C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

12.5" IPS Screen 8 core Android 10.0 Android Screen with built in Carplay 4G

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 12-05-2020, 04:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
AMG C43
OBD Aux

For those who aren't really interested in the USB AUX solution. You can activate AUX using OBD-II, if your head unit is NTG 5. I had already done this for my existing CarPlay proxy box. That had AUX IN wired into the harness. I had hoped the Android screen harness had AUX IN wired as well, but it appears it does not. I will wire it in to the back of the head unit as shown in the link page. There are many sellers of this similar product. The link just happens to be NaviPlus.
https://www.naviplus.com.au/online-s...lass-p96719021

I saw on Discord that people talked about using a USB DAC to improve audio. I wonder about the AUX out quality of the unit. I will have to see how that sounds.

I wonder if I need an RCA extension for this. Since it goes in the back of the unit I am hoping it isn't needed.

@BenzDude thanks for the info. I found the video from Flex very informative.

My unit is supposed to arrive Monday. Cheers, Jay
The following users liked this post:
benzdude (12-05-2020)
Old 12-06-2020, 01:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 345 Posts
2015 C300 4Matic Sport
I can confirm that the Dragonfly Red DAC works with the 12.5 screen.

(A USB DAC can be used if you don't like the sound quality of the provided 3.5mm AUX out cable)

The Dragonfly Red is connected to the yellow USB cable and then to the included USB AUX box, using a short 3.5mm stereo to stereo cable.

The Dragonfly Red volume can be adjusted using the android volume control in settings. (Also make sure you have latest Dragonfly Red firmware)

I set my display volume to about 100% to match the Mercedes Bluetooth volume level when I switch back and forth.

I will be testing Tidal later as the Dragonfly Red can process MQA (Master quality) tracks for Tidal.

Tidal is having an issue displaying properly on the 12.5 inch screen, need to debug.

Last edited by benzdude; 12-07-2020 at 10:46 AM.
Old 12-07-2020, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Tidal plays, but doesn't fit the screen properly. The application menu is hidden, but I can still get it to play by pressing down on my controller and hitting enter.

This loads a random playlist and plays over wifi. The sound quality is amazing.

Last edited by benzdude; 12-07-2020 at 01:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
jdubya01 (12-07-2020)
Old 12-07-2020, 09:10 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
W205
Originally Posted by benzdude
I can confirm that the Dragonfly Red DAC works with the 12.5 screen.

(A USB DAC can be used if you don't like the sound quality of the provided 3.5mm AUX out cable)

The Dragonfly Red is connected to the yellow USB cable and then to the included USB AUX box, using a short 3.5mm stereo to stereo cable.

The Dragonfly Red volume can be adjusted using the android volume control in settings. (Also make sure you have latest Dragonfly Red firmware)

I set my display volume to about 100% to match the Mercedes Bluetooth volume level when I switch back and forth.

I will be testing Tidal later as the Dragonfly Red can process MQA (Master quality) tracks for Tidal.

Tidal is having an issue displaying properly on the 12.5 inch screen, need to debug.

Your connection seems to be Android --> DAC -->USB_AUX-->OEM_USB. The conversion is A to D to A to D. If you go through two Analog, I do not understand why you get the better quality.
Old 12-08-2020, 01:04 AM

AMG C43
This is the video NaviFly has for wireless CarPlay in the Android 10 units. Didn't show anything about hotspot tethering.

Old 12-08-2020, 02:56 AM

AMG C43
@benzdude
I received my unit and just like you no instructions. Where's the challenge when they provide instructions?
I think from all the info you posted and Flexx install video should be doable.

You never mentioned if you had too use the microphone provided. Did you need to use that?
I decided to go with USB AUX. Haven't decided to go with DAC yet.

Thanks. Jay
Old 12-08-2020, 11:32 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by jdubya01
@benzdude
I received my unit and just like you no instructions. Where's the challenge when they provide instructions?
I think from all the info you posted and Flexx install video should be doable.

You never mentioned if you had too use the microphone provided. Did you need to use that?
I decided to go with USB AUX. Haven't decided to go with DAC yet.

Thanks. Jay
I connected the provided external microphone. Someone mentioned the display also has a built-in mic. Not sure which has priority and when.
Old 12-08-2020, 11:46 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
Originally Posted by junichi
Your connection seems to be Android --> DAC -->USB_AUX-->OEM_USB. The conversion is A to D to A to D. If you go through two Analog, I do not understand why you get the better quality.
The components of the high end USB DAC will provide better sound quality. Why do assume that the chain is degrading the sound quality?

Also, this DAC can process higher quality MQA audio tracks directly from Tidal.

Lastly, the correct bass reproduction has been restored using the DAC over using the built-in 3.5mm audio out jack.

I compared the same Tidal track on the display plus DAC to using the NTG mode Bluetooth and my Fiio M11 player, and they sounded almost the same. (except some tiny variation in volume levels)
Old 12-08-2020, 11:48 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
This is the video NaviFly has for wireless CarPlay in the Android 10 units. Didn't show anything about hotspot tethering.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tzY2M3frhhk
Someone in the discord channel said you can achieve wireless Android Auto using the Headunit Reloaded app.
Old 12-09-2020, 11:36 PM

W205
The components of the high end USB DAC will provide better sound quality. Why do assume that the chain is degrading the sound quality?

Also, this DAC can process higher quality MQA audio tracks directly from Tidal.

Lastly, the correct bass reproduction has been restored using the DAC over using the built-in 3.5mm audio out jack.

I compared the same Tidal track on the display plus DAC to using the NTG mode Bluetooth and my Fiio M11 player, and they sounded almost the same. (except some tiny variation in volume levels)
I thought that the high quality DAC should be inserted just before the analog circuitry interfacing a human like a headphone. I wanted to say that the analog output of the DAC should be directly connected to the AUX port of HU.
Old 12-10-2020, 08:52 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
I thought that the high quality DAC should be inserted just before the analog circuitry interfacing a human like a headphone. I wanted to say that the analog output of the DAC should be directly connected to the AUX port of HU.
Yes, I wish i had a regular AUX in to my HU, but i don't.

I was able to gain access to full Tidal using USB Audio Player Pro. It works great in the head unit and sends all processing to the DAC.

I also compared Audioengine D3, CEntrance DACport slim and Dragonfly Red DACs.

​​​​​​Dragonfly was the winner.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:51 AM

W205
Yes, I wish i had a regular AUX in to my HU, but i don't.

I was able to gain access to full Tidal using USB Audio Player Pro. It works great in the head unit and sends all processing to the DAC.

I also compared Audioengine D3, CEntrance DACport slim and Dragonfly Red DACs.

​​​​​​Dragonfly was the winner.
I understand that USB-AUX box that the vendor provided emulates a thumb drive where audio files are stored. The audio quality that you hear from the car speaker depends on the audio encoding scheme of the box. Even if the source digital audio is HD, the box encoding scheme is the regular 8bit PCM, you never hear the original HD audio. If my understanding is wrong, let me know.
Old 12-10-2020, 10:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
I understand that USB-AUX box that the vendor provided emulates a thumb drive where audio files are stored. The audio quality that you hear from the car speaker depends on the audio encoding scheme of the box. Even if the source digital audio is HD, the box encoding scheme is the regular 8bit PCM, you never hear the original HD audio. If my understanding is wrong, let me know.
I don't really know how the usb aux box works, what components are inside or what the output is.

All I know is, the Hi Res DAC provides better output quality than the provided 3.5mm cable.

You are starting with better sound quality, so you get better quality into the HU in the end.

It sounds better to me. Do some tests.
​​​​
Old 12-11-2020, 04:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
GLC Mercedes
Good evening benzdude, I just installed an N600 Navfily on my GLC. This screen has the same wiring as yours. I have a problem of operation, understanding when I listen to the radio on oem and I come back to android, the radio does not cut off and I cannot listen to spotify for example. How to turn off the radio if you are on android? What is the procedure to follow to use the set well? I am interested in improving the sound. Could you give me a little explanatory diagram because I am French and it is not easy to understand everything with the translator. For the red and yellow USB cables, they are indeed too short. I put an extender and installed a double socket in the glove box under the screen. Thank you very much for this tutorial which helped me a lot. cordially See you soon
Old 12-12-2020, 03:06 AM

AMG C43
Question

My NaviFly N600 has an Audio Out cable from android screen with the 3.5mm AUX female connector. That was plugged into an Audio In 3.5mmm male cable that is wired into the harness that connects to the Mercedes head unit.
The provided harness does have wires going into the AUX IN Right, Left, and ground pins on the head unit. The wires to head unit also have the expected colors (Right - Red, Left - White, Ground - Black).
Can I leave the Audio Out plugged into the Audio In and use my enabled AUX on my head unit?
It seems that would be the case.
Really wish there was documentation provided.
I guess I will just give it a try when I install.
Old 12-12-2020, 03:47 AM

W205
My NaviFly N600 has an Audio Out cable from android screen with the 3.5mm AUX female connector. That was plugged into an Audio In 3.5mmm male cable that is wired into the harness that connects to the Mercedes head unit.
The provided harness does have wires going into the AUX IN Right, Left, and ground pins on the head unit. The wires to head unit also have the expected colors (Right - Red, Left - White, Ground - Black).
Can I leave the Audio Out plugged into the Audio In and use my enabled AUX on my head unit?
Do you plan to wire the audio out from the screen to the three pins of the harness of HU?
Old 12-12-2020, 10:22 AM

W205
Originally Posted by Patrick LUCAS
Good evening benzdude, I just installed an N600 Navfily on my GLC. This screen has the same wiring as yours. I have a problem of operation, understanding when I listen to the radio on oem and I come back to android, the radio does not cut off and I cannot listen to spotify for example. How to turn off the radio if you are on android? What is the procedure to follow to use the set well? I am interested in improving the sound. Could you give me a little explanatory diagram because I am French and it is not easy to understand everything with the translator. For the red and yellow USB cables, they are indeed too short. I put an extender and installed a double socket in the glove box under the screen. Thank you very much for this tutorial which helped me a lot. cordially See you soon
I suppose that benzdude tested what this discord thread mentioned. https://discord.com/channels/7024375...37583868870688
Old 12-12-2020, 12:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
If your harness came wired for AUX into the HU, then you are lucky.

I didn't check mine and just used the USB AUX box.

Also, How did you activate the AUX option on your head unit?

Do you see this option?

The only way to know for sure is to try it. Hopefully, you've connected it correctly.

All my wires have labels on them. What does yours say?

Old 12-12-2020, 12:55 PM

AMG C43
There are ODB-II devices you can purchase. They plug into the ODB port on the car and enable the AUX functionality in the head unit. I got mine on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUX-In-Audi...EAAOSwNRdYBnUC
I didn't get from that seller, but that is the product I got. Works great with the CarPlay proxy device I have.

The labels on the harness indicate Audio Out and Audio In as mentioned. It does appear the wiring is done. I would need to unwrap it to trace wiring of Audio In to verify. I see wires on the head Unit connector pins that are for AUX IN. Will report back if it works. Otherwise I will default back to USB AUX.

Here is a photo with the labels. The Audio Out comes from the Android connector and Audio in is part of the Mercedes T harness.

Last edited by jdubya01; 12-12-2020 at 01:33 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
There are ODB-II devices you can purchase. They plug into the ODB port on the car and enable the AUX functionality in the head unit. I got mine on ebay.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AUX-In-Audi...EAAOSwNRdYBnUC
I didn't get from that seller, but that is the product I got. Works great with the CarPlay proxy device I have.

The labels on the harness indicate Audio Out and Audio In as mentioned. It does appear the wiring is done. I would need to unwrap it to trace wiring of Audio In to verify. I see wires on the head Unit connector pins that are for AUX IN. Will report back if it works. Otherwise I will default back to USB AUX.

$168 Yikes. When you activate AUX option do you lose Media 1 or Media 2 or any other options?

Instead of unwrapping the cables, grab a multi-meter, put it on "continuity" and probe the pins and the audio connectors. The beep will verify which connector is attached to which pins.

Last edited by benzdude; 12-12-2020 at 01:21 PM.
Old 12-12-2020, 01:37 PM

AMG C43
$168 Yikes. When you activate AUX option do you lose Media 1 or Media 2 or any other options?

Instead of unwrapping the cables, grab a multi-meter, put it on "continuity" and probe the pins and the audio connectors. The beep will verify which connector is attached to which pins.
Says the man that spent $200 on an USB DAC. You can find just the ODB-II for around $50.
Everything else works as intended. It is most likely just changing a setting in the Command configuration files.
I will see if I can get the AUX tested with a multi-meter. Thanks.

I had to find a wire to fit into the female harness pin. The Audio IN is connected to the head unit pins. Will try that first. Out to the garage to start the install.

Last edited by jdubya01; 12-12-2020 at 02:21 PM. Reason: Updated
Old 12-12-2020, 09:35 PM

W205
Says the man that spent $200 on an USB DAC. You can find just the ODB-II for around $50.
Everything else works as intended. It is most likely just changing a setting in the Command configuration files.
I will see if I can get the AUX tested with a multi-meter. Thanks.

I had to find a wire to fit into the female harness pin. The Audio IN is connected to the head unit pins. Will try that first. Out to the garage to start the install.
I have enabled AUX menu of HU at my W205 2016 by using SD C4 purchased from BentzNinja. The investment makes sense for me because I did other ECU coding, such as eco stop last memory, road sign assist, and etc.

Last edited by junichi; 12-13-2020 at 04:12 AM.
Old 12-13-2020, 04:53 PM

AMG C43
I have the unit wired in. The screen works and switches back to NTG 5. The knob works and steering wheel controls work in NTG5. But I get no sound even in Command listening to the radio. I put the fiber optic cables back into the head unit harness in the correct location. I see mute function being enabled and disabled. I did try turning up volume. I don't see how I could have blown a fuse for the amp, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I did change display to NTG5_8.4_full or something like that. Seems to fill screen fine. Of course it does look a little "stretched". I switched to MBUX style.
Not sure if it could be a can setting or some other setting that would impact the audio.
Of course can't verify AUX until I get the radio to have sound.

Anyone else have ideas on Command sound not working?

I will find the fuse diagram and try replacing the fuse for the amp.

The removal of the OEM screen T20 screws was a real pain with the rake of the windshield. I finally had to drive down to the hardware store to get a 3 inch T20 screw driver,as universal driver set was hard to fit in the slot. With a small mirror and a flashlight finally manged it.
Can't seem to get the screen screws to tighten fully in the mount.. Seems someone else mentioned an issue with that so may need to get other screws.
Old 12-13-2020, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2015 C300 4Matic Sport
I have the unit wired in. The screen works and switches back to NTG 5. The knob works and steering wheel controls work in NTG5. But I get no sound even in Command listening to the radio. I put the fiber optic cables back into the head unit harness in the correct location. I see mute function being enabled and disabled. I did try turning up volume. I don't see how I could have blown a fuse for the amp, but I guess stranger things have happened.

I did change display to NTG5_8.4_full or something like that. Seems to fill screen fine. Of course it does look a little "stretched". I switched to MBUX style.
Not sure if it could be a can setting or some other setting that would impact the audio.
Of course can't verify AUX until I get the radio to have sound.

Anyone else have ideas on Command sound not working?

I will find the fuse diagram and try replacing the fuse for the amp.

The removal of the OEM screen T20 screws was a real pain with the rake of the windshield. I finally had to drive down to the hardware store to get a 3 inch T20 screw driver,as universal driver set was hard to fit in the slot. With a small mirror and a flashlight finally manged it.
Can't seem to get the screen screws to tighten fully in the mount.. Seems someone else mentioned an issue with that so may need to get other screws.
Not sure what you did, but after you connect everything try holding down the cd eject button to reset the HU. NTG side should restart.

Also, try gently pressing in top hole on the left side of the andriod screen to reset screen. Use a paper clip. You should feel the switch click.

There are two holes. Make sure its the top one as the other is a mic.
Old 12-13-2020, 06:12 PM

AMG C43
Thanks @benzdude
I reset Command and the Android screen and still no sound. I plugged in USB AX adapter into USB multimedia 1. When I switch to that I see it is playing something.
Confident fiber cables are plugged in to HU.

I see weird behavior with mut econtrol. First time into NTG5 it doesn't work. I then go back to the Android. Then when after return to NTG5 it works. Kind of stumped unless it is a fuse. Connectors on back of screen seem locked.

Guess I will head over to Discord. BTW I have V2.3.5 of firmware. Screen seems very responsive.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: 12.5" IPS Screen 8 core Android 10.0 Android Screen with built in Carplay 4G