C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Parking Brake warning

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-01-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2015 c300 4matic with sports package
Parking Brake warning

Hi, I turned on the car today, twice and each time, I got a red parking brake warning in the onboard computer display. It simply said Parking brake, see owner's manual. Both the red and the yellow parking brake symbol were light up. I manually release the parking brake, like I always do, and everything went away.

I looked up the manual, and there nothing about this message, only a beeping brake warning...
I read somewhere else that it could be the sensor that is too sensitive? The car did not moved for about a week prior to this issue.

Anybody got this?
Old 03-02-2018, 06:44 AM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
W205 C250
I’ve had this message several times over the last 3 years but without any obvious pattern, I guess the adjustment of the sensor is not perfect but not a big enough issue for me to complain about at service.
Old 03-02-2018, 12:19 PM

Today, it did not do it. I think it must be 'rusty' and now that I have used it more often, its start to work again, and its not stuck...I guess after sitting for a full week, it must have started to seize...
Old 03-03-2018, 02:57 AM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts
C350e
You get this message when your door is not correctly closed.
When you normally open the door when you go out it engages the parking brake.
But it won't disengage when the door(s) are not completely closed.
The message is stupid because it does not tell you, that the door is not correctly closed.
I had this a couple of times in the beginning when the door seals still had to settle.

Last edited by GerritKw; 03-03-2018 at 03:01 AM.
Old 03-03-2018, 04:53 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
W205 C250
Originally Posted by GerritKw
The message is stupid because it does not tell you, that the door is not correctly closed.
I had this a couple of times in the beginning when the door seals still had to settle.
Correct. Well spotted
Old 03-27-2018, 04:28 PM

Hi, the weird warning was gone for a few weeks, now its back. I took a picture. All doors were properly closed. I simply manually release the parking brake and the warning was gone after.

Old 03-27-2018, 04:57 PM

C350e
Uit sometimes happened to me that i was too quick putting it into drive. One time back to neutral and to drive and it was ok.

Might be that is the cause.
Old 04-01-2018, 06:44 PM

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts
2016 C450 AMG
Same thing happened on my '17 C300 in early June last year, I only had the car for 4 months from new and never let it sit for more than a day. When it happened, I drove to our shop (I'm a tech at a benz dealer) and did a quick test to check for faults, oddly there were none.... So I went to actuations for the emergency brake and engaged and disengaged it 20 or so times in quick succession. It's never happened again, so I'm not sure what the problem was to begin with.

But if it happens again, Don't touch anything else and try not to switch anything off or on, and get it towed directly to the dealership with dollys, NOT on a flat bed tow truck. That way the emergency brake can stay on and they can set it down right in the shop with the problem happening. The less the vehicle has been messed with when an oddball problem like this occurs, the easier it is for the technician to replicate, diagnose, and properly repair the problem. These weird issues are the hardest thing in the MB world to diagnose from a technicians point of view, because they don't happen on a normal basis and are incredibly hard to duplicate if they don't act up when we have the car.
Old 04-01-2018, 08:36 PM

C350e
Originally Posted by Tuner
But if it happens again, Don't touch anything else and try not to switch anything off or on, and get it towed directly to the dealership with dollys, NOT on a flat bed tow truck. That way the emergency brake can stay on and they can set it down right in the shop with the problem happening. The less the vehicle has been messed with when an oddball problem like this occurs, the easier it is for the technician to replicate, diagnose, and properly repair the problem. These weird issues are the hardest thing in the MB world to diagnose from a technicians point of view, because they don't happen on a normal basis and are incredibly hard to duplicate if they don't act up when we have the car.
I can understand that you would like to know the cause of this issue. But I don't think that people want to order a tow truck so MB can find out the issue while there is a simple way to bypass it.
Old 04-02-2018, 09:15 AM

Thanks for the update! I will talk to the service next time I go see them about this. I have a feeling it is doing it more often now.
Old 04-04-2018, 10:23 AM

I think I am closing in on the source of the issue. I have noticed that when the warning is lit, that the parking brake button is not full back to the normal position. It is like it was pushed it, but did not come all the way back to the normal position. It was hard to notice since every time, I was releasing the parking brake, I was just reaching for the button and pulling on it. I never noticed that small detail.
Old 08-16-2018, 09:36 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
2018 C63s Estate, 2017 gla 45 [Sold] 2017 smart 44 brabus sport [for the Mrs]
hi all, just resurrecting this issue here regarding this. On sunday when i set off from being parked up, i heard this horrible sound like chains are being dragged along the tarmac and then stopped the vehicle, turned it off and inspected the wheels, undercarriage and saw nothing that looks out of the ordinary. Opened up the engine hood and had a look there and everything looked normal. There were no error messages displayed at this time, but it looks to me like there was some damage to a vehicle part for it to be making any sort of scraping sound like that. When i turned the car back on, the sound was gone. On Tuesday morning when i started the car, i got my first error code being the "Parking Brake see owner's manual" with the parking brake icon flashing in the instrument cluster as per the video below which i shot

Took it to the dealer and they did really well to run diagnostics and do some software updates that same morning, so, hat's off to them. That said, they relied totallly on their computerised diagnostics etc and didnt really address the noise problem

No issues yesterday but the message was back this morning which is when i took the video.

I'm not too fussed about the warning message other than the fact that on sunday, there was some very awful sounding scraping noise. I may take it back to the dealer tomorrow. The car is 5 months old.
The following users liked this post:
Kimbo1984 (02-17-2024)
Old 08-16-2018, 09:40 AM

Originally Posted by right_mr
hi all, just resurrecting this issue here regarding this. On sunday when i set off from being parked up, i heard this horrible sound like chains are being dragged along the tarmac and then stopped the vehicle, turned it off and inspected the wheels, undercarriage and saw nothing that looks out of the ordinary. Opened up the engine hood and had a look there and everything looked normal. There were no error messages displayed at this time, but it looks to me like there was some damage to a vehicle part for it to be making any sort of scraping sound like that. When i turned the car back on, the sound was gone. On Tuesday morning when i started the car, i got my first error code being the "Parking Brake see owner's manual" with the parking brake icon flashing in the instrument cluster as per the video below which i shot
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0fB4ZeRYtw

Took it to the dealer and they did really well to run diagnostics and do some software updates that same morning, so, hat's off to them. That said, they relied totallly on their computerised diagnostics etc and didnt really address the noise problem

No issues yesterday but the message was back this morning which is when i took the video.

I'm not too fussed about the warning message other than the fact that on sunday, there was some very awful sounding scraping noise. I may take it back to the dealer tomorrow. The car is 5 months old.
My issue was simply that the parking brake button was not fully returned to the original position. I just pay attention to this, and the issue never came back.
Old 08-16-2018, 11:51 AM

Thanks for that. I have a feeling I have some damage to mine due to the very loud and awful sounding grinding that took place so I'll take it back in for a full check up.
in the meantime , I'll be sure to check the button seems to be fully engaged or disengaged , fingers crossed this makes a difference
Old 08-17-2018, 06:57 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
W 205 c220d 2018
Originally Posted by right_mr
Thanks for that. I have a feeling I have some damage to mine due to the very loud and awful sounding grinding that took place so I'll take it back in for a full check up.
in the meantime , I'll be sure to check the button seems to be fully engaged or disengaged , fingers crossed this makes a difference
Noise could be due to a stone stuck between the rotor and the back plate. I had it on mine and it sounded like a train taking a tight turn!.

Ernie

Old 01-10-2019, 01:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Gls 400
Originally Posted by ernieh
Noise could be due to a stone stuck between the rotor and the back plate. I had it on mine and it sounded like a train taking a tight turn!.

Ernie
Hi there, I am from europe and have the same issue with my new Gls. Dashboard shows me both the red and yellow parking brake warning, its lit up. I took it to my dealer and was told it can be some module which is located somewhere under the seat...they think maybe there some contact or cable problem. However, the brake is working manualy with no problem. What can be the issue? Thx
Old 01-11-2019, 03:48 AM

snap, had this issue again this morning. might be a dodgy sensor or something damaged somewhere. my dealer clearly hasn't resolved this. the warning initially appeared a few months ago and took 2 visits to be resolved but seems like it is back again . I'm not sure why it is happening
Old 06-24-2019, 11:48 AM

c class w205 estate
Did anyone find out what caused this? I have the same issue, I’ve checked the switch and that’s fine
i have a feeling it’s something to do with the door as I got a notification on my phone to say my door was open when it wasn’t
Old 07-03-2019, 01:06 PM

2018 GLC 43 AMG
What is the sensor that shows this error? Would it be the ABS sensor or harness? Mine is broke completely and needs to be replaced.
Old 07-31-2020, 01:36 PM

2018 mercedes AMG A45
2018 A45 AMG parking brake warning

2018 A45 AMG 😭😭😭😤Did anyone find out what caused this? I have the same issue I’ve checked the switch and that’s fine
i have a feeling it’s something to do with my electric brake please help l don’t know what to do with this yellow light and red light on my dashboard the car is driving alright smooth
I am starting to hurt Mercedes
Old 03-18-2021, 11:45 AM

Benz S550 2010 model
Originally Posted by GerritKw

I have an S550 2010, after changing the Airmatic and the breaks, the door was opened and I was not sitting on the driver's chair. I notice the hand brake is on and I pulled. The next morning and subsequent, this Parking Brake see operational manual started showing and I have stopped driving the car because I don't know how risky it is and I can find someone to help me rectify it. I am in Nigeria. What should I do
Old 05-03-2021, 12:12 PM

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
2003 E320
This article goes over the common causes. Thought someone will find it helpful.

https://www.youcanic.com/wiki/merced...manual-warning
Old 11-09-2021, 03:03 PM

Mercedes C300
Exclamation Parking Break on

l started my day normally. I got coffee and then went to drink it in a parking lot. In the parking lot, I had my car off and was on my phone drinking my coffee. After I finished I turned my car on, released the parking brake and when I started to drive my dash lit up red and said: "parking brake on". When it said that I quickly pulled into a new spot and tried to pull the break again, nothing was working. Does anyone know an easy fix to this problem? Or anything I can do?
(2010 Mercedes C300)
Old 03-24-2022, 05:52 PM
GLO

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts
W205 C250BT & R320cdi-L V251 (sold c220 cdi Elegance)
I had this issue and had to turn the car off and wait a minute, then start up as normal.

Hope it doesnt happen again!
Old 07-23-2023, 11:00 AM

2017 C43 amg mercedes

when the yellow and red parking light turns on and stays on this is the problem or similar to this ...it is electrical issue ...Ive been lied to about replacing the brake system...had a 2nd opinion ,they checked it on the diagnostic machine...found this this to be burnt out..replaced it..boom done!..$500