C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

50K mile 2015 C300 Wrist pin or no?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
2015 C300 4MATIC W205
Originally Posted by Fshin88
Thanks for the feedback guys. If anyone is in the Bay Area, can you suggest a good dealership? I’ve only been to the one in Pleasanton but they’ve often been very dismissive saying. “That’s just how the car is..”. Have an appointment scheduled but wouldn’t be surprised if they blew me off.
Hey Fshin88... I live in the SF and was given 2015 C300 4matic (January 2015 production) with 12K miles by my mother-in-law last month. I'm having issues with fumes coming into the cabin and only taken it to SF Mercedes dealer. My company is HQ in Pleasanton and was thinking of trying that dealership. Interesting to hear your experience. After seeing and hearing the YouTube posts, I think I may have the wrist pin issue as well but not totally sure yet. Will investigate and have the dealer take a look as well. Will let everyone know how it goes.
Old 02-19-2018, 12:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
My production date is 09/24/2014... Eng number last 6 is: 276347
Old 02-19-2018, 02:10 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2015 C300 W205
Originally Posted by AChan123
Hey Fshin88... I live in the SF and was given 2015 C300 4matic (January 2015 production) with 12K miles by my mother-in-law last month. I'm having issues with fumes coming into the cabin and only taken it to SF Mercedes dealer. My company is HQ in Pleasanton and was thinking of trying that dealership. Interesting to hear your experience. After seeing and hearing the YouTube posts, I think I may have the wrist pin issue as well but not totally sure yet. Will investigate and have the dealer take a look as well. Will let everyone know how it goes.
The TSB indicates that this issue is applicable for 2015 W205 models prior to a April/2015 delivery date. So I would definitely recommend bringing your car in for the same. I’ve dealt with two service advisors in the past that I wasn’t too satisfied with but the new one I requested seemed promising. I made an appointment two weeks ago with their earliest availability on the morning of the 26th. Will keep everyone in the loop!

official TSB:
TSB #LI03-10P060916
NHTSA ID #10058545
Date Announced: JULY 01 2015
Summary: XENTRY (DAIMLER): DUE TO UNFAVORABLE TOLERANCE OF PISTON WRIST PIN, RESULTING IN KNOCKING, CLATTERING/RATTLING NOISES, CAUSING AN ENLARGE END FLOAT CONNECTING ROD IN PISTON, FROM CRANK ASSEMBLY OF ENGINE WHEN COLD
Old 02-22-2018, 07:46 PM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts
2015 C300
UPDATE: I picked my car up today. To say I am impressed is an understatement. The car runs dead on ***** perfect. The engine is tight tight tight, with no unusual noises. Feels like it has more pulling power for sure, and it idles ridiculously smooth. The 2 new front axles were installed, as well as new door LED's. I can't say enough Great things about Knopf Automotive in Bethlehem PA and for sure ,The Service writer (John) and obviously the Technician (Mark) who diagnosed the noise and performed all of the repairs. The diagnosis was argument free, the service date was set up and I actually got the loaner car a day earlier so I wouldn't have to take off from work. I picked up the loaner car (2018 C300 with 1800 miles) and was out of there in about 10 minutes- hassle free. I was contacted about a week later and the Service writer said the Technician wanted to take the car home for the night and put some miles on it (which is part of the repair process) and I of course said Yes go right ahead. The service writer called me around noon the next day and said the car was ready to go after a recheck of fluids. The axles and steering are perfect,perfect perfect, and if the door panels were removed for the LED's I cant see any trace of it and there are NO squeaks or rattles at all. Amazing job by a true professional. THANK YOU so so much...
Old 02-22-2018, 09:38 PM

2015 C300 W205
Glad to hear! I only wish I could go to the same dealership. It seems that since this is a more complex repair, it will depend heavily on how experienced the technician is. I’m scheduled for Monday, will post an update afterwards.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:20 PM

2015 C300 W205
Brought my car into Mercedes of Pleasanton last night so that this morning I could have the SA listen to the clicking/knocking during a cold start.

As expected, the SA went on to describe that this noise is attributed to the valves and fuel pump on this model car. He mentioned that just because the car falls within the range of the production date of vehicles affected by the TSB, doesn’t mean my car is affected.

I received a loaner 2018 C300 which does not have the loud knocking during deceleration that my own car has. As indiciated even in my YouTube video, it’s apparent that the noises are abnormal and is not how my engine should start.

I am pretty tired of this dealership continuing to blow me off each time I point out any issues that should be covered under my warranty. Any thoughts on what I should do? Obviously will have another dealership check this out. I’m starting to get the sense that if I didn’t purchase my car there, or have any prior service history at the dealership they will continue to blow me off.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:24 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
Drop the car off the night before so the SA can drive it when the engine is cold. The noise goes away after a few minutes as the engine is warming up.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:27 PM

2015 C300 W205
Hi Pete. Yup, dropped off the car last night and had the SA listen to the car this morning while cold with the hood open. The clicking/knocking was loud and clear. He didn’t bother driving it or even having a technician check it out. His diagnosis today was no issues...he said he would start it again tomorrow morning. If he didn’t think anything of the noises today, I doubt that will change tomorrow.
Old 02-26-2018, 11:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
'18 GLC 300 4M/Air Suspension
He needs to drive it and accelerate to 20 mph and then decelerate when the engine is cold. That's when it is very apparent.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:43 AM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
W205
Brought my car into Mercedes of Pleasanton last night so that this morning I could have the SA listen to the clicking/knocking during a cold start.

As expected, the SA went on to describe that this noise is attributed to the valves and fuel pump on this model car. He mentioned that just because the car falls within the range of the production date of vehicles affected by the TSB, doesn’t mean my car is affected.

I received a loaner 2018 C300 which does not have the loud knocking during deceleration that my own car has. As indiciated even in my YouTube video, it’s apparent that the noises are abnormal and is not how my engine should start.

I am pretty tired of this dealership continuing to blow me off each time I point out any issues that should be covered under my warranty. Any thoughts on what I should do? Obviously will have another dealership check this out. I’m starting to get the sense that if I didn’t purchase my car there, or have any prior service history at the dealership they will continue to blow me off.
I brought mine to Walnut Creek. They gave me a new GLE loaner kept my car overnight and tested it in the morning. Confirmed it was the wrist pin. They told me they’ve done a ton of wrist pin repairs. I was the second c300 turning it in that day. It’s currently there not sure when I’m getting it back. They said it could be two weeks since they don’t want to rush it. They’re also replacing all my weather stripping on my doors and pano roof.
Old 02-27-2018, 12:57 AM

2015 C300 W205
Looks like I’m going to have to take my car to the Walnut Creek dealership to get a second opinion. Appreciate the feedback. The SA at the pleasanton dealership says this is an extremely uncommon issue and they’ve only done this repair for two cars ever. Calling Bull**** on this. Thanks everyone
Old 02-27-2018, 01:54 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
c class

try the Fairfield dealership , they are not so busy ! I go to the Marin dealership even though they are nice folks they tend to brush everything off .

I have to go twice very inconvenient but Fairfield guys diagnosed the problem and fixed the car in 2 days , I didn’t think it was a possibility lol it was an axle issue that my dealer had neglected for almost 2 years !!!
Old 02-27-2018, 11:16 AM

2015 C300 4MATIC W205
Fshin88... let us know how the Walnut Creek dealership goes.

Sam Manuel... thanks for the tip on the Fairfield dealership. I also live in SF, we have to meet for coffee sometime.
Old 02-27-2018, 11:17 AM

W205
Originally Posted by Sam Manuel

try the Fairfield dealership , they are not so busy ! I go to the Marin dealership even though they are nice folks they tend to brush everything off .

I have to go twice very inconvenient but Fairfield guys diagnosed the problem and fixed the car in 2 days , I didn’t think it was a possibility lol it was an axle issue that my dealer had neglected for almost 2 years !!!
I purchased my car from Fairfield. I told them about the noises from the engine. All they did was fix my headliner noise and door LED lights. Took them forever to do that. I also didn’t want to drive all the way up there. Walnut Creek definitely seemed busier but I’ve had my other mb there(SL63) and they’ve been good.
Old 03-09-2018, 10:57 PM

2015 C300 W205
Originally Posted by Cali4niadriver

I purchased my car from Fairfield. I told them about the noises from the engine. All they did was fix my headliner noise and door LED lights. Took them forever to do that. I also didn’t want to drive all the way up there. Walnut Creek definitely seemed busier but I’ve had my other mb there(SL63) and they’ve been good.
I’ll be dropping my car off at the Walnut Creek dealership this Friday. Was wondering if you’ve received any update with your car. How long did they state it would take? Did they seem confident in doing this repair?
Old 03-09-2018, 11:51 PM

W205

I’ll be dropping my car off at the Walnut Creek dealership this Friday. Was wondering if you’ve received any update with your car. How long did they state it would take? Did they seem confident in doing this repair?
literally just picked it up like maybe 3 hours ago. They didn’t say specifically but I’m taking it easy for a while and re-breaking it in. Apparently they replaced a bunch of other things while down there too. Car feels really tight and new but maybe it’s just because I was driving a soft feeling GLE for over 2 weeks lol. Dropped my car off on the 21st and it’s now the 9th.
Old 03-09-2018, 11:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 993 Likes on 765 Posts
2003 CL 600
There's not a spec for break in, but the block is used at this point so the new rings seat in pretty quickly.

Glad most of you guys have had good luck with the wristpin repairs. It's not a bad job to do, but many techs are sloppy and the fact that we are on flat rate here in the states means that everything is a rush. Leads to poor quality workmanship sadly.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:17 AM

2015 C300 W205
Originally Posted by Cali4niadriver

literally just picked it up like maybe 3 hours ago. They didn’t say specifically but I’m taking it easy for a while and re-breaking it in. Apparently they replaced a bunch of other things while down there too. Car feels really tight and new but maybe it’s just because I was driving a soft feeling GLE for over 2 weeks lol. Dropped my car off on the 21st and it’s now the 9th.
Glad to hear! Please do keep us updated on how it continues to drive.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:29 AM

W205

Glad to hear! Please do keep us updated on how it continues to drive.
I put about 20 miles on it so far and it’s great. They were even nice enough to fill my gas tank but that’s because they messed up with my loaner. Will drive it more this weekend and update.
Old 03-10-2018, 06:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 31 Likes on 30 Posts
2015 C300 Sport: Palladium, Premium, Multimedia, Leather, BLIS
Just got mine back from the wrist pin repair. Work sheet is two pages long! It shows they used a stethoscope to diagnose the noise as the wrist pin issue. They also did an alignment as part of the repair process. Only a few miles on it so far, but everything seems absolutely fine. Will update as I drive it more. Total time in the shop was a week.
Old 03-16-2018, 06:53 PM

2015 C300 W205
Just dropped off my car at the Walnut Creek dealership this morning. What a great crew to interact with! Service advisors are kind and courteous and employees greet you with a smile and hello. I don’t think I will ever be going to the pleasanton dealership ever again... My service advisor knew about my concerns regarding the wrist pin issue and the noises I explained my car was making. They will be waiting for a cold start to diagnose any issues. He also mentioned they have a technician who has handled about 90% of these rebuilds, now with a turnaround time of about 1.5 weeks. Also got hooked up with a brand new fully loaded E class so I’m not complaining . Highly recommend this dealership if you’re in the Bay Area.
Old 03-16-2018, 07:17 PM

2015 C300 4MATIC W205
Just dropped off my car at the Walnut Creek dealership this morning. What a great crew to interact with! Service advisors are kind and courteous and employees greet you with a smile and hello. I don’t think I will ever be going to the pleasanton dealership ever again... My service advisor knew about my concerns regarding the wrist pin issue and the noises I explained my car was making. They will be waiting for a cold start to diagnose any issues. He also mentioned they have a technician who has handled about 90% of these rebuilds, now with a turnaround time of about 1.5 weeks. Also got hooked up with a brand new fully loaded E class so I’m not complaining . Highly recommend this dealership if you’re in the Bay Area.
Hey Fshin88... what's the name of your service advisor and please update us when you get the car back. Thanks!
Old 03-16-2018, 07:30 PM

W205
Mine drives like new. No noise, they replaced a few other parts that had some corrosion. Very happy with the outcome. They “ran out” of E class loaners when I was there last month so I had a new GLE instead. Mine took a little longer because I also had them replace the weather stripping on all doors. It’s so much better.
Old 03-18-2018, 04:22 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E350 MB Black on Black
Originally Posted by hogdad
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uuhs5j_xJbg
Just in case you need a reference point for the noise..here ya go
I was wondering what that noise was. I had no idea what it was, my lease has has 33 miles on it...now i know! Thanks for the visual.
Old 03-20-2018, 12:24 AM

2015 C300 W205
I received word on Saturday that the technician without a doubt recognized the clicking noises coming from my engine. They will be receiving all of the parts tomorrow and going to work on replacing the pistons. I’m definitely relieved that this issues is finally being taken care of under warranty but a bit anxious to see how the car drives. In the meantime, I’m enjoying my fully loaded E class .

Will keep you guys posted

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 50K mile 2015 C300 Wrist pin or no?