want. The sub would be around 200€ + installing it.

My second thought was to take a look at the stock bass speaker in the passengers foot well. It was actually a 10 min job to take it out. just pull the carpet backwards, take plastic trim off, which is fastened with 3 bolts. There are also some electrics behind it which are also fastened with 3 bolts. The bass speaker it self sits on 3 bolts and is easily accessible.

What I found out was that this bass speaker was a total joke. its a 17cm speaker with a tiny magnet.

look at it:

So I thought that it should replaced with something more powerful, but it should still fit without changing anything and it should not burn the stock amplifier. So I took it off, went to the store and bought a 60W bass speaker from Visaton. My idea was that it should be possible to put the original speaker back if needed with out any noticeable damage to the plastic podium etc.

I took the original speaker out of the podium, cut a new podium for my speaker out of ply wood, painted it black, sealed it etc and installed it back.

This is how they looked compared to each other:

After assembling everything back together I can say that I now have a very good sound in my Benz. Plenty of bass on low volume. Everything turned out perfectly - I have a totally stock system, all the wiring remained the same, socket is the same, I don't have any extra sub box anywhere. It took me around 2 hours and 27€, so yeah i'm pretty happy with the result.

And I can always switch back to the stock bass speaker if needed and nobody will even know.

So guys go ahead and replace the bass speaker, totally worth it and costs nothing.

one pretty pic to get you going and motivated:

The following 3 users liked this post by onehundred100:
preyalin22 (09-11-2017), shadenfroh (07-27-2017), Uga Uga (07-26-2017)
Old 07-23-2017, 09:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
Top work, thanks for contributing.

for me bass isn't the disappointment, it's the ear piercing brightness of the burmester setup.

Id be interested to know how to sort that out.
Old 07-23-2017, 09:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts
C63s
Originally Posted by ManiacGT

for me bass isn't the disappointment, it's the ear piercing brightness of the burmester setup.

The system is too heavy on mids, that's why the system sounds so bright. I'm certain the engineers were trying to compensate for THAT by adding treble and changing the overall curve to the tweeter. It's actually a funny sound, it's harsh. I fixed it in mine by using a DSP and its equalizer. But it requires wiring into the system....
Old 07-23-2017, 05:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 556 Likes on 473 Posts
2016 C300
Originally Posted by onehundred100
Hey guys!
I've been reading and also experienced myself that the sound in a new C-class without the Burmester is crappy - not enough bass etc. So I thought that I should do something about it.

First I tried to play with the equalizer on my phone - added some low frequencies to it. This made a huge difference on some music tracks, making them more vibrant. But later it was still not enough and I still missed the bass.

So I looked into different places and searched for possibilities. I didn't want any extra boxes for the sub woofer in the trunk etc so my first thought was to get the small sub woofer that goes under the seat. This automatically means wiring and effin up the stock wires and harnesses etc, which I also didn't want. The sub would be around 200€ + installing it.

My second thought was to take a look at the stock bass speaker in the passengers foot well. It was actually a 10 min job to take it out. just pull the carpet backwards, take plastic trim off, which is fastened with 3 bolts. There are also some electrics behind it which are also fastened with 3 bolts. The bass speaker it self sits on 3 bolts and is easily accessible.

What I found out was that this bass speaker was a total joke. its a 17cm speaker with a tiny magnet.

look at it:

So I thought that it should replaced with something more powerful, but it should still fit without changing anything and it should not burn the stock amplifier. So I took it off, went to the store and bought a 60W bass speaker from Visaton. My idea was that it should be possible to put the original speaker back if needed with out any noticeable damage to the plastic podium etc.

I took the original speaker out of the podium, cut a new podium for my speaker out of ply wood, painted it black, sealed it etc and installed it back.

After assembling everything back together I can say that I now have a very good sound in my Benz. Plenty of bass on low volume. Everything turned out perfectly - I have a totally stock system, all the wiring remained the same, socket is the same, I don't have any extra sub box anywhere. It took me around 2 hours and 27€, so yeah i'm pretty happy with the result.

And I can always switch back to the stock bass speaker if needed and nobody will even know.

So guys go ahead and replace the bass speaker, totally worth it and costs nothing.

one pretty pic to get you going and motivated:

Nice! What I've learned about the W205 speakers (Burmester or A20) is they use rare earth magnets (neodymium) that are significantly stronger than the big conventional magnets we're accustomed to seeing on speakers with high power handling. Which is why the factory amp can drive your new speaker despite the fact it's magnet is significantly larger.
Old 07-23-2017, 11:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
Please understand OP... "new C-class without the Burmester is crappy" - ie replacing "woofer" in standard system...
Old 07-24-2017, 07:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C300 coupe Designo Diamond White Metallic
thank you for sharing. This is very interesting. It seems like you have not touched the 4" speakers in the doors? Is that correct?

You went from 6" to a 6.5", could you have gone to a 7" woofer? what made you settle on a 60W woofer?

Thanks
Old 07-24-2017, 08:02 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
You just did the one "subbass" speaker? What about the driver's side?
Old 07-24-2017, 08:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
The speaker's power rating is only part of the equation. The speaker's efficiency rating is a major factor. A speaker rated for 100 watts nominal with an 87% efficiency (poor) will not play as loudly given the same power as one rated for 75 watts nominal but a 97% rating.

The other issue is the amp's actual output. If it's putting out 25 watts a speaker requiring a 50 watt nominal signal will underperform significantly. It's always a balancing act when you're not adding your own amps.
Old 07-25-2017, 12:52 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2017 C300 coupe Designo Diamond White Metallic
Originally Posted by nobbyv
You just did the one "subbass" speaker? What about the driver's side?
I think there is only one in the Audio20 (base) system. There is no speaker on the driver's side foot well.
Old 07-25-2017, 08:56 AM

Received 76 Likes on 48 Posts
2017 AMG c43 coupe
Nice work on this!
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
2016 Cardinal Red AMG C63 S
Originally Posted by raihak
I think there is only one in the Audio20 (base) system. There is no speaker on the driver's side foot well.
You're right, I misunderstood his post and thought he HAD the Burmester.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:42 PM

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 W205 C400 4Matic
Originally Posted by ManiacGT

I've got a loaner (again) and this one has the base audio...

HOLY HELL, the Burmester is compared to this crap.

I've definitely heard FAR superior systems in other cars (hello, Volvo S90? ) but the difference from the base audio to the Burmester IS significant.
Old 07-26-2017, 01:13 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300
I like this idea. I know companies like focal do this (direct replacements) for BMW. (https://www.focal.com/en/car-audio/c...wr/ifbmw-subv2)
Old 07-26-2017, 03:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2016 C300
Focal makes the IFBMW and IFBMW-S drop in replacement speakers for the Harman Kardon system in BMWs. The IFBMW is a 2 way 4 inch, and the IFBMW S is an 8" dual coil shallow mount sub. Neither are the correct form factor for the 205, although the 4" will work with some modifications to the mount.

I don't believe anybody is making drop in replacements for the Burmester...too small a market. BMW has been using those speakers for many years, which created a large enough pool of potential customers.
Old 04-17-2024, 04:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mercedes C300 2015
How is it so far ?

.did it cause any damage to the factory amp ? man the base sound system on the w205 is rly disappointing..

After assembling everything back together I can say that I now have a very good sound in my Benz. Plenty of bass on low volume. Everything turned out perfectly - I have a totally stock system, all the wiring remained the same, socket is the same, I don't have any extra sub box anywhere. It took me around 2 hours and 27€, so yeah i'm pretty happy with the result
​​​​​​