C Class (W205) C 180 BlueTec,C 200 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec,C 220 BlueTec BlueEfficiency,C 250 BlueTec,C 300 BlueTec Hybridplus,C 180,C 180 BlueEfficiency,C 200,C 250,C 300,C 400 Plug-in Hybrid,C 400

W206 Disappointing Driving Impressions from Long Time MB Family

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-30-2023, 02:39 AM

Received 162 Likes on 120 Posts
1986 Light Ivory R107 560SL, 2020 Lunar Blue W205 C300 AMG-line
W206 Disappointing Driving Impressions from Long Time MB Family

Had the chance to really try out the new C300 for more than just-a-few-minutes recently as my lease on my W205 comes to a close. Really wanted to get a good feel for it but was left feeling rather hollow (kind of like its interior plastics). I’m posting here instead of on the 206 side as many W205 owners are ready to upgrade (now that they’ve had the time to iron out the first year issues) and my view points are much more in the headspace of the W205 as I’ve had two.

The car in question was a 2023 C300 AMG line (US spec). MSRP around 51k, a premium trim that was rather bare bones with the exception of vented seats. Would’ve preferred something with more options but it’s all they had.

First let’s start with the good:
  • Build Quality: Much better! I don’t mean the materials (more on that in the bad section) but rather how everything is put together. It’s a solid car. Creaks are barely there, only existant in a couple areas, mostly the piano black. My first W205, a 2015, creaked like crazy, everything creaked, hell I’m sure all I had to do was breath on it and it creaked. My 2020 was better in that regard, a real improvement but still not good enough for an MB imo. This new model is finally almost as solid as the W204. The doors remind me of the W204, they are HEAVY and close with an even more solid thunk than my 2020. Much of this has to do with them going back to steel instead of aluminum. I don’t have a problem with my W205, it feels solid when you close it but the doors do feel a tad light.
  • The tech. This isn’t surprising, command was getting old and wireless Apple CarPlay is a nice touch. I miss the swivel wheel but it’s easy to live without. Not massive fan of MBUX’s look but it’s not bad and easy to navigate imo.
  • Ambient lighting. Even the basic, non-enhanced ambient lighting was impressive and visible during the day.
  • Sound insolation. The W205 wasn’t a loud car but this W206 is QUIET. On the freeway you don’t hear much, even on California’s terrible, and loud, concrete highways. Very impressed!
  • Ride Quality. The AMG line suspension in the 205 was harsh, no other way to put it. It crashed on bumps and would often leave you clenching before an impact. Both of my 205s were AMG line and I was fine with the trade off because they handled so damn well. The base W205 was a serious boat. This new AMG line W206, while no magic carpet, is an improvement. It feels more akin to the M-sport suspension in my buddy’s M340i. Firm, but not harsh, and something that doesn’t jitter every little crack through the entire body. You are aware it is a sport suspension, but it is finally livable for most people on our pothole ridden SoCal streets. My salesman used to tell me how he would warn non-enthusiasts out of opting for an AMG-line C300 because they would often come back with blown struts (and angry owners) from lack of driver awareness! I personally say blame the city lol.
  • Isolation. Not much to say here, other than the fact that on the road it feels more like a baby S-class than before. You feel more disconnected and relaxed in a way than before, if thats your thing. More on handling characteristics in the bad section.
  • Transmission. NO MORE HARSH DOWNSHIFTS! This is the biggest improvement in my book. It was smooth and even more responsive than the previous 9 speed. The one in my 2020 is very responsive but this went a step above. It gets into the gear it needs to be that little bit quicker. Kickdown feels instant (must be the mild hybrid), and it just feels that little bit more adapted to the car, always ready and never asleep. The paddle shifters, and resulting downshifts, were also slightly quicker to respond than the W205, although still not close to the AMG MCT.
  • Auto Start-Stop. I finally found a car where I can live with this feature. This is thanks to the mild hybrid. It is imperceptible and shuts off the engine before it even comes to a stop. It was also super quick to wake up.

Things to note:
  • The front seats are now wider. Larger passengers of mine used to complain that the front seats were too narrow and the bolsters too big. AMG line cars in 205/6 come with sport seats with increased bolstering. The bolsters on the sport seats are still large however the space between them has grown.
  • Rear seats feel firmer, but still comfortable overall with a little more thigh support.

Now for the Bad:
  • The Material Quality. Oh boy how the best have fallen! The MB-Tex on the seats feels higher quality, not that it was an issue before, and the optional stitched dash feels even better than before, something that was already class leading in the 205. The good points end there. First I dislike the lack of ability to have any sort of trim on the door panels. It’s a gorgeous touch that the W204 and W205 both had. They took a page out of the current BMW G20 3er and cut some costs with the only piece of “trim” on the doors being the horrid piano black around the controls and door handle. Continuing down the door we find the plastic-fantastic grab handle and door bin. The grab handle in my W205 was wrapped in MB-Tex and stitched. It was beautiful and comfortable to grab and rest your hand on. This new one feels incredibly cheap (although it doesn’t creak unlike my 205s) and the painted plastic made to look like metal is just insulting and will wear horribly. The door pocket is hard plastic inside and out, where it was once soft touch on the outside and partially carpeted (feel the back) on the inside in the 205. This wouldn’t be a big deal to me if it didn’t extend all the way up to the arm rest. Your forearm area is nicely padded but your elbow rests on hard scratchy plastic. I get it, door bins get kicked and scratched, hard plastic is more durable, but it shouldn’t extend nearly this high in a Mercedes-Benz. The lower dash is also now all hard plastic. Where you rest your knee in the front is no longer soft and padded but instead hard, scratchy and uncomfortable. The decline in material quality is the same in the rear where many of the soft padded areas are now hard plastic. The lux factor simply isn’t there like it used to. THIS IS NOT A CIVIC MB! DO BETTER. Yes of course material quality is better than the new civic (a car that is half the price), but many of the plastics are the same and overall it is a massive step back from the previous gen C-class. In a car that can be had at almost 60k without getting close to checking every box, this is truly disgusting, disgraceful and more than disappointing. I’m sure they will correct this in the facelift. They’ve gotten too much flack for it and already the new GLC has fixed a lot of these lower dash hard plastic issues in favor of soft touch like before.
  • Cabin space has shrunk. No it’s not an optical illusion, you genuinely have less space in the front seats. The transmission tunnel is wider, which is ironic considering MB made a big deal about how much smaller and lighter the new 9 speed was and how much less packaging space it needed. This is when having a nicely padded dash would have made a lot of sense…
  • The brakes. I think terrible is the word I’m looking for. Ok maybe that’s too far, but they simply don’t inspire confidence the same way the 205 did. The 205 was a bit like a button, as soon as u touched them they bit hard. They were on and off, like a button, but they were responsive, linear (once you got the hang of it) and most importantly inspired confidence. To many, they took getting used too but so will this 206. Instead of being too abrupt, it just feels like it doesn’t do anything. The first half of travel is for recuperation of the mild hybrid system, and only once you pass that does it feel like it switches on. Unfortunately I don’t not feel this system to be calibrated well enough. They feel mushy, don’t offer the same feedback through the pedal and don’t inspire confidence. Both cars have big brakes, you only feel it on one of them. It feels kind of dead.
  • The Handling. I’m not here to say it’s bad, but rather not as good as it was before. The W205 C300 was the lightest in its class. At 3472 lbs dry, it was lighter by anywhere from 80 to 200 lbs compared to the G20 3er, A4, Giulia etc. Coupled with the sport suspension in AMG line, it could seriously hang with cars out of its league. I’ve really pushed my W205 and an M340i through some tough, twisty stuff, and the 205 was just more capable. Every one who has driven the two cars has told me the same thing. In areas where power isn’t a factor the C-class left it behind. To me, the BMW is 9/10th of the W205 in terms of handling capability. Yes ladies and gentlemen, just like Jason Camisa from Hagerty said, MB learned to ***** all over BMW at their own game. If getting your car sideways is your thing that’s still much easier in the BMW, but personally I’ll pass. I prefer precision. Capability wise the sport suspension C300 and C43 are the same, theres obviously more theater in the AMG, but they go around a corner in the same fashion. I don't mean to insult anyone, I sometimes still regret not opting for the C43. The capability is one of the factors that lead me to fall in love so much with that chassis. I fully expected MB to get it even better this generation, but when I heard it gained almost 400 lbs I lost hope. No, it’s not as bad as I expected, the car doesn’t feel 400 lbs heavier, but it sure does feel a couple hundred heavier. It behaves more like the G20 3er. A little more lazy and a little more disconnected. It is important to note that sport suspension on the 205 used to be new shocks and springs, whereas now for the 206 it’s just new springs. MB opted for a “middle” setting on the shocks of the 206, somewhere in between base and sport from the 205. The steering is a little lighter, even in its heaviest setting, but its not all that noticeable. What is noticeable is the lesser amount of feedback through the throttle. The engine is responsive, even more so than before, but I can't feel what it is doing as much as before. Its an electric throttle pedal but I used to be able to feel the revs and "communicate" more with the engine in the W205. This feels more numb, kind of like the brakes. Overall it just feels like 9/10ths of the car that the 205 once was. The engine note is also worse and the pumped in sound in S+ was just distasteful.
  • Ride Height. The car has a sexy presence. It's lower than ever, long and wide. However its lower than ever ride height poses issues. A common complaint about the W205, especially in AMG guise was that it was too low. AMG suspension in 300 all the way up to 63 drops the car half an inch in 205/6. However the 206 is half an inch lower overall compared to the 205. This means base 206 is now on par with AMG 205. I have had issues in my 205 with driveways, having to go at weird angles and very very slow. Sometimes I'll even bottom out over taller speed bumps no matter how slow or what angle I take it at. Within 30 seconds of driving this brand new 206 I scrapped its nose on a driveway that even my 205 wouldn't have an issue with. This makes livability pretty bad, and a shocking choice from MB considering the complaints. This is also a safety issue because SUV drivers fail to comprehend that not everyone can bomb these things like they can and will get right up behind you, sometimes almost hitting you in a bid to prove some sort of point.
  • Haptic Controls. This is not something I planned on complaining about, that is until I tried to adjust my mirrors. It’s not the end of the world for some of the controls like heated seats, but a definite step down for the volume controller that used to be a nice metal roller. However, for tiny little controls like the mirrors that are kind of out of sight (especially while driving), it is definitely a massive gripe of mine. In the 205 the left and right mirror buttons are beneath the directional guide for adjusting and the mirror fold button is all the way on top, impossible to confuse. They are also real buttons that you can feel and operate without looking. In the 206 they had the brilliant idea of making this cluster of buttons 25% smaller all while putting left, right and fold on the same row and making all it all one button that is haptic and easy to fat finger. After adjusting my left mirror I went to do the right one where I barely missed the tiny right “button” and hit fold by accident. This wasted 30 seconds of my time as I waited for all this to undo itself. Now I’m not impatient but this something that simply wouldn’t have happened in my 205 because not only was fold on top of the circular directional guide (where it belongs for safety reasons), but also a real button. Imagine this happened while driving while trying to do a small adjustment. If you don’t want to take your eyes completely off the road to look at what you need to do, you risk barely hitting the wrong button and folding your mirrors, killing your visibility and causing a safety hazard. If they want to keep these haptic buttons so badly they should least revert to the old layout with the fold button all the way on top, instead of on the bottom in the middle of the left and right buttons.

I understand this was a long post but these are all my thoughts on the W206. I think I’m rather qualified from an MB perspective to give a deep dive into my likes and dislikes. I’ve had three C classes. A 2010 W204, 2015 W205 and my current 2020 W205. I’ve also had a W210, a facelift W212 E class and two SLs (R107 and R230), with my first SL and MB from 1986 still with me. I’ve also had a good amount of experience at BMW. Most of these were new, or almost new being a year old at the time of purchase. I love the brand but do not agree with a lot their decisions as of late. Do I like the W206? Yes. Do I love it? No. I loved the W205. Will I get one? Not sure, it’s all about the deal. I don’t dream of the 206. It’s good enough but a definite step back. And at MB good enough is not something they used to strive for. It should be the best or nothing!

I hope this post helps other W205 owners better understand what to expect when it comes time to upgrade. In short, ride comfort is up, interior comfort is down. Build quality is up, material quality is down. Sound and road insulation is up, driving dynamics are down. Tech is up, usability and livability is down. Overall the W206 takes one step forward in some areas but two steps back in others. I really hope they get it right for the facelift because this is not the same impressive car it once was. MB as a whole needs to do better and that stems at the top, this cost cutting needs to stop!

Here’s the only picture I took. Complete brain fart on my end. The interior is pretty to look at. Touch? Not so much!

I must say my 205 still looks good and not all that dated in comparison. Can’t believe this chassis debuted almost a decade ago!

Last edited by AzurSL; 12-31-2023 at 12:29 AM.
The following 4 users liked this post by AzurSL:
chicago-guy (12-30-2023), Keith66 (01-03-2024), Povitica3 (12-30-2023), sidsidhu (12-31-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 09:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,453 Likes on 2,088 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Originally Posted by AzurSL
Had the chance to really try out the new C300 for more than just-a-few-minutes recently as my lease on my W205 comes to a close. Really wanted to get a good feel for it but was left feeling rather hollow (kind of like its interior plastics). I’m posting here instead of on the 206 side as many W205 owners are ready to upgrade (now that they’ve had the time to iron out the first year issues) and my view points are much more in the headspace of the W205 as I’ve had two.

The car in question was a 2023 C300 AMG line (US spec). MSRP around 51k, a premium trim that was rather bare bones with the exception of vented seats. Would’ve preferred something with more options but it’s all they had.

First let’s start with the good:
  • Build Quality: Much better! I don’t mean the materials (more on that in the bad section) but rather how everything is put together. It’s a solid car. Creaks are barely there, only existant in a couple areas, mostly the piano black. My first W205, a 2015, creaked like crazy, everything creaked, hell I’m sure all I had to do was breath on it and it creaked. My 2020 was better in that regard, a real improvement but still not good enough for an MB imo. This new model is finally almost as solid as the W204. The doors remind me of the W204, they are HEAVY and close with an even more solid thunk than my 2020. Much of this has to do with them going back to steel instead of aluminum. I don’t have a problem with my W205, it feels solid when you close it but the doors do feel a tad light.
  • The tech. This isn’t surprising, command was getting old and wireless Apple CarPlay is a nice touch. I miss the swivel wheel but it’s easy to live without. Not massive fan of MBUX’s look but it’s not bad and easy to navigate imo.
  • Ambient lighting. Even the basic, non-enhanced ambient lighting was impressive and visible during the day.
  • Sound insolation. The W205 wasn’t a loud car but this W206 is QUIET. On the freeway you don’t hear much, even on California’s terrible, and loud, concrete highways. Very impressed!
  • Ride Quality. The AMG line suspension in the 205 was harsh, no other way to put it. It crashed on bumps and would often leave you clenching before an impact. Both of my 205s were AMG line and I was fine with the trade off because they handled so damn well. The base W205 was a serious boat. This new AMG line W206, while no magic carpet, is an improvement. It feels more akin to the M-sport suspension in my buddy’s M340i. Firm, but not harsh, and something that doesn’t jitter every little crack through the entire body. You are aware it is a sport suspension, but it is finally livable for most people on our pothole ridden SoCal streets. My salesman used to tell me how he would warn non-enthusiasts out of opting for an AMG-line C300 because they would often come back with blown struts (and angry owners) from lack of driver awareness! I personally say blame the city lol.
  • Isolation. Not much to say here, other than the fact that on the road it feels more like a baby S-class than before. You feel more disconnected and relaxed in a way than before, if thats your thing. More on handling characteristics in the bad section.
  • Transmission. NO MORE HARSH DOWNSHIFTS! This is the biggest improvement in my book. It was smooth and even more responsive than the previous 9 speed. The one in my 2020 is very responsive but this went a step above. It gets into the gear it needs to be that little bit quicker. Kickdown feels instant (must be the mild hybrid), and it just feels that little bit more adapted to the car, always ready and never asleep. The paddle shifters, and resulting downshifts, were also slightly quicker to respond than the W205, although still not close to the AMG MCT.
  • Auto Start-Stop. I finally found a car where I can live with this feature. This is thanks to the mild hybrid. It is imperceptible and shuts off the engine before it even comes to a stop. It was also super quick to wake up.

Things to note:
  • The front seats are now wider. Larger passengers of mine used to complain that the front seats were too narrow and the bolsters too big. AMG line cars in 205/6 come with sport seats with increased bolstering. The bolsters on the sport seats are still large however the space between them has grown.
  • Rear seats feel firmer, but still comfortable overall with a little more thigh support.

Now for the Bad:
  • The Material Quality. Oh boy how the best have fallen! The MB-Tex on the seats feels higher quality, not that it was an issue before, and the optional stitched dash feels even better than before, something that was already class leading in the 205. The good points end there. First I dislike the lack of ability to have any sort of trim on the door panels. It’s a gorgeous touch that the W204 and W205 both had. They took a page out of the current BMW G20 3er and cut some costs with the only piece of “trim” on the doors being the horrid piano black around the controls and door handle. Continuing down the door we find the plastic-fantastic grab handle and door bin. The grab handle in my W205 was wrapped in MB-Tex and stitched. It was beautiful and comfortable to grab and rest your hand on. This new one feels incredibly cheap (although it doesn’t creak unlike my 205s) and the painted plastic made to look like metal is just insulting and will wear horribly. The door pocket is hard plastic inside and out, where it was once soft touch on the outside and partially carpeted (feel the back) on the inside in the 205. This wouldn’t be a big deal to me if it didn’t extend all the way up to the arm rest. Your forearm area is nicely padded but your elbow rests on hard scratchy plastic. I get it, door bins get kicked and scratched, hard plastic is more durable, but it shouldn’t extend nearly this high in a Mercedes-Benz. The lower dash is also now all hard plastic. Where you rest your knee in the front is no longer soft and padded but instead hard, scratchy and uncomfortable. The decline in material quality is the same in the rear where many of the soft padded areas are now hard plastic. The lux factor simply isn’t there like it used to. THIS IS NOT A CIVIC MB! DO BETTER. Yes of course material quality is better than the new civic (a car that is half the price), but many of the plastics are the same and overall it is a massive step back from the previous gen C-class. In a car that can be had at almost 60k without getting close to checking every box, this is truly disgusting, disgraceful and more than disappointing. I’m sure they will correct this in the facelift. They’ve gotten too much flack for it and already the new GLC has fixed a lot of these lower dash hard plastic issues in favor of soft touch like before.
  • Cabin space has shrunk. No it’s not an optical illusion, you genuinely have less space in the front seats. The transmission tunnel is wider, which is ironic considering MB made a big deal about how much smaller and lighter the new 9 speed was and how much less packaging space it needed. This is when having a nicely padded dash would have made a lot of sense…
  • The brakes. I think terrible is the word I’m looking for. Ok maybe that’s too far, but they simply don’t inspire confidence the same way the 205 did. The 205 was a bit like a button, as soon as u touched them they bit hard. They were on and off, like a button, but they were responsive, linear (once you got the hang of it) and most importantly inspired confidence. To many, they took getting used too but so will this 206. Instead of being too abrupt, it just feels like it doesn’t do anything. The first half of travel is for recuperation of the mild hybrid system, and only once you pass that does it feel like it switches on. Unfortunately I don’t not feel this system to be calibrated well enough. They feel mushy, don’t offer the same feedback through the pedal and don’t inspire confidence. Both cars have big brakes, you only feel it on one of them. It feels kind of dead.
  • The Handling. I’m not here to say it is bad, but rather not as good as it was before. The W205 C300 was the lightest in its class. At 3472 lbs dry, it was lighter by anywhere from 80 to 200 lbs compared to the G20 3er, A4, Giulia etc. Coupled with the sport suspension in AMG line, it could seriously hang with cars out of its league. I’ve really pushed my W205 and an M340i through some tough, twisty stuff, and the 205 was just more capable. Every one who has driven the two cars has told me the same thing. In areas where power isn’t a factor the C-class left it behind. To me, the BMW is 9/10th of the W205 in terms of handling capability. Yes ladies and gentlemen, just like Jason Camisa from Hagerty said, MB learned to ***** all over BMW at their own game. If getting your car sideways is your thing that’s still much easier in the BMW, but personally I’ll pass. I prefer precision. Capability wise the sport suspension C300 and C43 are the same, theres obviously more theater in the AMG, but they go around a corner in the same fashion. I don't mean to insult anyone, I sometimes still regret not opting for the C43. The capability is one of the factors that lead me to fall in love so much with that chassis. I fully expected MB to get it even better this generation, but when I heard it gained almost 400 lbs I lost hope. No, it’s not as bad as I expected, the car doesn’t feel 400 lbs heavier, but it sure does feel a couple hundred heavier. It behaves more like the G20 3er. A little more lazy and a little more disconnected. It is important to note that sport suspension on the 205 used to be new shocks and springs, whereas now for the 206 it’s just new springs. MB opted for a “middle” setting on the shocks of the 206, somewhere in between base and sport from the 205. The steering is a little lighter, even in its heaviest setting, but its not all that noticeable. What is noticeable is the lesser amount of feedback through the throttle. The engine is responsive, even more so than before, but I can't feel what it is doing as much as before. Its an electric throttle pedal but I used to be able to feel the revs and "communicate" more with the engine in the W205. This feels more numb, kind of like the brakes. Overall it just feels like 9/10ths of the car that the 205 once was. The engine note is also worse and the pumped in sound in S+ was just distasteful.
  • Ride Height. The car has a sexy presence. It's lower than ever, long and wide. However its lower than ever ride height poses issues. A common complaint about the W205, especially in AMG guise was that it was too low. AMG suspension in 300 all the way up to 63 drops the car half an inch in 205/6. However the 206 is half an inch lower overall compared to the 205. This means base 206 is now on par with AMG 205. I have had issues in my 205 with driveways, having to go at weird angles and very very slow. Sometimes I'll even bottom over taller speed bumps no matter how slow or what angle I take it at. Within 30 seconds of driving this brand new 206 I scrapped its nose on a driveway that even my 205 wouldn't have an issue with. This makes livability pretty bad, and a shocking choice from MB considering the complaints. This is also a safety issue because SUV drivers fail to comprehend that not everyone can bomb these things like they can and will get right up behind you, sometimes almost hitting you in a bid to prove some sort of point.
  • Haptic Controls. This is not something I planned on complaining about, that is until I tried to adjust my mirrors. It’s not the end of the world for some of the controls like heated seats, but a definite step down for the volume controller that used to be a nice metal roller. However, for tiny little controls like the mirrors that are kind of out of sight (especially while driving), it is definitely a massive gripe of mine. In the 205 the left and right mirror buttons are beneath the directional guide for adjusting and the mirror fold button is all the way on top, impossible to confuse. They are also real buttons that you can feel and operate without looking. In the 206 they had the brilliant idea of making this cluster of buttons 25% smaller all while putting left, right and fold on the same row and making all it all one button that is haptic and easy to fat finger. After adjusting my left mirror I went to do the right one where I barely missed the tiny right “button” and hit fold by accident. This wasted 30 seconds of my time as I waited for all this to undo itself. Now I’m not impatient but this something that simply wouldn’t have happened in my 205 because not only was fold on top of the circular directional guide (where it belongs for safety reasons), but also a real button. Imagine this happened while driving while trying to do a small adjustment. If you don’t want to take your eyes completely off the road to look at what you need to do, you risk barely hitting the wrong button and folding your mirrors, killing your visibility and causing a safety hazard. If they want to keep these haptic buttons so badly they should least revert to the old layout with the fold button all the way on top, instead of on the bottom in the middle of the left and right buttons.

I understand this was a long post but these are all my thoughts on the W206. I think I’m rather qualified from an MB perspective to give a deep dive into my likes and dislikes. I’ve had three C classes. A 2010 W204, 2015 W205 and my current 2020 W205. I’ve also had a W210, a facelift W212 E class and two SLs (R107 and R230), with my first SL and MB from 1986 still with me. I’ve also had a good amount of experience at BMW. Most of these were new, or almost new being a year old at the time of purchase. I love the brand but do not agree with a lot their decisions as of late. Do I like the W206? Yes. Do I love it? No. I loved the W205. Will I get one? Not sure, it’s all about the deal. I don’t dream of the 206. It’s good enough but a definite step back. And at MB good enough is not something they used to strive for. It should be the best or nothing!

I hope this post helps other W205 owners better understand what to expect when it comes time to upgrade. In short, ride comfort is up, interior comfort is down. Build quality is up, material quality is down. Sound and road insulation is up, driving dynamics are down. Tech is up, usability and livability is down. Overall the W206 takes one step forward in some areas but two steps back in others. I really hope they get it right for the facelift because this is not the same impressive car it once was. MB as a whole needs to do better and that stems at the top, this cost cutting needs to stop!

Here’s the only picture I took. Complete brain fart on my end. The interior is pretty to look at. Touch? Not so much!
https://cimg8.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...3bc2f69e1.jpeg
I must say my 205 still looks good and not all that dated in comparison. Can’t believe this chassis debuted almost a decade ago!
https://cimg9.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.mbw...2fed948a9.jpeg
nice you finally had a chance to test the W206, really appreciate you writing your detailed impressions. Hopefully you can get to test the new W214 when it comes to our shores and lets hope that it is more positive for you.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:16 PM

Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
nice you finally had a chance to test the W206, really appreciate you writing your detailed impressions. Hopefully you can get to test the new W214 when it comes to our shores and lets hope that it is more positive for you.
It should be more positive. Word on the block is they didn’t cheap out on the interior and I don’t have the expectation for it to be sporty, it’s an E class. Reviews so far seem positive on it, much more so than the new 5er. Sounds like a smaller S class, I think it’ll live up to the hype! Now if MBUSA could just get it together and have it on our shores already, I’ve seen more than a few new 5er on the road, and that car was unveiled after the E.
Old 12-30-2023, 10:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

It should be more positive. Word on the block is they didn’t cheap out on the interior and I don’t have the expectation for it to be sporty, it’s an E class. Reviews so far seem positive on it, much more so than the new 5er. Sounds like a smaller S class, I think it’ll live up to the hype! Now if MBUSA could just get it together and have it on our shores already, I’ve seen more than a few new 5er on the road, and that car was unveiled after the E.
Hopefully you get to try the CLE as well. Tell us how much E-Class is inside the C-Class based coupe/convertible, if there is any : )
The following users liked this post:
AzurSL (12-31-2023)
Old 12-30-2023, 11:15 PM

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
Thank you @AzurSL for this detailed write up. I am interested in buying a C but unsure if I go for the W205 or the W206. This write up gives me a wee bit more interest in testing out the W205. So far I have driven two W206, one with AMG spec and 19”s and another base with the 18”s. I must say that aesthetics makes me want the 206, it is a better looker than the 205, in my book. YMMV. But looks alone won’t cut it,

For you 205 owners, is there really any major difference between the 2019, 2020 and 2021 model years besides some small upgrades here and there? Anything major to sway me to any of these three model years? I started with a budget of $40K for a low mile 2022/W206, but if I can spend less and get a “better” C class for my money, I will be thrilled. I already have an E and an SLK, so very much MB-centric. Looking to change out my 535xi, but not in a hurry until I find the perfect one for me… W206 or W205. My “must-haves” are 4Matic, Burmeister, heated wheels, pano roof, rear and front cameras. Would be OK with an AMG tuned suspension and trims….but won’t splurge on these. Will see what I find as I continue the search…

Old 12-31-2023, 12:41 AM

Originally Posted by Povitica3
Thank you @AzurSL for this detailed write up. I am interested in buying a C but unsure if I go for the W205 or the W206. This write up gives me a wee bit more interest in testing out the W205. So far I have driven two W206, one with AMG spec and 19”s and another base with the 18”s. I must say that aesthetics makes me want the 206, it is a better looker than the 205, in my book. YMMV. But looks alone won’t cut it,

For you 205 owners, is there really any major difference between the 2019, 2020 and 2021 model years besides some small upgrades here and there? Anything major to sway me to any of these three model years? I started with a budget of $40K for a low mile 2022/W206, but if I can spend less and get a “better” C class for my money, I will be thrilled. I already have an E and an SLK, so very much MB-centric. Looking to change out my 535xi, but not in a hurry until I find the perfect one for me… W206 or W205. My “must-haves” are 4Matic, Burmeister, heated wheels, pano roof, rear and front cameras. Would be OK with an AMG tuned suspension and trims….but won’t splurge on these. Will see what I find as I continue the search…
In terms of what model years to look for I would recommend either a later 2020 or a 2021. For the US market MB stopped producing the C class in Alabama and instead started importing them again starting in 2020. This change happened on Jan 1st of 2020, so for the second half of the 2020 model year onwards. Earlier 2020s (like mine) were still built in Bama. Imported cars are just better built. By 2019/2020 Alabama got the hang of it (drastic build quality improvement between my 2015 and 2020) but I still wouldn’t say it was on par with those built overseas. If you do decide to go the AMG line route I would stay away from the 2021s as for some reason MB decided not to equip AMG line cars with the bigger brakes for the final model year. Easiest way to tell where it was produced is the vin. US built cars start with a “5”, those from across the pond start with a “W”.

As for the 206, there is the incentive that it’s more future proof. It’s the current model and will take longer to date than the 205. I would stay away from a first year though, but that’s with any brand.
Povitica3 (12-31-2023)
Old 12-31-2023, 07:00 AM

Received 113 Likes on 77 Posts
2022 C300 AMG-Line; 2020 E450; 2013 SLK350
In terms of what model years to look for I would recommend either a later 2020 or a 2021. For the US market MB stopped producing the C class in Alabama and instead started importing them again starting in 2020. This change happened on Jan 1st of 2020, so for the second half of the 2020 model year onwards. Earlier 2020s (like mine) were still built in Bama. Imported cars are just better built. By 2019/2020 Alabama got the hang of it (drastic build quality improvement between my 2015 and 2020) but I still wouldn’t say it was on par with those built overseas. If you do decide to go the AMG line route I would stay away from the 2021s as for some reason MB decided not to equip AMG line cars with the bigger brakes for the final model year. Easiest way to tell where it was produced is the vin. US built cars start with a “5”, those from across the pond start with a “W”.

As for the 206, there is the incentive that it’s more future proof. It’s the current model and will take longer to date than the 205. I would stay away from a first year though, but that’s with any brand.
Thank you @AzurSL again, for those wise words from a long time owner. Very helpful and informative.
AzurSL (01-02-2024)

Trending Topics

Old 01-02-2024, 10:35 PM
Out Of Control!!

OP. I am revisiting your thread because I realized you mentioned something (re. haptic control and mirror folding) which reminded me of this video (skip to 14:25 mark):
Old 01-02-2024, 10:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

Ever wondered why MB liked plastic so much? It is because the collab with superplastic: https://www.mercedes-benz.com/en/art...-superplastic/

So... "no.." the plastic in MBs are "not ordinary" plastics, they are "superplastic".
Old 01-02-2024, 10:47 PM
Out Of Control!!

I forgot to ask, was the 340i you driven the one with the mild hybrid system with that all that weight? Did you ever had a chance to compare the W205 C 300 with a 330i instead because of the lighter front end in the four cylinder? That way it might (?) had been more fair.
Old 01-02-2024, 11:49 PM

I forgot to ask, was the 340i you driven the one with the mild hybrid system with that all that weight? Did you ever had a chance to compare the W205 C 300 with a 330i instead because of the lighter front end in the four cylinder? That way it might (?) had been more fair.
It was a 2019, so first year of the G20 and if I’m not mistaken the only year, or first of two years before the B58 in the G20 came with the mild hybrid. I use that as the car I compare against because I have a lot more seat time in it compared to the 330.

I test drove a 330i which felt lighter than the M340i but honestly not by much and still not as light as the W205. It felt similar in difference between the C43 and C300, a slight bit more heft but nothing to make you go “woah this one is much heavier.” They both felt one step behind the W205s in terms of outright capability. The W206 C300 and G20 330i now feel as if they weigh about the same, closer than before. While I threw the new C class around, I didn’t push it to its limit (was a brand new dealer car), so I’m sure at 10/10ths it might feel heavier than the G20, but it should, it weighs a couple hundred lbs more. That’s not to say the W206 can’t handle well. It does, just not as well as before. I’m sure it’ll still run circles around the A4 and A5, cars that tend to plow through a corner. Thanks to a family friend, I’ve driven an A5 sportback a lot overseas and it drives like a VW. I don’t tend to even bother comparing it to the C and 3 because imo it’s not even in the same class and I would never ever consider one.

At the end of the day though, the W206 is the more relaxed drive of the two C class generations. That’s as long as it doesn’t encounter a driveway… Maybe the ride quality benefit is a bonus, roads in SoCal have gotten so bad in recent years that it’s made driving around here a chore.

Last edited by AzurSL; 01-02-2024 at 11:54 PM.
Old 01-03-2024, 04:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

It was a 2019, so first year of the G20 and if I’m not mistaken the only year, or first of two years before the B58 in the G20 came with the mild hybrid. I use that as the car I compare against because I have a lot more seat time in it compared to the 330.

I test drove a 330i which felt lighter than the M340i but honestly not by much and still not as light as the W205. It felt similar in difference between the C43 and C300, a slight bit more heft but nothing to make you go “woah this one is much heavier.” They both felt one step behind the W205s in terms of outright capability. The W206 C300 and G20 330i now feel as if they weigh about the same, closer than before. While I threw the new C class around, I didn’t push it to its limit (was a brand new dealer car), so I’m sure at 10/10ths it might feel heavier than the G20, but it should, it weighs a couple hundred lbs more. That’s not to say the W206 can’t handle well. It does, just not as well as before. I’m sure it’ll still run circles around the A4 and A5, cars that tend to plow through a corner. Thanks to a family friend, I’ve driven an A5 sportback a lot overseas and it drives like a VW. I don’t tend to even bother comparing it to the C and 3 because imo it’s not even in the same class and I would never ever consider one.

At the end of the day though, the W206 is the more relaxed drive of the two C class generations. That’s as long as it doesn’t encounter a driveway… Maybe the ride quality benefit is a bonus, roads in SoCal have gotten so bad in recent years that it’s made driving around here a chore.
I see, in my experience the W205 C 43 rolls like a pig in the corners so I think you should be glad that you didn't get the 43 and got the 300 instead : )
Old 01-03-2024, 11:42 AM

I see, in my experience the W205 C 43 rolls like a pig in the corners so I think you should be glad that you didn't get the 43 and got the 300 instead : )
They both have a little bit of roll but nothing too bad imo. I’ve experienced much worse in this class of car. But hey, nothing a few modifications can’t fix