C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Can't remove lid to change D1S bulb

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-24-2018, 10:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
C250
Can't remove lid to change D1S bulb

Hello

First post long time reader.
​​​​​​
I am trying to upgrade my d1s bulbs but I cannot remove the lid, it just won't come off. Any ideas? Are the lids sealed on?

I havent taken of the bumper but my small hands have managed to fit down at the back of the light.

​​​​
Old 07-24-2018, 01:33 PM

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts
W205 C200d AMG Line
Hi,
D1S is a xenon bulb. W205 have LED or halogen lights, there is no xenon lights anymore. Your profile is showing only C250, but I think your is W204, so you will have to post it to dedicated forum.
Old 07-24-2018, 02:11 PM

C250
Originally Posted by damianw
Hi,
D1S is a xenon bulb. W205 have LED or halogen lights, there is no xenon lights anymore. Your profile is showing only C250, but I think your is W204, so you will have to post it to dedicated forum.
Hi
Thanks for the reply.
It's a W205 C250 Sedan/Saloon .

It's the main beam bulb that I need to change, Are you sure it's not a D1S? It has a ballast.

Attached an example of Headlight

The lid just below the ballast is what I can't get to open.

Old 07-24-2018, 02:29 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300
Originally Posted by Shaw90
Hello

First post long time reader.
​​​​​​
I am trying to upgrade my d1s bulbs but I cannot remove the lid, it just won't come off. Any ideas? Are the lids sealed on?

I havent taken of the bumper but my small hands have managed to fit down at the back of the light.
There is a large back cover behind the headlight. To remove, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or back, then you will see the cover in the wheel arch.. it should make the removal easier, but it is not recommended.~~

you may damage the seal and cause foggy light~ never DIY the OEM headlight~!

Why do you want to upgrade the OEM lights?
Old 07-24-2018, 03:24 PM

W205 C200d AMG Line
Hi again,
D1S is xenon light:

LED has also ballast but more this is control unit/module:

And this is how LED module look (low beam):

High beam is LED as well but do cannot find picture.
So why do you want to upgrade your lights?
Any Xenon bulbs will not fit there.
Do you have a High Performance LED or Intelligent LED on your car? Pictures you added are static led (high performance).
This is all types of head light installed in W205 before facelift:
Old 07-24-2018, 04:42 PM

C250

Hi again,
D1S is xenon light:

LED has also ballast but more this is control unit/module:

And this is how LED module look (low beam):

High beam is LED as well but do cannot find picture.
So why do you want to upgrade your lights?
Any Xenon bulbs will not fit there.
Do you have a High Performance LED or Intelligent LED on your car? Pictures you added are static led (high performance).
This is all types of head light installed in W205 before facelift:

Thanks for the details.
I have the LED Premium Package high performance

I went over a pothole then my driver side dipped beam went out. 'right dipped beam not working' happened 2 months ago same scenario but it worked again next day, its been 4 days and it hasn't come back on so I'm guessing it's finished.

Thought I'd solve the problem with a new d1s bulb
​​

Originally Posted by Otto Auto
There is a large back cover behind the headlight. To remove, turn the steering wheel all the way to the right or back, then you will see the cover in the wheel arch.. it should make the removal easier, but it is not recommended.~~

you may damage the seal and cause foggy light~ never DIY the OEM headlight~!

Why do you want to upgrade the OEM lights?
Looks like I was trying to remove something that's not even removable. I'm guessing it's underneath the light. Example pic attached.

The dipped beam is not working
Old 07-24-2018, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2017 C300

Thanks for the details.
I have the LED Premium Package.

I went over a pothole then my driver side dipped beam went out. 'right dipped beam not working' happened 2 months ago same scenario but it worked again next day, its been 4 days and it hasn't come back on so I'm guessing it's finished.

Thought I'd solve the problem with a new d1s bulb
​​

Looks like I was trying to remove something that's not even removable. I'm guessing it's underneath the light. Example pic attached.

The dipped beam is not working

Do not try to fix, I guess your car is not in the warranty, buy a used part, it is very cheap~ or upgrades to an aftermarket FULL LED headlight (no ILS) ~
Old 07-24-2018, 04:47 PM

C250
Do not try to fix, I guess your car is not in the warranty, buy a used part, it is very cheap~ or upgrades to an aftermarket FULL LED headlight (no ILS) ~
So I have to buy a new headlight 😩 crazy
Old 07-24-2018, 04:48 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2017 C300
So I have to buy a new headlight 😩 crazy
Buy a used part~~ cost around 200- 300
Old 07-24-2018, 04:54 PM

C250
Buy a used part~~ cost around 200- 300
Many thanks, will fish around .
Old 07-24-2018, 06:17 PM

W205 C200d AMG Line
Check this page:
http://www.catcar.info/mercedes/
This is the page that is showing car parts. This is not VIN based page so it will shows you all parts for all models (this specific one is for my car type 205.037 but it shows all parts for this model type even if it is not installed in my car) but you can choose your model type.
So generally there is only few option which can be replace (on VIN based option on this kind of soft/website it will shows you only parts which are installed on your car).
In my opinion you should go to dealer at least to do the car scan which will shows you which part is in failure. You do not have to buy and replace at dealer shop but at least you will have some info. It will not cost you a fortune.
Spare parts at dealer are quite expensive - we are talking about control modules or LED modules. There is nothing else to replace (maybe a bracket kit if broken or gaskets for modules and others).
One option is to replace a headlight as mentioned before, used part of course. I know that it sounds ridiculous but we are talking about spare parts which can cost almost the same money or even more. My only concern is LED color between both headlights - I had this situation with previous car which was Audi A4, depending of manufacturing year led diodes had a different color (not a big different but it was visible) and the best option when LED module was in failure (not spare part) was to replaces both headlights from the same car (talking about used part). I do not know how it is in Mercedes but something to consider.
Other option is to replace modules but personally I would not take the risk and replace one by one to see which is not working - it will cost more than used headlight.
LED should be a car lifetime but we all knows that it is only electronic part.
We all want to have LED lights which is modern, bright, powerful but on other side it is not a halogen or xenon bulb which is easy and low cost replacement. Car manufacturers are making a modules which sometime you can replace by spare part but sometime manufacture didn't prepare any option and full component has to be replace.I am happy with static lights as for me these are better than xenon lights and if something will happen I will pay anyway. But this is how manufactures are making money on spare parts after selling new cars underestimated price.
Another point which I remind myself is that for example in Audi, matrix led headlights are component protect and programmable. So w/o dealer you can only install a headlight but it will not be operational as long as dealer will not code it to the car (by VIN number thay connect to AUDI manufacture server in Germany) and adapt in headlight modules. Of course this is not free of charge. So this is making things complicated as hell. There is many components that are component protect and not easy swap able.
Good luck with solving the problem.
The following users liked this post:
Shaw90 (07-26-2018)
Old 07-26-2018, 04:20 AM

C250
Check this page:
http://www.catcar.info/mercedes/
This is the page that is showing car parts. This is not VIN based page so it will shows you all parts for all models (this specific one is for my car type 205.037 but it shows all parts for this model type even if it is not installed in my car) but you can choose your model type.
So generally there is only few option which can be replace (on VIN based option on this kind of soft/website it will shows you only parts which are installed on your car).
In my opinion you should go to dealer at least to do the car scan which will shows you which part is in failure. You do not have to buy and replace at dealer shop but at least you will have some info. It will not cost you a fortune.
Spare parts at dealer are quite expensive - we are talking about control modules or LED modules. There is nothing else to replace (maybe a bracket kit if broken or gaskets for modules and others).
One option is to replace a headlight as mentioned before, used part of course. I know that it sounds ridiculous but we are talking about spare parts which can cost almost the same money or even more. My only concern is LED color between both headlights - I had this situation with previous car which was Audi A4, depending of manufacturing year led diodes had a different color (not a big different but it was visible) and the best option when LED module was in failure (not spare part) was to replaces both headlights from the same car (talking about used part). I do not know how it is in Mercedes but something to consider.
Other option is to replace modules but personally I would not take the risk and replace one by one to see which is not working - it will cost more than used headlight.
LED should be a car lifetime but we all knows that it is only electronic part.
We all want to have LED lights which is modern, bright, powerful but on other side it is not a halogen or xenon bulb which is easy and low cost replacement. Car manufacturers are making a modules which sometime you can replace by spare part but sometime manufacture didn't prepare any option and full component has to be replace.I am happy with static lights as for me these are better than xenon lights and if something will happen I will pay anyway. But this is how manufactures are making money on spare parts after selling new cars underestimated price.
Another point which I remind myself is that for example in Audi, matrix led headlights are component protect and programmable. So w/o dealer you can only install a headlight but it will not be operational as long as dealer will not code it to the car (by VIN number thay connect to AUDI manufacture server in Germany) and adapt in headlight modules. Of course this is not free of charge. So this is making things complicated as hell. There is many components that are component protect and not easy swap able.
Good luck with solving the problem.
Thanks for all the helpful info.
The first thing I'm going to do is check whether or not I have warranty. I am the second owner of the vehicle, 2016 made . Maybe the warranty follows the vehicle and not the owner.

Thanks
​​​​​​
Old 07-26-2018, 07:28 AM

W205 C200d AMG Line
Hi,
I am second owner of my car as well. My car is 09.2015. I bought the car 02.2017 with 2 years warranty (from dealer). But my car was still under manufacturer warranty. I was told that it doesn't matter for the owner (1st, 2nd, 3rd). Car has 2 years manufacturer warranty. And even I had an extra 2 years given by dealer where I bought the car my car was still under warranty until 09.2017. Now I have dealer warranty until 02.2019. Of course this is only in situation that you were doing regular service at Mercedes workshop (authorized).
So you should go and check. I hope this will be fixed by warranty and not refused as this is element excluded from warranty.
Old 07-26-2018, 09:58 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

2017 C300
Hi,
I am second owner of my car as well. My car is 09.2015. I bought the car 02.2017 with 2 years warranty (from dealer). But my car was still under manufacturer warranty. I was told that it doesn't matter for the owner (1st, 2nd, 3rd). Car has 2 years manufacturer warranty. And even I had an extra 2 years given by dealer where I bought the car my car was still under warranty until 09.2017. Now I have dealer warranty until 02.2019. Of course this is only in situation that you were doing regular service at Mercedes workshop (authorized).
So you should go and check. I hope this will be fixed by warranty and not refused as this is element excluded from warranty.
if you are in the US, the warranty follows the car not the owner