C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

c300 (w205) Plug & Play Full LED Headlight Conversion

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-29-2018, 10:04 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2016 Mercedes c300 (w205)
c300 (w205) Plug & Play Full LED Headlight Conversion

I am driving a 2016 c300 (w205). When I purchased this model I was not aware of the LED light upgrade, which as many of you know is not good because once I figured this out I was already stuck with the not so attractive halogen lights. I was not too happy with them and wanted that more luxurious look, which led me to purchasing and installing some H-7 6000k LED bulbs. While these were bright, the casing for the lights still looked cheap and did not do this car any justice.

I set out in search of LED headlamp units to replace the whole fixtures but was only able to find used MB factory LED lights which won't work with the stock halogen models without some extensive coding. I gave up and just settled for LED bulbs set up. That only lasted 8 months until the itch came back around after seeing several w205 models driving around with the LED headlamps. I had to have them. I went on eBay and my prayers were answered!

I found a company called Otto Auto selling plug & play full LED conversion fixtures with everything needed for $1,300 USD. I was stoked!! I thought it might be to good to be true so I had several conversations with them before making the purchase. I felt comfortable with it being through eBay and having the buyer protection so for some reason I was being scammed, it would be okay. I paid the $1,300 USD and waited anxiously for UPS to arrive for 5 days.

Just pulling them out of the box to inspect them, I was impressed with the quality and craftsmanship that went into making these. They were pretty spot on appearance wise. Now came the more difficult part, the install! I am by no means an auto expert or anything so I had been nervous about trying to do this myself but I wanted to give it a try because it seemed do-able. I was pretty surprised at just how easy it ended up being to install both fixtures. Took about 2 hours to do both, minus the rookie move of dropping a few screws into the skid plate under the car. After everything was cleaned up and put back, I tried them out and was beyond impressed at the appearance. It was an instant facelift for my car! The DRL start up blue then turn to the bright white light, just like the high end Intelligent Lighting System (ILS). The blinkers were bright and the headlights were beyond bright! The only things that were different between these and the real ones from MB is the real ILS will throw light in the direction you turn the wheel, whereas these are stationary but still wide angle. The ILS will also have both low/high bulbs on at night but the sensors and cameras will have them adapt to their surroundings so oncoming drivers are not blinded, whereas these lights function like normal low/high and the high bulbs are only on if you turn them on. Those are not a big deal to me because to install all of the cameras and sensors and go to MB to have the real ILS installed, that would cost a small fortune ha.

After using them for 2 months with no problems, my right blinker stopped working. I thought maybe a wire was loose so I tried unplugging the unit and replugging it back in. This didn't fix it so I emailed Otto Auto and they informed me that it sounded like I had a bad control unit. They sent me a new control unit to install immediately. The next day I noticed that the inside of the headlight fixture was filling with moisture and developing condensation internally as well as my DRL flickering bad. I emailed Otto Auto again to inform them of this issue and they were very helpful. They told me to return the control unit they sent once I get it because they are sending me a whole new right headlight fixture. All they asked is that when I install the new light, to remove the old control units from the previous fixture and send them to the office for inspection.

Easy installation again and the headlight worked perfect! No more issues at all. When I removed the old control units, I noticed that 1 our of the 3 units was corroded bad on the inside. Upon further inspection, the seal to the headlight had separated in a spot which caused the headlight fixture to fill with moisture and that caused the control unit to short circuit. It was one of those rare fluke things because my left side headlamp has given me no problems at all and is still perfect!

I am very understanding that things happen and Otto Auto is on that same page. They were beyond helpful and willing to do whatever it took to make this situation right and find out what went wrong. That said a lot to me about how they value customers and conduct business.

All of that being said, if you are wanting to upgrade your stock halogen light fixtures to the awesome and attractive LED models, Otto Auto is the way to go! The plug and play simplicity of their product, perfect appearance, spot on functionality, and proper customer service makes this worth every penny! They have actually dropped the price down to $1,200 USD so it's an even better deal. This is just one happy customer trying to give a fair review to anyone else that was stuck in the same spot as me with the halogen lights.

Otto Auto on eBay

Before w/ Stock Halogen

No Lights

DRL

Low Beams

High Beams

Low Beams

Low Beams

Low Beams

Hazards

High Beams

High Beams

High Beam

Faulty Control Unit
The following 4 users liked this post by sbass91:
CaterFlodid (08-10-2022), Highway (09-01-2021), JohnnyG7 (08-17-2019), sixmarch (10-20-2019)
Old 08-30-2018, 03:17 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2015 C300
Thanks for the great review, I am waiting for my lights to be delivered, and will give all the seals good check before installing the lights.
Old 08-30-2018, 03:34 PM

I did that when my replacement unit arrived and it looked great! I just got unlucky with that first one I had. From what I've experienced so far, you should be golden!
Old 08-30-2018, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Navychief8
Thanks for the great review, I am waiting for my lights to be delivered, and will give all the seals good check before installing the lights.
I did that when my replacement unit arrived and it looked great! I just got unlucky with that first one I had. From what I've experienced so far, you should be golden!
Old 09-01-2018, 11:28 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2017 C300
Thank you so much for supporting Otto Auto!

our product link is : https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...otto-auto.html
Old 09-11-2018, 11:38 PM

Black W205 Base 4Matic, Premium 2 Package
Looks great! Now all you have to do is replace the tail lights to LEDs.
Old 03-22-2019, 11:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by BareQs
has anyone done this yet??
I have the Depo ones and they work great.
The following users liked this post:
Cilo C Class (10-13-2019)
Old 03-24-2019, 09:57 PM

C300
so wait you did both front and back?
I did the Depo led tail lights first with no issues for over 2 months so far. The headlights are the ones that gave me the issue. Not made by Depo though.
Old 03-25-2019, 08:23 AM

C300
can you link me to the taillights ?

And did the dealership tell you the cost to replace your SAM?
Not yet, going in today, wish me luck.

Link to Depo full LED tails:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Fits-15-18-...ry!91605!US!-1
Cilo C Class (10-06-2019)
Old 03-25-2019, 09:09 AM

C300
The LED bars aren’t as bright as the OEM, but look still look great. Lens is of good quality that looks just like factory lights. Favorite part is the reverse LED, which is brighter than my headlights!!
Old 05-16-2019, 07:47 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
C300 sedan w205
Price

Unfortunately they raised the price $400 since last year. Sticking with the halogen.
Old 06-10-2019, 02:10 PM

Received 12 Likes on 6 Posts
C300
Originally Posted by Jessev
used purchased a 2017 c300 4 door but not happy with the standard lighting. Any company out there they have led unit upgrades
I bough mine one year ago from Otto Auto. Here is the link: https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-w...otto-auto.html
Old 09-23-2019, 12:05 AM

2015 C300
So I was e-mailing some ali express stores for the same thing, and found a couple places selling these drop in replacements

for quite a bit cheaper. For instance this store assures me this is drop in replacement from original halogen headlights. All LEDS included etc. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32898065133.html for US $1,037.40. I sent him pictures of my headlights to confirm.

My main concern is that the one from otto auto, as well as all of these other ones are missing the side reflectors that come on the American and Canadian cars. Circled in the picture I attached.

Isn't this kind of like, illegal? I know its not required for EU or Asian driven cars....but in America im pretty sure you're supposed to have them, right?

Old 05-02-2020, 08:30 AM

2015 C300
LED DRL right side is not working

Hi guys! The LED DRL on the right hand side on w205 2015 C300 stopped working 2 days after it rained. I got some water drops/fog inside the headlight which made the DRL flicker and the turn signal stopped working. A day after the turn signal is working fine and when I start the car the DRL blue light come on For a couple of seconds but the white never comes on. So at this point it seems that everything in the headlight is working except the white LED DRL. After reading and researching, it seems to me that it’s a controller issue and hopefully a controller replacement will fix it, but there’s 3 controllers on the headlight and I’m not sure which one I should get.

I tried finding a phone number for Otto auto but didn’t find one so I emailed them twice but no reply..

does any one here knows which controller I should get? Or if it’s actually a controller issue?

thank you!!
Old 05-31-2020, 06:14 PM

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
2017 C300
Originally Posted by Hussain Madani
Hi guys! The LED DRL on the right hand side on w205 2015 C300 stopped working 2 days after it rained. I got some water drops/fog inside the headlight which made the DRL flicker and the turn signal stopped working. A day after the turn signal is working fine and when I start the car the DRL blue light come on For a couple of seconds but the white never comes on. So at this point it seems that everything in the headlight is working except the white LED DRL. After reading and researching, it seems to me that it’s a controller issue and hopefully a controller replacement will fix it, but there’s 3 controllers on the headlight and I’m not sure which one I should get.

I tried finding a phone number for Otto auto but didn’t find one so I emailed them twice but no reply..

does any one here knows which controller I should get? Or if it’s actually a controller issue?

thank you!!
I have also been trying to get ahold of otto auto via email for a couple weeks now in regards to making a purchase, and no response.
Old 07-19-2022, 12:45 PM

W205 220d bluetec
Led for w205 220d 2015 year

Hello, sorry for my English, I have a w205 220d with halogen lights, I want to change to LED, I can see that here on the forum, others have changed from halogen to LED from Otto auto.
Can you tell me where I can buy these lights, I searched on AliExpress but found nothing, I live in Northern Ireland, and I can't buy anything here.

I will be grateful for your help . Regards

Old 08-10-2022, 05:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
MB ML250
I would have liked to replace the entire units as well, but found it's a little costy for me, so I just bought some H7 led bulbs to upgrade. But I'm really satisfied with the results these led bulbs gave me, They are much brighter...with a neutral white rather than the obnoxious blue-white bulbs from other makers, and they reach out farther with better clarity, really do a very good job of Illuminating the road.

Old 02-04-2024, 08:20 AM

2018 C300 4 matic
Hi,
I pickedup Beamtech 1:1 .Ill try to install today 6500 K 12000LM 60W Xenon White Halogen .I understand the 1:1 bulbs are quite easy to replace!.Thoughts? Yes I understand this is a older thread.
Thank You in Advance
Lee

Last edited by LeeYac; 02-04-2024 at 08:30 AM. Reason: content and spelling