C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Headliner rattle; any solutions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-08-2020, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43 4Matic
Unhappy Headliner rattle; any solutions?

Earlier this week I installed a three-channel dashcam in my 2017 W205. Doing so necessitated running a cable from the rear windshield to the front of the cabin to connect the rear-facing camera. After doing so, I've been hearing a rattling noise from the back of the car when driving on bumpy roads, driving at high speeds, and going over and speed humps. I fear that I may have separated part of the headliner from the roof of the car, since I had to pry on the edge of the headliner pretty hard since the rear camera is not directly wired to the cable, but instead uses a connector (about the same size and dimension as a 2.5mm audio jack).

When I push on the headliner from below, there is a small but noticeable gap between the headliner and roof. This gap exists in the area between the rear half of the panoramic sunroof and the rear windshield. However, I have no idea if this gap existed before, or only after I installed the dashcam. It's worth noting that nowhere else in the headlining is there any gap between the headliner and roof when I push on it.

Does anyone know if I may have broken something, and if there's any way to resolve the rattling noise? I have tried disconnecting the connector for the rear camera, and will see tomorrow after driving if it was just the connector (which is a harder rubberized plastic than the cable) making the noise, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the headliner. I tried doing some research on the W205's headliner, but there don't seem to be any tutorials or videos explaining how it's attached to the car. But from what I can see on the part itself, there seem to be two white plastic clips of some sort near the rear. When I put my fingers between the headliner and roof, there doesn't seem to be anything broken (unattached) inside.
Old 06-09-2020, 09:33 AM

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
W205, X253, C190, W213,
You might get some tips here:

https://mbworld.org/forums/mbworld.o...d.php?t=785421
Old 06-10-2020, 07:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,495 Likes on 987 Posts
No more MB:(
Looks like you will need to take it to the dealer.
Old 06-10-2020, 04:10 PM

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C300
You just need to reattach the two clips you’re talking about slides back and forward might be a little tuff

QUOTE=myscrnnm;8076653]Earlier this week I installed a three-channel dashcam in my 2017 W205. Doing so necessitated running a cable from the rear windshield to the front of the cabin to connect the rear-facing camera. After doing so, I've been hearing a rattling noise from the back of the car when driving on bumpy roads, driving at high speeds, and going over and speed humps. I fear that I may have separated part of the headliner from the roof of the car, since I had to pry on the edge of the headliner pretty hard since the rear camera is not directly wired to the cable, but instead uses a connector (about the same size and dimension as a 2.5mm audio jack).

When I push on the headliner from below, there is a small but noticeable gap between the headliner and roof. This gap exists in the area between the rear half of the panoramic sunroof and the rear windshield. However, I have no idea if this gap existed before, or only after I installed the dashcam. It's worth noting that nowhere else in the headlining is there any gap between the headliner and roof when I push on it.

Does anyone know if I may have broken something, and if there's any way to resolve the rattling noise? I have tried disconnecting the connector for the rear camera, and will see tomorrow after driving if it was just the connector (which is a harder rubberized plastic than the cable) making the noise, but I'm pretty sure it's coming from the headliner. I tried doing some research on the W205's headliner, but there don't seem to be any tutorials or videos explaining how it's attached to the car. But from what I can see on the part itself, there seem to be two white plastic clips of some sort near the rear. When I put my fingers between the headliner and roof, there doesn't seem to be anything broken (unattached) inside.[/QUOTE]
Old 09-20-2021, 08:53 PM

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
2017 C300
I'm also hearing a rattle that fits your description, but I haven't messed with the headliner by installing a dash cam. I do feel a noticeable gap near the headliner and the rear windshield. There is some play with it, but I am not sure if this is causing the issue.

Were you able to resolve this at all?
Old 09-21-2021, 01:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C300 sedan
I have the same rattle issue after a shop installed front and rear dashcams. Took it to the dealer and said headliner clips on rear are not connected to the brackets. Gave estimate of $1,100 to replace headliner. Took it back to shop for warranty work. They weren't able to really fix it. I'm dealing with the annoying noise. I'm thinking of taking it to a body shop to get it over with
Old 09-21-2021, 12:14 PM

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
C300, CLK320(sold)
Two sided heavy duty velcro tape should fix that!
The following users liked this post:
Clint Davis (10-05-2023)
Old 09-21-2021, 04:40 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
AMG C43 4Matic
Originally Posted by DYC300
I'm also hearing a rattle that fits your description, but I haven't messed with the headliner by installing a dash cam. I do feel a noticeable gap near the headliner and the rear windshield. There is some play with it, but I am not sure if this is causing the issue.

Were you able to resolve this at all?
I ended up stuffing bits of foam in there and it resolved the issue with the headliner. However, I get rattles around the B-pillar, the top of the front windows, the front passenger airbag area, the steering column, the COMAND display, and the center console. I've had my Mercedes dealership try to resolve the problems, but they keep coming back.
Old 09-23-2021, 12:44 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 C300 sedan
Hmm, I'll try the foam out. And the rattles appear everywhere in time. Issue with these models
The following users liked this post:
Clint Davis (10-05-2023)