C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

Cant tune due to ECU lock

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2021, 08:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 2015
Cant tune due to ECU lock

Hey guys,
just purchased a mecerdes c250 w205 secondhand at 65kms

First merc, I'm absolutely loving it.

The vehicle had a racechip gts black which I have removed as I was planning to get a stage 2, have taken it to two different reputable tuners here in Brisbane QLD Australia, and they can read the ecu however can't write as they say its locked due to a possible prior tune. Did a bench read with same results

Spoken to the previous owner, he advised vehicle has never been tuned prior. Which given the racechip I erring on the side to believe him.

Both tuners said I have to take it to merc reflash the ecu to stock then take it to them for a tune so they can write on the ecu.

Rang mercedes, they said I have to buy a new ecu. Didn't say it was for a tune, just said I bought the vehicle and I want to reset the ecu. Sounds suss but I didn't know what wording to use as merc usually don't touch anything with a tune.

Question is, anyone experienced this problem before? Does this vehicle come with a locked ecu from the dealer? Is there anything I can do other than try and get mercedes to reset the ecu?

Car is running perfect, no dramas there.

The car came with this OBD2 device so unsure what this is

Came with car

Thanks to anyone that can help.
Will be posting more now that I have an actual mercedes in my garage not just a wallpaper on my phone

Old 07-03-2021, 11:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 221 Likes on 186 Posts
W205 2015
Congratulations and welcome to the MB world. I installed Brabus power box on my car it really made a huge difference specialy when i installed Armytrix exhaust system includind its down pipe. Here is my suggestion. Why dont reinstall Racechip. Do you still have it or the seller kept it? Racechip is a great German product it will also save you from playing with your ECU. Option 2 ask MB to reset your ECU as the previous owner made an ECU remap and you wanna remove it and drive the car as it was designed by MB. Maybe they will love you this way 😁
I dont think they come as locked as many guys are remapping without any issues.
Have a look bellow what AMG8 said makes sense to me:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-amg/707886-ecu-cannot-decrypted-tuned-help.html

Last edited by Andy74; 07-03-2021 at 05:05 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,489 Likes on 986 Posts
This place is a joke.
Agree with Andy. Just tell the dealer you bought it with a tune and you want the engine programmed back to stock. In the U.S. it should cost around $200 or so.
Old 07-03-2021, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
C250 2015
Originally Posted by Andy74
Congratulations and welcome to the MB world. I installed Brabus power box on my car it really made a huge difference specialy when i installed Armytrix exhaust system includind its down pipe. Here is my suggestion. Why dont reinstall Racechip. Do you still have it or the seller kept it? Racechip is a great German product it will also save you from playing with your ECU. Option 2 ask MB to reset your ECU as the previous owner installed made an ECU remap and you wanna remove it and drive it as was designed by MB. Maybe they will love you this way 😁
I dont think they come as locked as many guys are remapping without any issues.
Have a look bellow what AMG8 said makes sense to me:

https://mbworld.org/forums/c63-c63s-...uned-help.html

thanks team.
much appreciated. Love the car, a pleasure to drive
sticking with mercedes all the way.

I still have the racechip, very hard to install on the w205 so I'll take it to the mechanic.

I had a look at the brabus powerbox, but hard to find here in the land down under. I was concerned initially with the racechip, but for what I want just a bit of extra kick, after some investigations seems reliable and safe, the stage two was to get some kick and get rid of the cel due to having an armytrix exhaust also. I got a spacer for this and its gone, so no dramas here.

Thanks heals for your help!

Last edited by AOMAS685; 07-03-2021 at 04:19 PM.
Old 07-03-2021, 05:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by AOMAS685
thanks team.

I still have the racechip, very hard to install on the w205 so I'll take it to the mechanic.

I had a look at the brabus powerbox, but hard to find here in the land down under. I was concerned initially with the racechip, but for what I want just a bit of extra kick, after some investigations seems reliable and safe, the stage two was to get some kick and get rid of the cel due to having an armytrix exhaust also. I got a spacer for this and its gone, so no dramas here.

I have Armytrix but no CEL. Good you stil have Racechip. Did you drive the car when Racechip was installed? If not then you should try it and see the difference.

​​​​​​
Old 07-03-2021, 05:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W205 2015
Originally Posted by AOMAS685
thanks team.

I have Armytrix but no CEL. Good you stil have Racechip. Did you drive the car when Racechip was installed? If not then you should try it and see the difference.

​​​​​​