C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Command screen - device unavailable- fix

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-12-2018, 05:40 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 c300
Command screen - device unavailable- fix

This morning, I got to my car and when I turned it on, there was no sound coming from the speaker. The radio was on but I couldn't toggle the sound. When I switched to FM radio, or to my device that's plugged in (for music), it wasn't opening, and gave me a message saying "device unavailable." And, my Bluetooth would not connect. I tried restarting the car, to no success. I did a quick internet search and could not find any quick fixes. But upon further digging, I found that you can ?reset the command unit by holding down the EJECT button for 10-15 seconds. I did that and subsequently, my speaker started working. It was a mini panic attack I had. I didn't want to have to bring it into the dealership for something like this, and crisis was averted! I didn't see a thread on here for this specific problem, so if anyone ever comes across this issue, try what I did!
The following 6 users liked this post by Elbandito:
cidtek (02-13-2018), Cilo C Class (10-29-2019), FNCOX (06-03-2020), mrb1922 (10-28-2021), Popoff (02-13-2018), sab202 (09-05-2022) and 1 others liked this post. (Show less...)
Old 02-13-2018, 07:05 PM

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
W205 C250 2016
In some Audio20 when using USB sometimes the system will freeze when manipulating the cable, may be because some kind fiscal error in the connector. Try to BT without a usb cable plugged in.
Old 03-28-2018, 11:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C-Class C300W4
I started getting this same message on my Audio 20 head unit last week. It appears that a Technical Service Bulletin has been issued on it? Any luck on a dealer fixing this under the TSB?
Old 03-30-2018, 12:27 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2015 C300 4 Matic
I have the same issue and I brought the car to my dealer today. Looks like it is a problem with the satellite radio. There was some signal from the satellite system a few weeks ago that bricked the audio20 system in the 2015 model. The dealerships have a software update to resolve the issue.
Old 03-30-2018, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,099 Likes on 805 Posts
A gaggle of MB's
PLEASE SEE OTHER THREAD

Please see the other thread - correct "fix" has been released to dealers - attached dealer re-programming instructions attached courtesy of Italian Joe - great guy
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SIRIUS 2015 C CLASS FIX.pdf (37.3 KB, 2262 views)
Old 10-28-2019, 12:44 PM

2009 E350 wagon
2009 wagon device unavailable message

I have been on the phone with Mercedes all morning regarding “device unavailable” They have no clue . Does anyone know if this software upgrade is system wide with all vehicles with satellite radio? And is this a no charge fix?

Last edited by Patty Simonson; 10-28-2019 at 12:46 PM. Reason: For got something
Old 11-01-2020, 02:54 AM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E350 4 Matic - 2016 C450 AMG - 1998 C230 - 1993 - 190E 2.3 8v
thank you

this worked

Originally Posted by Elbandito
This morning, I got to my car and when I turned it on, there was no sound coming from the speaker. The radio was on but I couldn't toggle the sound. When I switched to FM radio, or to my device that's plugged in (for music), it wasn't opening, and gave me a message saying "device unavailable." And, my Bluetooth would not connect. I tried restarting the car, to no success. I did a quick internet search and could not find any quick fixes. But upon further digging, I found that you can ?reset the command unit by holding down the EJECT button for 10-15 seconds. I did that and subsequently, my speaker started working. It was a mini panic attack I had. I didn't want to have to bring it into the dealership for something like this, and crisis was averted! I didn't see a thread on here for this specific problem, so if anyone ever comes across this issue, try what I did!
Old 03-05-2021, 05:51 PM

2014 Mercedes E350 Coupe
By EJECT button, I assume you mean to the CD player. Is that a correct assumption?
I have taken my car to the MB dealership many times for this issue. It seems to happen during extremely cold or hot weather.
The satellite radio was replaced once. One of the battery cables was disconnected and thought to be the issue the last time. The problem is always resolved temporarily, but it has never been completely fixed. It is frustrating.
Old 09-04-2022, 05:07 PM

cls 350
SAME ISSUES DIFFERENT DAY

I’ve experienced the same Symptoms as the original thread.. white lines, MB Logo coming on then the warning. My Navigation and Radio don’t work… but my reverse camera works perfectly!!

I’ve tried two other screens and no joy.
hold down the eject or power button for a master reset, didn’t work.

today I swapped the command system with my friends… exactly the same car only his is 2 years newer. As soon as the power lead was plugged in the radio came on.. however the joy lasted 5 seconds then a warning ⚠️ came on the screen [size=22px] “anti theft protection active”[/size]

I put my friends command unit back in his car and it worked fine.

I put my command unit back in and it started doing the same old **** (as above)

does this mean my command unit is fooked or will it need a software update?

Old 09-04-2022, 11:29 PM

Received 55 Likes on 48 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by SamiDee
I’ve experienced the same Symptoms as the original thread.. white lines, MB Logo coming on then the warning. My Navigation and Radio don’t work… but my reverse camera works perfectly!!

I’ve tried two other screens and no joy.
hold down the eject or power button for a master reset, didn’t work.

today I swapped the command system with my friends… exactly the same car only his is 2 years newer. As soon as the power lead was plugged in the radio came on.. however the joy lasted 5 seconds then a warning ⚠️ came on the screen [size=22px] “anti theft protection active”[/size]

I put my friends command unit back in his car and it worked fine.

I put my command unit back in and it started doing the same old **** (as above)

does this mean my command unit is fooked or will it need a software update?
That most likely means you need to change the whole unit bar the screen; when those are changed they need to be coded to your car so the anti theft feature doesn't kick in, some people with the right software might be able to do it for you for a bit cheaper than a dealership would.
Old 03-25-2024, 06:53 PM

2014 CL63
device unavailable

i had the same problem on my 2014 CL63. I did this and it worked perfectly, thank you very much.