C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Road Top Carplay - real life reviews please

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-28-2022, 06:54 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S205 C250d AMG Line
Originally Posted by f.majdalz;[url=tel:8606400
8606400[/url]]I see.. this happened to me too, for me, the way i solve it is that i open my Bluetooth on my phone and i disconnect from MB Bluetooth and connect to car play's Bluetooth then connect to MB Bluetooth again.

see the thing is I don’t want to connect to the MB Bluetooth. Just want it to reliability connect to Bluetooth each time.
Old 09-22-2022, 09:40 AM

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts
GLC300
Originally Posted by artw1224
I asked Road Top, and they said that Car Play does not use any of the OEM functions. Its a pass through, but controlled by Car Play. That means you loose fade/balance, and surround when playing music through the Car Play system using one of the apps like SXM. The Car Play does have equalizer settings to choose which helps, but in my case the fade is a big issue. Too much volume to the front speakers which is easily corrected on the OEM side, but lost when using Car Play. The surround is also something that I like. So, in my case I will be playing my Sirius from the OEM side, and then starting the Car Play for navigation with NO sound. It works if you dont need the verbal directions. I suggested that they consider this as a potential software update. All we can do is hope.
I'm not sure why they would tell you that. I just went out to my GLC300 and played music through SiriusXM using Carplay, held down the star button, and went to audio settings. Balance, fader, equalizer, and surround settings all work perfectly and have an affect on the music playing. I have a 2019 GLC300 with Burmester audio.

Last edited by LenniePaz; 09-22-2022 at 09:59 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 10:03 AM

Received 29 Likes on 21 Posts
C300 4Matic Tenorite Grey
Originally Posted by LenniePaz
I'm not sure why they would tell you that. I just went out to my GLC300 and played music through SiriusXM using Carplay, held down the star button, and went to audio settings. Balance, fader, equalizer, and surround settings all work perfectly and have an affect on the music playing. I have a 2019 GLC300 with Burmester audio.
But are you using a Road Top aftermarket Carplay unit?
Old 09-22-2022, 10:12 AM

GLC300
Originally Posted by cidtek
But are you using a Road Top aftermarket Carplay unit?
Yes, the same one posted by the OP.
The following users liked this post:
cidtek (09-22-2022)
Old 09-22-2022, 10:42 AM

GLC300
Here are my impressions after using it for 4 months. First thing I realized was that having the Bluetooth connected to both the Carplay unit and MB Bluetooth, created all kinds of connectivity issues with the Road Top unit. It seems as though the MB Bluetooth takes priority when starting the vehicle and you won't have sound. The only way to get sound is to turn off the MB Bluetooth and then you'll get sound.

As far as sound quality, I was very disappointed initially until I went into the unit's audio settings. I noticed in the Loudness option was set to a particular setting. I changed that to disabled and immediately I heard a huge improvement in sound quality. I've switched back and forth between using the MB Bluetooth for audio and the Road Top for audio, and to my ears I cannot hear a difference.

Phone calls are an issue. I get a lot of echo when receiving phone calls. I've read people say to use the MB Bluetooth for phone calls and that eliminates the echo, but then you'll have the connectivity issues I talked about previously when using the MB Bluetooth.

Connectivity has been a bit spotty. Sometimes when I start the vehicle the Carplay screen pops right up and everything works the way it should. Other times, the screen just loads to the audio screen and shows that music is playing. I have to hold down the star button to get the Carplay screen to show. I've also had Carplay not load at all when starting the vehicle and when I check connections on my iphone 13 Pro Max, it will say "Carplay not connected". I have to tap on it and sometimes it will immediately connect, but sometimes it will say "unable to connect" and I have to try it a few times before it connects.

Another issue I have that was mentioned by other members is not being able to have voice directions when using Carplay Maps and an audio source from the MB audio side. Not really too big of a deal because I just use the SXM app in Carplay along with Maps, and you get both audio from SXM and the voice directions.

One other slight complaint is when you hold down the star button to get back into the original MB system, it brings me to the Favorites screen. I then have to press the back button to get to the main screen.

Last edited by LenniePaz; 09-22-2022 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:53 PM

Received 32 Likes on 25 Posts
C200
One other slight complaint is when you hold down the star button to get back into the original MB system, it brings me to the Favorites screen. I then have to press the back button to get to the main screen.
Just press the RADIO button - takes you back to MB system immediately
Old 09-22-2022, 02:56 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by matt.jessop
Just press the RADIO button - takes you back to MB system immediately
I tried that one time and the music came on blasting. There's definitely a noticable difference in volume between the Carplay audio and the MB audio.
Old 09-22-2022, 02:58 PM

C200
I use the MB bluetooth rather than the Roadtop one, so I dont get that issue.
Old 09-22-2022, 03:01 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by matt.jessop
I use the MB bluetooth rather than the Roadtop one, so I dont get that issue.
Then you don't have turn by turn audio using Maps in Carplay. It seems with this unit that you figure out a good solution, but then it creates another issue. Also when I have MB Bluetooth connection, like I said earlier in a post, it creates connection issues with the Carplay.
Old 09-22-2022, 06:22 PM

GLC300
Originally Posted by Phat_J
An update to my initial review. I have been using the unit for a couple months now so I can add a couple things.
The disconnection issue I was having appears to always happen on the same stretch of road, so it must be interference.
Sucks because I can't find an easy way to connect it again, other than turning the car or the phone off and on.
Also, the unit has completely locked up twice now, which turns off the entire comand unit, screen, and central controls.
So I can't adjust climate control, volume, drive mode, nothing.
First time this happened I had to pull the android unit out and disconnect and reconnect the wires, then put it back. Before that I tried turning the car off and on, parking it overnight and trying again in the morning. Nope still locked up.

Second time it happened, after letting it sit overnight it worked fine in the morning.

I wish there was a way to reset or restart it.
You can restart the Carplay unit by holding down the Back button until you see the unit reboot.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:48 AM

C200
Post Deleted (it really isnt but I can't work out how to do it) - see below

Last edited by matt.jessop; 09-23-2022 at 02:50 AM.
Old 09-23-2022, 02:49 AM

C200
Then you don't have turn by turn audio using Maps in Carplay. It seems with this unit that you figure out a good solution, but then it creates another issue. Also when I have MB Bluetooth connection, like I said earlier in a post, it creates connection issues with the Carplay.
Yeah I dont use voice directions in Satnav. I just set my iPhone to use MB Bluetooth as default - works perfectly for audio and calls.
Old 09-29-2022, 02:18 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 C400 Sedan
You can restart the Carplay unit by holding down the Back button until you see the unit reboot.
Hey thanks for this tip! This worked
Old 01-12-2023, 09:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2016 C450, 2017 GLC300
I just got this unit. Install was easy. I get music, Whats app dictates messages, calls are perfect etc. Only one issue I cannot seem to overcome. When using Google maps or Apple Maps, I get no direction announcements. Any idea how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
Old 01-12-2023, 09:14 AM

GLC300
Originally Posted by Kevink15
I just got this unit. Install was easy. I get music, Whats app dictates messages, calls are perfect etc. Only one issue I cannot seem to overcome. When using Google maps or Apple Maps, I get no direction announcements. Any idea how to fix this issue?

Thanks,
When you say you get music, do you mean music from Carplay? Are you connected to the MB bluetooth?
Old 01-12-2023, 09:17 AM

2016 C450, 2017 GLC300
When you say you get music, do you mean music from Carplay? Are you connected to the MB bluetooth?
When I use Apple Music, I have to have to switch to MB Bluetooth. I also use Tune in radio to avoid back and forth and not 100% sure what channel that is using.
Old 01-12-2023, 09:21 AM

GLC300
When I use Apple Music, I have to have to switch to MB Bluetooth. I also use Tune in radio to avoid back and forth and not 100% sure what channel that is using.
What USB port did you plug the Road Top unit into, 1 or 2? Whichever one you are plugged into, you need to choose that from the stock radio screen. Then you’ll have audio from the Road Top unit and any app you choose while connected to Carplay will have audio. Right now you’re connected to the MB bluetooth so you are basically using your phone for audio and not the Road Top unit.
Old 01-12-2023, 10:01 AM

2016 C450, 2017 GLC300
What USB port did you plug the Road Top unit into, 1 or 2? Whichever one you are plugged into, you need to choose that from the stock radio screen. Then you’ll have audio from the Road Top unit and any app you choose while connected to Carplay will have audio. Right now you’re connected to the MB bluetooth so you are basically using your phone for audio and not the Road Top unit.
Thanks! Port 2 wasn't activated in the MB menu. Now everything works flawless!
Old 01-12-2023, 10:39 AM

GLC300
Thanks! Port 2 wasn't activated in the MB menu. Now everything works flawless!
I’d recommend not using MB bluetooth. It seemed to cause CarPlay wireless connection issues for me. Click on forget this device for MB bluetooth in the bluetooth settings of your phone. I was very happy with my Road Top but it drove me crazy that it wasn’t touch screen. I felt like I had a radio that was from the 90’s. I’ve since installed an Android screen which is touch screen and my wife and I are very happy.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:27 PM

2016 C450, 2017 GLC300
I’d recommend not using MB bluetooth. It seemed to cause CarPlay wireless connection issues for me. Click on forget this device for MB bluetooth in the bluetooth settings of your phone. I was very happy with my Road Top but it drove me crazy that it wasn’t touch screen. I felt like I had a radio that was from the 90’s. I’ve since installed an Android screen which is touch screen and my wife and I are very happy.
I was on the fence with the screen. Owning 2 MB's prior to Carplay it would be too costly IMO as we simply don't keep our cars long enough. Our next car will end up having it factory installed. I actually don't mind not having touch screen to be honest. I'm more of a set and go guy anyways. If I'm running around to meetings, set my GPS, music and I'm off. Simply a click to announce messages.
Old 01-12-2023, 12:31 PM

GLC300
I was on the fence with the screen. Owning 2 MB's prior to Carplay it would be too costly IMO as we simply don't keep our cars long enough. Our next car will end up having it factory installed. I actually don't mind not having touch screen to be honest. I'm more of a set and go guy anyways. If I'm running around to meetings, set my GPS, music and I'm off. Simply a click to announce messages.
We’re first time Mercedes owners and we both hate the touch pad and dial.
Old 01-20-2023, 03:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 C300 Luxury
I've had the Roadtop in since July 2022 and love it! Quick inquiry if anyone has solved this (and I also have sent to Roadtop support) -

Long pressing the Comand button on the console brings up Siri, just like the Voice Command button on the driving console does. However, when I try to long press when in the Music app to either fast forward or fast reverse a song, Siri comes up and I'm unable to fast forward / etc. Has anyone figured out, or gotten feedback from support, if there is a way to disable Siri activation from long pressing the Comand button and just use the Voice Control button, so that you can do other long press functions in Carplay without activating Siri every time?

Granted, it's a first world problem, but I wanted to see if anyone else has experienced this and found a way around it?
Old 01-22-2023, 08:46 AM

C63 W205 17' + W205 C250@brabus + NSX 95'
Hello, I installed this module but experiencing not very good Bluetooth handsfree quality of calls.
Is it possible to keep connected Via BT to OEM handsfree for calls?
Old 01-22-2023, 11:30 AM

GLC300
Originally Posted by notabenex
Hello, I installed this module but experiencing not very good Bluetooth handsfree quality of calls.
Is it possible to keep connected Via BT to OEM handsfree for calls?
Yes, but you’ll lose turn by turn directions on Maps in CarPlay. Pick your poison.
Old 01-23-2023, 04:45 AM

C63 W205 17' + W205 C250@brabus + NSX 95'
Yes, but you’ll lose turn by turn directions on Maps in CarPlay. Pick your poison.
Thanks. And audio quality?
Or is it easier to switch to MB OEM when there is call coming?

Is it better to be connected only to BT from carplay? or also MB?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Road Top Carplay - real life reviews please