C-Class (W206) 2021 to

48v issue problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-10-2022 | 07:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

This place is a joke.
Originally Posted by teksurv
You know you point out that Chassis often mentions that his opinion of modern MB isn't very high. You'd be correct. Just re-read your responses in this very thread. Lewis Hamilton, hybrid in F1 first, blah blah over and over. Pot calling..something something black. You can't seem to help mentioning your engineer father in any section of this forum where someone is critical of MB. It's tiresome to read a thread irrespective of who's on repeat so perhaps don't perpetuate it.
At least his last sentence was correct:
Originally Posted by 190Efan
FYI, Chassis is clueless and keeps recycling the same old, tired anti-MB rhetoric. The 48V hybrid system in the W206 is the same hybrid system that's been in the MB Formula 1 cars for a number of years now. This is the same configuration that Lewis Hamilton has won 7 FIA world championships with. The Formula 1 cars are a developmental engineering test bed whose technology eventually makes its way to the road going cars. My engineer father always taught me to never buy the first year of a new model as there are always unforeseen glitched that need to be worked out.
The following users liked this post:
chassis (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022 | 10:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Originally Posted by 190Efan
FYI, Chassis is clueless and keeps recycling the same old, tired anti-MB rhetoric. The 48V hybrid system in the W206 is the same hybrid system that's been in the MB Formula 1 cars for a number of years now. This is the same configuration that Lewis Hamilton has won 7 FIA world championships with. The Formula 1 cars are a developmental engineering test bed whose technology eventually makes its way to the road going cars. My engineer father always taught me to never buy the first year of a new model as there are always unforeseen glitched that need to be worked out.
Talk about recycling, all you ever do is repeat yourself ad nauseam. Formula one technology, engineer father, blah, blah, blah. I think you have some issues. When was the last time you purchased a Benz? How much money have you spent on the brand?
The following 2 users liked this post by places:
chassis (08-11-2022), E55Greasemonkey (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022 | 12:04 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

1991 190E 2.3
Originally Posted by places
Talk about recycling, all you ever do is repeat yourself ad nauseam. Formula one technology, engineer father, blah, blah, blah. I think you have some issues. When was the last time you purchased a Benz? How much money have you spent on the brand?
Your own words make it abundantly clear that you're not an engineer and you have no clue to what you're talking about. You have no business being an MB World Ambassador because all you do is post your clueless MB attacks. Unlike you, my engineer father had bachelors and masters degrees in engineering, more than 40 years of aviation and automotive engineering work experience and was a member of the Society of Automotive Engineers. You have no such resume. For the record again, the 48v hybrid system now in the W206 is the hybrid system that's been extensively tested in Formula 1 by MB for years. It's abundantly clear that you don't follow Formula 1 either so you have no clue about that as well. I'm tired of your clueless anti MB rants and I have every right to call you out on it.
Old 08-11-2022 | 12:52 PM

W206
Originally Posted by E55Greasemonkey

Do us a favor and post the production date of your car, it's printed on the corner of the door jamb VIN sticker. xx/xx format.
My car is in the shop. IIRC, it was Oct 2021 or around that time frame.
The following 2 users liked this post by mbusafan:
chassis (08-11-2022), E55Greasemonkey (08-11-2022)
Old 08-11-2022 | 01:04 PM

W206
Originally Posted by FStephenMasek
Lemon laws vary from state to state, but multiple failures are typically required, not just one. Good luck! I've not had any more problems since the second 48V battery replacement, and drove my 2021 AMG GLE63S 265 miles today with no problems.
I spoke with a lemon law attorney who is very well aware of the 48V issue. For CA, you have a solid case if you have 3 documented trips to the shop on the defect.
chassis (08-11-2022)
Old 08-12-2022 | 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
For California, I "think" it's three major attempts and/or 30 days in the shop. I had an Audi bought back due to time. Somewhere I have an impressive picture of the entire interior removed and on the shop floor.

Originally Posted by mbusafan
I spoke with a lemon law attorney who is very well aware of the 48V issue. For CA, you have a solid case if you have 3 documented trips to the shop on the defect.
Old 08-13-2022 | 03:07 AM

W206
Originally Posted by teksurv
For California, I "think" it's three major attempts and/or 30 days in the shop. I had an Audi bought back due to time. Somewhere I have an impressive picture of the entire interior removed and on the shop floor.
Does the 30 day include time sitting in the shop due to massive dealer backlog of other cars in line waiting to get fixed?
Old 08-13-2022 | 01:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

EQ
I would think so, yes.
Old 08-14-2022 | 11:33 AM

2020 C300 Sedan
In California, the car has to be at the dealer for 30 days. the days do not have to be conssecutive.

here are the provisions of the California Lemon Law:

California Lemon Law

The California Lemon Law (Civ. Code, § 1793.2 et seq.) protects you when your vehicle is defective and cannot be repaired after a “reasonable” number of attempts.

The Lemon Law applies to most new vehicles purchased or leased in California that are still under a manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty. Full-time active-duty members of the Armed Forces stationed or residing in California at the time of purchase or lease are protected by the Lemon Law even if their vehicles were purchased or registered outside of California. The Lemon Law also applies to used vehicles when they are still under a manufacturer’s new car warranty. Any remaining time left on the warranty protects the car’s new owner.

Under the Lemon Law, the manufacturer may be required to buy back or replace your vehicle if, after a “reasonable” number of repair attempts, it cannot repair a problem that:
  • Is covered by the manufacturer’s new-vehicle warranty;
  • Substantially impairs the use, value, or safety of the vehicle; and
  • Is not caused by unauthorized or unreasonable use of the vehicle after sale.
What is considered a “reasonable” number of repair attempts depends on many factors. While the following factors are not required, there is a rebuttable presumption that your vehicle is a lemon if:
  • The problem first occurred within 18 months of delivery or 18,000 miles (whichever comes first);
  • If required by the warranty or owner’s manual, you notified the manufacturer about the problem; and
  • You have taken the vehicle in for repair by the manufacturer or its agents:
    • Four or more times for the same problem and it still is not fixed, or
    • Two or more times for the same problem, if that problem is big enough to cause death or serious injury, and it still is not fixed, or
    • The vehicle has been out of service for repair for more than 30 days (the 30 days do not need to be in a row).
If your vehicle is a lemon, the manufacturer must promptly repurchase or replace it. You have the right to choose a refund instead of a replacement.

Lemon vehicles that are bought back by dealers and then resold must be identified as a “lemon law buyback” and have a “lemon” sticker on their door. When lemon buybacks are not properly disclosed and sold “as is,” the buyer may still have rights under the Lemon Law. For additional information, see Lemon Law Buyback Vehicles.

Even if the Lemon Law does not apply in your case, other state and federal laws may protect you. These include laws that prohibit deceptive practices and require vehicles to meet minimum safety standards. For advice concerning your legal rights, consult an attorney.
The following 2 users liked this post by Dstopsie:
mbusafan (08-17-2022), teksurv (08-15-2022)
Old 08-17-2022 | 01:01 AM

W206
Ironically a JD Power new car survey arrived in the mail today.
Old 08-25-2022 | 09:49 AM

W206
I got the car back and promptly traded it in for another model without the 48V for the peace of mind. When you see any super low mileage MY 2022 CPO with the 48V at a dealer, I can almost guarantee you the car had some battery issue before.
chassis (08-25-2022)
Old 08-25-2022 | 09:56 AM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by mbusafan
I got the car back and promptly traded it in for another model without the 48V for the peace of mind. When you see any super low mileage MY 2022 CPO with the 48V at a dealer, I can almost guarantee you the car had some battery issue before.
Well done. What vehicle did you end up with?
Old 08-25-2022 | 09:59 AM

W206
Originally Posted by chassis
Well done. What vehicle did you end up with?
GLB35. I got a GLB250 loaner and liked it but can't live with FWD and the plain jane styling so I ended up with the AMG variant.
Old 10-18-2022 | 03:12 PM

Mercedes C200
48v warning today

I left work today to drive home in my C200 W206 Estate bought new 6 weeks ago. Now with 2000 miles on the clock. Filled up with petrol at a service station and was greeted by the 48v warning and car would not start. Embarrassing as the filling station was very busy and the car was broken at the pump. Gutted to say the least. Left I for about 15 mins and it started OK, but seems to have lost mild 48v hybrid power. Strangely my charging pad for phone stopped working about 2 weeks ago which I consider a combat indicator for the ensuing problem!!
Old 10-18-2022 | 06:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

No more MB:(
Originally Posted by Woodmann
I left work today to drive home in my C200 W206 Estate bought new 6 weeks ago. Now with 2000 miles on the clock. Filled up with petrol at a service station and was greeted by the 48v warning and car would not start. Embarrassing as the filling station was very busy and the car was broken at the pump. Gutted to say the least. Left I for about 15 mins and it started OK, but seems to have lost mild 48v hybrid power. Strangely my charging pad for phone stopped working about 2 weeks ago which I consider a combat indicator for the ensuing problem!!
"The best or nothing"
Old 10-18-2022 | 09:36 PM
Out Of Control!!
MBWorld Ambassador

2017 GLE350 4MATIC
Originally Posted by Woodmann
Sorry to hear, hopefully the manufacturer takes care of you to your satisfaction. Yet another platform damaged by the failed MB EQ-Boost 48V system. Almost 4 calendar years since introduction, and MB still hasn't junked this system. Strong do not buy rating on any 48V vehicle from MB.

The best of nothing.