C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Ticking/rattling noise while driving S205 C-180

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2020, 03:41 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
S205
Ticking/rattling noise while driving S205 C-180

Hi guys,

Greetings from the Netherlands!

I own a S205 C-180 with the 1.6l engine and i have since a few months a ticking/rattling noise while driving. It's very loud. I hear the sound with a cold and with a warm engine.
When you release the gas pedal the sound is gone.

I bought my car as an occassion with 2 years warranty. I took it to the dealer and they said the noise is comming from the high pressure full pump, but the are telling me that the sound is normal.
I told them that the sound wasn't there whene i bought te car, but the say that the pump is fine. They have checkt it at the computer.

What can i do? Is this sound comming from the high pressure full pump or is it something else?

Here is a video:
Old 04-01-2020, 03:55 PM

Received 83 Likes on 71 Posts
C400
I don't hear anything

does the sound increase and decrease with RPM? Does it do it in all gears?
Old 04-01-2020, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
Dont do anything. You said the car is under warranty so get them to fix. Its weird when the car is under warranty everything becomes normal or normal wear 😂. Is it true the 180 has a Renault engine?
Old 04-02-2020, 06:02 AM

S205
Originally Posted by GringoBling
I don't hear anything

does the sound increase and decrease with RPM? Does it do it in all gears?
It's hard to hear in the video. Yes, it increases and decreases with RPM. Yeas, in al gears.
Old 04-02-2020, 06:08 AM

S205
Originally Posted by Andy74
Dont do anything. You said the car is under warranty so get them to fix. Its weird when the car is under warranty everything becomes normal or normal wear 😂. Is it true the 180 has a Renault engine?
Only the diesel has a Renault enigine. The gas engine is Mercedes and i have the gas engine.

They refuse to fix it because the pump doesn't show any errors at the computer. But the sound is horrible. I found some same cases with W205 with this sound and Mercedes replaced the pump.
But my dealer refuses to replace it.

Only the diesel has a Renault enigine. The gas engine is Mercedes and i have the gas engine.

What can i do?
Old 04-02-2020, 11:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by arjan-s205

They refuse to fix it because the pump doesn't show any errors at the computer. But the sound is horrible. I found some same cases with W205 with this sound and Mercedes replaced the pump.
But my dealer refuses to replace it.

What can i do?
Who cares what the computer says?? If you are hearing noises that you did not hear before then they need to fix the car no matter what their computer says. Ask to see the manager take him for a ride. Go somewhere quite and get him to hear the noise. If no luck talk with the head office. Seek help from local customer protection authorities. Your country has the highest tax in the world. The government should at least protect and support you. What kind of an answer is that: the computer says there is nothing wrong with the car???
Old 04-03-2020, 05:33 AM

S205
Who cares what the computer says?? If you are hearing noises that you did not hear before then they need to fix the car no matter what their computer says. Ask to see the manager take him for a ride. Go somewhere quite and get him to hear the noise. If no luck talk with the head office. Seek help from local customer protection authorities. Your country has the highest tax in the world. The government should at least protect and support you. What kind of an answer is that: the computer says there is nothing wrong with the car???
I have talked to the manager of the establishment but he just says its normal.
After that i have send a complaint letter to the head office, but they just send the letter to this manager and he send a letter back with explanation that its normal.

I will try to make an appointment with an other another location of this dealer. Maybe i can convince them to fix the car.

Old 04-03-2020, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
I have talked to the manager of the establishment but he just says its normal.
After that i have send a complaint letter to the head office, but they just send the letter to this manager and he send a letter back with explanation that its normal.

I will try to make an appointment with an other another location of this dealer. Maybe i can convince them to fix the car.
Strange dealer. Ok maybe you can try another location but my question is doesn't your country has customer protection authorities? I live on Beirut, Lebanon where we virtually dont pay income taxes. I had an issue with my dealer not accepting to fix my sunroof under warranty. They received a phone call from the customer protection authority which gave them 24 hrs to start fixing the car or pay a very heavy fine, and then go to court. The car was fixed ASAP. Please dont be soft with dealers.
Old 04-03-2020, 03:31 PM

2016 W205 C220d Touring
This might be a very stupid comment, still i wanna post it since you always should exclude the most obvious reasons before getting into the deepth.
If the noise only occurs while you are driving ... are you sure there is no wheel nut loose. A loose wheel nut can for sure give you some strange sound. I have encountered this myself, and I have several friends been through the same experience ...
Old 04-03-2020, 04:39 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by sjoblom
This might be a very stupid comment, still i wanna post it since you always should exclude the most obvious reasons before getting into the deepth.
If the noise only occurs while you are driving ... are you sure there is no wheel nut loose. A loose wheel nut can for sure give you some strange sound. I have encountered this myself, and I have several friends been through the same experience ...
Good comment but he mentioned that the noise disappears when he releases the gaz pedal.

Last edited by Andy74; 04-03-2020 at 04:43 PM.
Old 04-03-2020, 04:47 PM

S205
Strange dealer. Ok maybe you can try another location but my question is doesn't your country has customer protection authorities? I live on Beirut, Lebanon where we virtually dont pay income taxes. I had an issue with my dealer not accepting to fix my sunroof under warranty. They received a phone call from the customer protection authority which gave them 24 hrs to start fixing the car or pay a very heavy fine, and then go to court. The car was fixed ASAP. Please dont be soft with dealers.
Yes, very strange dealer. No, the only way is to sue them and then go to the judge.
Maybe i can complain at Mercedes Netherlands. But i don’t think they wil do anythink, because i don't have factory warranty but 2 years occasion warranty from the dealer.

Old 04-03-2020, 04:49 PM

S205
Good comment but he mentioned that the noise disappears when he releases the gaz pedal.
I don’t think thats the solution.
I just have changed the tires from winter to summer tires and still have the noise. I really believe the sound is coming from the high pressure full pump.

Last edited by arjan-s205; 04-03-2020 at 05:27 PM.
Old 04-04-2020, 07:26 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Yes, very strange dealer. No, the only way is to sue them and then go to the judge.
Maybe i can complain at Mercedes Netherlands. But i don’t think they wil do anythink, because i don't have factory warranty but 2 years occasion warranty from the dealer.
Your car is under warranty wether factory or not. Give MB Netherlands tell them how disappointed you are with this dealer. Make sure you emphasis that there is something wrong with the car and the dealer is not fixing it and run away by staying its normal. Tell them that something might happen while driving the car which will put you and your family in danger. Make sure to say that the sound was not there when you bought the car and that your lawyer asked for an official letter from MB confirming their rejection to fix a car under warranty. You need to move from the Netherlands 😂

Last edited by Andy74; 04-04-2020 at 10:19 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 04:35 AM

S205
Thumbs up

Your car is under warranty wether factory or not. Give MB Netherlands tell them how disappointed you are with this dealer. Make sure you emphasis that there is something wrong with the car and the dealer is not fixing it and run away by staying its normal. Tell them that something might happen while driving the car which will put you and your family in danger. Make sure to say that the sound was not there when you bought the car and that your lawyer asked for an official letter from MB confirming their rejection to fix a car under warranty. You need to move from the Netherlands 😂
You are right mate, but its my word against theres.
I have made an aportiment for next week to a other location of the dealer. Hopefully with succes.
Otherwise i will complain at Mercedes-Benz Netherland.

Thanks for the tips and i wil let you know what they have done

Last edited by arjan-s205; 04-06-2020 at 05:50 AM.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:44 AM

Received 24 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 C 300 4MATIC
You're probably hearing the fuel injectors. Direct injection engines produce a loud rattling noise similar to diesels. Look up the noise on Youtube.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by DoorHandle_LED
You're probably hearing the fuel injectors. Direct injection engines produce a loud rattling noise similar to diesels. Look up the noise on Youtube.
If this is the case, how come these noises suddenly appeared, they were not there when he purchased the car?
Old 06-16-2020, 10:35 AM

S205
Hi guys,

I just wanted to let you know that the problem, after 6 months, has finally been resolved. I I took my car to another dealer and they told me that some kind of a connection of the vacuum hose was broken.
It was tied with a tie wrap I thank the mechanic has broken it and never told so. Very disappointed at my one dealer.

The following users liked this post:
GringoBling (06-16-2020)