C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

2019 C Series Cabriolet Manual Shift Weirdness

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-14-2019, 07:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C300 cabriolet
2019 C Series Cabriolet Manual Shift Weirdness

I have a 2019 C series Cabriolet. Probably the first one delivered to Canada just over a year ago. I like paddle shifting, but the system seems to over-ride what I want. It upshifts when I want to rev high, but worse, it goes out of manual (M) into automatic (Drive) after less than a minute of steady driving. I'm wondering if the early software needs modifying. Anyone have any thoughts?
Old 11-14-2019, 08:15 PM

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
That's normal. Manual mode will revert to Automatic after 10 seconds with no shift paddle input by the driver.

On my 2016 at least, you can program the *Individual Dynamic Select setting for Manual transmission mode. Once that's done you can select the Individual mode to keep the car in manual shift and it will stay that way until the next time you shut off the car and restart.
Old 11-15-2019, 02:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,817 Likes on 2,551 Posts
2019 C63CS
There are two manual shifting modes. Temporary and Permanent. Temporary mode is engaged by pulling one of the shift paddles, but as stated above after a certain amount of inactivity it automatically reverts back to automatic shifting. Permanent mode on non AMG models can only be engaged via the Individual mode as stated above. Set up the Individual mode with the transmission setting in manual mode and then activate the Individual mode and the transmission should stay in manual shifting mode until you change to another drive mode or turn off the car. AMG models have a manual transmission mode button on the center console and the function can also be put on one of the programmable steering wheel buttons of the AMG Drive Unit, so manual shifting mode can be permanently engaged from any mode. Also for non AMG models, even if you are in manual shifting mode, the transmission will automatically upshift as you reach higher rpms closer to redline. AMG models on the other hand have a true manual mode and they won't upshift and instead let you run into the rev limiter like a car with a traditional manual transmission.

Last edited by superswiss; 11-15-2019 at 02:58 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Ron P Baker (11-15-2019)