C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

w205 vacuum tap

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-27-2020, 04:51 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
MERCEDES C300
Question w205 vacuum tap

Hey everyone. I first want to apologize if I am adding another thread to this forum that may have already been covered. I was having trouble finding what I was looking for.
I have a 2015 c300 and I have an exhaust cutout on the way to try out. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the vacuum lines or a diagram that would help me determine where to tap into.
Thank you in advance!
Old 07-28-2020, 04:28 AM

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts
2019 CLS450 (C257)
Originally Posted by MATTPEREZ39
Hey everyone. I first want to apologize if I am adding another thread to this forum that may have already been covered. I was having trouble finding what I was looking for.
I have a 2015 c300 and I have an exhaust cutout on the way to try out. I was wondering if anyone had any knowledge of the vacuum lines or a diagram that would help me determine where to tap into.
Thank you in advance!
The easier way is to tee into the nipple (circled in green), the harder method is to buy a boost tap/adaptor to fit into the pressure sensor (circled in red).

Old 07-29-2020, 01:28 AM

MERCEDES C300
Thanks so much for the reply man, I appreciate it! Do you have any insight into tapping into power from the front cigar lighter? Mostly wondering which color wire I need to tap to power my valve switch
Old 07-29-2020, 06:07 AM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
Thanks so much for the reply man, I appreciate it! Do you have any insight into tapping into power from the front cigar lighter? Mostly wondering which color wire I need to tap to power my valve switch
you should look at your fuse box and find the one for switched power.

https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/mer...e-diagram.html

Old 07-29-2020, 02:12 PM

MERCEDES C300
Originally Posted by dagger22
you should look at your fuse box and find the one for switched power.

https://knigaproavto.ru/shemy/en/mer...e-diagram.html
The kit that I am receiving today has the tap included I think, something that looks similar to the attached image. In this case I will not need to mess with any fuse right?

Old 07-30-2020, 10:58 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W205 2015
The easier way is to tee into the nipple (circled in green), the harder method is to buy a boost tap/adaptor to fit into the pressure sensor (circled in red).
Sorry this question but why tap a vacum line for a exhaust cut out? Is that cut out work by vacum to activate?

Old 07-30-2020, 06:23 PM

Received 131 Likes on 85 Posts
2016 C300W4 (W205), Luxury Pkg, Diamond Silver Met. and Silk Beige\Espresso Interior
Originally Posted by W205PR
Sorry this question but why tap a vacum line for a exhaust cut out? Is that cut out work by vacum to activate?
Yes. The divertor that directs exhaust flow is a vacuum actuated unit.
Old 10-01-2020, 05:57 AM

MERCEDES C300
hey dagger sorry to call you back to an old post.. I was wondering if I need to tap into the bottom nipple that is more in the circle of the photo you posted to me or if I can tap into the one slightly up and to the left of it as it is much easier to tap
Old 10-01-2020, 08:57 AM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
hey dagger sorry to call you back to an old post.. I was wondering if I need to tap into the bottom nipple that is more in the circle of the photo you posted to me or if I can tap into the one slightly up and to the left of it as it is much easier to tap
not sure which other location you are referring to though... is it the one before the throttle body?
Old 10-01-2020, 06:17 PM

MERCEDES C300
not sure which other location you are referring to though... is it the one before the throttle body?
Just the other nipple that is like an inch up and to the left of the one circled in green, the green line of the circle is going through the nipple I am referring to. Only because I think I would have a much easier time accessing the vacuum line coming from that nipple
Old 10-01-2020, 10:13 PM

MERCEDES C300

wanted to insert a picture to clarify which nipple I am referring to. I added a red arrow pointing to it. The tubing coming out of that nipple that the red arrow points to seems to be a harder pipe like tubing rather than softer hose. I am not sure how easy it is going to be for me to tap into it based on how sturdy it felt, but the one underneath which you have circled in green seem so difficult to get to. I'm not sure what to do to be honest.. =\

Last edited by MATTPEREZ39; 10-01-2020 at 10:16 PM.
Old 10-01-2020, 10:32 PM

2019 CLS450 (C257)

wanted to insert a picture to clarify which nipple I am referring to. I added a red arrow pointing to it. The tubing coming out of that nipple that the red arrow points to seems to be a harder pipe like tubing rather than softer hose. I am not sure how easy it is going to be for me to tap into it based on how sturdy it felt, but the one underneath which you have circled in green seem so difficult to get to. I'm not sure what to do to be honest.. =\
ah, I got it. the one that you pointed to only takes a vacuum feed, not sure if there is a check valve built in. the one i circled reads both vacuum and pressure.
Old 10-02-2020, 03:38 AM

MERCEDES C300
ah, I got it. the one that you pointed to only takes a vacuum feed, not sure if there is a check valve built in. the one i circled reads both vacuum and pressure.
since I am just trying to get a source of vacuum to activate the flap when I flip my switch inside would that work for me? If I was installing a boost gauge I would for sure want to tap into the bottom one I imagine. I hate to ask so many basic question but I can't seem to find a lot about the w205 c300 with the c43 and c63 turning up in a lot of the searches I have tried given the enthusiasm around them more so than a c300.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:20 AM

MERCEDES C300
Hey again dagger, I have been doing some research and it would seem that a lot of people who need to tap into their intake manifold do so by actually drilling or punching a hole in their intake manifold to add a port. Most people who do this do so because their intake manifold doesnt have an extra port or they cannot access tubing easily enough to T tap into one (this is the case for me, too tight of a space and taking the part off would seemingly take lot of work) So let me know what you think about my idea of carefully drilling a small hole in my intake manifold where I put the red X and screwing a brass nipple into that with a small amount of epoxy on it to keep it sealed and secure.
Old 10-03-2020, 12:56 AM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
Hey again dagger, I have been doing some research and it would seem that a lot of people who need to tap into their intake manifold do so by actually drilling or punching a hole in their intake manifold to add a port. Most people who do this do so because their intake manifold doesnt have an extra port or they cannot access tubing easily enough to T tap into one (this is the case for me, too tight of a space and taking the part off would seemingly take lot of work) So let me know what you think about my idea of carefully drilling a small hole in my intake manifold where I put the red X and screwing a brass nipple into that with a small amount of epoxy on it to keep it sealed and secure.
yes that is definitely possible and easy to do.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:32 AM

MERCEDES C300
yes that is definitely possible and easy to do.
I think that will be my approach. I'm gonna use a wood bore tip to slowly shave off the the majority of the way through and then from there I think I will heat a thin blade to cut around the diameter of the hole and hopefully remove it as one piece. I have also heard of some people using a lubed or greased bit while slowly drilling to allow the shavings to stick to the lube or grease when drilling aluminum intakes. I think the same thing would work for me. I'm not sure which to do. Any suggestions? by the way, I really appreciate your guidance thus far
Old 10-03-2020, 05:43 AM

2019 CLS450 (C257)
I think that will be my approach. I'm gonna use a wood bore tip to slowly shave off the the majority of the way through and then from there I think I will heat a thin blade to cut around the diameter of the hole and hopefully remove it as one piece. I have also heard of some people using a lubed or greased bit while slowly drilling to allow the shavings to stick to the lube or grease when drilling aluminum intakes. I think the same thing would work for me. I'm not sure which to do. Any suggestions? by the way, I really appreciate your guidance thus far
i’d recommend removing the screws holding the intercooler (i think its 3 or 4) and move it forward, then remove the throttlebody.

you should be able to stuff a rag in to prevent any possible shavings/debris into the intake tract.

i still believe in doing it once and doing it good. If some plastic shavings drop into the intake, it may not pose any issues (fingers crossed).... but just the thought of it, i’d just try ways to prevent it from even happening.
Old 10-03-2020, 05:46 AM

MERCEDES C300
i’d recommend removing the screws holding the intercooler (i think its 3 or 4) and move it forward, then remove the throttlebody.

you should be able to stuff a rag in to prevent any possible shavings/debris into the intake tract.

i still believe in doing it once and doing it good. If some plastic shavings drop into the intake, it may not pose any issues (fingers crossed).... but just the thought of it, i’d just try ways to prevent it from even happening.
that is a good idea. I would imagine it will only add about 20 minutes onto the job and I much prefer to do a job once and to do it correctly as well haha
The following users liked this post:
dagger22 (10-03-2020)
Old 10-03-2020, 06:27 AM

MERCEDES C300

I just went out to look at the car and removing the air cooler and throttle body might not be possible for me to do with my limited tools, experience, and lack of work space. I would not say I am going to wing it necessarily but I think I may just try my original idea and be very careful. Do you think that melting through that last thin layer of plastic would be a safer bet that trying to cut it out?

edit: not to mention I can't find any instructional videos online about removing the throttle body or air cooler in the w205 =\
Old 10-04-2020, 07:30 PM

MERCEDES C300
To follow up, I had great success tapping into the recessed circle that is on the top of the intake manifold. I used a low power hand held cordless drill and SLOWLY shaved off each layer off plastic until I broke through. I used a vacuum on high power and a narrow nozzle to suck directly next to the bit when breaking through to make sure no plastic would fall inside. The tapping point fits a 1/4" NPT (closer to half an inch in diameter)pretty nicely and I used a 7/16 drill bit to make the hole for it. It was slightly challenging to get the NPT into the drilled 7/16 hole as it was barely too small. I used a pair of needle nose, spinning them while closed in the whole to expand it very slightly. The exhaust flap works fast and without any issue. I will edit with some photos tomorrow during the day. Thanks to @dagger22 as you have been my main source of information and helped me feel more confident about doing it myself.
The following users liked this post:
dagger22 (10-04-2020)