C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Highway Wear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-15-2017, 09:05 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
16' C300 Sport P2 w/ night package
Highway Wear

For those of you who put a lot of highway miles on every week, I'm wondering how your front ends are hanging in there?

I've had cars previously (not MB) that end up pitted and dented after a year or two of highway commutes.

With the exception of a rogue boulder that did a number, my 16' seems to be holding out decently so far. Nothing terribly noticeable. Any of you less fortunate out there?
Old 09-16-2017, 12:56 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c400
Luckily, I've been pretty luck for the past 5 months i've had the car. I already put about 12k miles within the past 5 months, obviously mostly highway miles and of course, i do see some wear in the front, like rock chips and such but it is very minimal, and when im saying very minimal, i'm talking about like 2 or 3 very small nick on the front bumper. My last car, a 2015 genesis coupe ultimate manual, had so much more wear on the front for those 2 years i've had it. I used to follow cars closely (only the ones who go slow) and i think that's what caused the most damage. I've broken that habit mostly now that i usually don't follow closely, no matter what car it is, unless i'm really pissed to the point where the car in front of me, especially in the first lane, has been in front of me for miles without moving over and i think that's what causes the most wear and tear on the front end. Now that i have chemical guy's jet seal applied all over the car, all the bug stains and such comes off so easily at every car wash, which also helps with all the wear in the front.
Old 09-16-2017, 04:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 57 Likes on 52 Posts
BMW e89 Z4 sDrive 35i & MB S205 C200 AMG Premium Plus
This car chips more than any other brand I've ever owned. 12k miles and 2 years has several large chips to the bumper, bonnet (hood) and especially annoying are the chips on the super weak windscreen. One has pentrated the first layer and split on the second meaning I can't resin fix it too.
Old 09-18-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
C205 C43
Originally Posted by ManiacGT
This car chips more than any other brand I've ever owned. 12k miles and 2 years has several large chips to the bumper, bonnet (hood) and especially annoying are the chips on the super weak windscreen. One has pentrated the first layer and split on the second meaning I can't resin fix it too.
same story.
main problem is windscreen and headlights...
Windscreen was replaces after 60k km, was terrible in the sun. Headlights, are to expensive for full replacement.
Old 09-19-2017, 07:39 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 sport
Would a ceramic coating help?

Originally Posted by CSVT
For those of you who put a lot of highway miles on every week, I'm wondering how your front ends are hanging in there?

I've had cars previously (not MB) that end up pitted and dented after a year or two of highway commutes.

With the exception of a rogue boulder that did a number, my 16' seems to be holding out decently so far. Nothing terribly noticeable. Any of you less fortunate out there?
Mine's a '15 and I only recently started putting more highway mileage on it, and yes, I am seeing a sudden increase in pitting on the hood.

Wondering if one of those professionally applied ceramic coatings would protect against small stuff like this. Anyone have experience with that?
Old 09-20-2017, 11:49 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2018 C300 Sport 4matic
Same

I have 25K on my 2015 and same type of wear. Chips on bumper and hood. My chrome lower spoiler has a lot of pits in it. Windscreen has 3 or 4 chips and is looking scratched up. Soft glass! My 09 C300 windscreen looked like it went through a sand storm it was terrible! 2015 not much better.
Old 09-22-2017, 01:47 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c400
Originally Posted by chicago-guy
Mine's a '15 and I only recently started putting more highway mileage on it, and yes, I am seeing a sudden increase in pitting on the hood.

Wondering if one of those professionally applied ceramic coatings would protect against small stuff like this. Anyone have experience with that?
it would a little more but not much. Clear bra would be the best option in that case.
Old 09-28-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 24 Likes on 24 Posts
2015 C300 Sport 4MATIC
i do mostly highway driving, only use my car on the weekends to go to VT, NYC, etc.. my front chrome lip has so many pits in it it looks dirty all the time, my headlight lenses are pretty speckled and never look clean, etc. I only have 35k miles. The headlight covers looking like crap with the lights on is pretty annoying, but its a lease so i dont care. But yeah im surprised it looks the way it does, my prior cars have never had the wear on exterior parts that this car does
Old 09-29-2017, 05:54 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
16' C300 Sport P2 w/ night package
Surprising these things are so prone to dings - especially on the windscreen...

I even had a clear bra installed that promptly had a huge chuck ripped up down to the paint from a rock hitting the car on the highway.... unreal how much damage highway miles do to these cars.