C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2017 c300 car accident at fault and charged for something I didn't do.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-21-2018, 01:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 c300
2017 c300 car accident at fault and charged for something I didn't do.

I was involved in a car accident this month. I stopped for a car in front of me that had stopped for some reason. while stopped I was hit from behind. The impact pushed me into the vehicle in front of me which then drove off down the street when there was a ton of space to pull over. The car behind me was an older nissan altima. and the car in front was an ford edge. I have a 2017 mercedes c300. my car has the only real damage as my rear bumper is messed up and my hood and grill are destroyed. my car also has a safety feature called collision prevention assist plus. which in my option would never allow something like to do of had happen in the first place especially going only 20-30 mph.…

The third driver of the nissan altima told her insurance company (we both have the same company for insurance) that I slammed into the ford edge, and she ran into my vehicle.

the insurance companies are believing the person that hit me. while also adding that the person that I was pushed into said I hit them which im not sure how they would even know that at all.

Old 07-21-2018, 08:04 AM

Received 132 Likes on 111 Posts
‘15 C300 4M Sport, ‘20 GLC300
Sorry to hear about your accident. Hope everyone is OK. Did the cops show up and file a report?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:10 AM

2017 c300
they only filed a crash report which took down all the information of the drivers. des anyone know how I can go about accessing data on my car at the time of the crash like my speed at the time of impact?
Old 07-21-2018, 09:57 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
C300 W205, GLE300 W166
If you were the car in the middle, the person who initiated all contact(driver behind you, that hit you) is liable for all damage to other cars.
the police report would’ve identified who’s at fault, which any clear-minded officer would’ve realized it was the rear driver.
If your insurance is trying to claim you are liable for the front car, then sue the driver behind you for damages, if it comes down to that(which im pretty sure won’t, once insurance has all the information, -they will quickely realize who is liable)
I would review the accident report, and make sure your insurance company is on your side(they should be after hearing your side, and seeing the report), and they’ll fight out the logistics of making payments...

As far as crash data, i would assume it’s accessible from the dealer(for insurance purposes)?...might take some convincing to let you see/access that data...
Old 07-21-2018, 10:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic Sport
I've installed a dashcam for self protection in an event something like this happens to me. It has a built in GPS which shows my exact position and speed on a map as well as a high resolution picture of what's going on in front and a little to the side. There are some available that will record to the rear as well. Last year, on the interstate, a truck moved over into my lane and bumped my left rear fender, resulting in me fishtailing down the road prior to being able to stop. The dashcam clearly showed I was centered in my lane and doing the speed limit prior to the impact so there was no question as to who was at fault. These little cameras are inexpensive, easy to install, and, in my opinion, worth their weight in gold.

Last edited by Popoff; 07-21-2018 at 10:16 AM.
The following users liked this post:
ClassNSass (08-07-2018)
Old 07-21-2018, 10:54 AM

Originally Posted by Popoff
I've installed a dashcam for self protection in an event something like this happens to me. It has a built in GPS which shows my exact position and speed on a map as well as a high resolution picture of what's going on in front and a little to the side. There are some available that will record to the rear as well. Last year, on the interstate, a truck moved over into my lane and bumped my left rear fender, resulting in me fishtailing down the road prior to being able to stop. The dashcam clearly showed I was centered in my lane and doing the speed limit prior to the impact so there was no question as to who was at fault. These little cameras are inexpensive, easy to install, and, in my opinion, worth their weight in gold.
Which camera do u use?
Old 07-21-2018, 10:56 AM

One of the safety measures we use as UPS drivers is to always leave a car length space in front of you when stopped at a light. This way if rear ended you don’t hit the car on front of you or any pedestrians walking in front. Also gives you enough room to go around a stalled vehicle in front of you. Good Luck with your dilemma.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:10 AM

2017 c300
Originally Posted by A2thek
If you were the car in the middle, the person who initiated all contact(driver behind you, that hit you) is liable for all damage to other cars.
the police report would’ve identified who’s at fault, which any clear-minded officer would’ve realized it was the rear driver.
If your insurance is trying to claim you are liable for the front car, then sue the driver behind you for damages, if it comes down to that(which im pretty sure won’t, once insurance has all the information, -they will quickely realize who is liable)
I would review the accident report, and make sure your insurance company is on your side(they should be after hearing your side, and seeing the report), and they’ll fight out the logistics of making payments...

As far as crash data, i would assume it’s accessible from the dealer(for insurance purposes)?...might take some convincing to let you see/access that data...
my insurance is saying im at fault because both of the other two drivers have the same story no one is giving me the benefit of the doubt it seems and that seems wrong on all counts..... the police only did a crash report which had everyones information on it. the first thing she told the officer was that she couldn't afford to pay for this. I honestly believe that I am being scammed of both of the drivers as I am younger and was driving a newer car and am from what some could consider a wealthy area. ill even post a video of what basically happened.

this is what happened but I was on a normal small residential street with homes on both sides and the car in front of me came to a sudden stop for some unknown reason.
Old 07-21-2018, 11:15 AM

2017 c300
this video basically explains what happened but I was on a small residential street and the car in front of me came to a stop for some unknown reason

Last edited by lilpay; 07-21-2018 at 11:17 AM. Reason: forgot some words
Old 07-21-2018, 01:20 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2016 C300 4Matic Sport
KD links X1. It's been on the market for some time so there are probably new and improved units now available. I've had it about 18 months and it's been quite reliable.
Old 07-21-2018, 03:01 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts
2015 C300 sport
Originally Posted by lilpay
this video basically explains what happened but I was on a small residential street and the car in front of me came to a stop for some unknown reason
Sorry you got hit, but thanks for sharing this video -- useful information to keep in mind.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 263 Likes on 207 Posts
C450, GLC43
Originally Posted by lilpay
I was involved in a car accident this month. I stopped for a car in front of me that had stopped for some reason. while stopped I was hit from behind. The impact pushed me into the vehicle in front of me which then drove off down the street when there was a ton of space to pull over. The car behind me was an older nissan altima. and the car in front was an ford edge. I have a 2017 mercedes c300. my car has the only real damage as my rear bumper is messed up and my hood and grill are destroyed. my car also has a safety feature called collision prevention assist plus. which in my option would never allow something like to do of had happen in the first place especially going only 20-30 mph.…

The third driver of the nissan altima told her insurance company (we both have the same company for insurance) that I slammed into the ford edge, and she ran into my vehicle.

the insurance companies are believing the person that hit me. while also adding that the person that I was pushed into said I hit them which im not sure how they would even know that at all.
Unless you have a dash cam, both you and the vehicle that rear ended you will be found at fault.

If your account of events is true then you would have greater impact damage to the rear of your vehicle rather than the front.
Old 07-22-2018, 01:50 PM

2017 c300
deleted

Last edited by lilpay; 07-22-2018 at 01:59 PM. Reason: double post
Old 07-22-2018, 01:58 PM

2017 c300
Originally Posted by Mr. J
Unless you have a dash cam, both you and the vehicle that rear ended you will be found at fault.

If your account of events is true then you would have greater impact damage to the rear of your vehicle rather than the front.
I have a huge in-dent in my rear bumper and the main thing about my front in damage is the grill which is made from plastic and styrofoam. https://imgur.com/a/uu7un97
Old 07-28-2018, 07:55 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic
I'd threaten to sue both drivers for a list of things from damages to negligence to emotional damage...

I installed a dashcam after I got hit by an asian driver while I was parked to the side (dropping off someone at their house). I had the car for 3 weeks. It was a headache and took a longtime.
Old 08-07-2018, 12:14 PM

Received 26 Likes on 25 Posts
2016 C300 4matic
Originally Posted by A2thek
This is actually not the case in NY. I'm not sure where the OP is from but in NY you are responsible for the car in front of you. Regardless of how the accident initiated.
Old 08-07-2018, 03:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 178 Likes on 143 Posts
Mercedes-Benz E63s AMG
Can you post a better picture of the rear damage and also the front damage?