C-Class (W206) 2021 to

First trip for service. What could it be?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2022, 10:40 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
F150 Lariat
First trip for service. What could it be?

Picked up my car Wednesday, had it ceramic coated so Sunday was the first day I got to actually drive it.

My other vehicle is a 2016 F150 so this thing was… A dream to drive!

Until I had a hard stop, not a slam the brakes but a stop faster than a slow deceleration to a stop because the yellow didn’t last long on the lights. And then it happened. I heard a clunk and felt as if it took a lot more distance to stop than I would have expected.

Hoping it was in the music because the Burmester system sounds pretty good. I proceed. As the next hour progressed the clunk/knock noise came back as the car would get in the last third of decelerating to zero. But only the last 20 / 30 feet of deceleration.

At first only when firmly braking. But by the time I got home no matter how softly I was braking.

Dealer is going to diagnose it Friday morning but curious to hear anyone’s hypothesis.

thoughts?

Old 05-25-2022, 03:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts
2019 MB C300 4Matic (me); 2021 BMW 530i xDrive (husband)
Hmmm.
I had my first hard stop in my W206 yesterday and I was surprised at how short the stopping distance was (from 50 to a full stop, for a fast changing yellow), but I definitely heard these little clunking sounds as the car came to a stop. The clunking sound was like when you brake on a snow/ice covered road. But of course there was no snow or ice. And obviously no steering wheel juddering or throbbing.

However the car performed great and came to a full stop very fast and in complete control. Just the clunking was a bit weird. No previous or subsequent oddities as far as that’s concerned.
Old 05-25-2022, 04:04 PM

Received 22 Likes on 20 Posts
Mercedes-Benz C 300 2022 4MATIC
ABS?
Old 05-25-2022, 07:03 PM

F150 Lariat
Originally Posted by Serg675
ABS?
like the sensor is thinking the wheel isn’t moving when it is. That seems plausible and hopefully to a repair that doesn’t result in my adorning the garage any longer than necessary!
Old 05-30-2022, 10:20 AM

F150 Lariat
Originally Posted by Serg675
ABS?
Update. Dealer said there was a bulletin about the problem. I didn’t fully hear the why but something was over torqued so they need to replace a part. They said it was safe to drive but I’ll leave it there because I am not driving something that clunks and knocks when stopping.

The following users liked this post:
Ron P Baker (05-31-2022)
Old 05-30-2022, 11:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2022 C300
Originally Posted by scriptx
Update. Dealer said there was a bulletin about the problem. I didn’t fully hear the why but something was over torqued so they need to replace a part. They said it was safe to drive but I’ll leave it there because I am not driving something that clunks and knocks when stopping.
I hear the same clunks and knocks, gonna go to service soon.
Old 06-01-2022, 08:24 PM

c43
any updates? Were any of you able to get it fixed and what did the dealer say? I picked mine up yesterday and didn't noticed the clunking noises until today. Someone said there was a bulletin about the issue, can you believe my dealer didn't fix the issue before selling it to me and didn't disclose there was a bulletin for a current know issue? Crazy.
Old 06-02-2022, 05:48 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan

do you have a copy of the bulletin. Have searched numerous places including MBUSA and can’t find any thing on it. Just curious.
Old 06-03-2022, 12:03 PM

F150 Lariat
Originally Posted by Dstopsie;[url=tel:8574224
8574224[/url]]do you have a copy of the bulletin. Have searched numerous places including MBUSA and can’t find any thing on it. Just curious.
I just called and left a message asking for the bulletin number and about how long it will take Mercedes to get back to them once they file a ‘ptss’ case. Not sure I got the ptss right, his message was a bit muffled.
Old 06-07-2022, 11:33 AM

F150 Lariat
Originally Posted by scriptx;[url=tel:8574555
8574555[/url]]I just called and left a message asking for the bulletin number and about how long it will take Mercedes to get back to them once they file a ‘ptss’ case. Not sure I got the ptss right, his message was a bit muffled.
Update. Talked to the dealer this morning. He is going to look up the bulletin for me. Mercedes had them swap break pads from right to left and try that. They said it went away for a short time but came back.

So. No love with the clunking / knocking noise.

Old 06-07-2022, 11:39 AM

c43
Update. Talked to the dealer this morning. He is going to look up the bulletin for me. Mercedes had them swap break pads from right to left and try that. They said it went away for a short time but came back.

So. No love with the clunking / knocking noise.

hopefully its nothing major. For mine, I had the same clunking noise and my dealer said there was unusual play in the front passenger suspension and had to replace the axle and go from there since they couldn't pinpoint the exact cause. Good luck!

Last edited by Vinxboy; 06-07-2022 at 11:40 AM. Reason: Edit: Couldn't** pinpoint the exact cause
Old 06-07-2022, 03:03 PM

Received 46 Likes on 34 Posts
2020 C300 Sedan
Originally Posted by Vinxboy
hopefully its nothing major. For mine, I had the same clunking noise and my dealer said there was unusual play in the front passenger suspension and had to replace the axle and go from there since they couldn't pinpoint the exact cause. Good luck!

my car started doing this today. My dealer Keyes Mercedes in Sherman Oaks, CA has there is no service bulletin on this issue. Waiting to take car in when they give me a loaner. This is BS my car has 99 miles on it!!!!! Will keep forum updated as I find out more when I take it in.