C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Burmester ruined by software update!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2018, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E 300 4matic
Unhappy Burmester ruined by software update!

3 Weeks ago my 2015 C300 4matic went in for 2 recalls one of which was an audio update. I never had any issue nor complaints about my audio system (Burmester premium). From the moment the car was returned to me it sounded terrible: stations with static, dropping stations, overall sound quality etc..

Back and forth to the dealer to no avail. Could a fuse have blown? Could an incorrect software update for my Burmester unit be the issue? I’ve noticed in other threads there is some variation in the units depending on when it was built. My car is April 2015.

I am going to bring it to the selling dealer; I went to a dealer close by first. Not happy.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Fix?

Thanks Jack

Old 08-30-2018, 05:17 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
If they updated the software for your audio system and immediately after that your audio system is not functioning properly, then it is software problem. Either the update wasn't compatible with your audio system (unlikely as they would check your VIN to verify the update was applicable) or the software update didn't install properly would be what I would suspect. I would NOT suspect a blown fuse. Software updates do not blow fuses. Any third party stuff wired into your audio system that could cause a potential conflict? Did they explain to you or document on your receipt what the audio update was supposed to correct?
The following users liked this post:
NarraJack (08-31-2018)
Old 08-30-2018, 06:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by PaulE550
If they updated the software for your audio system and immediately after that your audio system is not functioning properly, then it is software problem. Either the update wasn't compatible with your audio system (unlikely as they would check your VIN to verify the update was applicable) or the software update didn't install properly would be what I would suspect. I would NOT suspect a blown fuse. Software updates do not blow fuses. Any third party stuff wired into your audio system that could cause a potential conflict? Did they explain to you or document on your receipt what the audio update was supposed to correct?
The update campaign was to remedy the issue that affected many people with the satellite radio locking up the system, after all the workarounds and figuring out the best solution, they made it a service campaign so EVERY car that has the affected audio system gets updated, whether it actually had the issue yet or not. It's not a "recall" as it's not safety, but it's to be done the next time the car hits a dealership so all the cars will have the newer software as soon as possible.

It should NOT negatively affect anything about the system, it has mainly to do with memory management and background processes that were causing the systems to lock up, it should not affect the amp or anything that makes it sound bad. I'd take it back to the dealer and ask them to fix whatever issue is present now.
Old 08-30-2018, 07:48 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
2015 E550 Coupe
Thanks Joe for explaining what the software update was for. Yes, if it is just a memory management patch to fix some sort of background process runaway resulting in a lock-up state of the audio system, there would be nothing there that impacts either the radio's tuner code or any signal frequency tracking code.

From what OP was describing it sounded like it might be related to possibly static generation from the tuner not locking on stations properly or some sort of slight signal drift resulting in weak or lost stations, However, the software you described wouldn't touch those electronic components. So I would agree his best bet is to take the car back in to be checked out.
NarraJack (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 09:47 AM

E 300 4matic
Thanks for the replies. I did take it back to the dealer a few times my svs guy said sounds OK to me etc.. Unwilling to reinstall the update or examine, until I called the svs manager and an appt was made. The foreman looked at the work performed and said all was done correctly. I did push him to have another look and he did appear to make some attempt as I saw him at his computer array checking things...

I requested the update be reinstalled. They refused. (That was my first guess too, something didn't complete).

I want to bring it to the dealer where I purchased the car, my concern is that they will say we will not reinstall because Mercedes will not reimburse them. I suspect that may be the same reason the dealer that messed it up is refusing as well. Just wish I never had it done.

Never been much of a complainer but this is driving me nuts!
Old 08-31-2018, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2015 C300, 2014 Audi A6, 2016 BMW 528i
Originally Posted by NarraJack
3 Weeks ago my 2015 C300 4matic went in for 2 recalls one of which was an audio update. I never had any issue nor complaints about my audio system (Burmester premium). From the moment the car was returned to me it sounded terrible: stations with static, dropping stations, overall sound quality etc..

Back and forth to the dealer to no avail. Could a fuse have blown? Could an incorrect software update for my Burmester unit be the issue? I’ve noticed in other threads there is some variation in the units depending on when it was built. My car is April 2015.

I am going to bring it to the selling dealer; I went to a dealer close by first. Not happy.

Anyone else have a similar issue? Fix?

Thanks Jack
I picked up my 2015 C300 yesterday evening from the dealer, they did the software updates and addressed the recalls. This morning my touch-pad is unresponsive. I didn't use it between picking up the car and driving home yesterday. Just called my service agent, will update later.
Old 08-31-2018, 11:23 AM

E 300 4matic
Ken: That is not unusual, that actually happened when my update was done. At least that was corrected by them, but I understand you can do it yourself from one of the prompts under vehicle. I guess you can if you wish disable and enable the swipe feature. No biggie.
Kenneth Abdul (08-31-2018)
Old 08-31-2018, 02:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 992 Likes on 764 Posts
2003 CL 600
Originally Posted by Kenneth Abdul
I picked up my 2015 C300 yesterday evening from the dealer, they did the software updates and addressed the recalls. This morning my touch-pad is unresponsive. I didn't use it between picking up the car and driving home yesterday. Just called my service agent, will update later.
Turn it back on. Part of the software change adds the option to turn it off. Go into system settings and find the option for the Touchpad, it will be unchecked. Select it, and it will start working again.