C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Flood damage but reparable

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-02-2018, 04:27 PM

Received 56 Likes on 45 Posts
EQC 4matic AMG line Premium Plus replacing S213 220d 4matic with airmatic
Flood damage but reparable

My 250d 4matic estate was caught in a flash Flood whilst parked Tuesday night. It was in freshwater no sewage but muddy run off from fields and probably stood in the water a couple of hours as it drained away.
The tide line seems to be around 60cm on the wall but about the height of the bottom of the main grill at the front with the rear being slightly less.
The carpets were wet and all sorts of error messages appeared the next morning when I went to examine it Inc do not change gear and take to workshop.
It was taken after 2 hrs of difficult work for the recovery driver who had to extract it with the brakes fixed on and at a 90deg angle to the tow truck.
My insurers have indicated it is repairable (it's value in my local market is around €32k). And my garage are instructed to proceed.
I have no idea as to the extent of repairs. What should I look to make sure is done. Do such repairs take a very long time? The car is due to be returned at the end of its lease on the 15th but my replacement e is delayed so I will probably be driving the repaired car for a few weeks but long-term it is not really my problem but I would not like any future owner to have issues.
Old 06-02-2018, 09:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,039 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
In our country the title would be amended to show the car was a flood car-----that alerts and suspecting schmuck that he has a major problem with the car---however I don't know what is done in a third world country.
Old 06-03-2018, 04:29 AM

As I say the cars market value is around 32000 euro. In my country we do have 2 categories of total loss vei and vgi which differentiate between those considered too severely damaged to be repaired safely and those where it is just a question of cost v value. Those too badly damaged cannot be legally sold and cannot subsequently be registered by a new owner as the records are marked accordingly.
taking a 70% figure as a likely value against salvage value gives about 23000 euro for possible cost of repairs. The water did not reach the seats so it is carpet and wiring and electric units on the floor only plus any exterior electrics like sensors and motors for the electric brakes . It was not running so hopefully no water in the engine or running gear. In some ways I am not surprised it is repairable.....but should they be replacing the brakes and wheel bearings? It has airmatic will any part of that system need attention?
does the fact a flood claim was made automatically get put on the vehicles title in the states even if the car is repaired and stays with the original owner?
we are a first world country I can assure you
the car is just 3 yrs old with 40000km on the clock.
Old 06-03-2018, 12:54 PM
XPS

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Golf
I can't believe he/she just assumed your country and called it "third world country". LOL
Old 06-03-2018, 12:59 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by parkwood
As I say the cars market value is around 32000 euro. In my country we do have 2 categories of total loss vei and vgi which differentiate between those considered too severely damaged to be repaired safely and those where it is just a question of cost v value. Those too badly damaged cannot be legally sold and cannot subsequently be registered by a new owner as the records are marked accordingly.
taking a 70% figure as a likely value against salvage value gives about 23000 euro for possible cost of repairs. The water did not reach the seats so it is carpet and wiring and electric units on the floor only plus any exterior electrics like sensors and motors for the electric brakes . It was not running so hopefully no water in the engine or running gear. In some ways I am not surprised it is repairable.....but should they be replacing the brakes and wheel bearings? It has airmatic will any part of that system need attention?
does the fact a flood claim was made automatically get put on the vehicles title in the states even if the car is repaired and stays with the original owner?
we are a first world country I can assure you
the car is just 3 yrs old with 40000km on the clock.
I suggest you sell the car if the insurance company does not agree to total the car. the MB has tons of sensors, it will be super headache if you keep the flood car.

can you ask your insurer give you a check instead of repairing? if so, you can just sell the damaged car at somewhere, you may save some money.
Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
It’s terrible that in 3rd world countries like yours they don’t cover flood damage.. you guys should hold the government responsible and overthrow the dictatorship.. I can’t believe they starve there own people.. try and get a visa to move to another country!
The following users liked this post:
RobbMeeX (06-04-2018)
Old 06-03-2018, 01:17 PM

Am glad to say it is actually on lease and was being returned 18th June but sadly it seems my replacement new car is delayed. I was hoping to keep it until my new e class arrived......
Am seeing the garage tomorrow so will try to get an idea of the extent of repairs and how long they think they will take.
I will very possibly be using it for a period so am anxious it comes back a1 plus I would hate someone else to sink hard earned money into a poorly repaired car.
i am getting the feeling many think a flooded car is never repairable....
Old 06-03-2018, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by XPS
I can't believe he/she just assumed your country and called it "third world country". LOL
did not like to say it was the land of cheese eating surrender monkeys. Vive la france😉!
Old 06-03-2018, 01:21 PM

C300
Am glad to say it is actually on lease and was being returned 18th June but sadly it seems my replacement new car is delayed. I was hoping to keep it until my new e class arrived......
Am seeing the garage tomorrow so will try to get an idea of the extent of repairs and how long they think they will take.
I will very possibly be using it for a period so am anxious it comes back a1 plus I would hate someone else to sink hard earned money into a poorly repaired car.
I agree, but the flooded car has so many issues, especially for the electronics
Old 06-03-2018, 01:22 PM

C300
no matter what, this flooded w205 will go back to the market
Old 06-03-2018, 01:25 PM

Originally Posted by Gungaslow
It’s terrible that in 3rd world countries like yours they don’t cover flood damage.. you guys should hold the government responsible and overthrow the dictatorship.. I can’t believe they starve there own people.. try and get a visa to move to another country!
ha ha I had one but my country is taking it away from me. I am a Brit living in la belle france thanks to my eu citizenship.....about to be stripped from me thanks to a bunch of ......I'll leave it there it's a car forum where I come to get away from the brexit crises.
Old 06-04-2018, 01:14 AM

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
did not like to say it was the land of cheese eating surrender monkeys. Vive la france😉!
Hey man that was uncalled for, this is a car forum and not a racist let’s-hate-on-the-french forum, cuz we could do the same to your country. If you don’t stop disrespecting the country that some may pride, you will be reported to the administration.
Old 06-04-2018, 02:35 AM

Sorry no offense intended it was a joke. I am a brit who has chosen to live in France and meant no offense to my chosen country just responding humerously to the suggestion I was in a third world country.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:45 AM

Received 87 Likes on 83 Posts
2017 C43 AMG Saloon
To get back on topic, parkwood's car is owned by the leasing company/ MB. If they are okay with taking back a flood damaged repaired car, there's nothing parkwood can do about it. Regarding the delay between turn in and the new car arriving, see if the dealership wouldn't let you drive it or give you a replacement. Else it looks like you're gonna have to find a stop gap vehicle. I'd suggest a 2CV or Renault 4. Those seem to be holding their value if you could find one in good nick.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:11 PM

Ok visited the garage today and emptied the car excluding the stuff in the boot (trunk) as the battery was disconnected and the tailgate cannot be opened.
The car smells a lot and was very damp internally it may have flooded more than I realised. No drying out has been done.
I have misinterpreted the insurers messaging on their website claim tracking facility. It is only that my garage is the appointed repairer not that they are instructed to repair. The insurers engineer visited this morning and is now looking at the repair costs but it is probably a total loss. I was told if cars flood to seat level here in france it is a legal requirement they are totalled. Mine is apparently borderline in that the seats are dry but my garage think it is too expensive and also undesirable to repair in any event. It has sunk heavily on the airmatic suspension especially on the front so that is probably damaged.
MB finance have also been in contact chasing the cars pre return inspection and said its lease could not be extended seemingly unaware of the damage despite the car being at their agents in a severely damaged stage since Wednesday....
new e as yet not built......despite the delivery date being 15th June from a Feb 21st order so a long wait ahead. Have a separate post on that.
will confirm if it is a total or not when known but my garage had no appetite to repair.
Old 06-04-2018, 03:16 PM

Originally Posted by guhvies
To get back on topic, parkwood's car is owned by the leasing company/ MB. If they are okay with taking back a flood damaged repaired car, there's nothing parkwood can do about it. Regarding the delay between turn in and the new car arriving, see if the dealership wouldn't let you drive it or give you a replacement. Else it looks like you're gonna have to find a stop gap vehicle. I'd suggest a 2CV or Renault 4. Those seem to be holding their value if you could find one in good nick.
Renault 4 are hard to find. Had a Renault 6 in the 80's complete with the dash mounted handle.....
but there are loads of deuch as they are known cost is high for what they are 8 to 10000 euro for a good runner. Friend was trying to get me to buy one he was doing up 4000 just for wreck then all the parts needed but great to see how they come apart. Bit of floodwater would not kill one of those!
Old 06-04-2018, 04:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 153 Likes on 118 Posts
2017 C43 sedan
I had a flooded car once.. I drove it into a swing pool when I was younger.. it dried out and never ran right afterwards..the best bart about it was I met some big titted hot girls in bikinis that were there... was the best thing I’ve ever done!!
Old 08-10-2018, 05:50 PM

Just to close this thread. The car was declared a total loss repairs costing more the 80% of the cars value.
It was going to be sold to salvage buyers by auction. I anticipate it will be broken up for parts rather than repair. All the body panels were a1 and the engine was undamaged. Internals had been tainted by several weeks sitting in the sun steaming away as no drying out had been completed. Some might be salvageable. At least no one is going to buy it via mercedes or other higher value dealer thinking it was a good car unaware it had been flood damaged and repaired. The history of ownership will record my insurers details putting a buyer on alert.
I am still waiting on my e class but have a 220d amg saloon on loan from the dealer.

Old 08-10-2018, 07:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43

A flooded car will have all sorts of gremlins (diablotin) that you will never get rid of. It's good this was a lease. At least you won't have to fight it out with the insurance adjusters.