C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Aftermarket Carplay/Mirrorlink box for W205

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-21-2018, 09:58 PM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
c400
Originally Posted by hmmwv
Is this the one that people have being buy?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-C8...35qn:rk:1:pf:0
I just bought one from Ben (sardincarusa@gmail.com - that's his email) for a little cheaper than what is listed on ebay today which i should receive tomorrow according to the tracking. I'll keep you guys updated!
Old 12-22-2018, 12:13 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Questions - answered!

I have one of these in my C450 with Comand (8.4" option):
To answer a few questions in this thread, from information I have gathered, (Sardincars SDN201 vs others).

1. Features - The Sardincar kit ads 3 features: CarPlay, Android Auto and screen mirroring -
Competitors: Unichip's aside from Carplay advertises ONLY 2 (CarPlay and Android Auto) and Naviplus's ONLY advertises CarPlay.
2. Cost - Sardincar is cheaper than both other options (NaviPlus ~$800 and Unichip ~$500) - add the need for OBD AUX activator option (for larger 8.4" Comand Option) on each and cost is +$200. So NaviPlus is ~$1,000 and Unichip ~$700. Comparatively, Sardincar's option is ~$400 (Audio20) or ~$500 (Comand APS) depending on your option.
3. Compatibility - SDN201 works for Audio20 and Comand APS System, 2017 and below with NTG5. Not the newer 5.1, not 5.2. Finding out whichever you have is easy. Enter your VIN at mbdecoder.com or datamb.com. Use the "Find in Page" / "Search" feature of your browser to quickly search for "NTG5". If you don't know what i mean with that, use the scroll wheel. If it says "NTG5" as with Option code 531 "COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5" and Code 522 "AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION CAPABLE NTG5" between 2015 and 2017 it's compatible. If you have NTG5.1 or 5.2, look for the cheap activator plugs online.
4. Other connections - you can add the following - A) AUX cable B) Front and rear external camera video signal C) Reversing camera D) Reversing camera power cable wire E) Additional ground cable. I.e if you want to add a reversing camera, you can. Even a front camera. There are two yellow plugs for video inputs.
5. Time and Tools required - Install requires the removal of the middle console trim. Remove one small trim piece with pry tool, two screws and you can lift the center console panel. Loosen two more screws and you got everything ready to go. You need a torx tool, pry tool and small flathead for install. If it's your first time removing the middle console it will take 1-2 hours to finish. Although it can be done in 45min or less for people that are more experienced.
6. Use - the Sardincar system maintains two separate interfaces. Turn on the car, and everything is stock. Press and hold one key on the steering wheel for 2 seconds and you enter the other interface. That way the dealer can't even see that you altered the system. This is great because you're not forced to use CarPlay or Android Auto. You choose.
7. Screen mirroring - works easily if you want to show the entire car a video from your phone. The sound goes through stereo, the picture is on the big screen. Although the video format is adjusted and the Mercedes screen isn't as High Definition as the phone. It sure is better that the WXGA 800x600 solution you get in practically every aftermarket radio bloated up on a bigger screen. A great feature if you want to entertain the whole car.
8. The Kit - if you order from sardincarusa@gmail.com you get the kit, plus the tools (torx screwdriver and pry toolset) and 17-page instruction set for install. Lots of detail. Extra fuses are also included, in case you blow one by accident. Ships same or next day USPS with tracking and 3 days later at your door.
9. Practical use Pro's - start your navigation on your phone - waze or maps, then plug it in. Very useful if you enjoy using either for directions, road warnings, reported cops etc. Keep in mind that there's no touch screen so navigating should be done while NOT driving. You can dictate messages and send it to contacts. You can use Siri. Good for longer road trips. Screen mirroring is great and apple music works too. Use the selector dial for selection changes. You can hide any wires behind the screen and tuck the lightning cable into the space between middle console trim and middle console. Practically hidden!
10. Practical use Con's - it takes some time to familiarize yourself with the system for efficient use. At first it seems tedious. Using the navigation takes a bit, yet again if you compare it to the built-in Mercedes Navigation it's about the same. If you feel that way the answer is simple - we're just so used so touch screens and our phones but if you compare it to previous interfaces its the same or better still. It froze on me once or twice, but nothing major. Restart and you're good. I found that most bugs i experienced were actually due to the Apple Car Play software (from Apple) not the interface. They went away as iOS 12 updates rolled out. So nothing major, but there it is.

After having it for about two months I'm glad I got it:
1. Even if you only use it from time to time consider this - you added CarPlay to a car that doesn't have it stock. As the car ages and loses value the kit will retain value as younger people with less income will want to buy this car from you later. Android Auto or CarPlay wil be "normal" for them. In other words, you'll see the majority of the money back later (in my opinion).
2. If you use Waze and slow down for a reported cop, half of this thing paid for itself because it saved you a speeding ticket
3. If you add a back up camera and avoid an accident this paid for itself
4. Its CarPlay - tell your friends, it's pretty cool
5. Screen mirroring - great if you need to entertain kids but want to do this as a family vs just handing them an iPad to play with. Watch a movie, show a video, sing together. Bam! Quality car time!

Sound worth while? Refer to #3 in case you skipped that one. Send your VIN to sardincarusa@gmail.com for a compatibility check.

Last edited by spyder2005; 12-22-2018 at 12:17 AM.
Old 12-22-2018, 01:15 AM

c400
Originally Posted by spyder2005
To answer a few questions in this thread, from information I have gathered, (Sardincars SDN201 vs others).

1. Features - The Sardincar kit ads 3 features: CarPlay, Android Auto and screen mirroring -
Competitors: Unichip's aside from Carplay advertises ONLY 2 (CarPlay and Android Auto) and Naviplus's ONLY advertises CarPlay.
2. Cost - Sardincar is cheaper than both other options (NaviPlus ~$800 and Unichip ~$500) - add the need for OBD AUX activator option (for larger 8.4" Comand Option) on each and cost is +$200. So NaviPlus is ~$1,000 and Unichip ~$700. Comparatively, Sardincar's option is ~$400 (Audio20) or ~$500 (Comand APS) depending on your option.
3. Compatibility - SDN201 works for Audio20 and Comand APS System, 2017 and below with NTG5. Not the newer 5.1, not 5.2. Finding out whichever you have is easy. Enter your VIN at mbdecoder.com or datamb.com. Use the "Find in Page" / "Search" feature of your browser to quickly search for "NTG5". If you don't know what i mean with that, use the scroll wheel. If it says "NTG5" as with Option code 531 "COMAND APS NTG5/NTG5.5" and Code 522 "AUDIO 20 RADIO NAVIGATION CAPABLE NTG5" between 2015 and 2017 it's compatible. If you have NTG5.1 or 5.2, look for the cheap activator plugs online.
4. Other connections - you can add the following - A) AUX cable B) Front and rear external camera video signal C) Reversing camera D) Reversing camera power cable wire E) Additional ground cable. I.e if you want to add a reversing camera, you can. Even a front camera. There are two yellow plugs for video inputs.
5. Time and Tools required - Install requires the removal of the middle console trim. Remove one small trim piece with pry tool, two screws and you can lift the center console panel. Loosen two more screws and you got everything ready to go. You need a torx tool, pry tool and small flathead for install. If it's your first time removing the middle console it will take 1-2 hours to finish. Although it can be done in 45min or less for people that are more experienced.
6. Use - the Sardincar system maintains two separate interfaces. Turn on the car, and everything is stock. Press and hold one key on the steering wheel for 2 seconds and you enter the other interface. That way the dealer can't even see that you altered the system. This is great because you're not forced to use CarPlay or Android Auto. You choose.
7. Screen mirroring - works easily if you want to show the entire car a video from your phone. The sound goes through stereo, the picture is on the big screen. Although the video format is adjusted and the Mercedes screen isn't as High Definition as the phone. It sure is better that the WXGA 800x600 solution you get in practically every aftermarket radio bloated up on a bigger screen. A great feature if you want to entertain the whole car.
8. The Kit - if you order from sardincarusa@gmail.com you get the kit, plus the tools (torx screwdriver and pry toolset) and 17-page instruction set for install. Lots of detail. Extra fuses are also included, in case you blow one by accident. Ships same or next day USPS with tracking and 3 days later at your door.
9. Practical use Pro's - start your navigation on your phone - waze or maps, then plug it in. Very useful if you enjoy using either for directions, road warnings, reported cops etc. Keep in mind that there's no touch screen so navigating should be done while NOT driving. You can dictate messages and send it to contacts. You can use Siri. Good for longer road trips. Screen mirroring is great and apple music works too. Use the selector dial for selection changes. You can hide any wires behind the screen and tuck the lightning cable into the space between middle console trim and middle console. Practically hidden!
10. Practical use Con's - it takes some time to familiarize yourself with the system for efficient use. At first it seems tedious. Using the navigation takes a bit, yet again if you compare it to the built-in Mercedes Navigation it's about the same. If you feel that way the answer is simple - we're just so used so touch screens and our phones but if you compare it to previous interfaces its the same or better still. It froze on me once or twice, but nothing major. Restart and you're good. I found that most bugs i experienced were actually due to the Apple Car Play software (from Apple) not the interface. They went away as iOS 12 updates rolled out. So nothing major, but there it is.

1. Even if you only use it from time to time consider this - you added CarPlay to a car that doesn't have it stock. As the car ages and loses value the kit will retain value as younger people with less income will want to buy this car from you later. Android Auto or CarPlay wil be "normal" for them. In other words, you'll see the majority of the money back later (in my opinion).
2. If you use Waze and slow down for a reported cop, half of this thing paid for itself because it saved you a speeding ticket
5. Screen mirroring - great if you need to entertain kids but want to do this as a family vs just handing them an iPad to play with. Watch a movie, show a video, sing together. Bam! Quality car time!

Sound worth while? Refer to #3 in case you skipped that one. Send your VIN to sardincarusa@gmail.com for a compatibility check.
quick question. How do you activate the screen mirroring on iphone with this kit?
Old 12-22-2018, 10:47 PM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
W238
Originally Posted by richysh
quick question. How do you activate the screen mirroring on iphone with this kit?
Did it come in from Ben? How long did it take? Pictures please ty
Old 12-22-2018, 11:18 PM

c400
Originally Posted by eggsandbacon

Did it come in from Ben? How long did it take? Pictures please ty
Yes and I haven't gotten it but I actually chose faster shipping option by paying a little more to get it before christmas. It's arriving monday
Old 12-23-2018, 04:01 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
W213 E220D -17

I bought directly from sardincar and only got a very rudimentary and generic 1-page instruction. So a bit curious what your 17-page instruction says in terms of hiding the box itself?
Old 12-23-2018, 05:41 PM

c400
Originally Posted by davkar
I bought directly from sardincar and only got a very rudimentary and generic 1-page instruction. So a bit curious what your 17-page instruction says in terms of hiding the box itself?
If you send an email to that email address, sardinusa, he should be able to send you the instruction. His name is Ben.
Old 12-24-2018, 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by richysh
press one specific button on the steering wheel for 2-seconds, use scroll wheel to select the screen mirroring function. Done
Old 12-24-2018, 05:12 PM

Originally Posted by davkar
The easiest spot for placement is behind of the carpeting on the passenger side. This also allows easy access. Just pull down the carpeting and the driver side and place box on the center portion, where there is less foam. Use some bubble wrap, or something else that is soft to prevent rattling. Pull up the carpeting again. A small eighth of an inch gap may remain. However this is not really noticeable, if you do it correctly. There is also a spot behind the trim pieces on the left and right side of the middle Consol. However it is difficult as you have to remove several pieces to gain access to this area. I recommend the carpeted area.
Old 01-22-2019, 10:12 PM

Firmware Update

Apparently there's a firmware update to the boxes, Hardware Version 08.16 ONLY, which eliminates issues some users previously experienced! sardincarusa@gmail.com has new boxes available for those of you that still want to add the CarPlay, AndroidCar and Screen Mirroring features to their car.
Old 01-27-2019, 04:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
w205
I bought the Version 08.16 hardware. Some problem I found with this unit is that the manufacturer shortened the ground wire. The steering wheels controls do not work, google maps freezes every time I try to switch apps, and Siri does not work, @spyder2005 @richysh How is the audio quality in your unit?
Old 02-12-2019, 06:24 PM

Mercedes C300 Sedan 2015
Post Wireless OEM Carplay

My friend just bought a BMW that has wireless Apple Carplay & ever since I've been wanting to add wireless Apple Carplay to 2015 C300. Based on my research, the closest thing available to OEM is this: Aftermarket Wireless OEM Apple CarPlay Retrofit Mercedes C Class W205 GLC X253 15-17 NTG5 Car Play Interface with Reverse Camera .They also an installation video.

My car already has a backup camera and comes with a with Comand (8.4" option) and does NOT have an AUX option. This means that I may have to use a USB to AUX converter.

I've never bought anything from this website before and will let you know how it goes when i get the item.
Old 03-05-2019, 12:58 PM

C300h 2016
Hi Eldi, Did you already receive/install this unit ?

Regards,
Ruud
Old 03-22-2019, 08:19 AM

W205
@Eldi: I contacted the seller and they told me that it is not possible to use an aux to USB converter (soundcard) to make it work. Did you tried it already by yourself?

Or probably anybody else?

Thanks!
Old 04-19-2019, 01:01 AM

Mercedes C300 Sedan 2015
It took a LONG time but I finally received it and attempted to install but for some reason there is no sound at all... Not even when I switch back to the OEM menu and look use CD or radio. I know I need to enable AUX with an OBD but why is this not letting sound through the OEM head unit when I want to use the radio or the OEM maps. Also the mic is not picking up any sound. I triple checked that the mic is plugged in to AUX IN and the USB is in AUX OUT.
For now, I can confirm a few things for those that are wondering.
1. OEM reverse camera works great.
2. I got Android Auto to work with my friends phone(the option is in the menu you can choose android auto or screen mirroring) but you have to plug your phone in the USB and it's not wireless. Also the controls for it are not mapped & the only thing I can do is switch between apps by rotating the dial.
3. I found the mic placement in their installation video to be... well ugly lol. So I was able to stick it behind the screen and you can't even notice it. Also I did't have to run it through like they did in this video.
4. Apple Carplay looks great on the big screen (still no sound & mic is not working) but during a test drive I noticed that the screen went completely black for a while & the device restarts. I wonder if this is happening because its over heating. Anyway this solution is by far the best option and as close to OEM as possible. I just have to work out some kinks.
Old 04-20-2019, 10:11 AM

There is a wireless version (by JoyEAuto) of the CarPlay AND (wired) Android Auto version available now. I tried it and it works well! No need to plug in your lightning cable anymore. There's an ebay auction here: https://www.ebay.com/itm/303121978375 , however you can message the seller directly for a discounted price (no ebay fees): djfrestyler@aol.com. Include you VIN number for exact pricing. Price is ~$500-$600, depending on your Screen option

Also, SardinCar has a newer cabled version (also CarPlay and Android Auto) available which works 10x better than the old version too. A friend has that in his C-Class and that also works great! It's a bit cheaper than the wireless version ~$425. You can message a US reseller for that version at sardincarusa@gmail.com
Old 04-21-2019, 08:44 PM

1973 450 SL and 1998 SL 500, 560SL, 2013 SL550 Edition 1
I’m looking for carplay on my 2013 SL550
Old 04-21-2019, 08:46 PM

1973 450 SL and 1998 SL 500, 560SL, 2013 SL550 Edition 1
Will this work on a 2013 SL550
Old 06-20-2019, 12:04 PM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
on sardincar website, it listed 360 degree camera (optional).
if i using the stock menu interfaces, will my 360 degree camera still works like before?
Old 06-26-2019, 10:16 PM

Update - June 2019

Wired -
New SardinCar module - "2019". Works with 360 degree camera now too.
PROs:
  • Easy install
  • Reliable connection
  • Has CarPlay and Android Auto
  • Good install instructions
  • Uses OEM microphone
  • Cheaper than wireless version
  • Default starts in MB menu

Wireless - contact - djfrestyler@aol.com

PROs
  • No need for wired connection
  • Fast charge w/10W+W charger + USB-C-Lightning cable
  • Good install instructions

CONs
  • Occasionally loses connection
  • Have to install an extra microphone
  • More expensive than wired version
  • No Android Auto - only mirroring
  • Have to install an external microphone

Works for 2015-2018 W205 models. Install is easy. Takes 1-2 hrs. Tools and detailed instructions are included for either if you contact the emails above. US resellers made their own instructions. Makes it easy. Good luck!
Old 06-27-2019, 04:46 AM

Received 72 Likes on 66 Posts
2003 C320 coupe/c450 in Feb 2016
you forgot the CONS for Sardincar.
mount the carplay / android box near passenger left leg area. that area look damaged. do you really want your Mercedes to look cheap?

Pros for Joyeauto
on their youtube video, they claim the carplay / android box mount behind the head unit. much better.
Old 06-27-2019, 05:44 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
C Class W205 (2015)
Can we just mount Sardincar's box somewhere behind the head unit? Does it fit somewhere in there like others do? I am still trying to decide between the available solutions and products, but one main reason I would go for Sardincar is they use the OEM microphones which is a big plus for whoever talks a lot in the car, those OEM microphones have impeccable sound on the other end, with noise cancelling. And I talk a lot in the car.
Old 06-27-2019, 08:05 AM

Installation of boxes

I’ve installed both boxes in my car. Neither of the boxes fit behind the head unit without spending 1hr+ Rearranging all wiring. There’s no room.

Secondly, why would you want to do that? There’s enough space behind the trim panel above the carpeting in the passenger foot well to hide the box in, regardless of which one you pick. This makes the box accessible, for any future updates. The box is still hidden.

Most importantly, the wired connection is 100% reliable. There’s a reason why some old-school people still believe in wired versus wireless. Reliability.
The following users liked this post:
nevrozel (06-27-2019)
Old 06-27-2019, 08:15 AM

C Class W205 (2015)
I’ve installed both boxes in my car. Neither of the boxes fit behind the head unit without spending 1hr+ Rearranging all wiring. There’s no room.

Secondly, why would you want to do that? There’s enough space behind the trim panel above the carpeting in the passenger foot well to hide the box in, regardless of which one you pick. This makes the box accessible, for any future updates. The box is still hidden.

Most importantly, the wired connection is 100% reliable. There’s a reason why some old-school people still believe in wired versus wireless. Reliability.
I see, I thought the box would be visible. If it is hidden that's fine by me. If it uses the OEM microphone, I believe that quality is exactly the same, can you confirm this?
Old 06-27-2019, 08:26 AM

C Class W205 (2015)
Does anyone know of any EU Sardincar reseller?
The following users liked this post:
Marian Stroiu (08-24-2020)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Aftermarket Carplay/Mirrorlink box for W205