C300 W206 retention system error

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-06-2021, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
c300 W206
Angry C300 W206 retention system error

Hi there!
My brand new C300 arrived and after 20km i got alarm messages of error on the retention system and speed limiter ^^
The car went back to the dealer (i got another as exchange when i am waiting for solutions) and its there for 1 week without any solution on sight. There is any known issue with this cars? Information i got is that the dealer is waiting for instructions from the factory.
Feeling frustated, new car... pffff
Old 08-07-2021, 02:09 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 2,473 Likes on 2,106 Posts
PFL205.064 with M276.823 (Oil pump solenoid defeated)
Sorry to hear about your experience with the car. May I ask, the dealership mentioned they don't have solution to the problem but did they mention why? Did they contact Mercedes Germany (MB HQ) to see if they can figure it out? Can you post a picture of the error message for us to see?
I know it isn't fun to have a new car that have problems already but defects do happen and that is what warranties are for so don't worry, they should be able to help take care of the issues in no time.
In the mean time, if you post some pictures of the problem, forum members here might be able to diagnose it with you while you wait for your dealership's response.
If you continue to not hear from your dealership, ask them for a status update.
Either way, good luck : )
Old 08-07-2021, 02:28 PM

c300 W206
Thanks for you answer.
Unfortunatly i dont have pictures of the error.
According to the dealler, on this new model they didnt had a lot of training due to covid and they are in contact with the factory to see what can be done; according to the dealer its not only my car, other new cars had the same problem. The information i got is that the factory is checking if its some cable or a bug in the software that demand update.
They were able to replicate the error in the workshop and are trying fixes suggested my mercedes HQ. I just wanted to know how mercedes is dealing with this problem with other clients. The car is there for 1 week already so noone really knows what to do with it. Since the car has 20km, simple fix was just give a new one and get that unit to the factory for testing.
Old 08-07-2021, 08:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Originally Posted by freskhy
Thanks for you answer.
Unfortunatly i dont have pictures of the error.
According to the dealler, on this new model they didnt had a lot of training due to covid and they are in contact with the factory to see what can be done; according to the dealer its not only my car, other new cars had the same problem. The information i got is that the factory is checking if its some cable or a bug in the software that demand update.
They were able to replicate the error in the workshop and are trying fixes suggested my mercedes HQ. I just wanted to know how mercedes is dealing with this problem with other clients. The car is there for 1 week already so noone really knows what to do with it. Since the car has 20km, simple fix was just give a new one and get that unit to the factory for testing.
I see. Thanks for your update to this thread. Hopefully they get it figured out relatively quickly, did they share if it is in a specific VIN range, production date or engine configuration that this problem is most common?
Although you are right, they should just give you a new vehicle but if this problem is so common, I am not sure if they can guarantee to you that the new one wouldn't have this exact same issue as well.
Old 08-08-2021, 04:25 AM

c300 W206
Well they shared that its the line of the security system of the airbad and security belts that is giving bad signals. I dont know if its common, they had 2 cars with this problem; production date of my car was supposed to be in May but was early July.
The problem of the new vehicle is that the delivery date now its for next year, so i think they want to avoid that since there is no units in stock. I wanted to know if there are more known cars with this problem as well.
This model is 100% robotic assembled, any bad plug or conection its hard to track during production.
Old 08-08-2021, 01:53 PM
Out Of Control!!

Well they shared that its the line of the security system of the airbad and security belts that is giving bad signals. I dont know if its common, they had 2 cars with this problem; production date of my car was supposed to be in May but was early July.
The problem of the new vehicle is that the delivery date now its for next year, so i think they want to avoid that since there is no units in stock. I wanted to know if there are more known cars with this problem as well.
This model is 100% robotic assembled, any bad plug or conection its hard to track during production.
I see. Thanks for updating us on the details. Hopefully someone else on the forums that has a W206 charms in to see if they too are experiencing the same problem and how their problem is solved or not solved yet. Using robots to assemble cars is not new, Mercedes and most manufacturers had done this for a very long time so no surprise there. In the past, Mercedes used to log every installation down to the time and date of what part was installed, I am not sure if they still do that. For example, for every lug nut, the torque applied by the robot is also logged with the VIN as well, if they still do that then they certainly will be able to trace it back down. If they stopped doing that, then it will be more difficult to trace.
Old 08-08-2021, 07:00 PM

c300 W206
Originally Posted by W205C43PFL
I see. Thanks for updating us on the details. Hopefully someone else on the forums that has a W206 charms in to see if they too are experiencing the same problem and how their problem is solved or not solved yet. Using robots to assemble cars is not new, Mercedes and most manufacturers had done this for a very long time so no surprise there. In the past, Mercedes used to log every installation down to the time and date of what part was installed, I am not sure if they still do that. For example, for every lug nut, the torque applied by the robot is also logged with the VIN as well, if they still do that then they certainly will be able to trace it back down. If they stopped doing that, then it will be more difficult to trace.
Yeah i think they have full traceability of the production. Let's see.. I will keep posted, if anyone has the same problem please shout.
Thanks
Old 08-09-2021, 10:38 AM

Received 28 Likes on 20 Posts
2021 CLA 250
Sorry to hear about the issues. This unfortunately is something that can happen if you are an early adopter of a brand new generation. I bought a 2019 GT 4Door, one of the first examples to roll off the assembly line. I had a problem where the massage seat didn't work, and it turns out they didn't completely finish building a wiring harness before it was installed. It just happens. Hopefully, they'll get it all sorted out and you'll be able to fully enjoy your new car. MB is a fine company, I'm sure they'll take good care of you.
Old 08-09-2021, 10:51 AM

c300 W206
Originally Posted by NovaOne
Sorry to hear about the issues. This unfortunately is something that can happen if you are an early adopter of a brand new generation. I bought a 2019 GT 4Door, one of the first examples to roll off the assembly line. I had a problem where the massage seat didn't work, and it turns out they didn't completely finish building a wiring harness before it was installed. It just happens. Hopefully, they'll get it all sorted out and you'll be able to fully enjoy your new car. MB is a fine company, I'm sure they'll take good care of you.
I trust the MB to solve it and the dealer is being amazing as well; giving feedback whenever he has etc. Nevertheless, it will make 2 weeks that i deliver the car, i should had already an answer from MB HQ, i dont know how long it will take.
I know the risks of the new generations, but i completly fall in love with the model! I will keep this updated.

I made around 2k km with the car MB borrowed me and i am thrilled with it! great response on accel, confortable, its a pleasure to drive it. The new driving assistance is amazing as well, already got me out from some situations If i had to buy a new model, this would be the one!
Old 08-09-2021, 04:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

I trust the MB to solve it and the dealer is being amazing as well; giving feedback whenever he has etc. Nevertheless, it will make 2 weeks that i deliver the car, i should had already an answer from MB HQ, i dont know how long it will take.
I know the risks of the new generations, but i completly fall in love with the model! I will keep this updated.

I made around 2k km with the car MB borrowed me and i am thrilled with it! great response on accel, confortable, its a pleasure to drive it. The new driving assistance is amazing as well, already got me out from some situations If i had to buy a new model, this would be the one!
Good to hear that you enjoy the loaner while MB continues to investigate this issue. At least you are treated well which is a good thing to hear.
Old 08-10-2021, 05:38 AM

c300 W206
Yeah! the post service its great! They gave me another C300 with only 200km They always answer the phones but right now its season on vacations... I dont think i will get an answer before September. Anyway i am fine, doing test drive with this loan Anyway i would prefer a new unit, almost 2 weeks of investigation and nothing... i just dont have confidence on that unit and i am afraid on future problems.
On silimiar problems doesnt MB offer a new unit?

Thank you
Old 08-11-2021, 10:58 AM

c300 W206
Finally i got an answer from the dealer. Seams that its the ESP module that is faulty and they found already 3 units with the same problem. The factory will send a new module to replace.
I dont know what it means, but some microcontroler?
Old 08-11-2021, 01:50 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 361 Likes on 298 Posts
1991 190E 2.3
Finally i got an answer from the dealer. Seams that its the ESP module that is faulty and they found already 3 units with the same problem. The factory will send a new module to replace.
I dont know what it means, but some microcontroler?
It sounds like maybe a microcontroller could be at fault. My father was an engineer so I learned patience when dealing with new technology as there always seems to be glitches that need to be worked out. Sometimes working out glitches with new technology takes time and patience can be a virtue. I certainly understand your frustration and I'm sorry for your difficulty but I also understand the engineering side of the coin as well. It would be great to see pictures of your new W206. I'm jealous because they don't go on sale in the U.S. until next year. It does look like your MB dealer is trying their best to help you so again I would urge patience as the technology is new for them as well.
Old 08-11-2021, 04:26 PM

c300 W206
Originally Posted by 190Efan
It sounds like maybe a microcontroller could be at fault. My father was an engineer so I learned patience when dealing with new technology as there always seems to be glitches that need to be worked out. Sometimes working out glitches with new technology takes time and patience can be a virtue. I certainly understand your frustration and I'm sorry for your difficulty but I also understand the engineering side of the coin as well. It would be great to see pictures of your new W206. I'm jealous because they don't go on sale in the U.S. until next year. It does look like your MB dealer is trying their best to help you so again I would urge patience as the technology is new for them as well.
I kind understand as well, i am engineer.
Do you want pictures of the car they borrowed me or my own? I got the 2 colors inside (camel and black) and outside the selenite.

Thank you
Old 08-12-2021, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,585 Likes on 982 Posts
Mercedes/Mazda/Genesis
I kind understand as well, i am engineer.
Do you want pictures of the car they borrowed me or my own? I got the 2 colors inside (camel and black) and outside the selenite.

Thank you
Pictures of any W206 would be awesome, in the US we have to wait til 2022 just to see them in person.
Old 03-12-2022, 04:20 AM

w206 c200
w206 control unit faulty

Hi there!
My brand new C300 arrived and after 20km i got alarm messages of error on the retention system and speed limiter ^^
The car went back to the dealer (i got another as exchange when i am waiting for solutions) and its there for 1 week without any solution on sight. There is any known issue with this cars? Information i got is that the dealer is waiting for instructions from the factory.
Feeling frustated, new car... pffff
Bought a w206 c200 and less than a month in I got a host of errors:
  • Traction control unavailable
  • Active break assist functions limited
  • Parktronic inoperative
  • Restraint system mulfunction
Its been at the dealership for just over a month while they order a part from Germany. I am in South Africa.